Not Giving Into Fate

By a-girl-who-wishes

I was the daughter of Duke Solon, I thought I was the last child. My elder brother is following in my father'... More

1. Necklace of Rope and Needles
2. Morning Plans
3- Awkward Talks
4- Missing Mage
5- An Unlikely Friend
6- A Lady in the Park
7- Family acting like a family
9- Book Club Initiation
10- The Trash Man Makes a Visit
11- The Memory Orb
12- Long Meetings
13- Dinner and Trial Plans
14. Day of the trial, part 1
15- Day of the Trial, part 2
16- Execution
17- Family Dinners
18- The Morning After
19- The Hunting Tournament
20-Hunting Tournament 2
21- The Grand Sorcerer
22- Rides with the Grand Sorcerer
23- A Surprising Sibling Brunch
24- The Substitute
25- The Opening of Doors
26- Tour of the Tower
27- The break- in
28- Night at the Opera
29- The First Day of Classes
30- Breaking His Curse
31- The Pope and his teas
32- The Bulnan Chief
33- My Coming of Age
34- The Bastard's Reveal

8- Meeting with the Masters

852 24 0
By a-girl-who-wishes

Once again, I couldn't sleep due to my newest near- death experience and with the many things I have to accomplish. However, last night I came up with a plan to get the rings. I'm going to get my secretary to do it for me, he's one of the closest people I can trust on. I need him to investigate for me, and luckily he likes to snoop and gossip.

Lucky for me, it was the last day of the work week, which meant I would be going to the Magic Tower Academy. So there I was, leaving the carriage after a grueling ride, three days of no sleep. Sir Elliot followed me through the halls of the Academy. It was still early in the morning, and no students were on the premise. Some people still walked around, but I caught their voices.

My secretary Mage Kramer would be coming into 'my office' and we would having meetings all day. It was a tiring day, but it wasn't so bad because it was once a week. Besides, around this time of year there aren't many things worthy of gossip.

A knock on my door stops me from looking at the small section of books. I walk back into the room and see Mage Kramer walking in, tall and unruly curly hair. I greet him with a wave and smile, gesturing for him to meet me by my desk.

"How has your morning been? I hope the ride wasn't terrible." He says as I sit down.

Kramer wobbles over and sits down dramatically, letting his heavy bag collapse on the floor. "Not terrible," I chuckle at his off behavior. "Now, let's go over the important things. New students and the amount of people wanting to study Ancient Magic." I sigh sadly.

There aren't many people who want to study Ancient Magic. First, you'll have to learn the complicated Ancient language called Prima. Then you'll have to learn about the rich history of the spirits which our current teacher bores about. Lastly, you learn about curses, enchantments and ancient artifacts which are the interesting things. People take these as electives and they're the best parts of Ancient Magic. But, many people don't want to put effort into it so our enrollment is low.

"Well," Kramer leans over his chair and digs into his bag. "With the Grand Sorcerer's new plan the Master Mages approved, general enrollment to the Academy has increased."

"Yes," I nod my head, remembering the new rule that many of the older Masters hated. "He expanded the acceptance to commoners as well, not just nobles or the rich."

"That means, we have a new class of first years." Kramer takes out a thick packet and it falls in front of me. I grab it and see it's labels as the new students. As Kramer looks for another thing in his bag, I open the packet.

I see a picture of a student, where they're from and empty spaces of their strengths and weaknesses. The first year's first week is an assessment where they will be tested on their strengths and weaknesses. From there, they will follow the core classes, but they can choose a general direction of where they want to study. Once they reach their third year, their studies become more focused.

"These are the students who will be in our program." Kramer slides over a small packet. I hum, taking it and opening. I frown when I see that there are only 2 candidates. Our program is important, but it is pretty small.

"So, we enter the year with 32 people in the Ancient Magic program." I sigh, dropping the packet and rubbing my temple. The 32 people are already working at our program and we are stretched thin. 32 people are struggling to do jobs meant for over a hundred. "Why don't people want to join us? We're cool, aren't we cool?"

I look at him. He has thick curly black hair, big eyes shining through glasses and he's pretty skinny and sloppy looking. "The coolest. Anyways, another thing I wanted to bring up about our program..."

He hesitates to speak and I narrow my eyes as he stammers. "What is it?" I ask, resting my elbows on my desk.

"Mage Hews is pretty old and wants to retire before the school year starts."

"What?" I shriek at the thought of losing one of my favorite teachers. I remember what happened the last time. Because we had such few people in my department, I couldn't afford to get rid of a person. He stayed as long as I was available, and he loudly complained to anyone and everyone, earning me a nickname of a tyrant. People were angry at me, even angrier when I left, leaving two important spots empty.

But, I don't want to leave unless it's absolutely necessary. I love being surrounded by magic, I want to leave good memories here. I want my people to keep liking me... even if I have to get rid of one. I look at Kramer, seeing him scratch the surface of the desk.

"He can barely walk, he can barely hear, he can barely see... he told me he can help in any way but he wants to be home with family." Kramer mumbles.

I frown at the sad news. "Okay. But who are we going to get on such a short notice? Who is capable of teaching all the other history courses? We're all busy."

"I have an idea." Kramer smiles before he once again reaches down and ruffles through his bag before taking out a single piece of paper, happier with with the 'good' news of letting him go. "In the South is a graduate from our program. You should remember him."

I take the paper and read the name and see the picture. "Mage Roman." I nod, remembering my elder a year above. "Can he work here?"

"I don't know." I frown at that statement. "He was last seen just doing clerical work but he doesn't practice. Someone in his family is sick so he stopped working here and just tried to make money."

"We'll send him a letter. Anyone else good at history?"

"...You?"

I look at Kramer and then start laughing loudly. I laugh for a while and then wipe a tear. "You're funny. I thought you said 'you' as in me- the Master Mage of Ancient Magic with a lot of duties and work- teach students history."

"Well, Giselle, you're also the prettiest person in the Academy. If you interact with the students, they will see a very pretty lady, they'll want to look good in your eyes so they'll actually read and boom! We have more people and we won't be so stretched out." Kramer raises his voice at the end.

"Kramer... I- I'm so busy." I sigh. "I can't divert my attention. I'm already worn thin. I guess I can use Mage Hews lectures as a blueprint.... No. I can't grade assessments and such on top of my heavy work load."

Kramer shuffles through his bag once again and pulls out a small packet. He flips to the first page. "Student Andrese and Student Murla are both good students. They're fourth years and can be TAs, meaning they'll do the grading and meet with students who struggle. You were a TA, you should know what they do and how much they help professors." He hands me the packet.

I look over their scores and see they're top students, they would probably help a lot. "Okay, but I still have my duties. I can't abandon them."

"Flip to the next page." Kramer points. I do as he says and see a recent graduate. "Mage Emeu can be my secretary. You give me the mundane things and you keep working on important matters. I give my mundane to Emeu so I can handle your work."

"So my secretary will have a secretary?" I ask, not sure if it will work.

"Yes," he smiles. "Now flip to the next page."

I look down at a bad drawing of five people. "What is this?"

"I call this- the Dream Team." Kramer smiles. "That's you and that's me." He points out the rest of our group members that he drew.

"Kramer, it sounds like you came up with a good way to balance out the workload, but you haven't pushed why I should do this. I don't live here, I can't travel every day to the Academy. You're going to have to get Mage Roman here." I shake my head.

"It'll be a struggle getting into contact with him." He coughs. "I sent a letter to his job. He left on a ship to look for 'something' 6 months ago and hasn't been seen since."

I groan. "And we don't have anyone else?"

"Old men who look creepy." He scoffs. "They will decrease our enrollment rate. You want more people, you show up looking pretty and the boys will adore you and the girls will want to be you. Besides, you can come twice a week. You don't have to travel every day, just on the days that are convenient for you."

I look down, looking at the assortment of packets in front of me. I know that Kramer is right. A lot of people in my department are old, very few young people stay in the Academy. Hews is already retiring, many others will be leaving soon. I will need to fill these empty seats quickly.

Besides, I miss the academia life. It was simpler, there was no threat of marriage or death. I learned new things and befriended (very few) people. Staying in the Academy is the main reason why I took the role as a Master. I didn't need fame, I had my family name to make me famous. But to stay in this Academy, constantly surrounded by old architecture, old books, and the people I befriended who stayed here... the aesthetic of it all enamored me.

I have always wanted to stay here. When I was offered the position, I jumped on it. I don't want to leave and become Queen. I just want to look over Ancient Magic. I sigh, remembering my first year and loving all of my history classes even though the professor was a dud. I remember I loved learning new things, learning the ancient language and conducting experiments.

There are many things I never did in my previous life because I wanted to avoid causing problems between my family and others in society. I gave up this Academy to be Queen. I tried to be the best person, but I was still executed. Fuck my family and fuck Prince Ivan. I'm going to start doing things for me.

I no longer want to run away from the Prince to a foreign nation where he can't find me and live my days as a rich commoner. Why do I have to sacrifice my love for magic? Why should I give up my Master title? I worked hard and deserve my role. Besides, how can I give up this life?

I tighten my hands into fists and look at the packet with new students coming in. I loved school. I was away from my family, hung out with Milo and I flourished in all of my classes. I did well, and I can personally help others too. Kramer wants to help me make my life better, I should take it.

"Fine, but I have demands." I grab a sheet of paper and a quill. "First, I choose the days, times and places where I will teach. Two, you will find my replacement. They will stay indefinitely, I'm just a place holder. Three, I take only two classes-

"Four. We need you to teach about the curses." Kramer interrupts me. I sigh, forgetting that was a class he taught.

"Fine, I will take all four Ancient Magic history classes until my replacement comes on the days I choose. You will take a brunt of the tedious workload that I am in charge of and you will pass on your work to your secretary, aka the secretary's assistant. I'm requesting a total of 4 TAs, one for each class so that they aren't overwhelmed and the students are well prepared." I wrote all of this down, making sure to carefully write my demands down. Once done, I slide the paper over to Kramer to see and to have. He likes to have written records.

"So, I heard you were almost killed yesterday." Kramer quickly changes the subject, and from his wide eyes I can see he's been dying to ask me.

I freeze and look at him, unsure of how the news spread so quickly. "Yes. I was with Lady Horla and we were almost killed. I made a magic barrier, before it could fully be made, he cut me. He used a magical weapon and.... my barrier broke. I was cut," I gestured to the red scar on my neck and cheek. The boils have gone down, but the area is still horribly red. "Luckily, I'm alive."

"How did you survive? I'm grateful that you're alive and in front of me." Kramer moves around the table and hugs me. I hug him back, carefully letting my arms touch his back for a second before moving away.

"A Northern knight found us in the Underbend. He saved us, bounded the attacker and took us to the police." I take off my robe and show him the still blistering wound on my arm. "This is the result of the weapon. Where is Master Pamen?"

"Are you going to confront him?" Kramer shrieks as he watches me walk to the door, following me.

"I was attacked by his weapons. Either he knows his weapons are being leaked or he doesn't. Anyways, a Master was attacked by his carelessness. You know the law." I stop at my door and look over my shoulder. Kramer takes a deep breath and nods.

"I will call for an emergency meeting, secretaries included. Just... wait in the conference room." Kramer walks around me and opens the door. "We need people as eyewitnesses. I'll take care of you."

Kramer flashes me a warm smile and I nod. I can count on him, I have to. I leave my office, which is just made of lame books and clothes. I walk out and see Sir Elliot. I gesture for him to follow me, and he does.

The conference hall isn't far. I wrap my robe around me tightly, making sure it rests perfectly around me. I tell Sir Elliot to wait outside, saying only Masters and one accompaniment. He nods and stands guard.

I take my seat, choosing to sit where the Grand Master usually sits. I rest my elbows on the table and allow my fingertips to touch. One by one, a Master and their secretary enters. They each start to raise their voice at my audacity, but with a glare they shut up and take their seats. Kramer returns, sighing when he sees me and everyone is here except for Pamen and his secretary. Kramer stands behind me, the room quiet as they wait for me to speak.

Finally, Pamen cockily enters the room, freezing in his tracks when he sees me. "What're you doing sitting there?" He yells, looking at everyone in disbelief. I point at his seat. His face goes red but he follows my wordless command. I stand up, shrugging off my robe.

"Yesterday, I was attacked by the serial killer. While the trial has not started yet and no confirmation from it has supported the claim that he is the serial killer, I have proof that he is. He told me himself. Had I not been a Master and not been able to use magic to save myself, I would've died."

"I- I did hear about it. I'm glad you're good, Master Solon." Master Ofran speaks up.

I toss him a glare. "Do you not see these boils?" I gesture to my face, neck and arms. "The man had a magical weapon, a weapon that cannot be made anywhere else." I look directly at Pamen who goes red.

"Are you accusing me of providing weapons to a serial killer? That's preposterous! I would never!" Pamen stands up, yelling out his anger.

I slam my hands on the desk. "You know the laws! There is only one place on this entire continent that can make magical weapons! You oversee the production and distribution of these weapons to the Battle Mages, to the Imperial army generals and the Church. Those are the only three places you can sell weapons to. You are not able to fulfill your role! You seek the Grand Sorcerer's title, you fail to fight our enemies, and you are months behind paperwork. You allow dangerous weapons to go to a black market where dangerous people like my serial killer get their hands on dangerous tools, you willingly sell dangerous weapons to the highest bidder or you are just negligent in your work and allow the secret selling of magical weapons through the black market. Explain to all of us why you are fit for your role. "

"Master Solon," Master Mablem asks, he's trying to calm down the situation. "Please explain to us what had happened."

I look him and nod. I sit down, and the other two men take their seat. "I was strolling with Lady Horla and we got lost and ended up in the Underbend. We were stalked and cornered by a man. He shot me with a paralyzing dart, but I managed to stay conscious for a few more minutes. In the middle of putting up a barrier spell, he cut me with a machete. It instantly boiled up and started festering." I show them my arm, revealing the ugly boils that have not healed yet.

"That is clearly magic related." Feant gags. "You say it happened instantly?"

"Yes." I nod my head. "I then put up the barrier, but it was too late. He kept attacking it. Because I was weakened and he was using that magical machete, the barrier broke and so he cut my face and neck." I point to the last two wounds. "I was saved by a Northern Knight and I survived."

Feant lets out a low whistle. "In the end, a Master was attacked. As our laws state, if one of us is attacked, then there will be a deep investigation. Where is the weapon and the man?"

"He was taken by the Imperial Knights, they must also have his weapon for evidence. I'm sure we can look at it and interrogate him. The trial will be soon." I explain to the other Masters.

"Normally the Grand Sorcerer would be in charge of looking at it, but since I temporarily hold his position, I will go with you Master Solon." Ofran speaks up.

"Thank you, Master Ofran." I smile. I look to Pamen who sits rigidly.

Master Cappum clears his throat. "Now, Master Pamen, explain to all of us how your weapons have landed in the hands of a killer."

"I did no such thing," Pamen grunts. "I-"

"Shut up." Pamen's secretary screeches. He has his hands in fists and looms over Pamen angrily. "I'm tired of following you! You're a bad man who let power and greed go into his head. He sells weapons to the highest bidder. He made me be quiet by saying it will all be fine, but I'm done with it. I refuse to work here with all of the corruption." He takes off his robe and starts stomping on it.

"Wait!"

"Shut up Loid!" Pamen stands up and grabs him by the neck.

Feant quickly wraps his arms around Pamen and pulls him off of the secretary. Cappum's secretary runs to the secretary and makes sure he's okay. Pamen is pushed to the table, Kramer and the other secretaries pin him down. I make eye contact with Ofran and I nod.

"We'll take him to the dungeons for now, make sure no one helps him until we call the Imperial Knights. He'll be taken to jail after we go over what he's done. Loid was it?" Ofran walks over to the de-robed man who manages to stand.

"Yes, sir."

"Please come with me. We will be going over everything. We strive to make sure there are no corrupted deeds. Please help us correct the wrongs." Ofran gives his hand out for a shake. I look at them and watch Loid shake his hand.

"My pleasure. I'm glad to see not everyone is tainted." He smiles. "I joined because I loved the fight. I want to continue providing support to our brothers."

"Master Solon, have you gone over everything?" Ofran asks me. I nod my head. "Good, now please be treated."

Mablem walks over to me. "I can treat you, please come with me." I nod and follow him to his office, Sir Elliot and Kramer and Cappum's secretary following us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69 20 30
Nothing in my life had ever made sense. They told me it was normal, I'd grow into who I was supposed to be, that things would get better; here I am n...
24.2K 998 26
Inure: (v.) To accustom to accept something undesirable, evil, or painful. An other worldly girl is reincarnated as Queen Estella de Royalis, the vil...
5.7M 303K 125
Falling into the fiery hell she created must've been the perfect way for her to die. The other woman would then become the heroine that saved the tow...
129K 3.1K 27
In my life it was always, "You're the older sister be more mature." or, "Your sister is sick, you have to take care of her!" When it was my graduati...