Too Late To Say Goodbye | Tom...

By helpingthemind

~1923~ In which Tommy's life seems to be falling into place. Business is expanding, the family is thriving... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
87.
88.
89.
90.
91.
92.
93.
94.
95.
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.
101.
102.
103.
104.
105.
Author's Note

39.

9.3K 317 25
By helpingthemind

Goosebumps spread across her body as a cold wind came in through the open window of the bedroom.

She tried to sleep but after sometime of tossing and turning she gave up.

It was late and she was expecting Polly, Ada and Michael to have been back by now.

With no word from them, it left her with a bad feeling in her gut that something was wrong.

So she laid on her back, staring at the ceiling, waiting to hear them come home.

It wasn't until almost an hour later that she heard the front door open.

Quickly standing up, slipping on her baddies, and throwing her silk bathrobe over her night gown, she made her way down stairs.

She made it about half way down them before stopping, seeing the looks on their faces.

Polly and Michael's were mournful. While Ada had tear stains down her cheeks.

Bella's mouth fell slightly open, her gut was right.

"What's happened?" She asked carefully

Her heart was constricting in her chest. Did something happen to Tommy? Was he okay? Would her last memory of him be an argument?

All these questions ran through her mind, and she felt herself get light headed.

Polly was the first to speak up "...it's Grace...there was an Italian there...she's gone."

Bella bit her lip, taking in the information, she wasn't sure how to react. Somehow she felt like this was her doing. Grace was innocent in all of this, yet she paid the price.
She thought about Tommy. Their argument didn't matter anymore, nor did her relationship with Grace.
She was the mother of his child, the woman that made him feel love again after the war and she knew Tommy was blaming himself...and oh poor Charlie.

"Where is he?" Bella asked just above a whisper once she found her voice again

Polly turned to quickly look at her son and niece. But Ada spoke before she got the chance to,
"He went back to the Arrow House to be with Charlie."
Tommy needed Bella right now, Ada knew that.

Even if he shut everyone out and sent everyone away...he'd let Bella in.

She swallowed her remorse and made her way downstairs.
"I-I need to go" she spoke looking between the three

Ada nodded "here take my car" she said while handing her the keys

Bella grabbed them with shaky hands and quickly went to leave the house.

"Drive safe, Bella" Michael told her as she past by him.

*****

Tommy sat in the empty living room of the arrow house.

He sent all the maids and servants away for the night. He wanted to be alone.

Except for Charlie, who was sleeping upstairs. Not knowing what events took place this evening.

That's what made Tommy feel the most guilt.

That bullet was meant for him. Not her. Now his child has to grow up without his mother.

A fire was burning to his right, but he still felt cold and empty. The drink he swirled in the cup in his hand, did nothing to numb the feeling inside.

Grace was gone and it was his fault.

The other thought that plagued his mind was that the curse was meant for Bella.

Maybe if he listened to her this wouldn't have happened.

But at the same time if she never got upset with him, she would've been at the foundation dinner and it could've been her in the morgue right now.

He took a large sip of the alcohol.

Then the front door opened.

Tommy instantly stood up and swung his arm towards it pointing to tell whoever it was to leave.

"I said no one here Tonig-...oh" he stopped his command short when he saw that it was Bella standing in the entry way of the living room.

Her hair was a little messy, only in her night clothes and her face full of worry.

"Tommy...." She spoke softly and carefully, taking one step closer to him

He watched her from his spot, not saying anything. But once he looked up into her eyes, he slumped back down on the couch, his head in hands.

He couldn't look at her. When he saw her eyes all he could picture was them being as lifeless as Graces.

Bella was in front of him in a second. She reached out to touch him, wanting to give him some sort of comfort but she hesitated

"I'm so sorry, Tommy" she whispered

He didn't reply instead he brought his hands up to hold her hips, pulling her closer so he could rest his head on her stomach and her stand between his legs.

At this she brought one hand to the back of his head and the other to rub his back.

They were silent for a few moments. Tommy just wanted her close, to know that she was still here, to feel her comfort.

She was always here.

"I'm sorry peach. I shouldn't have said that to you" he apologized for their argument. This was his first time seeing her since then. And he couldn't bare the thought that it could've been the last thing he ever said to her.

"No Tommy, shh it's okay." She told him kindly. She had already forgiven him. Nothing should be about her right now.

Pulling back slightly to look up at her, she was looked down at him with those eyes. Those beautiful grey eyes he thought.

Slightly raising his eyebrows "Bella you were right, I should have listened to you..."

She slowly shook her head "no it's okay. This isn't your faul-"

"It is. That bullet was meant for me. Because of a choice I made. A choice that you told me not to make..."
He paused for second, she felt his grip on her hips tighten, then he hesitantly continued
"that sapphire had a gypsy curse on it and it was meant for you Bella, and if you were the one wearing it, I wouldn't be able to live with that."

Her eyes softened upon hearing his confession. Moving her hands to his cheeks, and resting on her knees in front of him, making sure he was really paying attention.

"Tommy I want you to know, if anything ever happens to me, I will never blame you. What happened tonight wasn't your fault, it was all unfortunately left to fate...I'm sorry we've been distant lately, but We're here now, together. I'll help you with whatever you and Charlie need...."
She looked into his mournful blue eyes, wishing she could take away any pain he felt. "...I've miss you Tommy and I'm not going anywhere."

"I've missed you too." He told her and brought her closer 

*****

Bella and Ada both decided to move into the Arrow House for the time being.

Tommy's been distance. The guilt has been eating at him, it was obvious to everyone.

He spends his nights out in the field. Only coming back in the morning to feed the horses and to see Charlie...and Bella. Only she doesn't know that.

He hasn't talked to her much, but the two watch each other from a distance.

She spends most of her day with his son. While Ada's been watching over the business.

The Russian business has been pushed aside for the time being. Even Solomon's and Sabini sent flowers.
It was out of respect. But everyone knew this wouldn't last forever.

Micheal has been the new man in charge of the legal business. He reports to Ada, who leaves notes for Tommy. But she doesn't believe he fully looks at them.

It's been like this for a couple weeks now.

Bella's been staying in the guest room next to Charlie's. She wanted to be close, in case he needs her.

She woke up that morning to the birds chirping outside.

It was still early, but it was time to get up. Because just like his father, Charlie is an early riser.

Freshening up for the day, and getting dressed in a white dress that reaches about mid calf. She also decided to tie half her hair back with a light green ribbon.
She's learned to try and keep as much hair out of reach from Charlie's little hands.
Slipping on her flats, she was ready for the day.

Exiting her room, she took the couple steps over to Charlie's to see him already awake and waiting for her.

He's been growing so fast. He can sit up by himself and has gotten better with his speech.

Everything about him made Bella happy. Her whole life she never really thought about being a mother but spending time and taking care of Charlie is starting to make her change her mind.

"Good morning my sweet boy." She cooed as she picked up the smiling toddler

"Bwella!" He cheered as she did so, making her smile grow even more, as she adjusted him on her hip.

"What do you say we go make some breakfast?" She asked him

He still held the goofy look on his face.

The two made their way into the kitchen. The cooks and maids still haven't been around much. Only in the afternoon to help clean the house, but in the morning it's just her and Charlie in the kitchen. Sometimes Ada and Karl joined them but they like to sleep in.

Bella placed him in his height chair. Then she made him some scrambled eggs and juice.

She stood leaning against the counter, watching him while munching on some toast.
It was peaceful.

Her chewing paused for a second when she looked up and saw Tommy standing in the door way.

He was dressed in his suit, coat and hat. He must be so cold out there at night, she thought.

He stayed in his spot for a second before looking up at her, only giving her a quick glance before moving to squat next to Charlie at the table.

She wasn't offended by his action. Sometimes he would come in the morning and not even acknowledge her at all, other times he would say 'good morning' and ask how she was.

It all depended on how he was feeling that day.

But whether she knew it or not, he always kept an eye on her. Making sure she was okay and not overwhelmed with helping take care of Charlie was important to him, even in his time of grieving.

Bella looked down at the toast in her hand as Tommy stroked the back of  Charlie's head, wanting to give them some privacy.

After a few moments, she saw his shoes in front of hers.
Looking up, he was standing about a foot away from her. She watched as his eyes scanned her face.

"How are you Bella?" He asked

Her lips twitched a little "I'm good, Tommy. How are you doing? Are you warm enough at night?" She asked him

Her questions caused him to let out a small airy laugh and shake his head. She's taken on a lot of his personal duties, yet here she was still making sure he was okay.

"Yeah, peach. Im warm enough." He still kept looking her over. It almost felt like he couldn't believe she was standing in front of him.

Reaching out she placed a hand on his arm, but before she got to ask him if he was okay, his hand came up and grabbed hers, holding it between them.

He played with her fingers for a second before looking up at her
"Why don't you and Charlie come feed the horses with me?"

Bella smiled. This was the first time since she moved in that he asked her to do something with him. So she nodded excitedly

"of course, just let me clean up here real quick"

Tommy nodded and gave her hand a squeeze before letting it go, allowing her to do what she needs to.

She took Charlie's now empty plate and placed it in the sink.
Tommy watched as she wet a cloth and went back over to his son, wiping his face clean.

The action was simple, but it made him feel a sense of warmth inside. He liked the sight of Bella caring for Charlie.

After his face was all clean, she placed the cloth down and pick the toddler up again, resting him on her hip. Then turned back to his father.

"Ready?" She asked him

"Yeah" he spoke quietly

*****

After getting Charlie dressed in his coat, they were heading down the dirt path towards the stables.

It was a bit windy, so Bella was glad she decided to tie her hair back and slipped on a coat as well.

The walk was peaceful and quiet. The only sound was the occasional noise from Charlie in Bella's arms.

Tommy walked at a steady pace next to them, with his hands on his pockets.
He'd glance to his right every once in a while, quickly looking at the two, then back at the ground.

Soon they reached the cold, damp stables. As soon as they stepped inside, she heard the little puffs of air from one of the stalls.

"Oh my goodness, Monaghan Boy!" Bella cheered and walked a little faster, leaving Tommy behind. 

He took his time getting to her, watching from a distance as she greeted her favorite horse, and even brought his sons hand up pet his nose as well.

She looked beautiful he thought, her white dress and green ribbon made her look so pure. And maybe pure is what he needs in his life.

As he got closer he was able to hear Bella talking to Charlie,

"This is monaghan boy, Charlie. He use to help make me feel safe, 'fore your father came along." She spoke sweetly

"Boy!" Charlie spoke, not understanding anything She was telling him

But still she smiled and nodded her head at him "that's right, Charlie, his name is monaghan boy!"

It was then Bella looked up and saw Tommy finally reached them, standing only a few feet away. His face was one of admiration, but Bella didn't know that.

She smiled at him too, "come say hi to your horse Tommy"

His lips twitched, and he moved to get closer. Once in reach he brought his hand to rest on Bella's back and the other to pet the horses nose.
Then looked down at her.

"Thank you, Bella." He spoke

She still wore her warm smile on her face "you never have to thank me, Tommy."

He brought his head down to leave a lingering kiss on her forehead, closing his eyes "I do."

Their moment was quickly interrupted when Charlie stuck his little arms between them and quickly pushed Tommy away from Bella.

Bella giggled, while Tommy looked surprised at Charlie's little frown.

"Someone's gotten very protective over me in the last few weeks." Bella teased him

This caused Tommy to finally smile and step closer, petting Charlie's head. "Looks like I have some competition."

"Suppose you two will just have to learn to share me." She teased again

With a small smirk he nodded "I can live with that, peach."

He liked the idea of the three of them together.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7K 484 8
THE WILDEST OF THEM ALL - a Peaky Blinders fanfiction -IN WHICH all sorts of things happen, at home and outside, every day, but Darcy doesn't recall...
241K 4.6K 26
She's always been there in the background for Tommy Shelby; Forever loyal to the man she loves but with new complications with the police and new ene...
11K 202 26
Amelia's fear begins when she realizes the darkness within her family. She has always wanted to be part of the gang, Peaky Blinders, but now she is n...
169K 2.6K 44
At the age of 19, finn shelby is the baby of the family. But not for long. As a face from the past comes back to haunt him and brings with her a litt...