Lavender | Wakatoshi Ushijima

By SpringAppleBlossoms

Hana Takahashi is the one fatefully assigned to help him. She is just as Wakatoshi Ushijima vividly remember... More

Author's Note!
Prologue
01 | Work
02 | Classes and Kiyomi
03 | Unsubmitted Work
04 | Notes and Thoughts
05 | Lessons
06 | Who?
07 | Groceries
08 | Cherry Blossom Petals
09 | Troubling Talks
10 | Out
11 | Out Pt. 2
12 | Rooftop
13 | Reoccurring Thoughts
14 | Visit
15 | Visit Pt. 2
16 | Appointment
17 | Text
18 | Plans and Preparation
19 | Looks and Lies
21 | Spring Sunburns
22 | Waiting
23 | Flowers and Gratitude
24 | Symptoms
25 | Poetry
26 | Honor
27 | Unfold
28 | Too Late
29 | Grieve
30 | Radiant Regret
31 | Overtime
32 | Admit
33 | Moonlight Depiction
34 | Hollow
35 | I Hope
36 | Dial
37 | Forgive
38 | Supposed To
39 | Losing Touch
40 | Heal
41 | Signs?
42 | Invisible
43 | Reach
44 | An Unfocused Cycle
45 | Beautiful
46 | Silent Sun
47 | I Know Your Heart
48 | Fault
49 | Young Again
50 | Sugar-sweet

20 | BBQ

53 2 0
By SpringAppleBlossoms

Wakatoshi and I arrive at the restaurant. Unsurprisingly, it's a barbecue place. It's a bit crowded so I stay close to him.

Looking at his phone screen, he says,

"We need to go in and place an order."

"Okay."

We walk in and I walk behind him as we pass through.

We wait in line, making awkward conversation as he texts the team. We finally reach the counter. As we walk up, he pulls up the order. I see her.

Though it's been two years, she still manages to give me that nasty look of hers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Last one, Suzuki." Kiyomi speaks.

"Thanks" He takes the chair from her.

"Okay, I think that's the last of the things!" Tendō says.

"We've emptied the chairs, the umbrellas, the cooler, and the bags." Reon points as he talks.

"Yeah. Now we need to set everything up. Semi, mind giving me a hand unfolding the chairs?" Yusho says.

"Sure thing." 

"Gather round! We've got an update from Ushiwaka." Umeda yells.

We're getting barbecue like you said. What do you all want? Umeda reads aloud.

With that being said, Goshiki and Yu begin jumping and squealing.

"Tone it down, you two." Shirabu says irritatedly.

"Let's definitely get ribs." Jin says.

"And steak." Kiyomi adds, laughing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cashier, could it be? Kirai Fujita? With wide eyes, all I can mutter is,

"Fujita?"

"Takahashi?" She says, the color draining from her face.

"It's been a while! How have you been?" I put my hand out to shake hers.

"I've been fine." She doesn't shake my hand. Instead, she looks down and presses buttons on the register.

"How's your school? I hope it's all working out for you." I put my hands together. 

"What would you like to order?" She says blankly, sighing. 

Have it your way. I stay quiet.

"We'd like to order three orders of ribs and steak. Two bottles of iced tea too." Wakatoshi doesn't look too happy, something about him is tense.

She looks up at him and beams. The cheekiest smile I've ever seen.

"Sure thing! I'll get them started on the order for you." She winks.

"We have to wait here, I suppose?" Wakatoshi asks as he pays. A little beep comes out from the register after he puts his phone up to the pad. 

"Yeah! So what's your name?" Her hair is around her fingers. She leans on the counter.

"Ushijima." He says.

"I know, I know. This is a funny pairing, the top ace Wakatoshi and the Takahashi girl." She laughs.

"Please don't call me by my first name. It's not appropriate." He's on edge. She ignores him.

"Is it really you, Hana? I haven't seen you in a while. You've lost a little weight, it's no wonder you ordered this much." She drags her finger up and down. 

Before I get the chance to say anything she says,

"I wouldn't be surprised if she finishes most of it, I mean look at her! She looks starving am I right?" She leans forward and touches his arm, a hand over her mouth while she snickers sheepishly. He back away.

Is something wrong with her? 

"I don't think it's any of your business." I say.

"Don't get jealous, Hana. You know I'm only trying to be friendly with Ushi."

"It's unnecessary to use her looks." He says sharply.

"You know I'm only joking, no need to get serious." She raises the pitch of her voice and looks up at him. 

"Don't comment on her. Get to the point." He crosses his arm.

"We're both dying to hear what you have to say." I step closer, smiling.

"I believe the words are slipping from her. I'll give it to you in short. Kirai assumes you and I are in a romantic relationship, Ushijima." 

His mouth makes an O shape, since he finally understands. I look her straight in the eye. She says nothing, intimidated.

"Don't tell me you're still upset?" I tease her.

"What?" She says in her normal tone.

"Come on, it's in the past. There's no need to hold a grudge." I laugh.

She looks pissed. I stand at her side and face Wakatoshi, who's clueless.

"Wakatoshi must be confused. Kirai and I had a few nice encounters. Care to join in?" I look at her.

She goes dead silent, not making a sound like prey hiding from the predator. She's even paler.

"How about you go and grab our food? I'm pretty hungry."

She immediately walks to the back and comes back with two big bags of steaming food.

Wakatoshi takes them before I have the chance to take anything. His arms flex as he carries both bags.

"Service with a smile would be lovely next time. Thanks!" I wave.

We walk out and Wakatoshi still looks shocked. I'm shocked at the fact that he's carrying everything like normal.

"I'm sorry if I came off as rude, she's just complicated." I say, afraid.

"Don't apologize, you defended yourself. She overstepped her boundaries and you put her in her place."

"I was really hoping we could actually become friends and leave the past behind but she made her choice."

"What did she do?" He inquires.

"Pardon?"

"What happened between you two?"

"In our first year, she was battling for the top spot in class. She couldn't get past me and Kiyo. At some point, she and her friend were cornering Kiyo. I made sure they didn't harm her. Turns out they were threatening her with loads of things, but she kept quiet for the sake of keeping the peace. I went to the office and she was suspended. Soon after her parents withdrew her and I haven't seen her since."

"That's bold for a first year. I like how you intimidated her back there." There's a sly look in his eyes, like he's been down this road before.

"I know who she is. She doesn't have the guts."

Still carrying the bags, he leads us to the train. This one takes quite a while though. We take our seats and the food's heavenly smell is in the air. We sit in silence as it takes off, the sun shines through the windows onto us. The warmth spreads relief through me. The sight is beautiful, buildings and the city bustling with life. We just happen to witness it all.

We get off the train safely, Wakatoshi waiting for me to step off first. Then we walk. I walk comfortably in my dress as I realize we're not back where we were.

"Wakatoshi, where are we going? Weren't we meant to take the train back there to get to the library?" I ask.

"Stay here. I'll be back in a second." He quickly walks away.

"Where are you.." I don't get the chance to finish. I turn around to look at the shops, observing. 

There's an old lady walking around, a big sunhat on her head. One with a shape similar to mine. Hers is bright pink and extends much further than mine. She has dark brown curls and a shopping bag in hand. I like that she's treating herself.

Soon enough, Wakatoshi's back with a smirk and his hands are empty.

"Where's the food?" He walks to me.

He steps behind me and rests his hand delicately on my eyes.

"What are you doing?"

"Trust me." He says, his voice soft and low.

"What makes you think I don't?"

He slips his hand into mine. I flinch at the feeling. My fingers linger. He slowly leads me up to a breezy place. It's humid, the moisture clings to my skin as my hands are rested on a surface that feels like wood. I keep my eyes closed as he peels his hand off of my face. He rests his hands on top of mine gently. The air feels ten times hotter.

"Open your eyes." He whispers.

I open my eyes to a sight I never thought I'd see. The breathtaking view of the continuous waters. I'm speechless. There's an increase in breeze and my hair flows around in the wind like never before. The blue waves roll and roll and roll forever. Rushing to meet the sand, they curl into a hue of white and recede calmly. There's a chirping sound and I see a flock of seagulls soaring above. The sun is resting on the horizon and its beams are running up and away. The sight is majestic, the face of miracles. And it's so blue, the tranquility of the body of blue that extends before me is so beautiful. There's a salty taste and smell in the air and oh my god I'm at the beach. I'm here. I'm really here for the first time. 

I look down at the sand, wavier than the sea. Mesmerized, I see the team. They are in beach wear, standing together. They set up chairs, a net, and even a table with the food on it too. Faces that smile up at me lovingly.

I turn, feeling the little tears on the brims of my eyes jiggling. He's already looking at me.

There's this huge smile on my face and I wrap my arms around him. I hug him with all my might because I've never been happier. I pull him in close and his hands touch my waist softly. I've never met a person so thoughtful, a person that knows me like this. He's the sweetest, and his heart is even sweeter. The surprise of all of this makes me hang onto him for a little longer. 

My pulse beats in my ear as his arms close around me. 

I pull away and I look at his face again, now slightly red in the cheeks. He tugs on his t-shirt.

"You planned this, didn't you?" 

"Happy birthday, Hana." He smiles brighter than the sun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author: I'm so overjoyed we've reached the 20th chapter. It's truly amazing that you and I have made it this far! Thank you to everyone that reached to this chapter! Your reading is always thought of and appreciated highly. Beach chapter coming soon! So sorry for the delay. ♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 79 8
๐•Š๐•™๐•ž๐• ๐• ๐•˜๐•๐•– โ•ญโ”€โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”€โ•ฎ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜บ ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ ๐˜ช ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜จ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ง๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ด? โŒ• โ•ฐโ”€โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”€โ•ฏ แดฌแต‡แต’แต˜แต— โตโดโทโฐโฐโฐโฐ สณแต‰หขแต˜หกแต—หข โฝโฐ'โตโถ หขแต‰แถœแต’โฟแตˆหขโพ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ต๐˜ต...
142 4 9
"We can't always expect people to love us back but instead, let's appreciate and be grateful of the things we have given and received." This is a Hai...
78.5K 2.8K 20
Sure, Ushiwaka is a great ace but Akina Fueki has known him as the boy who never understands what's going on in class. She's had classes with him sin...
531K 18.1K 41
Your heartbreak from breaking up with your ex, Oikawa Tooru, caused you to hate the thought of Volleyball. However after laying some truths on you, t...