THE PROMISE OF TIME (SEQUEL o...

By twilightdiaries86

the journey of Abhiram and Ritika More

Introduction
new cover
Chapter 1(Teaser )
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9

Chapter 2

1.6K 123 36
By twilightdiaries86

Ritika plopped down on the bed. 

She felt like she had run a marathon. Her pulse was still erratic and her breathing came in shallow gasps.Bad timing, she thought. May be seven thirty in the morning was not the right time to talk to Abhiram about baby plans. She looked at her dress. It wasn't too revealing but just a snug fit on her.She wondered what had turned him on so much. She had bought it a couple of months ago when she went out shopping with Adhira, her sister-in-law. Abhiram eyes had widened like saucers when she had worn it that day which was why she chose it today.

Hurriedly, she changed into another set of clothes, something that wouldn't scream seduction and went downstairs, where Abhiram's parents lived.

Married to the love of her life for the last five years and blessed with a daughter, Abhika, Ritika was the happiest woman on earth. Abhiram and Ritika were childhood friends and their's was an arranged marriage. Abhiram had just broken up with his girl-friend, Rupa, when his parents asked for Ritika's hand in marriage. Ritika had been unsure as she had been an eye witness to Abhiram's relationship and break-up saga. But what Abhiram hadn't known was the fact that Ritika had had a major crush on him since her teens. It came to him as a sweet shock when she had told him.

Over the years, she had evolved into the woman she was today- a gifted dermatologist, a devoted mom and a fun loving wife who trusted her husband with her life.Now, she felt, was the right time for Abhika to have a sibling. She had spoken to Abhiram earlier but he hadn't been ready and Ritika had been putting off the discussion for later. She had to find out the reason or his reluctance and find a way to convince him.

****

What a brilliant start to the day, Abhiram pondered. He turned on the shower and stood underneath it, letting the cascading water cool down his hot body.While lathering up his body with the shower gel, he started day dreaming about his ideal vacation that he kept postponing due to his work commitment.

An idyllic resort tucked away in the middle of the ocean or somewhere along the ocean, Santorini or maybe Amalfi coast in Italy. The place wouldn't really matter, he decided, as long as it was in the lap of nature. And of course, he would want a plush, king-sized bed. He looked into the mirror and gave himself a devilish grin.He would have Ritika all to himself and have his wicked way with her.

What about Abhika, he thought, as a pang of guilt hit him. May be his parents could babysit her, while he had fun. He then shook his head vigorously as if he was trying to shake off his torrid thoughts. How could he be so selfish?This was exactly why he wasn't sure about another child. One more child meant double the responsibility and he was not ready for it, yet.

Their last vacation had been to Dubai and it hadn't felt like a vacation at all. He hated the man- made concrete jungle and the textured gardens. They had opted for it only because it was a very short flight and the chances of Abhika getting air sick were very minimal. Abhika was barely three years old then and all he did in that trip was baby-sitting. He hadn't been enjoying anyway, so he gave Ritika some time for herself. She had gone shopping with one of her school friends.

And now Ritika wanted another baby. He had carefully evaded the topic till today hoping she would get the cue and till today he hadn't realised how serious she was. Earlier, he had lost all his control but he stood no chance when Ritika had come out on him with all guns blazing. Thank heavens, she got back her senses and stopped him or he would have been deep inside her in no time.

He hadn't got his release and he had a busy day ahead. He wondered how he would survive a stupid meeting later in the day. Muttering a curse, he wiped his body and stepped out of the bath.After putting on a crisp powder blue shirt and black pants, he got down the stairs.

When Abhiram reached the dining room, Ritika was already there along with Abhika and Abhiram's parents. Thankfully,she had changed to something  modest, a simple full sleeved white cotton kurti buttoned up to her neck. Too modest ,perhaps. Abhiram bit back a smile as she avoided his eyes.

"Papa," Abhika squealed in delight when she saw her dad. Abhiram ruffled her hair affectionately and sat down next to her to have his breakfast.

"Where were you all this while? I didn't see you since I woke up." Abhiram asked in his baby tone that was reserved for his daughter, while he served himself some hot upma.

"I was in the garden, plucking flowers, Papa," she replied, as if there shouldn't have been any doubt about her whereabouts. Then their conversation went on for some more time about flowers, insects and fruits.

Meanwhile Abhiram's dad, Mahesh had read something interesting in the newspaper that day and mentioned about it to his son, something about a new virus in China. Abhiram had read about it too, but he hadn't paid much attention to it. He had bigger problems to think about than rack his brain about some weird virus in China. The only thing about China that worried him currently was his laptop that was made in China. It had to be replaced, may be with something that was made in Korea or Japan. He would decide soon.

He finished his breakfast and headed to hospital.

Abhiram, a competent consultant in Emergency Medicine, worked at Continental Hospital in Bangalore. Before joining it, he had been working in a well established medical college in Bangalore. But when one of his seniors from undergraduate days, Dr.Girish Kamath requested him to join, he couldn't refuse. Many corporate biggies often tried to lure him into joining their hospitals by lucrative offers and he was contemplating them too. That was when Dr.Girish contacted him. The management asked him if he wanted to be one of the stakeholders in the start-up. However, Abhiram was not interested in investing in it. He knew he would make a very poor entrepreneur and didn't want to venture into something he wasn't confident about. Moreover, becoming a stakeholder would also mean an additional administrative role which he was not fond of. Instead, he took up the Senior consultant's position that was offered to him. Ritika had her own dermatology clinic but she too joined continental hospitals as a junior consultant. Her timings were slightly different form his, so they travelled to the hospital in separate cars.

The Emergency Room was Abhiram's favourite place to be. Everyday was a challenge there and he loved challenges. Nothing gave him more satisfaction than saving lives.

At thirty four, Abhiram's sleek confidence and formidable presence posed a challenge to the men around him. On the other hand, women were often made intensely aware of their X chromosomes, a different kind of challenge.

Abhiram was quite popular among the medical fraternity for his calculative, meticulous approach in the Emergency Room while handling even the most gruesome and adverse cases. He wouldn't flinch even in the most unnerving situations in the ER, a quality that was essential in his field of work. He was demanding at his workplace but also equally supportive and understanding. The only thing that bothered his fellow doctors, especially his junior colleagues and the paramedics, were his occasional bursts of temper. That by no means made him any less endearing.

As he entered the ER, the head nurse ,Sheela, welcomed him with a bright ,warm smile which he returned. She was a buxom woman aged about fifty years. The other nurses and support staff too wished him.

The spacious ER was a spacious room with high ceiling and had a total of ten beds ,all with wheels and side-rails. It was also equipped with a portable X-ray, a small ultrasound scan machine. The annexe to the ER had a toxicology room and the Doctors' chambers.

"Hello sister, all good?" he asked Sheela.

Just then, Dr.Sara, the junior consultant , fresh out of her post graduation in Emergency medicine, rushed upto Abhiram.

"Good morning Sir." Her face lit up as soon as she saw Abhiram.

Sara was a huge admirer of Abhiram and practically hero-worshipped him.

She was extremely dedicated and hardworking and Abhiram knew she had the potential to become one of the best in the field. Frankly, Abhiram used to find her terribly annoying in the beginning but as time passed, he understood that Sara didn't have a single harmful bone in her body. She was just a naturally talkative, nice girl who happened to idolise Abhiram.

For that matter, every female there adored him. Sara was stunned when the head nurse once admitted that she had a crush on Abhiram.

"Morning Sara,"Abhiram wished her politely ,as he gave a quick glance around. There were only two patients in the ER.

Dr.Rohan ,the junior most doctor of the ER, walked into the room.Abhiram , Sara and Rohan were the doctors in the morning shift. There was another set of doctors for the night shift which was headed by Dr.Shivom.

"His potassium levels are back to normal," Rohan announced and handed over the lab report of a patient to Abhiram. "I was getting a bit worried," he added.

Abhiram ,meanwhile ,went through the patient's file and then the report. Pleased with how his junior was handling cases, he thumped Rohan's back. Dr.Rohan was the junior most doctor in the ER. Just out of MBBS, he was passionate about the Emergency Medicine and was now preparing for the NEET entrance.Though many years younger to Abhiram, Rohan shared a good camaraderie with Abhiram. Rohan often reminded Abhiram of his best friend from college.

"Good job,Rohan," Abhiram said, with an encouraging smile.

Rohan gave Sara a searching look, as if he expected her acknowledgement. Sara however was oblivious. Rohan clicked his tongue in disappointment.

But Abhiram had been attentive. His eyes narrowed suspiciously as his gaze clashed with Rohan's. He had had a slight inkling that Rohan fancied Sara and had intended to ask asked Rohan about it, but had somehow slipped from his mind.

***

Hi all!

Second chapter done.

Hope you like it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

222K 8.4K 58
unexpect the unexpected at the unexpected moment. confusing right... yeah it was confusing and unexpected for her too
618K 45.2K 99
AN ENGLISH NOVEL! ✨An Endearing Adherence!!!✨ #1 in doctor (out of 26K stories) #1 in husband (out of 11.4K stories) #1 in forcedmarriage (out of 4.9...
66.1K 4.7K 19
This book is filled with grammatical errors and 18+ scenes. Avoid reading it, if you are not a fan of dark romance ; ______ Atharva singhania ♡ Ruhi...
145K 8.3K 32
Wattpad Featured on WattpadRomanceIN in the Hum Aapke Hain Kaun reading list. Dr. Saumya Mathur Three years ago, she lost the only people she loved i...