Mr. Corporate Law

By SevenDeadlyBodies

Lawler & Walsh. Corporate Law firm that specializes in Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, Dispute Resoluti... More

1.0: Lawler & Walsh
1.1: L&W Lawyer - Nathaniel Walsh
1.2: L&W Lawyer - Adrian Lawler
1.3: L&W Lawyer - Dominic Walsh
1.4: L&W Lawyer - Erika Barnett
1.5: L&W Lawyer - Hamish Schwartz
1.6: L&W Lawyer - Marianne Lawler
1.7: Welcome to Our World
1.8: Welcome to My Office
1.9: Welcome Mrs Lawler Number Three
2.0: Welcome Mrs Walsh Number Three
2.1: Rules, Regulations and Responsibilities in Lawler & Walsh
2.2: L&W Rules - Office Romance is Prohibited
2.3: L&W Rules - Partners have Priority and Superiority
2.4: L&W Rules - Some Things are Better Left Unsaid
2.5: L&W Rules - Meetings must be kept Professional
2.6: L&W Rules - Use your Networks Wisely
2.7: L&W Rules - Recreational Activities Happen on Your Own Time
2.8: L&W Rules - Respect the Chain of Command
2.9: L&W Rules - Victory is Rewarded
3.0: L&W Rules - You Belong to Us
3.1: New York City
3.2: NYC - Reputation
3.3: NYC - Celebration
3.4: NYC - Deception
3.5: NYC - Secrets
3.6: NYC - Truth
3.7: NYC - Plastic
3.9: NYC - Breakdown
4.0: NYC to LA
4.1: The Ex-Lover
4.2: The Daddy's Girl
4.3: The Resident Bad Boy
4.4: The Girl's Best Friend
4.5: The Worst Nightmare
4.6: The Man She Loved
4.7: The Sly Man
4.8: The Crazy Couple
4.9: The Pleasant Reminder
5.0: The Plan Starts Now
5.1: Day One - Father Knows Best
5.2: Day Two - The Awkward Approach
5.3: Day Three - Art of Seduction
5.4: Day Four - Final Toast
5.5: Day Five - The Night Before
5.6: Day Six - Confessions
5.7: Day Seven - Back to Business
5.8: Day Eight - Old Dominic
5.9: Day Nine - Old Marianne
6.0: Day Ten - Goodbye Mr Walsh
6.1: All Over
Dirty Little Secret
PREVIEW: Mrs Corporate Law
Mrs Corporate Law is out!

3.8: NYC - Manipulation

5.1K 172 17
By SevenDeadlyBodies

At this moment, whilst I stood in the meeting room with the rambling Judge Cole, I kept my eyes locked through the glass and watched as my best friend flirted with Hamish. I tried to share my attention, but I really couldn't stop being nosy and felt a bit jealous that Hamish happily received and returned the flirtatious actions back.

I don't know, maybe I was feeling a bit insecure that he did that to any other woman... Maybe he didn't have feelings for me like he said he did and just wanted to sleep with me? I really don't know. Or maybe I've just lost my mind and started projecting what Dominic did to me onto poor Hamish. Who knows? There's bound to be a reason why he wouldn't tell me!

Distraction time.

"Hey Judge Cole," I interrupted him amongst his nonstop chatter, I crossed my arms and bluntly asked, "What ever happened to Rebecca?"

"P-Pardon?"

There's no denying I was bothered by his constant pushing of wanting to take the case of Dominic's one night stand. If I ever saw the client on topic, I don't think I could control myself. I've already got a lot on my plate.

"Rebecca told me she tricked you and the firm to take the case for the sake of seeing Dominic again. I'm curious on what's happened to her?"

The judge rubbed his palms together, his eyes slyly shifted left and right ashe turned away from me. "What happened afterwards should not matter for the both of us. It does not affect our bargain, my dear," He said in such a cold tone, he sounded the same as the night we made that bargain - the true Judge Richard Cole came out to visit.

"I know, but the opportunity won't come any sooner would it? I doubt Nathaniel is in Los Angeles by the time we get back, the reason, if you forgot, is the planning of his and Julia's nuptials?"

He narrowed his eyes. "Oh ho, ho," He drew a chuckle from his stomach and held onto it. "Well, what could possibly happen the day before the wedding?" He winked.

"Are you saying that if he doesn't bring it up between now to his wedding day, you'll persuade him to just to complete my end?"

Judge Cole clapped slowly. "My dear, there's one thing you should know about the corporate law," He started. "To get what you want, you always need leverage on people of higher authority."

"And that's me?"

"Well, isn't it obvious. Don't let me spell it out." He added and walked closer to me, his hand pat my shoulder with a sly smirk. "And to answer your question, Rebecca left New York and returned home. We instructed her that if she told her Father, I've got the tape with she and I."

Tape? Sex tape? Wait, what? Is that his plan?

My mouth opened, ready to speak, but Judge Cole already wobbled off. I think I bit off more than I could chew when I made a bargain with Judge Cole, especially when he told me the most important fact right now, which is really sick and twisted for someone to have in their possession, even if it's just for leverage. I cringed at the sudden thought of Dominic and Rebecca's sexual experience being recorded too, and by Nathaniel. I have a bad feeling already.

He truly was as manipulative and a dirty player in the twisted game. Dominic, my Father and Nathaniel were right to warn me. I was such a fool.

I took a peek at Erika and Hamish, their flirting was indeed going well, they were laughing and lightly touched each other on the arm, which was a textbook move for one to tell the other they were interested. Things were going well for them already, and I felt lonely all over again. Everyone had someone, and the someone I thought I had left to go to work back in LA. I walked over to the large window, my arms cradled each other as I stared out at the view, if things didn't go as planned, I imagined myself standing at that same spot and looking out at the view of the city, and feeling miserable with myself. But I don't think I'd be back in New York anytime soon, I had a feeling I wouldn't be working here and that feeling also told me that Dominic won't be either. Though I can't help but worry that we won't be together.

Ah, I should really stop feeling sorry for myself and do something about it.

Okay.

Maybe I should start by calling Dominic.

I reached into the secret pocket of my black and white skirt and pulled out my phone, I hadn't changed the wallpaper so the first picture I saw was of the man with a big, cheesy grin, which always made me smile no matter how badly I felt at anytime of the day. I searched for his number, but hesitated to press that call button. I have no idea what to say to him, where to start. Should I just tell him that I miss him? Should I even mention that? Or should I go on about work again?

Okay, maybe start with asking how he is.

Okay, okay, okay.

All I need to do is press that button-

"Annie!"

I dropped my phone and clenched my heart as I turned around to see Erika with a bright smile and a blush at her cheeks. She caught me off guard and I freaked out.

"I'm sorry boo!" She giggled.

"Geez, Erika, thanks for the heart attack." I panted. I picked up my phone and quickly turned off my screen to hide what I was up to. "So how was it?"

"We're going out for food. Do you want to come?"

"No thank you, being a third wheel isn't in my résumé."

"Hey, I've been your third wheel since you started!"

I waved my hand and shook my head, giving her a polite decline to the invitation. "I'm okay, boo, honestly, I have to go see Marcus before he leaves anyway."

"Good save." She winked. "Alright, see you later." She didn't wait to rush back to her date and dragged him away before he could gesture goodbye. Erika must've liked him that much. I wonder how long she's felt that way about Hamish and how long she's seen the guy act too friendly with me instead of her. I'm surprised she hasn't said anything to me or acted on her feelings sooner, because if she did, I don't think I would've considered sleeping with him after the fight with Dominic.

I stared down at my phone, gulped and decided not to call him. Not yet anyway.

I met up with Marcus at the airport, we had a delightful chat during a coffee break before he went off to sort out his things. I sat at the waiting chairs before he had to fly away again. I sat in silence with one crossed over the other and my arms crossed, I kept a good hold of my phone, still indecisive about what to do next. I had two days left in New York, two days to figure out the next move and two days to figure out how to solve my relationship problem. This was probably the best and only time I could be upfront with Marcus and has for his strong opinion, and knowing him, he'll be brutally honest. There's no such thing as sugarcoated truth with him.

As soon as my big Brother finally took a seat, I nervously turned to him and took out all the courage I had inside and asked, "What should I do?"

Pretty vague...

But he did know a bit of this and that... Only a bit.

"Huh? With what?" Marcus didn't bother looking at me, he was too busy arranging his passport, boarding pass and other things in his leather man bag. "Be more specific."

"Well, um, with Dominic."

He lifted his head up for a moment and hummed, his hand stopped fiddling about, he was probably thinking up a way to be less harsh, but at the same time direct. It was only for a moment before he went back at it as he replied, "Give that guy an ultimatum. If you can't deal with whatever the hell is wrong, then leave. Why should you be unhappy for the rest of your relationship?"

Brutally. Honest.

I don't think Erika or Hamish would've said that as direct as my big Brother. They would've asked me questions so I could figure it out on my own.

"But I don't know what to say to him? We left off on the wrong foot."

"Stop kidding yourself, Annie. You and Dominic are meant to be together, if that idiot doesn't see that... Well, if you don't see that, then you're only as bad as each other."

My lips shakily curved to a smile. For some reason, I felt a bit relieved to hear it from him, but Hamish said nearly the same thing, but I got rejected his theory. Probably because he said we were 'soulmates' and I didn't believe in that since my Parents divorced.

"So what do I say?"

"Give him an ultimatum. Honestly, guys crap themselves when they hear a threat from someone they least expect to leave them."

"Has any of your exes done that?"

Marcus paused. He seemed like he wanted to answer me, tell me the real answer, but instead, he asked, "Anything else, Annie?"

I guess it hurt too much.

I rubbed the back of my neck, leaning back against the rough cushion on the seat and cautiously muttered, "What about Dad?"

"Dad?" He cringed. He wasn't careful with his things anymore, practically throwing everything he had and tossed it in his angered mood. "If I were you, I'd leave that place and not be sucked in by him-"

"Marcus, please be a bit more realistic version of me."

He sighed, his shoulders slumped and he faced me. "Okay, fine," He breathed. "If I were the real you, I'd be inclined to go up to Dad, ask him what's shoved- I mean, what's wrong with him and why he's being so sour with Nathaniel. You deserve the truth from him, he owes you that much."

"But will he tell me?"

"Yeah, of course. You were always Dad's favourite- Er- Well, maybe second favourite, after that third one."

"Don't say that. He loves you, but you're shutting him out."

"Antonia's pregnant right?"

I nodded.

"Well, consider me at last place."

I smacked his arm. "Don't say that, that's mean." I frowned as he reached over and pulled me into a side hug, his other hand messed about through my hair and ruined the formal look I was going for. I struggled to push out from his hug, he was too strong, but he let me go when I whined about people looking at us funny. I heaved out a heavy breath as I wrestled through my hair and tried to rearrange it back into place, still frowning at him with a pout.

"Flight to London, now boarding."

"This is me, sis," Marcus sighed. "I'm going to miss you, goof ball." He pushed himself to his feet and helped me up along the way, we looked at each other, smiled, embraced and nodded farewell.

We didn't have to say much. We don't usually say goodbye or wave to each other because we know we would see each other again, it was a habit and personal thing that only he and I did. Our Mother and Father always found it weird, Erika and a bunch of our friends thought the same thing whenever one of us had to leave. A nod was good enough gesture to bid farewell. I watched Marcus go, he gave me good advice, ones that I know I'd have to follow in order to get a peace of mind. I didn't like it, but I had to do it.

I dialled Dominic's number as I made my way to the taxi stands. I was as nervous as before, talking myself into being okay to talk to him, boosting my self confidence and gulping dowb my nerves. I let my thumb hover over the call button again. Dominic's adorable, smiling face on my screen, his name boldly spread across too. I missed him so much, but I didn't want to present an ultimatum. If I did, and he chose the other option, I'd have nothing. I was doubting again. That wasn't good. So I came to a clear decision to call him.

But yet again, I was interrupted.

It happened just as soon as I closed the gap between my thumb and the button, my phone vibrated and Hamish's face appeared on my screen. I thought he went on a date with Erika? Something must've happened. I quickly answered, and in one minute, Hamish frantically blurted out that he finished his mini date with Erika, then out of the blue, he received a phone call from my Father and got scolded about something, which concluded that he needed to talk to me as soon as possible. We decided to meet back at his apartment without Erika as the topic involved the recent events when we met up with Fiona and the night we had sex. He persuaded me to meet at his apartment, where he knew it was safe to talk, where no one heard us and no one knew us.

I wonder what happened?

I got there an hour later than I expected, the ride over was horrible, the traffic, the amount of beeping and the taxi driver yelling his head off at the pedestrians who crossed at the wrong time. I guess it was peak hour.

"Come in!" Hamish greeted me with a sweaty face, his palms were sweaty too as he dragged me inside and slammed the door. He sat me down on the couch, his pacing didn't explain anything, except that something didn't go as planned if he panicked the way he did.

"Okay, breathe."

"I can't!" His arms flailed outwards, but at least he stopped pacing He turned to me, his hair no longer prim and proper, his clothes wrinkled and his skin pale.

"Why not?"

"Someone has a photo of us meeting Fiona."

I froze.

Okay, now I understand why he looked the way he did, because I turned and acted the way he did as soon as he said those words. Questions blurted out of my mouth at great speed, I began to pace back and forth and I flailed my arms about at the state of panic. There was a high risk that our plan was going to be sabotaged.

"Your Dad called me as soon as I said bye to Erika. He told me that I screwed up everything and someone is going to use that photo against us."

I gasped.

"What?"

"I think I know who took that photo."

"Who?"

I slapped the palm of my left hand on my forehead, the other still pressed at my hip as I let a long, agonizing groan out in one exhale. My body slumped forward as I dropped down to the couch. I held my head in my hands, my fingers rocked back and forth through my hair and against the top of my head. How could this have happened? It escalated so quickly. Was that why Judge Cole explained about leverage and blackmail and whatever?

"Wait, Annie, this could work out to our advantage!"

"How?" I moaned, not wanting to look up at him.

"Well, if we pretend we didn't know about that photo and went on with our plan, the person blackmailing us will come out and he can be blamed for everything."

"No, Hame. We can't do that."

"Why not?"

I shook my head, looked back up at Hamish and explained what happened this morning with Judge Cole. From the explanation about Rebecca James's guaranteed silence to the theory of leverage. Everything Judge Cole told me, I quoted word for word to Hamish, and from the look of it, he was stunned. He slid down to the single chair and rubbed his head, he probably needed time to process all the information, like I did.

"So your saying that Judge Cole's got a leverage on the both of us? For what?"

"Not on you," I sighed in defeat. "It's me he's after."

"Why?"

"He's going to use it against me so I'll go through with my end of the bargain, Hame. Judge Cole is a clever, old fart, he knows the game as well as Nathaniel or my Father does, and to get leverage on the two powerful men of Lawler & Walsh, he's going to use me."

Yep, I figured that part out.

I also figured out that corporate law was a game of power, and to do that, you'd have to play the game, and to get through the levels, you'll have to play it by breaking the rules and playing it dirty. It's a manipulative, weird, and overall, crazy game.

But what I can't figure out is why?

"Okay, well, the part I don't get is the fact that Judge Cole said he's helping your Dad to get rid of Nathaniel?" Hamish waved his finger around, writing messages in the air and focused on something in his mind. I didn't want to disturb him, but it was amusing to watch him think. He was in his own bubble, it reminded me so much of Dominic, when he worked on a case and was in full concentration.

Oh, I missed him.

I decided to finally call Dominic as soon as I got back to the suite. I felt giddy, my heart raced and the butterflies in my stomach were fluttering away nonstop. For some reason, the thought of being able to hear his voice and to be able to talk to him again filled me with excitement. After delays, I decided not to hesitate or think or delay to press that green call button.

I pressed the phone to the side of my face, nipping at my lower lip and listened closely to the ringing.

Nervous. Anxious. Excited.

I was filled with a mixture of emotions.

Then the call was finally answered.

"Hello?"

I quickly frowned, hung up and threw the phone to the floor as tears rolled down.

That wasn't Dominic.

That was a woman's voice.

Is he cheating on me again?

What the fuck is going on!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 49.3K 28
"I've wanted you my whole life, Scar, and when I'm finally here with you, you're married..." Scarlett Knightwell has it all. Multi-millionaire compan...
1.7M 46.1K 55
"Beg for it." He growled in my ear, making heat shoot straight to my core. "Never." I hissed back as his fingers moved faster inside me. His chest w...
The Arrangement By ☆

Mystery / Thriller

518K 11K 48
𝟏𝟖+ "Do you have any idea," he started as he licked his lips, his tongue piercing catching my eye, "how much I've had to refrain myself from fuckin...