Water Under the Bridge || Eva...

By aprilmoonlight16

In which, Josephine attempts to overcome the losses amid saving lives in the city. [911 SEASON 3-4] More

water under the bridge
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty one
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty three
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty five
chapter twenty six
chapter twenty seven

chapter one

3.9K 100 8
By aprilmoonlight16

picture perfect

A pair of footsteps ascended to the second floor of the 118 firehouse where distinct chatter took place in the kitchen area. Laughter erupted between the three first responders, one perked at the arrival of the brunette approaching. His mouth tugged into a slight grin, "Hey stranger." The other two swiveled in their stools following his gaze. "How was your workout?"

Josephine furrowed at Eddie's nickname though she brushed it off. "My workout went well." She headed towards the refrigerator for a cold bottle of water.

Five months have gone since the serial bomber was arrested from that night. Josephine recovered from her injuries and returned to work two months later. Without a doubt, the woman received a welcome back party in spite her assurance of not needing one. She already knew her voice would be waved off by Hen listing off the party favors by then. The firehouse had lost two of their firefighters temporarily to which caused a shift yet with one returning firefighter back in their graces, it started to feel everything will soon piece together again.

"You're going to Buck's party tonight, right?" Chimney asked before chomping on an apple slice.

She brought the opened bottle to her lips, "Of course, why?" She answered then took a swig of her water.

"Because you never hang out with us outside of work anymore." Hen remarked, stealing one of her best friend's apple slices.

"Wow, that wasn't harsh at all." The brunette said in a sarcastic tone while closing the cap then hovered the countertop.

Eddie cleared his throat, shrugging. "Well, we noticed you've been leaving us high and dry when we asked you to come out for a drink."

"And you always come out with us, drinking or not." Chimney pointed out.

Hen hummed in agreement, "You don't even come out for our nights with Athena."

Quite taken back, Josephine suppressed her giggles at the stern looks from the trio in front of her. "Didn't realized it was that serious."

"It is serious because Eddie sucks as a competitor in pool!" The raven-haired paramedic exclaimed, earning an offended expression from the brunette man. "No offense, Eddie." He would enjoy a friendly and intense game of pool with the woman as they took it with seriousness.

Her lips couldn't resist to erupt in giggles, "Sorry I haven't been able to cater my presence. These last few months have been...busy. From planning my abuelo's retirement party to the day of. Then his eagerness to spend more time with his favorite granddaughter and my cousin Carlos visiting. For me to go visit him in Austin, life has been hectic." She explained in an honest tone.

"Don't worry you'll see me outside of the firehouse for once."

Before the trio could reply, the alarm sounded causing the first responders to race down and gear up to the dispatch call. They snatched their gear from their assigned hooks and slipped into it when Bobby came around the truck meeting them. "Kid's car is moving like a runaway freight train, but they got a plan to slow him down before he crashes." He announced, striding over to the passenger door.

Chimney darted at his fire Captain. "So, we're on cleanup duty?"

"Not exactly."

The dispatch call dealt with the high-speed chase on the 710 freeway. One little twist about it is the individual behind the wheel in the targeted vehicle is a 15-year-old boy in danger. He entailed the dispatch caller that he has no control considering the fact the brakes were broken. To resolve and prevent such a tragic collision on the freeway, a plan was hatched with the necessity of a firetruck.

"They're clearing a stretch of Woodley Avenue. We'll meet them there." Bobby told his team after filling them in of the situation.

"How fast is he going?" Chimney asked.

"105." He replied then further explained the plan. "Once he gets to Woodley Avenue, he'll hit the brakes, hope he slows down a little. And that's where we come in."

"That's a vintage car."

Eddie sitting across from him, narrowed. "You worried about damaging a classic, Chim?" He questioned in a teasing tone.

"He's worried about damaging the kid," Josephine interrupted next to him. The man nodded in agreement as she proceeded to explain. "Airbags weren't standard until the 80's. One of the many things my abuela told me about cars, she's obsessed with the vintage ones."

"A car that old, we're lucky it has a shoulder harness." Hen sighed.

The brunette man shortly nodded, "But if they can get it down to 60 or 70..."

"I like his chances better." Chimney piped.

Shaking her head, Hen thought out loudly into the headset. "What kind of crazy person came up with this plan?"

"My wife." Bobby quipped from the passenger seat, reeling perplexed looks from his team in the backseat.

The insanity of this plan mastered by Athena saved the teenage boy in the end. He endured minor injuries; however, the precious vintage car didn't survive but Josephine savored a piece of it. She presented the gear stick to the father before hopping in the back of the ambulance with his son, already planning to scout a vintage car together.

"The cakes have arrived!" Josephine waltzed into the Grant-Nash residence with the two cakes with Alexis carrying one of them. Athena motioned the two inside where the rest of the 118 were present. "I understand that we will be celebrating with one of the two, but can we cut up the second one after for like to go? I think it would be a waste of food and money to not bother with the other." She rambled on, coming down the short staircase.

Chimney stepped forward to take the box from her hands, "Smart idea. Now, let's put these babies on the table and take a look."

Josephine giggled and then went ahead to retrieve the other box from the blond's hands. She followed her colleague out to the back patio as they were excited to see how the cakes turned out.

Meanwhile, Alexis greeted the other party guests and poured herself a drink when Eddie approached her. "Hey, how's the second eye candy of the 118?" She received an intrigued look from the brunette man causing her to laugh. "Chimney's number one, isn't he? Won that calendar slot."

Eddie snorted, "I'm good. How have you been?"

"Good. Just working at the hospital, nothing too exciting outside of that." The blond shrugged and then tilted her head, casting her eyes to the back patio. "However, someone can enlighten you about their routinely night outings."

His eyes shifted to Josephine chatting it up with Chimney, "And yet, she's been too busy to hang out with her team." He mused, taking a swig of his drink. "How is she? Be honest."

Alexis blew through her red lips as she given a thought into that question. "She appears fine, but I feel that's just a façade."

Chimney's voice gravitated everyone's attention at the announcement of the Buckley siblings arriving at the house. Everyone gathered in the living room while Athena went ahead answering the door. She beamed at the latter, welcoming them inside the house. All eyes were on the trio sharing a brief conversation while furthering the steps until an outburst of "Surprise!" startled the young man at the group of familiar faces.

He surveyed the room when realization knocked into his head the party was meant for him. This instantly warmed his heart, more so embraced by his fellow colleagues from the firehouse. His family he created as his own in the city.

The party was set in motion as guests mingled and devoured the delicious barbeque by none other than Chef Bobby Nash. Buck departed from a conversation with one of the firefighters after setting his sight on a brunette alone taking a sip of the beer bottle in her hand.

Paving his way, the set of brown irises casted on him. "As I live and breathe, is that 118's re-certified firefighter coming my way?" Josephine gasped in amusement.

"You know I set a new record at the fire academy." He said with a cocky grin.

Josephine raised her brow. "Impressive. It'll be nice to have you back and better."

"Me too. Since you've ghosted me the last month or two."

"Correction, I did not ghost you."

Buck craned his head, contorting a face. "But you stopped answering my texts or calls, hence ghosting." He deadpanned.

"I've been busy. My life doesn't revolve around you, Buckley." She pouted at him causing a small chuckle to slip from his mouth.

"Noted. I wanted to thank you, though. For being there with me from the surgery and rehab. I-I'm sure it wasn't easy to be around with me—"

"Because you were cranky as hell?" She jokingly cut him off. He shot her a glare as she dismissed him to say. "Anyways, it wasn't a problem because you are my friend. I'll always be there as you've been for me in the past year."

The last part made him grin and feel comfort to be reunited with his team even more.

Later in the party, Josephine had been hounded by Hen and Karen. Mostly Karen. The woman was eager to show the sperm donor approved by herself and her wife for their IVF treatment. They've recently began the process, so, Hen gave a heads up about Karen's scattered emotional state. Josephine only took one bite of the sliced cake the second they arrived in front of her.

"For privacy reason, they can't show you what he looks like now." Hen propped her phone to share a 20-year-old photo of the chosen sperm donor to the brunette.

Josephine hummed, "Makes sense."

Next to her wife, Karen let out a scoff with her arms crossed on her chest. "Buck thought otherwise." Hen stifled a laugh and rubbed a comforting hand onto her back.

"I am not surprised by that." Josephine refrained from rolling her eyes and shook her head instead. Her lips tugged into a genuine smile at the couple. "I'm really happy for you two and Denny. He's a great kid and no doubt will be a great big brother to the new baby."

By the few kind words, the hormonal woman couldn't help herself to thrust into the brunette's arms. Thankfully, Josephine's quick reflexes raised her arms for the woman to wrap around her torso before her slice of cake would smash into her.

"You are such a sweetheart." Karen cried out.

The brunette quite taken back, murmured. "Oh, oh okay hug." She flickered to Hen who mouthed "I'm sorry" from the side.

"This is why you're my favorite from the 118."

Relishing this wholesome moment, Bobby's concerning voice calling out Buck had received their attention. They watched him stepping back while his mouth quivered—unable to make out any word. It transpired a horrific scene of the night as blood spilled out of his mouth before he collapsed to the ground.

Alexis came out of her room after exchanging into pajamas when she and Josephine arrived back at the penthouse. After the abrupt end of the party due to Buck's scare, Maddie and Chimney followed the ambulance to the emergency. Eventually, the two best friends and Hen who tagged along gone after the latter merely concerned about the man's current state. They've waited about an hour to receive news from Chimney entailing the cause of the sudden the gory scene. Given reassurance, Josephine took Hen home on the way back to retreat to her place with Alexis.

Pouring a hot cup of tea, the blond carried two cups down to the brunette's room. Upon her arrival, she saw her best friend exiting out of the bathroom with damped hair from taking a shower.

"Awe, you made me a cup." Josephine braced a grateful smile while snatching a bottle of leave in conditioner. "You could leave it on the nightstand."

Complying to her order, Alexis placed the hot tea down then settled on the bed. "Thought you could use some to relax after tonight."

"Bobby and Athena's first party will indeed be memorable."

Alexis pressed her lips together, stifling an amused laugh. "It will. At least Buck is fine though. I should be used to seeing something like that at the hospital but can't deny how horrifying it was." She blew into her cup before taking a sip.

"He's lucky that he had a group of first responders, let alone a nurse around him." Josephine said, looking at the reflection of her vanity mirror detangling her hair. "This might delay his return to the field which will suck for him."

"I'm sure he'll understand and realize it'll be worth it once following doctor's orders and taking care of himself."

"I would believe that if it wasn't Buck." The brunette mused. She wouldn't blame his frustration if it were to happen after tonight. He's worked tremendously in recovery from the several sessions she's accompanied him. "I should text May to check in, hopefully she'll respond because she was really quiet the entire time."

Alexis frowned, observing the brunette grab her phone charging. "That scene was quite traumatizing for kids. She might need more time to process if she doesn't answer."

Giggles escaped from Josephine's lips in addition to an eye roll across the room as she scrolled through her phone. This piqued her best friend's attention to which was explained. "Sorry, it's my friend Cassidy from the bar. She told me this guy who I made out like two weeks ago or something asked about me." She said completely mortified.

"Don't tell me you don't remember his name?"

"Honestly, I don't. But this guy doesn't even know mine considering he referred to me as "Jojo"." She read out, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Speaking of this guy, I've noticed you've been bringing a few around or coming home later than usual..." Alexis trailed off, bringing the cup to her lips.

Josephine scoffed, quirking her brow. "I'm an adult, Alexis. You don't have to give me a lecture." She smirked at her best friend, picking up the clothes from the floor to the ones hanging on the furniture.

"Of course, but I'm concerned about you, Josie."

"Why?"

The blond took a deep exhale, staring down at the cup on her lap briefly as the brunette had her back facing towards her. "Because you've been distant these last few months since the breakup with Mark." She proclaimed causing Josephine to freeze. "The both of you stated it was mutual although something has changed. Neither of you are yourselves nor willing to speak about it. And you're out and about almost every night when you don't have to clock in your 24-hour shifts. I feel like there's more than what you've led on. The timing of that breakup was kind of shocking after what you went through."

"You and Mark were great together."

Josephine blinked before spinning around. "Well, not every relationship is perfect. Mark and I loved each other but it felt more like right person bad timing. Nobody knows what happens behind closed doors, so, it's best to not make assumptions." She saw Alexis was about to cut her off until she sighed. "I get that you're concern. I mean, we broke up it'll sting a little and be hard to move on. But being heartbroken about Mark isn't the sole reason I'm going out. I've went from years with Bryan, my first serious boyfriend to fiancé to ex-fiancé and then Mark. Since Mark and I didn't end up working out, I want to just have fun for myself until I lump myself in a relationship with the next guy."

"You don't need to worry, Alexis. I'm fine."

"Maddie said Buck hasn't left the apartment in a week."

Chimney ranted to the team as they were preparing lunch at the kitchen. At some point in their last shift, Bobby visited Buck the day after the party at the hospital. Buck, who seemed keen about his return was shut down when their Captain entailed the unfortunate news. The fire department opted for light duty, however, the fury in his eyes led the fireman to quit. He couldn't bear the thought to be chained to a desk and not report back to the field that he dreamt in those months of rehab.

"Yeah, she's tried to get him to go out a couple times, but it's always, "Why would I need to leave? Everyone delivers."" He added.

Bobby chimed in, "He won't even take my calls."

"He's just sulking, Cap. He'll get over it." Eddie assured, cutting vegetables.

Hen went to interject on the former's behalf. "Hey. I like to give Buck crap as much as any of you, but this was a body blow, guys. The guy's allowed some time to mourn." She reminded while grabbing a bowl.

"The question is how much time. I mean, his daily routine of walking from the bed to the couch and back again. That's not going to help the situation." Chimney mused.

"Look, I know it sucks, but that's life, right?" Eddie argued next to Chimney. "Whenever stuff didn't work out for me, my dad always told me to brush it off, keep moving forward. It wasn't easy but he wasn't wrong."

Josephine standing between Hen and Bobby finally spoke up. "Everyone's points are valid. The thing is people cope differently especially the time frame when they feel ready to get back out there. With Buck, what exactly does he have to look forward to? I've been there through his rehab sessions and coming back here was his main goal—being part of this team again."

Hen sighed, nodding in agreement with the brunette. "I mean, we all had lives, jobs before we entered the Department. And we have things outside of it. What... what does Buck have?" She inquired to which plagued their minds for a minute.

Meanwhile, Bobby cleared his throat. "Buck has us. Even though he may not believe that right now." He declared to the team.

They continued to prepare for lunch when the alarm rang inside the firehouse. There was a dispatch call of a baby in respiratory in distress and turning blue. Reaching to their destination, Chimney and Hen worked quickly to acquire the baby and rush inside the ambulance. Hen reported that the baby lost some blood, whereas the umbilical cord wasn't tied off properly nor be more than an hour old.

More police cars came to the scene as the 118 stayed to unravel more of this situation. The kidnapper who has claimed to be the mother was situated on the side for more questioning. Bobby stood on the sidewalk with Josephine when Hen and Eddie approached them.

"Vitals, blood glucose are normal. No sign of impairment." Hen pronounced.

Eddie sighed, looming at the estranged woman briefly. "Yeah, whatever's wrong with that lady, we don't have the test for it."

"Okay, well, dispatch said to stay here. It's a critical missing." Bobby told.

"Or a possible homicide, hoping that won't be the case." Josephine muttered out, glowering at the woman in handcuffs.

Hen sighed, "Well, Chimney said the baby started to respond when they got to the hospital. So maybe we'll get lucky twice today." She attempted to enlighten the mood.

Details soon revealed when Maddie's dispatch call connected to the current kidnapping case. The mother of the newborn baby had been wounded by the woman who stole her baby. The two met through an online ad for baby clothes and were to exchange at Griffth Park. The first responders drove down there, canvassing the area of anything suspicious in sight for the missing mother. Thankfully, she was found alive and sent off to the ambulance to be reunited with her family at the hospital.

Later that day, Josephine sauntered into the hospital after clocking off from her shift. She exhaled and clutched onto the strap of her purse into the maternity ward. Although to her surprise, she stumbled upon Maddie, Athena, and Bobby standing by the transparent window.

"Josie, are you here to see the mother and baby as well?" Bobby asked curiously.

As the three pairs of eyes landed on her, she nodded shortly. "Yeah, um, I came to drop off dinner for Alexis and thought to stop by here." She enveloped a small smile.

"Well, you're just in time." Athena gestured to join them.

The brunette obliged to stand next to Maddie, who greeted with a smile. When she turned her head to the window, the joyful parents were peering at their baby girl.

Such a perfect moment.

-Welcome to the first chapter! We have delved in the little changes of Josie's life in the last five months...of course, it'll be revealed soon. Any theories? Hope you like it! Tell me what you think! Don't forget to vote and comment! Stay tuned!-

WRITTEN: 6/25/22

PUBLISHED: 6/26/22

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.4K 363 11
Buck wanted to go home. He wanted nothing more than to be back with his family and to go home. Things had been rough this last year though, first his...
214K 6.8K 51
In which two co-workers find peace and comfort in one another. "These people are the best part of me." Trigger warning for any and all chapters!!
62.9K 1K 28
After a long battle against justice, Evan Buckley, mostly known as Buck is finally back at house 118. Injured in duty, his main purpose always was to...
44K 2.4K 19
In which, Sasha Carter learns a new understanding of life when it revolves around more people she has grown to love. [911 SEASON 4]