La Serenissima

By finallyxfound

Who knew that a hole in the wall cafe in Venice, Italy, would be the place where Austin Moon truly found his... More

Santoli's
Campo Santa Margherita
Abiti da Silvana
The Girl Worth Leaning Italian For
Not A Date
The Tour of Venice
The White Queen & Her Lost King
Austin's Symphony
A Love Story
Wouldn't Have Minded
Il Ballo del Doge
Defining The Relationship
Pancakes
French Toast
Making It Work
The Ferry Docks
Miami. July.
Grand Gesture
We Met In Venice

Dr. Cupid Returns

64 3 0
By finallyxfound

Skype was Austin Moon's best friend. His amazing best friend that kept his actual phone bill from going through the roof and instantly connected him with his friends and family back in the United States. It was the simplest thing to use and with his Macbook always in his bag, he was always just a minute away from calling them up and catching up on the things he was missing out on - like his brother actually getting a girlfriend and it lasting beyond the two week mark.

Today, he was trying to reach his very real best friend, Dez, despite his crazy schedule...or so he had assumed. When Austin left just after the holidays, Dez was off to Mexico for a video shoot and then to Los Angeles for a television show and beyond that, everything was up in the air. When they were in high school and Austin was trying to become that internet sensation, Dez was the one filming his performances and making music videos for him. Those were the videos that got him noticed and he liked to think that Dez was a major reason that he was where he was today - in Venice, recording and writing his third album; the album he had promised everyone, including Dez, that it would be better than the ones before.

Austin smirked to himself, as he took over Santo's desk in the conservatory, remembering how Dez once called the older music he had been listening to 'boring as hell'. It wasn't boring any more. Austin let the rings echo throughout the room, while pulling out some song sheets to work on, just in case. He had been working on the same song for days, and stared back at Ally's note. The same one that was haunting him and keeping him from actually finishing the tune. Wouldn't have minded...he wouldn't have minded either.

"Oh my God, is that Austin Moon?" Dez's voice came over his monitor, along with his impression of a teenage girl's squeals. "It is Austin Moon!"

Austin couldn't help but laugh at his friend, and he didn't think it was possible, just seeing Dez's face and, crazy clothes, made him feel better already. "Hey, man. How's it going?"

"I can't complain...really, I can't," Dez got serious. "I've been banned from complaining."

"Since when have you ever complained about anything?"

"Apparently, since I was born..." Austin watched Dez scratch his head and his orange hair flip from one side of his head to the other. "Anyhow. How's Venezia? Is it freezing? Is it just as magical as my sister keeps telling me it is? Oh, isn't it Carnival time or something, too?"

So many questions kept shooting out of Dez's mouth and Austin blew out a breath. This is what he needed, this is exactly what he needed. He needed Dez to take his mind off of Ally for just a moment or two so he could actually decide how to tell her he wanted something more too. Austin spit out answer after answer before Dez went all bug eyed about him actually participating in Carnevale.

"Wait, I'm sorry...the guy who I could not get into a Zalien costume got dressed up like a clown?"

"I wasn't a clown and I did too dress up like a Zalien," Austin argued back.

"No you didn't. You were Veloptu and The Electric Avenger...not once were you a Zalien. Which was a seriously un-cool best friend thing to do. I was the only Zalien for six Halloweens running."

"I was a Zalien, Dez. Double check that photographic memory of yours again. Third grade," Austin told him, pushing the papers in front of him to the side for now and concentrating on his friend.

Dez's eyes popped open. "How could I forget about that?"

"Maybe because that was the only year that you weren't a Zalien."

Austin caught up with his friend and found out that his directing career was exploding in more ways than one. Not only was he contracted to film all of Mixed Nuts' videos for their album, but he was a signature away from signing on for his first big movie and Austin couldn't be more excited for him. While he was dreaming of a music career, Dez was dreaming up his directing career and it looked like it was all coming true for the lifelong friends.

"You met a girl? Is Dr. Cupid back?" Austin teased Dez, when he mentioned that he was seeing someone new.

"No, he is not. But I'm taking his advice with her," he told Austin before telling her every single thing about Christina Close, who Austin immediately knew was a model. She had starred in one of Austin's first videos, which Dez had also directed. He hadn't known they kept in contact all those years but he was happy for his friend. Dez deserved a little love after the hell his former girlfriend, Carrie, had put him through.

It wasn't a pretty story. They had dated for years after high school before she had ditched him for a modeling career, leaving him not only for fame, but for another model as well. While Christina was also a model, she was a good one; and one that Austin knew he could trust with Dez. Because if Austin didn't trust her, he'd be having some words with Dez right now.

"Speaking of Dr. Cupid..." Austin tried to subtly bring Dez's alter ego up again. "I could use some of his advice."

Dez smiled wide over the screen, reaching just beyond the monitor and pulling on his fake head mirror.

"I don't even want to ask why you have that handy."

"Then don't. Just tell me the girl troubles. The doctor is in the house."

And that's exactly what Austin did. He told Dez about meeting Ally, the amazing girl who was taking up more of his thoughts than music was these days. He told him about learning Italian to speak with her, about their nightly talks at Santoli's, about the underground party, the almost kisses and about Carnevale. And then, then Austin told him about her note and how he was still thinking about her now and wishing he could rewind time and risked it all that night.

"Damn," Dez said. "That's some love story."

"What am I supposed to do? I want this girl, Dez. I want her so bad, but I'm here for another month, tops, before I come back. I have no clue about her plans...if she's staying here or going somewhere else. And then there's the question of if we do do this and it's amazing and I never want to go back to Los Angeles or..."

"Hold up," Dez stopped him from his freak out. "First, breathe. Second, I think before you freak out even more and go insane, you need to tell her how you feel."

"How do I feel?"

Dez laughed at him. "Pretty sure you're in love with her. You learned a foreign language for her, dude. When has Austin Moon ever been girl shy?"

"I think you're thinking of another Austin Moon."

Dez was right of course, but Austin wouldn't admit that until he actually talked with Ally...whenever that might be. He had tried to see her at Santoli's for the past two nights, but always missed her. Suzetta had told him that she came in earlier and left before he arrived. He saw the worried look in Suzetta's eyes and assured her that they were still friends, but that's all he would say, and honestly, he wasn't sure if Ally wanted to be friends with him anymore. Not since he tried to do the right thing and be the gentleman after a long night at the ball. He didn't want to take advantage of the situation. He wanted their first anything to be something they would both remember and both want.

It wasn't long after Dez's advice that he had to go, citing a date night with Christina in an hour's time. Closing down his computer, Austin pulled the papers he was working on back to the center of the desk and stared back down at Ally's note. He knew what he had to do, he just didn't know how or when, but it had to be before Friday's ball, which was two days away, and he didn't think he could take two more days without seeing her. When he thought of Venice now, it wasn't just the music and mystery that popped into his mind. She did. She was his Venice.

+++

He was done, he was finally done. After a month spent on just this one song, it was finally finished. Finally. Austin replayed the recording he put on his computer and listened to it again, and again, singing the lyrics he now had memorized from working on it this long. Whatever it takes, to make you believe. From the depths of my soul, I want you to know I would do anything...that was song number nine. With five more almost completed, Austin let himself do a bit of a happy dance in his living room about his progress.

He hadn't expected to actually have this many songs done by now. He thought it would take longer and honestly, he kind of wanted it to. He was in Venice, during Carnevale, and there was this girl who he had fallen in deep like with who made him want to stay in the city forever...or as long as she was. Running his hands over his face and through his hair, Austin let his eyes close, resting up from a few intense days of raging and confused feelings and trying to get recording time at the conservatory. He had made a few trades, promising the string quartet a mention or two to his record label for the half day they had scheduled.

Austin wasn't completely tired, but with the second ball just the next day, he was trying to save all his energy for it; assuming he was still invited after all this mess he had caused with Ally and him. It was the last ball of the annual event, and closed out the festivities. He had liked seeing all the costumes around the city and took their pictures as much as he could, looking like a complete tourist as he did so. Then again, he sort of was a tourist...there were group costumes and couple costumes and beyond the traditional uniforms he had seen, he had also laughed when he saw some tourists dress up as The Avengers. It was hilarious to him and he was going to mention that to Gianna the next time he saw her.

He hoped that was soon because with less than 40 hours to go, he was still costume-less. And without Gianna's number handy or even where to find her, he was just waiting. Waiting, and wondering. Wondering what the costume actually looked like and even more curious about what Ally's costume looked like. He remembered seeing her in a frame of a dress for that first dinner with the family and she was breathtaking then. Trying to see it all done in his mind, Ally was a stunning White Queen and while he knew things would possibly be awkward, he was looking forward to seeing her.

His almost nap was interrupted by frantic knocks on his door. Glancing at the clock on the wall, it read five o'clock and it wasn't that he was expecting anyone that night. He just hadn't been expecting anyone at all. The only people who knew he lived there were Santo, his landlord...and Ally. Ally. Shooting up from the sofa, Austin pulled open the door with urgency, only to let his shoulders slump when it wasn't a short brunette with rich eyes staring back at him. It was a taller blonde with green eyes instead.

"Not the greeting I was expecting," Gianna let herself in, pushing him back in the room.

"Buon giorno, Gianna," Austin greeted her, closing his door and looking at the full garment bag in her hand. His costume, it had to be. "How do you know where I live?"

After setting the bag on the dining table, she turned back and gave him another bag he didn't see her carrying. "Ally told me. These are yours."

Austin looked inside. His old shirt and sweatpants. The ones Ally wore just a few days ago, all folded up and neatly put into the shopping bag. While he appreciated them all washed and laundered, he was just a little gutted they were. Having his clothes smell like her...wait, when did he turn into a girl? Shaking the thought from his mind, he tossed the bag into his room and turned back to Gianna. "How is she?"

Gianna shrugged as she pulled her straight hair into a long ponytail. "She's okay...I don't know what happened between you two because she won't talk about it, but she's burying herself in university work and she hasn't done that in a long while. Can you tell me what happened?"

Austin let out a breath he didn't know he was holding in. "I screwed up, that's what happened."

"Come vi si fallisce? Inizia dall'inizio."

How was he supposed to explain this to her? He didn't even know how to explain it to himself. So, he did like she asked and he started from the beginning; and not just the beginning of the previous night a few days ago. He started from the complete beginning, when he saw her running like a crazy person through Campo San Margherita. Austin told Gianna of finally meeting her after Suzetta and Guisto pushed him to talk to her, even though he would've talked to her anyhow. He told her about actually trying to learn Italian instead of just memorizing a few words to impress Ally. He went on and on about falling into a deep like with Ally, and there was absolutely no way to reverse it.

"I know your love story, Austin...what happened after the ball?"

"I screwed up. I was trying to be the gentleman and not force anything...and it blew up in my face. I was the biggest idiot. I want her, Gianna, but I didn't want to be that guy; that popstar who assumes and takes what he wants and gets slapped for it," Austin slipped down into one of the dining room chairs and looked up at her. "Am I uninvited from Carnevale?"

Gianna laughed at him, taking a seat beside him. "You're still Ally's Lost King, Austin. Just...don't be an idiot tomorrow. Fix it and show her you want her, so the White Queen and her Cavaliere can be together."

"It's all about the Queen finding her King, isn't it?"

"Of course," Gianna winked at him, unzipping the garment bag where they sat. "Now, stand up. Let's get this fitted to you."

Show her. Show her. He could show her...and from then on, he wouldn't be almost kissing her. He'd be doing it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28K 1K 32
Internet Sensation Austin Moon, has a pop magazine reporter, Allison Dawson write an article about him. This article can make or break his career. Be...
4.1K 139 28
Ally Dawson. A girl who escaped California to get rid of Dallas, now she is starting a new life in Miami, she loves Miami, it's her home. She loves e...
46.4K 699 18
Ally Dawson is 15 years old. She goes to Marino High School. She is a nerd. Her best friend Trish moves to the other side of Miami. When her mother d...
18.6K 624 29
Austin Moon was a musician with a missing part. When he moves to Miami and meets Ally Dawson his world goes Upside Down. Now Austin and Ally are comp...