Diary Of An Angelfish

By IluvOlaf3

Ever since I was a kid, all I wanted to do was to make beautiful dresses for anyone who wanted to look like a... More

The Early Years
Meeting The Bad Guys
Heist For Good Gone Wrong
Gala For Goodness
It Was All A Lie?
Water Under The Bridge
Marmalade's Defeat
Better Days (Epilogue)

The Good Samaritan Awards

465 11 5
By IluvOlaf3

Here's where your spoiler warning starts (even though not much happens in this chapter). If you haven't seen the movie yet, I suggest waiting until you have. For those of you who have seen the movie or just wanna read anyway... carry on.

It had been almost three years since I became Professor Marmalade's ward and my life since then was... humdrum. Other than to go shopping, I didn't leave the house much. Marmalade went to all of these charity events but he never asked me to go with him. For every party, gala, ceremony or soiree I couldn't go to, I made a beautiful dress for the occasion. I didn't think it was possible, but deep down... I still wanted to make beautiful dresses for anyone who wanted them.

I had just finished my latest ball gown, with a black bodice and a fluffy red skirt, when I heard the Professor call out, “Gabriela! Time for dinner!"

“Coming, sir!" I responded, taking the dress downstairs with me. I managed to store it somewhere secret so I could surprise him with it. “You can do this, Gabriela. Just tell him, Professor, I want to go to the Good Samaritan Awards with you and you should take me!' No, that'd probably be too harsh. Maybe I should give him a puppy face?"

“Gabriela, what are you on about?" Marmalade asked as I quickly sat down. “Don't you remember what we talked about?"

I nodded whilst looking down. “A good girl does not mutter. Sorry, sir."

Ever since he took me in, the Professor taught me how to act like a good girl should. Only laugh when appropriate, always speak up but never interrupt, no nagging, bragging, sweating, fretting, slipping, tripping, slurping, burping, twittering, or frittering (I know, it's a drag).

“So, Professor..." I began as I poured fish flakes into my tea, “you know how the Good Samaritan Awards are being held at the Museum of Fine Arts tomorrow?"

“I should know, I'm this year's recipient of the Golden Dolphin," Marmalade reminded me.

“I am well aware," I said. “I just wanted to ask if maybe... I could go, too?"

I saw Marmalade raise an eyebrow at me. “Now, why would you ever want to do that?"

“Oh, I'm glad you asked!" I said excitedly and got up from the table to get my dress. “I want to show everyone what a good dressmaker I am. If I get noticed by a big fashion brand or some studio looking for a costume designer, I could make a career out of it!"

“While there's nothing wrong with dreams, Gabriela, I'm afraid you shouldn't hope for too much," he replied. “Even if you could come to the ceremony, people may turn a blind eye to you."

“You don't know that," I said in my defense. “Besides, you took me in when I needed a miracle. Aren't I a living example of what a good person you are?"

“I suppose that's true," Marmalade agreed. “However, you're still just a little flower bud who isn't ready to blossom. You will be, but not right now."

“I understand, sir," I sighed in defeat as I put the dress down and returned to the table.

“We interrupt the crushing of your hopes and dreams for this special news break!" a news anchor on TV suddenly said. Our one and only Tiffany Fluffit is on the scene right now."

“Ugh, I hate her," I groaned.

“What up? It's Tiffany Fluffit, Channel 6 Action News!" she introduced. “The Bad Guys have struck again with their most brazen heist yet, proving once more that they are the most diabolical criminals of our time!"

All I knew about the Bad Guys was what I heard about them on TV, radio, and what I read in the newspaper. But in case you don't know, I can tell you about them.

First, there was the big bad Mr. Wolf, the villain of every story and leader of the pack. His paws were so quick, just spending a second near him would empty your pockets.

Then, there was Mr. Snake, said to be a serpentine, safecracking machine who would tell you the glass is half-empty, then steal it from you.

Next was Ms. Tarantula (aka “Webs"), an in-house hacker, pocket search engine and traveling tech wizard. She could crash the police's entire system in less than a nanosecond.

Next, there was Mr. Shark, the master of disguise. Apex predator of a thousand faces. His greatest trick? Stealing the Mona Lisa disguised as the Mona Lisa! Yeah, I don't know how he pulled that off either.

And last (but not least ♥) was Mr. Piranha. He's a loose cannon with a short fuse willing to scrap with anyone or anything. Some say he's brave, others call him fearless, but I think we can all agree he's just plain crazy.

“To address this heinous crime spree is the newly elected governor, Diane Foxington," Tiffany added, and the camera turned to Diane at a podium.

“Okay, yeah, I hear you, I hear you," she said to the crowd. “Listen, listen, we all know how dastardly the Bad Guys are, but more than anything... I feel sorry for them. These so-called Bad Guys are really just second-rate has-beens. Behind their  amateurish antics and, frankly, unoriginal capers... I mean, really? Another bank?– is nothing but a deep well of anger, denial, and self-loathing. And those are holes that no amount of cash or priceless artifacts can fill. So, can we just forget about the Bad Guys–"

“Why do I get the feeling she's making them angry right now?" I asked.

“Whatever do you mean, Gabriela?" Marmalade asked.

“–and focus on more positive things?" Diane continued. “And what could be more positive than the annual Good Samaritan Awards? Where tomorrow night, I'll present the Golden Dolphin to this year's Goodest Citizen!"

“That's what I mean, sir," I replied. “They might try to steal your Golden Dolphin out of spite tomorrow night."

“Oh. Well, I don't think we have to worry," Marmalade assured me. “No one's ever stolen the Golden Dolphin and got away with it."

“The Crimson Paw got away," I pointed out. Never identified and never caught, the Crimson Paw was said to be the best bad guy the world had ever seen. Very sneaky and acrobatic, his or her greatest heist was stealing the Zumpango Diamond twice (first time for profit, second time just for fun).

“Yes, but he didn't go through with it or steal anything else afterwards. I'm sure everything will be fine."

🐺🐍🕷️🦈🐟🐹🦊🐠💍🪡☄️💋

The following night, I was home alone, again. Having nothing else to do, I just put on my dress and a pair of long black gloves and played the Good Samaritan Awards on TV.

“In the past year," Tiffany interviewed Marmalade, “you have stopped wars, fed the hungry, and saved countless pandas! Some have described your goodness only as second to Mother Teresa!"

“Oh, Tiffany, it's not a competition," Marmalade replied, seemingly flattered. “And if it were, it would really be more of a tie. But we can all agree that there is a flower of goodness inside all of us, just waiting to blossom."

I looked down sadly and gently rubbed the scar on the left side of my head. I knew the Professor was a good person, but I couldn't help but wonder... Wasn't I enough? I do my best to be as perfect as I can be, but I still felt inferior. And if I'm not good enough for the Professor... would I ever be good enough for anyone?

I decided to try to push those negative feelings aside and simply pretend I was actually there.

“Good evening to you, too, Señora," I said to myself. “Oh, this old thing? I made it myself. Why, gracias! Of course, I'll make you one, my treat! Why, Señor... I would love to dance with you."

After putting on some music on my phone, I waltzed around my bedroom, pretending that I was with a tall, handsome stranger (also ironic). I was so lost in la la land, that I stopped paying attention to the events on television.

“We interrupt your bleak and meaningless lives for this special news break!" announced the news anchor, interrupting my fantasy. “Just now, the Bad Guys have been arrested for attempting to steal the Golden Dolphin at this year's Good Samaritan Awards!"

“Called it," I said to myself.

“The Bad Guys go bust!" Tiffany reported. “The nefarious fivesome has finally been captured and I, Tiffany Fluffit, am first on the scene!"

“Well, at least they didn't get away with it and the world's become a better place."

“Excuse me?" I heard Mr Wolf say on TV. Somehow, he slipped out of the police's grip. “Sorry to interrupt, but I just wanted to congratulate the governor here. I gotta say, you really got us pegged. We're just a deep well of anger and self-loathing."

“Denial," Diane added. “narcissism, emotional emptiness."

“So, we're on the same page," Wolf said flatly. “Sadly, we were never given a chance to be anything more than second-rate criminals. If only there was someone who could help the flower of goodness inside us blossom. Some icon of love and forgiveness like, um... I don't know. Mother Teresa. Best thing is to just throw us in jail for the rest of our helpless lives."

“He's lying," I figured. “As if someone's gonna fall for that."

“Wait!" Marmalade called out, making my jaw drop. “Mr. Wolf may be a savage beast, basically walking garbage... Sorry for making a point."

“Do what you need to do, pal."

“But how can we say they're hopeless if they've never been given a chance?" asked the Professor. “What if... What if we tried a little experiment, Diane? As you know, my Gala for Goodness, the hashtag charity event of the year, is coming up. If I can prove to everyone at that gala that the Bad Guys have changed, will you set them free and give them a clean start?"

“What?! Professor Marmalade!" exclaimed the chief of police. “No, no, no, no! Don't you see what he's doing? He's playing you!"

“I see what he's doing," I muttered.

“But it was my idea."

“It was his idea!" Wolf defended.

“Only because you made him have it!" the chief pointed out. “Madam Governor, you can't just let them go!"

“Professor, I'm not about to put the safety of the city on the line for an experiment," Diane said.

“Don't blame you there."

“Excuse me, Madam Governor?" Wolf interrupted. “I seem to remember that a wise person once said ‘Even trash can be recycled into something beautiful.'"

Diane seemed to be taken aback before saying, “Okay, I'm game, but only because it's you, Professor."

“What?!" I exclaimed.

“NO!" the chief yelled.

“We'll hold onto the Dolphin until the gala," Diane continued. “Just remove any... unnecessary temptation."

“Of course, good thinking," Marmalade agreed, handing Diane the Golden Dolphin. “That's why you're governor. Now that everyone's happy..."

I wasn't happy. This was a terrible idea.

“... I, Rupert Marmalade IV, will turn the Bad Guys into... the Good Guys!"

I just turned the TV off. Once the Professor came home, I was going to have something to discuss with him.

I'll try to update as soon as I can. Just don't expect it to be right away.

Until next time. 🌈

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

425 67 20
I didn't know a meeting could change all my perspective of life. It's like I'm stuck in a romance kind of movie. Everything is PERFECT. But I'm afrai...
3.1K 116 16
The Bad Guys have gone good and are now doing moonlit hero work with Governor Foxington and Gabi Santiago. Life seems good, but things are not alway...
1.6K 51 15
"I live in the shadows and hide from other people or other mutants like you 4" Years ago, I was in my room. When I heard a loud crash. I didn't know...
81.3K 1.7K 54
You are working as a assistant teacher for a part time job to earn money. You are a shy person who haven't have many friends. You live alone on your...