Black Hearted - An Enemies to...

By dlcroisette

When billionaire and self-proclaimed heartless Jack suffers his first loss in the boardroom his confidence is... More

Black Hearted: Before You Begin
Black Hearted: Chapter 1
Black Hearted: Chapter 2
Black Hearted: Chapter 3
Black Hearted: Chapter 4
Black Hearted: Chapter 5
Black Hearted: Chapter 6
Black Hearted: Chapter 7
Black Hearted: Chapter 8
Black Hearted: Chapter 9
Black Hearted: Chapter 10
Black Hearted: Chapter 11
Black Hearted: Chapter 12
Black Hearted: Chapter 13
Black Hearted: Chapter 14
Black Hearted: Chapter 15
Black Hearted: Chapter 16
Black Hearted: Chapter 17
Black Hearted: Chapter 18
Black Hearted: Chapter 19
Black Hearted: Chapter 20
Black Hearted: Chapter 21
Black Hearted: Chapter 22
Black Hearted: Chapter 23
Black Hearted: Chapter 24
Black Hearted: Chapter 25
Black Hearted: Chapter 26
Black Hearted: Chapter 27
Black Hearted: Chapter 29
Black Hearted: Chapter 30
Black Hearted: Chapter 31
Black Hearted: Chapter 32
Black Hearted: Chapter 33
Black Hearted: Chapter 34
Black Hearted: Chapter 35
Black Hearted: Chapter 36
Black Hearted: Chapter 37
Black Hearted: Chapter 38
Black Hearted: Chapter 39
Black Hearted: Chapter 40
Black Hearted: Chapter 41
Black Hearted: Chapter 42
Black Hearted: Chapter 43
Black Hearted: Chapter 44
Black Hearted Chapter 45
Black Hearted: Chapter 46
Black Hearted: Chapter 47
Black Hearted: Chapter 48
Black Hearted: Chapter 49
Black Hearted: Chapter 50
Black Hearted: Chapter 51
Black Hearted: Chapter 52
Black Hearted: Chapter 53
Black Hearted: Chapter 54
Black Hearted: Chapter 55
Black Hearted: Chapter 56
Black Hearted: Chapter 57
Black Hearted: Chapter 58

Black Hearted: Chapter 28

729 59 86
By dlcroisette

"Your vitals look good." Dr. Collins leaned back in his chair. "Seems the new medication is working."

One of the knots in Solana's stomach unwound. She squeezed her Abuela's hand.

Ximena smiled. "It's easier on the stomach, so that helps."

"Excellent." The screen on the tablet in front of him went dark. "Is there anything else you'd like to discuss?"

"You've been very kind, but I think my doctor can take over now."

The bigger knot in her stomach—the one sitting there since she'd returned to a Jack-less kitchen last week — pinched. This was their last connection to him. After today, there would be no reason, no excuse, to see Jack Blackhorne.

Dr. Collins folded his hands on his desk. "Of course, whoever you feel most comfortable with. But know that I'm here should you have any questions or concerns. Jack wanted to ensure you're well looked after."

The reminder of his kindness grated against how she'd behaved last Sunday. What started as remorse mixed with embarrassment at her actions at the breakfast table quickly sank into regret. How could she expect anyone to drop their plans simply because a little boy asked them to? In the moment, she'd felt righteous, defending her baby brother against the selfish man who couldn't find the time to spend with a child when Luc so desperately wanted Jack to come to his party. In truth, she was disappointed she wouldn't get to spend more time with him.

Despite the circumstances and the reason, she'd liked the man who showed up on her doorstep and spent the night. Not quite Dr. Jekyll to his cocky Mr. Hyde, the version of Jack she met that night offered a glimpse of something beyond the CEO-slash-playboy the tabloids presented and his actions in the club confirmed. Away from the public, he was quieter, uncontrived, authentic and, she was fascinated, desired more.

The refusal to stay had cut deep. She hadn't listened to his words, simply assumed they were an excuse and reacted. Badly. The arrogance she's accused him of being when they first met had flowed through her own veins, colouring her world, her actions. Since that day, a cloud of gloom hung over her.

Her abuela let go of her hand. "Thank you, Dr. Collins."

"Give them this." He pushed a small piece of paper across the table.

As her grandmother read the note, the cords of remorse twisted in Solana's stomach. She had to face facts. It was over. Her legs didn't want to move, but she forced them anyhow. "C'mon Abuela, let's go."

Ximena folded the note and dropped it into her purse. "The next bus doesn't come for half an hour. Can we grab a coffee?"

Dr. Collins checked his watch, and the corner of his mouth curved upward. "Say, it's almost 3. Can I join you? The café makes a pretty mean latte and I could use a pick me up."

"We wouldn't want to inconvenience—"

Her abuela cut her off. "Great idea."

The spacious cafeteria was bright and airy, even with the gathering crowd seeking their afternoon caffeine fix. Dotted between square tables and straight-back chairs in muted greens sat cozy couches covered in a flower pattern matching the tall potted plants throughout the seating area.

As they made their way to the front of the line, Ximena took her by the arm. "I'm just going to nip to the ladies."

"Okay, we'll grab a table by the window."

Dr. Collins ordered three lattes and paid before Solana had a chance to pull her wallet from her purse. "You've been very kind. Thank you for looking after my grandmother. I know you Jack pressured you into this."

"Your grandmother is a pleasure to treat." He stuffed his hands into his pockets. "I wish all my patients were so easy."

The generosity of this man created an ease in her. She would miss him. "Still, we'll be out of your hair now."

He handed a paper cup to her and picked up the other two, steering them toward an empty table. "I want you to come to me with anything you need. Regardless of your..." His dark eyes met hers. "your relationship with Jack."

Curiosity burned inside Solana and the words poured out of her mouth before her brain could stop them. "How well do you know Jack?"

"You might say I know him as well as Jack lets anyone know him."

She huffed. "He does have layers."

"Ah, yes. Well put." The doctor ripped open a packet of sugar and held it suspended above the foam in his cup. "I met Jack when his uncle was diagnosed with terminal cancer." Clear crystals spilled into the white, cloudlike surface of his coffee. "I was a resident at the time, practically living at this hospital. James Blackhorne was a... hard man to like, but he was the only family Jack had left aside from a few distant cousins."

Dr. Collins stirred his coffee. "Like most people, Jack struggled to come to terms with his uncle's diagnosis and our first few interactions were what some might call hostile."

Images of Jack berating the man in the lobby of Blackhorne & Caldwell came to mind. "Sounds right."

He shook his head. "But I saw a side of him very few others ever get the privilege to experience."

Solana thought back to the conversation in her bedroom, Jack's skin pressed against her back, the longing in his words when he reminisced about his live-in nanny. Was she one of the privileged few as well? She shook off the idea. He'd been drunk. She wasn't special.

Dr. Collins seemed to read her mind. "I presume you're also in this small group."

"Me? I barely know Jack."

"Perhaps." He drew out the word. "Or maybe you've made more of an impression than you realize."

"Jack just wants to get in my—" Solana's brain cut off her rambling mouth just shy of embarrassing herself. "My grandmother's good books."

He chuckled. "You don't have to cover around me. I'm perfectly aware of Jack's reputation and lack of female friends. Can't blame him. His uncle's influence skewed Jack's world. He had tremendous sway over Jack, and Jack tried to be like the man. James was a lifelong bachelor who, if you asked me, hated women. The nurses drew straws to see who got stuck tending to the dying man. Of course, James was replaced with his so-called friend Draven."

Solana scoffed at the leech's name. With role models like these, Jack's persona he displayed to the world made a little more sense.

"You have to realize," Dr. Collin's laid his palms on the table, "a lot of that is Jack living up to what he thinks the world expects of him."

Solana cocked her head to the side. "Seriously? You're making excuses for his bad behaviour? He has all the money in the world. What does he care about what others think of him?"

"You'd be surprised how much he cares." Warm eyes met hers and Solana could see why Jack opened up to this man. He was easy to talk to. A quality that made him a good doctor as well. "Money comes with strings."

"So does poverty."

"Agreed." He nodded. "All I'm saying is try to look at things from Jack's perspective. You might find it's not all Lear jets and caviar."

Not wanting to open that box, she searched the cafeteria. "Where has my abuela disappeared to?" She caught a glimpse of her red jacket and relaxed. Only for a moment. The arm of that red jacket was wound around a man in an expensive suit. "You've got to be kidding me."

Dr. Collin's turned his head. "Ah, there he is." The doctor leaned in. "Don't tell him I told you, but when he learned you were coming in for your final visit today, he asked me to delay you until he could get over here."

She took a sip of her cooling latte, trying to process that information. The other night he'd sought her out as well, but she'd assumed the alcohol was the reason he'd ended up on her doorstep. The conquest he couldn't achieve burning in his liquor infused veins.

As she watched Jack stroll arm in arm with her abuela, Solana couldn't deny he appeared stone cold sober today. And looked freaking hot as hell in a charcoal grey suit, baby blue shirt and blue and white striped tie. Did he have a collection of ties that perfectly matched the colour of his eyes? Was it a power move?

It worked. On her at least.

"My Heart and Sol, look who I bumped into." Her Abuela beamed up at Jack. His expression held a tenderness as he helped Ximena into her chair. "Isn't this fortunate?"

"Yes." Solana crossed her arms. "Completely unexpected."

Jack's head jerked in her direction, his gaze flashing between her and Dr. Collins. Guilt over her snarky remark ate at her and she forced herself to relax, dropping her arms and taking a sip of her coffee. The hot beverage matched the heat rising on her cheeks.

"Good to see you, Jack." Dr. Collins said. "Grab a seat."

Solana shifted over as Jack took a chair from another table and tucked himself in between her and her abuela.

"Nice to see you again too, Solana." His cool stare made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. It was like he could see right through her.

Was he here for her or her abuela? Dr. Collins hadn't actually been specific. A different kind of heat flushed over her skin.

"We can't stay. Abuela, the bus will be here soon." She picked her purse up off the table and stood, avoiding Jack's gaze.

What was she doing? She'd tried to find an excuse to see him again and the second he shows up the urge to flee was over-powering. How could she be such a hypocrite, running hot and cold around Jack? He didn't deserve this. They were supposed to be friends.

But she didn't sit down, embarrassed to reverse her action.

"But I haven't had my coffee yet. Can't we catch the next one?" Ximena reached for a package of sugar, then, catching Dr. Collins watching her, moved over to the sugar substitute.

"Or I could drive you home." All eyes at the table turned to Jack.

Despite her rude behaviour, he offered kindness again. Another knot in her stomach formed. "Traffic will be insane at this time. It'll be gridlock." The excuse poured out of her.

"All the more reason to ride home in style. The bus will be...uncomfortable." Jack turned to Ximena. "You'd rather make the trip in the back of my limo, wouldn't you?"

Solana sank into her chair, admitting defeat. There was no way her abuela wasn't going to take Jack up on his offer. Seemed like she'd be spending the next few hours with Jack Blackhorne.

A thrill ran from her heart down to lower regions at the prospect.

Hey DL here. I know, I know. You saw this one coming a mile away. As you've gathered, there was more to that conversation in the last chapter between Jack and Dr. Collins. It seemed too much to add there. Should I do a bonus chapter with it someday?

I'm celebrating this week, because I became a published author! I released Star Struck, a short rom-com under my pen name Willa Drew. This story was inspired by elusive_6788 and now its a novel you can read on Kindle Unlimited or buy for your bookself here ---->

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 75.8K 113
In which, a paranoid schizophrenic vows to avenge his fiancee's death by taking revenge on the woman who Killed her. _____________ A modern day depic...
103K 4.1K 55
IMPORTANT: The story contains lots of swooning moments, funny insults, chaotic and HOT situations, staring contests with a couple of intense blue eye...
291K 17.2K 20
My eyes open again when he pulls his thumb out of my mouth. I was staring at Thaddeus, wondering if he felt what I had felt. His gaze gave him away...
146K 3.8K 24
On the surface, Aiden had it all. Wealth, good looks, and intelligence. But beneath the veneer of masculine perfection lay a broken man. A man obsess...