A Gangster With Roses • Tommy...

By starlightluvrr

Rosella Kimber is the daughter of Billy Kimber, one of the biggest crime bosses in 1919 England. Tommy Shelby... More

A GANGSTER WITH ROSES
some girl before france
the kimbers
deal with the devil
she's the past
secret lovers
do you dance?
snow white lips
doomsday
you've seen me
shock
deflower
fast women & slow horses
heaven is yours
betrayal
already broken
family business
love your enemies
bittersweet
it's a boy
king of small heath
thomas shelby with roses
black star day
revenge
kimber and his men
love, rosie
all is fair
before the storm
handsome strangers
sabini's club
tommy & rose
lost letters
back to birmingham
confessions
their last petal
delight before destruction
delilah
night of ecstasy
marry me, rosie
forever red
no one came back
ghosts
silence at last
husband and wife
killing is a kindness
forgive to forget
the marquis of lorne
affairs
art of seduction
falling apart
angel of death
tommy's girl
fire and smoke
escapes
ribbon
final hour
there's a woman
the most of everything
russian roulette
night of horrors
tatiana
death is sweet
in the bleak midwinter

the derby

3K 106 48
By starlightluvrr

|53|
PART ONE

LONDON

DERBY DAY, A day like no other, where rich and poor are tuning their radios to hear the winnings, men are laying their bets and ladies getting their dresses fitted and tightened for the glorious occasion.

However, to some, this day meant more than just suits, dresses and drinks.

This is the day the peaky blinders take over London. But like always, on a day like this, there's a price to pay.

Today stood as a line between life and death for Tommy and maybe others. He could feel it, he could feel death approaching. He had been so close to it so many times before that the feeling became too familiar.

"Are you sure you're up to this, ma'am?" Victoria, Rose's maid, asks.

Rose stares at the large mirror in front of her, observing her sky blue dress and hat with a blue ribbon. She felt delicate, like a spring flower or a china set. The window's golden light shone directly onto the growing belly she cradled, then onto her reflection.

"Yes, I am Victoria." She takes a deep breath. "And I think I like this dress for the races, I'm going to pick it."

"But the doctor said you should stay home, that you could give birth any day now—"

"Honestly, I feel fine." Rose interrupts, dusting her dress. "Babies hardly come on time. Do you mind getting another hat I could try on please?"

Victoria nods slowly, leaving the room.

In all honesty, Rose was terrified. She could sense that this day wasn't a normal day.

Tommy had been consumed in his office for weeks leading up to the derby.

Something was going on. She had always known that he had planned on kicking Sabini out the game today. However, she felt like there was more. There was always more when it came to Tommy.

And she was right.

Today, Thomas Shelby was going to kill a man.

But it wasn't like any murder he had carried out before, it was different, for so many reasons.

"Ah, there you are. Your tea is getting cold." Ada walks into the room, still in her nightgown.

"Do you know where Tommy is?" Rose asks nervously. She had woken up and he had already gone, the bed was empty.

The two were at Ada's house in London.

"He left with James, the boy I let stay here. They went to Camden Town I believe." Ada sighs, sitting down. "Something to do with getting his business back from Solomons."

Rose runs her hand through her golden hair, stressed. "Of course, it's always something to do with business."

"When is it not." Ada mutters, taking a cigarette out.

She stops and stares at Rose.

"Are you sure you're okay to go to the races? You look like you could pop!" Ada exclaims, doing explosion hand gestures.

Rose frowns.

"No offence." Ada mumbles quickly.

"Why does everyone keep asking that?" Rose groans. "I feel fantastic, spectacular, bloody brilliant actually."

She sounded like she was trying to convince herself more than others.

Ada chuckles. "That's exactly how I felt and I ended up nearly giving birth on The Garrison floor on Arthur's birthday."

Rose smiles. "Alright, nothing can top that."

Ada opens up a newspaper, grinning. "You'd be surprised."

Suddenly, the door swings open and Tommy walks into the living room. He still had his leather gloves on his hands and long raven black coat on, you could tell he had been outside from his slightly ruffled brunette hair.

"Where the bloody hell have you been?" Rose crosses her arms.

"Business." Was all Tommy said as he hung his coat up.

When in reality, he has just negotiated the whole future of his business with Alfie Solomons at his warehouse.

There was a saying in London, that Alfie Solomons doesn't negotiate, it's his way or the bullet. Yet Tommy was far too tactical and strategic. He could secure any business deal in a second. So, they ended up agreeing on Alfie having thirty-five percent. The Shelby's had won their power back — for now.

"I'll be in the office. I have to write something." Tommy announces, already heading towards the doorway.

"I thought I was the writer in this house." Rose teases.

"I'm no poet." Tommy begins. "I'm not as gifted as you, and it's definitely not a novel but it is important." 

He pauses, gazing at his wife for a couple seconds. This could be the last time he saw her like this, at home, in this light, in that dress.

Tommy walks up to Rose, fixing the strap of her dress for her.

"There." He whispers, moving hair out her face.

She looks up at him, a small smile breaks out on her lips. It was that look, that look she gave him that made his black heart beat again, made him feel something — only Rose did that.

He places his hand on her bump briefly, rubbing it, before walking away without another word. He soon found himself in the office of the house, closing the door behind him and sitting down.

Tommy takes a deep breath before beginning to write the most important letter of his life.

My name is Thomas Shelby,

and today might be my last day alive.

For today is Derby Day, and I'm going to kill a man.

The murder will take place this afternoon at the Epsom races. If this is the end for me, then some might say it was destiny. A perfect tragedy.

I may be able to escape after the killing, but I do not know. I have always been a gambling man, so I can say that the odds seem to be against me.

That is why I am writing this letter.

I've been forced by an agent of The Crown to carry out this murder. And if I am to die, I want the following facts to be known.

My wife, Rose Shelby, is innocent of any involvement.

The rest of my family is also innocent.

I can't say that we have not sinned, we are all guilty of something. Something greater than us. But I can clearly write that I have not shared details of this mission with any of them.

No Shelby Company assets were used.

The man I have been instructed to kill is Field Marshal Russell. He was formerly a Royal Irish Constable who committed several unspeakable crimes in Cork.

I have no remorse in my heart if he is to die.

However, the reasons behind his killing should be known internationally — he was not a good man.

After I have served my purpose in this killing, I believe that it is the intention to kill me also.

Tommy looks up at the ceiling. Everything felt still. Calm. Quiet. It was that haunting silence, the silence before a storm.

He continues writing.

Therefore, I want to name the individual who orchestrated and initiated this whole plan,

Major Edward James. He is part of the British Secret Intelligence Service. He is former Mayor of Coventry and now Inspector.

He chose me to do this dirty work with members of the IRA as an act of vengeance due to a longstanding hatred that started when he learnt of the history between me and his late wife, Daisy Wilson-James.

In the event of my death, he must be held accountable for all his crimes.

If you are reading this, then I am dead already.

My last request is that my widow, Rose, is looked after. She was with me when I walked in darker places, when I had not yet earned the respect of many,

I will love her better dead, where this can't hurt her anymore.

My last request is that these facts be known by the world and that my family, including my child, can live freely without shame.

Yours Sincerely,
Thomas Shelby.

"Brought you some tea." Rose smiles, entering the room unexpectedly.

Tommy hides the letter as she places the cup down on the table for him.

"What were you writing?"

"A hundred pounds." Tommy says randomly, sitting up on his chair.

Rose laughs nervously. "What?"

"You owe me a hundred pounds if the baby is a boy." He shrugs.

"Oh is that what it is? Tommy Shelby is laying a bet on his own baby?" Rose scoffs, smiling.

"Are you scared you'll lose?" Tommy mocks, a small grin on his lips. "Thought you weren't scared of anything, Rosie."

"It's going to be a girl, Tommy. I'm never wrong."

"If you were sure you'd bet on it."

Rose shakes her head, smiling. "You can fix races but you can't fix what your baby will be, Thomas."

"Sounds like you've just accepted defeat—"

"Fine, two hundred. If it's a girl, you give me two hundred."

"Done." Tommy reaches his hand out for her to shake.

"Done." Rose smirks, shaking his hand.

"So you've decided to come to the races..." Tommy starts. He knew his girl too well, Rose was stubborn and there was no stopping her.

"Yes, I never miss the derby."

All of a sudden, Victoria knocks, walking into the room with a new hat for Rose to try on.

"Wow, this one is beautiful." Rose observes the hat in awe. "Victoria?"

"Yes ma'am?"

"Do you mind putting my blue sapphire necklace out on my dressing table, I'm going to wear it to the races."

"Of course." Victoria nods, leaving.

Rose turns back to Tommy, smiling. "So, is everyone going to be there? What's happening with Arthur in prison?"

Tommy stands up, rubbing his cigarette on his lips. "I have a plan for Arthur."

•••

HM BIRMINGHAM PRISON

In prison, there was no days, no hours, nor minutes. Everything just is. From one beating to the next, one dark cell to another. Arthur had lost track of time, he couldn't remember a time when chains weren't on his legs or he wasn't in his torn up prison clothes.

But today, today he saw the first ray of sunlight in what seemed like years.

"Are you sure you've got the right Arthur, there's a loads of Arthur's in Birmingham." Arthur was hesitant as Officer Evans unlocked his handcuffs.

He couldn't believe he was being set free.

"Yeah, but there's only one Arthur Shelby." The officer responds, rolling his eyes.

"Well technically, my dad is Arthur Shelby Senior—"

"For Christ sake, you're getting out Mr Shelby, you're free to go."

Arthur's face lights up. He knew this was all Tommy. It always was. Today, Tommy needed him more than ever if he wanted to stand a chance of being alive.

•••

SHELBY COMPANY,
SMALL HEATH

"I'm sorry but Mr Shelby isn't here, he's in London. He won't be here all day." Michael explains over the phone, in Tommy's office.

This was the fourth call in the space of five minutes.

Polly walks in, clutching her bag. "You just got out of prison and you're back to working."

Ever since Michael had been let out a couple days ago, he had thrown himself into work to try distract his mind.

"Are you still not speaking to her?" Polly sits opposite him.

"I don't want to talk about her." Michael puts the phone down.

It was Sarah who had gotten him out of prison, using her family's funds to bribe the inspector. Even though Michael had told her not to, she still did it. He couldn't forgive himself, or her, he'd feel forever guilty.

Jeremiah had spent years saving up money for his children, part of the money was Isaac's money that he had left behind when he had died.

Michael just couldn't speak to her at the moment, he didn't know how to feel.

"The truth is, I don't want you here in Small Heath anymore." Polly's tone was stern, catching Michael off guard. "You were in prison, you could've fucking died. I hate that I brought you into this violent life."

"Mum—"

"I want you to wash your hair and clothes clean of this dark city, you don't belong here, Michael... you're far too good." Polly puts money down on the desk. "Catch the next train and go far away, write to me on Sundays, visit on holy days."

He stares at the money.

"Just don't be here when I get back from London."

Without looking at him, Polly gets up and leaves Michael with her wounding words.

She knew firsthand that the truth could be cold and harsh, but she also knew that the same truth would set Micheal free from all this dirty work.

She couldn't lose another child.

•••

The wind brushed against Tommy's face as he looked around at his brothers and other peaky blinders that were with him. They had gathered at an open field with two Riley vans, ready to make their journey to the races.

Even though killing Marshal Russell seemed like an uncertain mission, there was one mission Tommy was certain about, and that was taking over Sabini on the racetracks.

"Thank you for getting me out of there brother." Arthur had a great big smile on his face, walking up to his brother's side.

"Don't thank me yet." Tommy pats Arthur's shoulder before clearing his throat.

"Right." He begins loudly, catching everyone's attention as he stood up on the van platform.

"Gentleman, today we are not fucking about. I hope you've all obeyed instructions and brought loaded firearms with you."

They all nod, lifting their guns in unison.

"Good, good. You all know the rules by now, if you're lifted on a racetrack with a loaded weapon you get twenty years." Tommy explains.

"Feels like I just did twenty years." Arthur adds.

"Well let's hope that'll be your last time in handcuffs." Tommy mentions, knowing that was too good to ever be true.

Tommy turns his attention back to everyone, continuing. "But it's alright since today, no one will get lifted. Because today, there will be no coppers around."

They all look at each other surprised.

Tommy lifts up his pocket watch. "At exactly three o'clock there will be an incident in the owners enclosure and all the coppers in the track will be distracted. They'll be looking for someone."

Tommy had carefully planned everything out, it was a dangerous gamble but one he was willing to make.

"Looking for who?" John questions, holding his gun.

"Me, they'll be looking for me." He answers. "Now while the coppers are busy with me, you will make your move on Sabini's pitches."

Tommy's voice grows more serious. "You confiscate his takings, destroy his licenses and you do it all at gunpoint, understood?"

They all agree in unison.

"Good. He normally has police protection so there's no chance of him being armed."

Tommy steps down. "Remember, we should aim to not fire a single shot today as we take over." He grips his cigarette. "Only beer for now boys, we'll have plenty of time for rum and whiskey after."

"And you can all lay ten bob on the horse Nom De Guerre, heard she's going to win!" John smiles, as they cheer, laughing with him.

"Lay your bets now boys but remember, do not make a move until three when the coppers leave." Tommy warns. "That is all."

"Tommy, are you sure this is going to work?" Arthur whispers, still having his doubts.

"You'll see. Trust me brother." Tommy exhales smoke out his mouth.

"Now let's go see my wife, who's probably already waiting for me at the races." Tommy gets into the van, shutting the door.

This plan needed to work, everything depended on it. Everything.

•••

part two coming soon...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 53.3K 92
The peaky blinders kidnap Billy Kimber's daughter for ransom. But Tommy gets more than he bargained for when he falls in love. Will get spicy in the...
301K 5.7K 76
They were once everything. They were once in charge. Now everything has changed. The Peaky Blinders were all arrested and thought to be put away...
415K 13.2K 53
It's the roaring twenties in Birmingham, the Peaky Blinders exist alongside God but they were much, much closer at hand than Him. Mercedes de Silva...
134K 10.1K 68
"I do bad things. But you already know that." ~ Thomas Shelby A tragic misunderstanding. A murder. A secret. An unlikely partnership. When the disapp...