The Lost Blight : TOH x OC

By LazyWhiteRaven

What if the Blights had a middle child but lost her and she ended up in the human realm when she was only thr... More

Madelene's Info
The Boiling Isles
Potion Delivery
A/N
Hexside
Madelene's Updated Info for S1
The Intruder
Little Miss Perfect
A/N
A/N 2
Two Sides of the Same Coin
Cost of Interest
Q&A?
Q&A Part 2
New Beginnings
The Bet part 1
The Bet part 2
Q&A 2 electric boogaloo
Q&A 2 electric boogaloo 2
WAH! Read at your Own Risk
Blightfully Unaware
Setting Boundaries
Story Update A/N
School Day Frights
A/N
Pause
Really Weird Things
Turns into Romantic Shipping

Covention

1.9K 53 27
By LazyWhiteRaven

Alright, first off... Thank you all so much for 1.4k reads!!! This is actually insane, I never really thought my stories would get this far soooo as a treat for you guys, I'll try to make a lil' something something, it'll take a while but I will get it done. Again thank you so much everyone! Alright on with the chapter, ONWARD!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a couple of days since Eda became the owl beast and I had my one-on-one talk with her. I really like Eda. She may seem like a reckless adult, but she really cares about us even if she doesn't show it.

What am I doing again in that timeframe?

...Oh yeah.

I've also been practicing casting the light spell, and it kinda became second nature. Not with burns and bruises, of course. I can still taste the dirt on my teeth for the last few days until I get the gist of it. Just like Eda said, it all depends on the spell circle and it depends on what my intention on the spell is.

I've done different things with it. I still haven't shown these to the others but I will soon because right now we're working at Eda's stand. Well... me and Eda. Luz is reading King the Good Witch Azura book. But there's something weird, and that's that no one is around, even other stalls.

I crossed my arms, leaning my weight on my left foot.

Madelene: Huh, there's no customers... ~and stalls. Edaaaa.... why are we even here?

Luz stops reading to pop a question.

Luz: Madelene's right, Eda. Where is everyone? What's going on?

Eda stops dusting her merchandise and grows serious.

Eda: This is a bad omen, there must be something horrible happening today.

Madelene: Horrible? What's so horrible that everyone's afraid to go outside?

Just as I said that, we suddenly hear Willow call out to us, followed by Gus.

Willow: Luz! Madelene!

Gus: Something amazing is happening today.

Raising my brow, I jut my jaw towards Luz, letting her know that she needs to greet them properly. Luz smiled sheepishly, closing the book. We turn in their direction as they reach the stand.

Luz: Gus, Willow! Hey!

Madelene: Hey you two, what's up?

Willow raises up a poster of a young witch looking into a cauldron, the poster read "Covention, which coven are you in? Mystery Guest!" they really missed the opportunity to put in "Witch coven are you in?".

Willow: It's the annual Covention. Student witches get to see all the types of covens before they get placed in one.

Humming in thought, I quite remember a few conventions in the human realm.

Madelene: Are there any benefits?

Luz: A job fair for witches!? Maddy! Eda! Can we go?

Luz leaned on my shoulder expectantly for Eda to say yes, but she said otherwise, making Luz whine as she slid down to the ground. I giggled, then crouched down and pat her head.

Madelene: There there, Luz.

Eda: I never joined a coven for a reason. Sure it's like a fun club for witches, but you're also giving up your magical independence to be part of a crooked system.

Halting my petting, I furrowed my brow as I thought of her reasoning. Kinda right in her own way, I wouldn't like to be that dependable on systems anyway.

Willow whimpered a little as she lowered the poster as I stood up.

Madelene: True, I guess. Some would see it that way, others may not. Right?

Eda: No judgment here. In any case, I haven't been to one since we were girls.

Luz: We?

Madelene: Oh no.

Luz then suddenly stood up hearing a hint of Eda's past. I hold her collar, not wanting her to hound the older woman. Man, she really loves backstories.

Eda: I-I mean-

Luz: Who's we? You have a mysterious past! Now we gotta go!

Madelene: Luz...

I warned, pushing her away a little out of Eda's reach.

Eda: No.

Madelene: Eda, just agree. You'll save yourself the hassle.

Eda: Again. No.

Luz: Okay, then you leave me no choice.

Luz gestured for King then to read from her Azura book.

King: "You shall not shan't do it no more harm Azura calleth out..."

King kept reading while Eda went dead-eyed.

Eda: So flowery, so awful.

She groaned as she opened the portal door and walked through.

King: "...formidable. Hecati could only screech and screeching did she..."

Luz: Uhh Madelene if you could.

Madelene: Hm? Oh, sure.

I pull my hands to myself, releasing her before going towards King.

I picked up King and then tossed him into the portal before it closed. It immediately opened again, as Eda shortly walked out with King in her hair.

Eda: Stop it! Stop it! I will literally do anything to stop this!

Madelene: I told you to just agree.

I grumbled to myself, rolling my eyes.

---

We are now outside a convention building. Luz, Willow, and Gus were excited, while Eda groaned, pinching the bridge of her nose. I pat her on the shoulder.

Madelene: Oh come on Eda, what's the worst that can happen?

Eda: Gotta keep a low profile.

Eda is currently trying to pull her cowl over her head with me and Luz helping her because her hair was making it difficult.

Luz: Is this cowl really necessary?

Madelene: Of... course it is!

Eda: You think my wanted posters are for petty theft?

We finally managed to push her hair in as multiple objects fell out.

Madelene: Maybe?

Eda: Partly, the big whammy is because I disobeyed the law and refuse to join a coven. If I'm seen I could go to jail.

Madelene: Again.

Willow: Maybe this informative event will inspire you to join a coven.

Willow said as she held up Eda's wanted poster, only for Eda to draw a spell circle to pull Willow's cowl over her face.

Madelene: Eda.

I helped Willow fix her cowl, she gave me a smile as she thanked me.

Eda: Let's just get this over with.

We all walked through the front doors and Luz and I look on in amazement.

Luz: Whoa... was I even alive before now?

Madelene: What's on those banners?

Gus: Those are the main nine covens, but there's hundreds of other ones you can join.

Gus explained as we started to walk through the hall. I was looking through the different coven booths and the choices are broad, Gus wasn't kidding when he said there were hundreds of other covens to choose from. I even spotted Skara talking to a witch with spider traits over at the stylist coven.

We said hello to each other, and I asked her if the certain triclops and prickly cactus are here. Laughing in amusement, she confirmed, adding that they are meeting up. Skara asked me if we wanted to hang later and I agreed. We decided to meet by the stylist coven booth and said our goodbyes before I quickly caught up with the others by the illusionist coven.

Madelene: Hey guys, what did I miss?

Eda: Oh good. The sensible one's here. I want you both to see this.

Madelene: See what?

Eda: That.

She pointed to a boy getting a coven sigil for the illusionist coven; after a few seconds, lines of the same color as the sigil began to crawl up the boy's arm and up to his face. The lines disappeared and the boy looked like he was drained or something.

Madelene: What the heck just happened? What were those lines?

Eda: When you join a coven, all your other magic's locked away. From now on, that kid will only be able to make illusions. Since I never joined a coven, I can do every kind of magic.

She proves it further by creating a ball of fire in her left hand and a ball of water in her right, she then brings her hands down dispelling the elemental orbs then walks ahead of us.

Eda: That's why I'm the most powerful witch on the Boiling Isles.

Madelene: That shouldn't really be an option. Magic's... magic's beautiful. Why should they lock it just to do one specific skill?

I just found out I have magical abilities, I'm not about to join a coven only for my other magic to be taken away.

Eda: Sometimes people are just up for this to blend in. You'll be surprised how many sides with me.

We follow Eda through the rest of the Covention.

We reach a coven with guards with bird masks standing guard at the entryway as other witches enter. Above the entrance, is a banner with a sigil that looks complex.

Luz: That panel looks popular.

Gus: *gasp* It's the Emperor's Coven. Do you think they'll sign my forehead?

Willow: Only one way to find out!

Willow and Gus run inside excitedly, Luz was about to follow but stops and looks back since me and Eda weren't following.

Luz: Aren't you guys coming?

Eda: No way, out of all the covens they're the worst. I'll wait out here.

Madelene: Sorry Luz, but I'm just not sold on all this coven business. I'll stay he-

*Caw caw*

A crow with holes in its midsection suddenly arrived

Madelene: What's that?

Eda: Crow call.

Eda grabbed the crow and answered the call, so that's how witches make calls here.

Eda: Hello? Who? And how did you get this number? Alright alright. Here Madelene.

Now that's surprising.

Madelene: For me?

I took the bird and held it up to my ear.

Madelene: Hello?

I hear Skara on the other end.

Skara: Hey Madelene, where are you right now?

Madelene: At the entrance to the Emperor's Coven panel. Why?

Skara: That's great, I'm inside with Boscha, we're in the third row.

Madelene: Oh, okay. I'll see you guys there.

Sakara: See ya Madelene!

Boscha: What?! She is not-

I heard Boscha say but got cut off as the call ended and the crow flew out of my hand.

Madelene: Looks like I am going after all.

I said to Eda as I shrugged. At least I have some purpose that is not watching the program. She returned it and I went inside with Luz. She spotted Willow and Gus and sat with them.

I searched for Skara and Boscha. I spot them on the third row close to the stage. Skara waved towards me with a smile while Boscha looked annoyed to see me. I smirked. Just to mess with Boscha, I gave the same wink I did back at Hexside and she looked dumbfounded like before as I approached them.

Boscha: Stop that, you-!

Madelene: Me... what?

I challenged her, smirking still as I sat next to her. She uncomfortably scooted away from me, hissing at Skara.

Boscha: Why'd you invite her here!?

Skara: I thought It'd be fun. Besides, you guys seemed to be getting along two weeks ago.

Boscha: What part of that interaction looked like we were getting along!?

She practically screamed only to be shushed by the audience.

Boscha: Oh come on! I'm being bullied here!

Someone: NO ONE CARES!

Almost silently, Skara coughed on her hand, stopping the laugh in her throat.

Skara: Burn.....

Madelene: Alright I'll lay off.

I crossed one leg over the other as I crossed my arms, turning my attention to the stage as Principal Bump rose from the floor as the music started to play. I hear Boscha huff and I chuckle only to feel her gaze on me again. Giving her a subtle nod towards the stage, I let her be, for now, wanting to lay off just as I had intended.

Principal Bump casts a spell circle summoning a microphone with wings.

Principal Bump: Hello Bonesborough! Students ask me all the time, "Principal Bump what's the height of magical achievement?".

A boy in the crowd casts a spell that made his head grow which tilts to the side and crushes the one sitting next to him. I raise a brow as my mouth hung open in disbelief.

Principal Bump: Wow, I've failed you as a principal.

Madelene: More like he's failed you as a student.

I hear a chuckle from Skara while a muffled one came from Boscha. Huh, so she can laugh. Bump grabs the mic and continues.

Principal Bump: It's being selected to join the best of the best, and there are non better than the jewel of the Coven system and the enforcers of his will... The Emperor's Coven!

Three guards that were outside this hall rose from the floor hands behind their backs.

Principal Bump: Feast your eyes on this elite force. Each member handpicked to help usher in a new age of controlled magic.

They cast white spell circles and fired off beams of fire, water, and lightning, colliding in the air before exploding in a flower causing the crowd to cheer.

Elite force, yeah right I bet Hooty can take these bozos I thought as the guards hold their hands to their chest holding their casted magic.

Principal Bump: Members of the Emperor's coven get access to all, yes all forms of magic. Ooh. Aah.

The crowd oohed and aahed at this. Wait, they get to use all their magic? I was starting to consider joining but I shake my head of these thoughts, there's got to be a catch, there's always a catch.

Principal Bump: But. Only the best can ascend these ranks. Someday that could be one of you.

Bump pointed to the crowd, I look to where he pointed and saw Mittens who gains a cat-like smile before grinning ear to ear with her fists to her chin. Huh, must be her dream to join this Coven. I turn my attention back to the stage as the guards turned to white mist disappearing.

Principal Bump: And now, I am pleased to introduce the esteemed leader of this Coven and this year's mystery guest. You know her, you love her, Lilith!

I look up and in a flash of blue light a giant Raven on a branch appeared, it then flew down from the branch and landed in front of Bump. It screeched as it fired a wave of blue light, it met the walls of the bleachers and rose up. It screeched again as it opened its wings turning into multiple blue orbs of light before dissipating, revealing a cloaked woman in a black dress with her arms outstretched and a white half mask with a long beak floating beside her. The crowd cheered for her.

Madelene: Why does she look familiar?

Lilith: Thank you all.

She drew a blue spell circle as a blue glow surrounded her cloak, she flicked her hand, and the cloak flew off her and covered Principal Bump as he walked off the stage. Okay, that was just plain rude.

Lilith: It wasn't easy for me to rise to the top. I also started from humble beginnings.

She then held her fist up.

Lilith: Now I have the highest honor of enforcing the Emperor's will. So be more. The Emperor's Coven awaits you!

She spun around drawing a large spell circle summoning the Raven before opening its wings and popping into big and small orbs.

After the demonstration, we exited the hall. Boscha summoned a small scroll and began to type.

Boscha: Well as "fun" as that was. I have somewhere else to be.

Skara: Really? I thought the three of us could go find Amity and look at the other covens together?

Boscha: Yeah, no thanks. Bye.

Now that was just mean. She walked off and Skara sighed sadly her shoulders slumped, I place a hand on her shoulder comforting her.

Madelene: Hey, we don't need her to have fun.

Skara: Really?

Madelene: Why don't you and I look at the other covens together?

Skara smiled a little and nodded her head.

Skara: Yeah, you're right! Let's go!

She ran ahead of me with a skip in her step, I chuckled slightly and then ran after her.

Madelene: Hey! Wait for me Marble!

Skara: Hurry up, Madz!

Skara and I have been looking through the Covens and it's been pretty fun hanging out with her. Skara is a really sweet girl the opposite of Sour Plums. She's adorable like Luz.

Skara: Ooh, let's look at that one!

She grabs my hand and pulls me along to a booth with a banner that reads "Flower's Coven". We reached the booth and Skara begins talking with the Coven representative as she let go of my hand. She seems to be having a fun time despite Boscha not coming with us, I wonder what's more important than spending time with your friend, especially someone like Skara? I notice a white flower and picked it up as I held it up to Skara.

Madelene: Hey, Marble.

She turns to me with a hum and gasps as she sees the flower.

Skara: It's so pretty!

Madelene: You think it's pretty now? Watch this.

I smiled as I drew a spell circle above the flower, purple orbs of light snowing onto it. The petal's colors began to slowly shift from white to bright purple.

Madelene: Ta-dah!

Skara: Oh my Titan! How'd you do that?

Madelene: One never reveals their secrets.

Skara whined a bit causing me to chuckle a little.

Madelene: But, I guess I can make an exception for such a sweet girl.

I said as I placed the flower in her hair, her face reddened in delight as I giggled, this girl is too cute.

Skara: Awww, that's so sweet of you. Thank you, girl!

Madelene: Put simply, it all depends on what your intention with the spell is, in this case, it was to change the color of the flower from white to bright purple using the light spell.

Skara: I never knew you could do that with the basic light spell.

Madelene: I know right? And you can do so much more with it. Why don't you give what I showed you a try?

She nods and picks another white flower then draws a yellow spell circle above it.

Madelene: Now remember, it all depends on your intention with the spell.

She gave me another nod and concentrates, light burgundy and green orbs shortly snowed onto the flower and the petals slowly change from white to the same colors as my hair.

Madelene: That's it! Great job girl!

Skara: Well, you are a pretty great teacher.

She said as she placed the flower in my hair. I bashfully smiled.

Madelene: Aww, thanks, Marble. But don't sell yourself short, you picked that up really quick.

Skara: Thank you!

She smiled sweetly and we continued looking at the different covens. We stopped at the Bakers Coven smelling the frosted treats.

Madelene: These smell good.

Skara: Can we try some?

Coven Rep: Of course!

They offered us three cupcakes with a smile, a blue one, a pink one, and a green one. I picked the blue one and Skara picked the green one, we decided to have a little fun and dink our cupcakes before linking our arms as we take a bite of our respective sweet treats. We hummed a satisfied sigh as we chewed.

Skara: Mmm! These are really good!

Madelene: So good!

We finished our treats and unlinked our arms before reaching for the pink cupcake simultaneously.

Madelene: Oh, sorry. You take it, Marble.

Skara: No no, you take it, Madz.

Madelene: I insist you take it.

Skara: Please, you take it.

We kept going back n' forth on who should take it until the Coven representative sighed annoyed at our exchange.

Coven Rep: As fun as it is to watch you two demon love birds keep going at it, why don't you just share it.

We looked at them then at each other and laughed.

Madelene: Why didn't we think of that?

Skara: I have no idea.

We said between giggles, we calmed down and asked the Coven Rep to cut the sweet pink treat in half. They nodded and casts a spell that cut the cupcake down the middle, they handed the two halves two us and we thanked them.

Madelene/Skara: Cheers!

We dinked our halves then ate it and it was just as good as the first one we ate. The Coven Rep asked us if we wanted to join and we said that we'll think about it and continued our Coven sightseeing.

We stop in our tracks as we stumble upon Luz and Amity shaking hands through an orchid-colored spell circle along with King kneeling by a squashed cupcake.

Madelene: Uhhh, what's going on here?

Skara: Is that an everlasting oath!?

Hearing the alarm in Skara's voice, I surged towards the two. Looking at them frantically I asked.

Madelene: Luz! Amity! What's going on?

Amity waved her hands in dismissal.

Amity: It's none of your business Madz. We have a score to settle. Meet back inside the theatre in one hour. Let's see what kind of witch you really are.

Amity smirked as Luz audibly gulped fiddling her fingers as sweat formed on her face.

Luz: Uhhh... Yeah, a score to settle haha... me voy a morir... (I'm gonna die...)

Madelene: ¡Ay dios mío Luz!

I exclaimed annoyed and pulled her by the ear.

Luz: Ow ow ow ow!

Madelene: Give me a few minutes with her, Amity, mkay? Oh, and thanks for the good day Skara!

I gave them a smile as I dragged Luz away by the ear, ignoring her protest.

Luz: Ow, ow, ow, ow.

I let go of her ear as soon as we were out of earshot. I turn to Luz who's rubbing her ear as I cross my arms and lean on my left leg with a cocked thin lip.

Madelene: Explain.

I don't dawdle, knowing she swallowed her foot once more for such a short amount of time.

Luz explained to me that she challenged Amity to a witch's duel because she was being mean to King and squashed his cupcake. But she also wants to prove that humans can become witches. Okay, squashing King's cupcake is too far. And humans can't become witches? Oooh, Luz will prove her wrong.

But unto the other side, what's gotten into Amity? She's been a sweet girl when it comes to me. What happened in that short amount of time?

Madelene: Are you sure you didn't say something that irks her or...?

Luz: I didn't! I just... maybe she's still mad about the abomination thing with Willow?

Possible, I think. My god, teenagers. What's going on in their heads? I like both of them, but

Madelene: Just.... Just be careful, okay? Wait here I'm gonna go get Eda.

She nods and I go looking for the Owl Lady. I passed by Amity first who for some reason was still there.

Madelene: Uhm... Amity?

Amity: Yes?

That's a kilter right there. She doesn't look so closed off to me at the moment, unlike the time with Luz in her presence.

Madelene: About... Luz....

Seeing her face twitch, I almost flinched before she sighed once again, looking quite conflicted with herself.

Amity: Maddy, look... There are just things I want to prove on my own. And sometimes I may sound harsh and bratty and all but... but I need to do this. Will you let me? Without asking further?

I don't know why, but seeing her looking at me behind her eyelashes makes my heart melt. It's not something romantic. Nor is it pity. I just... felt so protective of her for no reason, wanting to know what she was doing and liking to hear what she was thinking.

In the end, I just gave her a smile and a soft pat on the head. I told her Luz will still be fighting in the duel, and she barely nods with a grateful smile before walking away.

I scoured the convention for Eda and I found her talking to the head of the Emperor's Coven catching the tail end of their conversation. Man, I am just always late to the party, huh?

Lilith: But while you run from the law like a degenerate. I'm mentoring the next generation of powerful witch students into the world.

Eda: Well, I have my own students, and I bet they can wipe the floor with any of your prissy little blue bloods.

Lilith got closer to Eda, smirking.

Lilith: Is that... a challenge?

Eda: Oh it's a promise.

Eda put her hand on her hip as she leaned getting in Lilith's face.

Madelene: Eda!

She perked up as she heard me call her name.

Eda: Speaking of my students, here's one of them now.

They both turn their attention to me as I stand next to Eda. She faces Lilith as she places her hand on my shoulder and gestures to me with her other hand.

Now I'm definitely confused.

Eda: Lilith, this is Madelene. One of my students.

Madelene: Stu- Wa-wait! E-Eda-!?

Luz: Edaaaaaa!!!!! I need your help!

Luz suddenly popped up beside me, cutting me off as I yelped in shock.

Luz: I accidentally challenged Amity to a witch's duel and I think she's going to kill me all the way dead!

Madelene: Luz I told you to wait for me!

I reprimanded her, pinching her left ear for a short moment.

Luz: Yikes! Ouch! I panicked so I followed you! Stop pulling my earrrr!!!

She kneeled on the floor clearly scared and panicked, nursing her lobe. I quickly wrapped my arms to comfort her. Luz just went with the flow and quickly hugged me back.

Lilith: Let me guess, this is your other student. It seems they have already met my strongest protege.

She crouched down to our level examining Luz's ears.

Lilith: And look at those ears.

Madelene: She has perfectly normal ears, thank you very much.

I quickly cover Luz's ears giving Lilith a glare but she is not perturbed at all and just continues.

Lilith: Is she human?

Madelene: Wow... great deduction skills...

The woman's eyes twitch for a moment, now looking at me with that piercing eyes.

Lilith: It seems like this one has quite a mouth on her.

Madelene: Be glad, only stupid people get to see this special talent.

Eda snorted at their back, patting my head with pride.

Eda: See how great my student is, Lily? Like teacher, like student. We see your bull from a mile away.

Lilith chuckles standing back up, my glare only intensifying on her.

Lilith: Okay...

She turned her back to us drawing a spell circle that burned all of Eda's wanted posters in the venue.

Lilith: For one day, you won't have to hide from the law. Because I want to see how good a teacher you really are. And Madelene was it? We'll see just how smug you are after my protege defeats you.

She began to walk away.

Madelene: Well I'm not the one walking away, am I?

I taunted after she took a few steps to drive the point home. Lilith stopped, almost wanting to turn around, but continued moving on.

Madelene: Welp... that's a point for me~.

I exclaimed smugly, puffing my chest out with pride.

Eda crouched beside us.

Eda: I like that spunk you got there, Madelene. Now come on you two, time to prepare for bloodshed.

Luz: But, w-whose blood?

Eda: Yours, of course.

Luz: Wait- WHAT!?

Eda: Just kidding! Anyone's guess, really!

She joked as she slapped Luz's back, making her lurch forward and nervously smile.

Luz: Me voy a morir... Me voy a morir... Me voy a morir... (I'm gonna die... I'm gonna die... I'm gonna die...)

Madelene: You will, if you stay that way. Come on, sis. UP!

We were around one of the corners of the venue, Luz was sitting on a box while I was on the floor with my legs crossed. Eda is facing away from us as she puts on a sweatband before facing us.

Eda: Alright, you two! Let's start your training.

She cracked her fingers. She then crouches on one leg as she holds her hands in front of us.

Eda: I'm coming at you with a blast of fire, what do you do?

Luz pulls her hoody over her head and flops onto my lap.

Madelene: Yeah... this isn't going to work. But Luz has a point tho.

Eda, realizing she only ever taught us one spell, stood up with a finger under her chin.

Eda: Oh that's right, I haven't taught you many spells huh?

Madelene: Just one... but it's pretty uh.... Useless in an aggressive battle.

I cast a light spell for emphasis, and I could feel Luz was shaking her head no. I didn't tell Eda what I did an hour ago, lest Luz felt like she'll totally be defeated in this battle.

Eda: Boy, I hope you didn't make an everlasting oath to stop learning magic or something. You'd be toast.

She joked with a light chuckle. Luz then sat up holding up her hand and wiggling her fingers.

Luz: Is there a glowy hand thing that happens or...

Madelene: She did.

Amity: Abomination, rise.

We hear Amity and turn to her, seeing her summon a small abomination as Lilith watches her. I tilt my head seeing Lilith with Amity, smiling as she tries her best. At least Lilith's good to Amity. I wonder where the protege is, though?

The abomination took its head off before throwing it at the baker's coven representative. Knocking them backward into the back of their booth, they slide to the floor only for the tiny conspiracy theorist to grab them by the hand and throw them across the venue, before letting out a powerful shout.

Eda: Ooh boy.

Madelene: Nice shot, girl~!

Luz: I can't believe I'm going to stop learning magic!

Madelene: No you're not, don't forget. I'll be with you during that duel. Besides, I need to prove to Lilith's face that I'm better than her protege~.

I said in a mocking voice with air quotes.

Amity: ... I thought you were better than them, you know.

Startled by the voice behind my back, I saw Amity with her little fists clenched at her sides.

Madelene: Amity! Didn't see you there! What's wrong?

Amity: Oh nothing. Just trying to gauge my opponent. But I didn't think you could be so cruel to mock me like that, Madelene.

Madelene: Wait, what? What do you mean?

She didn't respond, crossing her arms. I thought for a bit, looking at her and behind her. Lilith was staring at us, almost smug. Then, like a whiplash, I gasped as I finally connected the dots. I stammered, standing up and pointing at her.

Madelene: W-wait! Y-you're Lilith's protege!?

She didn't respond once again, just glaring hard before turning her back to me. My chest clenched, panic surfacing since I know I upset her.

Madelene: No, Amity! I didn't know! P-please I-!

Eda: Kid.

I stumbled back, looking at the older witch shaking her head in sympathy at my pitiful self. I looked back to Amity's receding figure with Lilith still holding that smug expression. I sighed, deciding to apologize later after the duel if I get the chance.

Madelene: Let's just get this over with.

We were now back in the theatre and the bleachers were packed. Lilith and Amity stood on the stage, and we stood on the other end opposite them. I timidly waved at her, which she ignored, still upset with how I unknowingly mocked her earlier. I put my hand down defeatedly with a sad frown.

Lilith: Beloved citizens! The Emperor's Coven proudly presents an impromptu demonstration of the sort of Witch we seek every year.

She nudged Amity forward.

Lilith: Introducing Amity Blight.

The crowd cheered for her. Wait, Blight!? Her last name is Blight!? That can't be a coincidence, can it?

Lilith: Versus... Some human girl and her companion.

Some human girl and her companion!? Okay, I'll deal with this whole Blight thing later. The crowd booed. I even heard someone in the crowd say "Humans can't do magic.". Oh, Luz will be proving all of them wrong.

Luz: Eda. Madelene. What am I going to do?

Luz grabbed my arms desperate for a plan. I gently grabbed her hands but Eda beat me in reassuring her.

Eda: Calm down. Madelene will keep you safe. But if you really want to be safe...

Madelene: No! We. Are not. Cheating.

I adamantly refused.

Madelene: If I will pull Luz all the way onto my back then I'll do it without complain. We're already two against one, isn't that a bit cruel?

Eda: Eh, suit yourself kid. Try not to be humiliated out there.

Madelene: We'll try our best.

The bell ringed/screamed, signaling the start of the duel. We walked to the center of the theatre as Amity cracked her knuckles, Luz nervously waved while I got in a stance. Amity drew an orchid-colored spell circle on the ground.

Amity: Abomination, rise!

She exclaimed as the spell circle flared and a giant abomination rose.

That thing is way bigger than the one earlier and I can see Amity was visibly surprised herself. I gulped, shaking off my fear. I can do this, for me and Luz. Don't worry me, it's just like football. But instead of a touchdown, I'll just need to do everything I can to take out the opponent. Which is... a frightening experience, but what can I do... right?

Amity: Why don't both of you show me what you got?

Amity exclaimed confidently. I sighed, casting a light spell earning laughs from everyone, except Luz and Eda who were nervous and confused respectively. I shake my fear. Just like I said earlier.

This is like a game.

This is a game.

Amity: Is that it? A light spell? I thought you said you were gonna show Lilith that you were better than me?

There's no option. I'm going to win this.

Madelene: For the record, I didn't think you'd be the protegé, Amity! I am better than you in that regard. Not because you're less but because you chose Lilith as your mentor!

I chucked the ball of light at the abomination and hoped it would work. The orb made contact with its arm and slowly froze it. It groaned, reeling back as everyone audibly gasped astonished at what had happened.

Madelene: What? Never seen a light spell used like that before?

I smugly said as I cast multiple orbs of different colors.

Eda: That's MY kid!!!

Skara: Go, Madelene!

I hear Skara cheer from the crowd making me chuckle. Amity visibly hesitated but resumed her actions.

Amity: Grrr! Abomination, crush!

Amity growled, the abomination following her command broke the ice and regrew its arm before lifting its foot to crush us.

Luz: Ahhh!

I quickly grabbed Luz before leaping out of the way, I quickly had Luz climb onto my back as the abomination twisted its head off before throwing it at us.

Madelene: Hold tight sis!

Luz tightened her hold on me, I dodged the head as I ran to the side of the abomination and tossed a red orb at its chest. It exploded on impact as the fire spread.

Amity: How are you doing that!?

Madelene: How did YOU make the giant Abomination? Trade secrets, Mittens!

Amity: Stop. Calling. Me. That!!

I flipped sideways as the abomination swiped its arm at us. Luz was still on my back, making me huff in exertion.

Madelene: Not done yet!

I jumped back, tossing a blue ball of light at its feet freezing it on the spot as it groaned. While the abomination was distracted I made my way to the other end of the theatre.

Amity: Is that human gonna do anything? And what's wrong? Finally, realized that you're not better than me?

My heart panged hearing that, I didn't mean to mock her. I didn't mean what I said. Maybe she didn't hear me the first time, but I pushed my thoughts back into my mind and focused on the duel wanting this to end.

Madelene: Can't wait, Mittens? Don't worry, I'll show you!

I drew a spell circle creating another ball of light to form, I grabbed it before pumping my arm extending the top and bottom of the orb creating a shallow arc. I pinched the top and pulled downward drawing a thin line of light connecting it to the bottom. Earning awes from the crowd.

Luz: When did you learn this?

Madelene: I'll explain later. Right now I need you to ready a light glyph and keep it hidden in your hands.

Luz: Why?

Madelene: I'll get us close to her, once we're right in front of her you'll blind her with it.

Luz: What!? No that's cheating!

Madelene: Cheating? Luz, it's just a different brand of spell. It's the only way we'll win and end this fast.

She thought for a second before hesitantly agreeing. I cast another light spell in front of my bow. I pinched the end and pulled forming an arrow before drawing it back taking aim at the abomination.

Madelene: Ready?

Luz responds with a weak "ready..." and I release the arrow. It flew straight into the abomination's chest. Amity and Lilith smiled smugly as nothing happened. I held up three fingers, they were confused at first until the abomination started to groan.

I made my move, I dashed towards Amity as I counted.

Madelene: 2...

Amity drew a spell circle in a panic.

Madelene: 1...

I was halfway there.

Madelene: Boom.

On cue, the abomination exploded making Amity flinch. We finally reached her, once she recovered from the explosion I looked away as Luz opened her hand revealing a ball of light blinding her.

Amity: AHHH!!

Once the light died down I faced forward as Amity turned away recoiling from the light, I saw her hair sway up a bit from her momentum revealing a sticker with an orange cracked fist.

Madelene: What the...

Amity recovered and was about to cast another spell only to stop when I yelled.

Madelene: STOP!

Amity: Huh?

Madelene: This duel is over!

I exclaimed dispelling my bow.

Amity: What? Giving up?

Madelene: No, because this duel is meaningless if our opponent is cheating.

The crowd gasps.

Amity: Ch-cheating!?

I turned her around as I reached my hand to her nape.

Amity: What are you-

She cut herself off as I ripped off the sticker and held it up for the crowd to see, earning shocked gasps from the audience. Eda took the sticker from my hand, examined it, and exclaimed.

Eda: A power glyph from the Construction Coven

The crowd gasped once again at the revelation.

Amity: I-I didn't know!

Luz approached Amity only for her to run out of the theatre. Luz called out to her as she gave chase while I stayed behind to know why Amity cheated.

Madelene: She's a hardworking girl, there's no way she would cheat just to prove your point. Hey! Listen to me!

I yelled, accusingly. Being ignored as the two older women went toe to toe annoying each other.

Eda started to cheer that Lilith cheated, Lilith defended that she only cheated because she knew that Eda would cheat.

Eda: But I didn't, while you did! So, welcome, down to my level!~

Eda continued to cheer, receiving a frustrated groan from Lilith. Now knowing the reason I left the two witches to their bickering as I exited the theatre to find Luz and Amity.

After a few minutes, I finally found Amity walking away. I followed, seeing her shoulders lower than they should be. Down to the sides, away from the gate, I wondered why she'd gone on a different path than the exit.

Then, for a few minutes, I understood. My throat burns with her, as she slumps down next to a huge root, hiding from view. I slowly walked closer, hearing the muffled cries as if her mouth were being covered by some cloth.

I couldn't take it anymore, so I strode in front of her, startling her a bit. Her eyes were bloodshot, and her mouth quivers. That something in my heart snapped. That familiar feeling of protectiveness was amplified tenfold by knowing she might be one of my relatives.

Might be of my blood or even my own sister.

Amity: Wha-?

I didn't let her get a word out. I just slump there, pulling her over me and putting her on my lap. She squirms as I close my arms around her, rocking her back and forth, not minding her protest until her voice turns into gut-wrenching sobs.

I closed my eyes as I gulped the pain in my throat. This is my fault, humiliating her like that in front of everyone.

Madelene: I'm sorry, Mittens. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to shout it out loud to everybody. It's not your fault. I just found out Lilith put a glyph on you, okay? It's not your fault. You're strong... so strong. I'm sorry I outed you that way...

Amity kept sobbing into my chest as she clutched my hoodie. I just held her, not caring that I was getting soaked, not caring about the dirt on my pants. I just wanted to comfort her, to take the humiliation I put there with my embrace.

Amity: I-I'm not a cheater... I'm not-!

Madelene: Shh.. I know, Mittens. I know...

It lasted for hours, with sobs turning into hiccups and hiccups turning into small breaths and a clogged nose deep in slumber. I looked at the slowly receding sun in the distance, letting my eyes tear just once.

It's confusing, having this reaction towards Amity from the start. But... as I inspected her sleeping pouty face on my shoulder, her hands balled under her chin like a self- assuring position, did I feel my heart, once more, give in.

Because it's not weird anymore, having this reaction towards her. Not if she's a Blight. Like me.

Madelene: Who are you to me?

I can't help but ask, slowly gracing her features. From her hair I discovered to be brunette at the roots, to the light green hair she dyed it with. To the supple cheeks she still has and to the soft and long eyelashes that frame her yellow eyes. To the narrowness of her shoulders, down to her little hands fisted with fingers covered in black polish.

She almost... looks a little like me, I realized. I stared in wonder the longer I observed her, trying... oh so gently, to take one fist on my hand, slowly adjusting her position, before I let the pad of my fingers push on her soft palm.

Amity's so soft... so tiny... so...

Familiar...... It feels like-...

Madelene: Whe's yah' 'ittens, baby 'ittens?

I hold myself upright, not wanting to take my hand away from my baby sister's hand. She stopped crying when I did, so I let myself tangle on the crib as she sucked her thumb, with me repeatedly squeezing her squishy hands.

Madelene: Mama and Papa are outs, Eddy and Emmy pwayed away. But Maddy here, 'kay? Maddy tack cawe 'ittens, kay?

Mama said she didn't understand me but that's okay. She communicates with her big yellow eyes. My little sister has very beautiful eyes. Her baby hands pull me down, crying. And so, I do what Papa said I'll not do, because this is what baby mittens want. I just be careful. I pull myself in the crib, chucking my shoes so I won't dirty little sissy.

Madelene: Sh.. .sh... sleep bahby Amy... Maddy here now, 'kay?

I lay down next to her as she tried to turn her head to me. I let her be, not letting go of her hand as I squeezed it, again and again. I buried my face on her soft baby hair, nuzzling her sweet scent while her other hand found her baby mouth.

Madelene: Sleep baby 'ittens. No no monster tack you 'way from me, okay?

I said, pulling her closer, letting her head nuzzle on my neck. I love her so much. I'll protect her. She's my baby sissy.

....- Home.

I jerked out of my thoughts with a gasp, feeling the hand on mine squeezing awake. The head on my neck is nuzzling on me.

Just like in that... memory.

I willed my tears not to fall.

I knew. I knew. Amity is special to me.

I just didn't know why. But now.... Now I did. My heart recognized her the moment we met.

Amity: Uh.. wha...

Almost like she was burned the moment she realized where she was, Amity jolted awake, backing up away from me until she recognized my silhouette in the dark.

Amity: Maddy? Why are you.... Oh no, did I fall asleep on you?

Madelene: Ye... Yeah. It's no big deal, really. Are you okay now?

I tried to act normal, but my voice just won't go back to normal. I steeled my arms as Amity stepped back a few feet, wanting to hold her again.

Amity: I... I'm okay now... Th-... thank you for holding me for hours... I've never... been held that long before....

Madelene: Hey, it's not a problem.

It really is not a problem. Knowing that she's that baby in my memories, all grown up and hurting, I just want to be there now, and it's maddening.

Amity: I... I think I need to go home. It's late and... my mother might be expecting me early so...

Madelene: I'll walk you home halfway.

I offered, already standing up. Amity shook her head, albeit confused.

Amity: No, I can just-

Madelene: I insist.

I said, determined to walk her closer to her home. Smiling, I hold her shoulders, looking at her in a different light. Recognizing those yellow baby eyes.

—---

It's been a long walk with me warring over my revelation towards Amity. I think she felt my weirdness, having been aloof and apprehensive ever since I tried, not once, but all the time- to look at her small hands.

Amity: I know they're tiny, but they did their job...

Madelene: It's perfect.

I argued at the end, waving goodbye at her on the opposite street until I made sure she was out of sight. With that, I tracked my way to the Owl House, my mind so full yet silent at the same time. I want to see Amity as soon as I'm able.

Returning to the Owl House I thought I would just rest and mull all over my own discovery. Eda and King, while on different levels of calm, are not someone I'd rather be with to create more shenanigans. And yet, as I almost closed the door to our room, I saw Luz sitting quietly at the window.

Now, it's not unusual to see her silent and thinking quite hard.

But the silent gleam in her eyes while she stared at her hands speaks differently.

I smiled. While I loved my new discovery of fondness towards Amity, Luz has been my little sister since I can remember.

Madelene: Penny for a thought, champ?

I asked, slinging an arm at her startled shoulder.

Luz: Maddy! I didn't see you there! Have you been here long?

Madelene: Just returned actually. But then I saw you doing emo things here. So... care to share something, sis?

Luz: No, I.. it's not that remarkable.

Luz blushed, scratching the top of her head. I blinked at her in surprise. That expression looks familiar but I don't know why.

Madelene: It should be, with you doing that googly eyes at your hands.

I urged, squeezing her to my side. She huffed, crossing her arms as she leaned toward me.

Luz: Alright, alright! Fine! It's just... with all these things today, it really just put me in a different perspective, with Amity and all. You might think with all those things with Amity I'll hate her.. But... she's... she's different, Maddy. And that's what's making me confused....

Huh, if I didn't know better I'd say Luz is crushing on Amity, hard. But that's impossible.... Or maybe not?

Madelene: Oh? Did something happen that I'm not aware of?

I want to know, wanting to see the strange connection between the sister of my memory and the sister I am raised with.

Luz: I reached her when she left the arena after... you know. We talked, and... and I realized how dedicated Amity was to everything she does. She's kinda mean... but, she's also considerate! And- and a little condescending, but she's kinda right! Did you know, she unbound our contract, just because I made her see that I can do magic too! Can you believe that, Maddy? I just made a light spell- just a light spell! And she believed me! Just like that!

Madelene: That's great, Luz. Maybe Amity just put up a facade that well... like a cactus, not wanting someone near.

I encourage her happiness, also taking joy as well that Amity is not just there to patronize me with kindness, but to extend that courtesy to someone worthy as well. I hope they get along in the future. I can't wait for them to interact on good terms. My little sisters.

Luz: Do you know what Amity reminds me of, Maddy? Like Hecate!

Madelene: She sure does, Luz. She sure does.

I slept well that night, my heart full of brimming hope. And a promise to find my roots.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.3K 629 20
Luz Noceda was a troublemaker for sure. The Hispanic girl always got into fights with people over stupid things. It didn't help that she was failing...
1.5K 50 22
Blights, one of the most esteemed and richest family's of witches in the boiling isles. They have three kids. Emira blight, Edric Blight, and the you...
5.4K 204 22
Have you ever come accorss a character that leaves you wondering how they got to this point in their life? Have they always been this way or was ther...
160K 4.7K 71
book 1 Luz Noceda gets into fights constantly in her home town. so her mother, Camila, sends her to live with a old friend of hers named Eda until he...