This Is All Just A Game [The...

By Devilduckii

My name is Elenie. I won the Game. No... The Game won me. Let the 56th Hunger Games begin. More

This Is All Just A Game [The Hunger Games] - Characters && Notes
o2 - Watching My Life Pass By
o3 - Aiming For The Heart & Truth
o4 - The Gaze Of An Angel
05 - Training My Hearts For This Ride
06 - Those Simple Burning Numbers
o7 - The Last Hello & Goodbye
o8 - Bloodshed In The Arena
09 - Reality From Dreams
1o - The Ice In My Veins
11 - Curiosity Killed The Cat After All
12 - The Escape No One Achieved
13 - Cries Fill The Darkness With Sorrow
14 - A Nightmare For A Loss
15 - I'm Not Saying Goodbye To You
16 - Burning For Revenge, Dying Within.
17 - Painless Melodies
Epilogue - These Are My Pieces
Interviews, Flashbacks & Unbelievable Pain

o1 - It Wasn't Supposed To Be This Way

3.1K 47 12
By Devilduckii

Lies.

That’s what I call everything around us.

I am one of the few who see it; see past the fragile bindings holding their ‘truth’ together.

But really, what is truth anymore?

I wanted a truth. Maybe just one... maybe nothing.

And that’s why I’m here today, living an impeccable lie that succumbs to nothing but pain.

My name is Elenie.

I won the Game.

The Game won me.

Chapter 1: It Wasn’t Supposed To Be This Way

This wasn’t supposed to happen.

Today started out fine, just like every other Reaping...

I had been combing one of the horses I had to breed for the Capitol’s horse races just this morning. Her name was Whisper, a beautiful brown mare who loved carrots.

“You’ll be ready for the races in no time,” I smiled to her, stroking the line of her jaw. “Every other horse will be jealous.” She whickered.

“Elenie!” I heard a voice calling to me. I looked up as Mum came striding through the stables, wearing boots way too big for her.

A petite woman with glossy blonde hair, a kind face, and brown eyes; no one would guess her for the kind to breed champion horses, which she had been doing since the Capitol had declared that District 11 was better suited for breeding race-horses... since we did have the notorious soil.

Since I was 4, she had taught me to breed race-horses, too. She came to Whisper’s stable, leaning against the post, fingers pressed inside the pockets of her jeans. She examined Whisper from there, while talking to me, “Elenie, the Reaping is in a few hours. You need to bathe and get all that straw out of your hair. We need to get you all pretty.”

I laughed, wiping my hands across my already-dirty shirt. “Gee, thanks, Mum. I just needed to comb Whisper before I went to get ready. She’s almost ready for the races.”

“I hope so,” my Mum said. “We don’t waste our time on unworthy horses. But, no, Whisper is far from unworthy. I think we have another winner in our hands.” She pursed her lips and then opened the gate for me to come out. “Come on, darl’. Let’s get this over with so we can concentrate on the oncoming race.”

Smiling to myself, I followed after her towards our small little house, locking the stable behind me and saying ‘good-bye’ to my favourite horse, not knowing that it might have been the last good-bye I ever give her.

....................................................................................................................................................................

I stood in front of the mirror, smoothing out my dress that mother had given me to dress myself in for the Reaping. It was a beautiful little plain baby pink thing that flowed to my knees, with straps that were tight against my shoulders.

I stared at the mirror unsurely, with a different type of girl that was myself staring back. Un-like my mother, I had wide forest-green eyes and brown locks that always curved around my face perfectly. I was taller then my Mum by plenty, standing at 5”9. Everything else was my mother’s, like the full lips, slight dust of freckles, small nose, strong bones, slim figure... all hers.

My long legs drew my attention; the hairs were still barely noticeable since I had never shaven, but now I felt really weird about strutting around with the hairs. Sure, I wore shorts all the time, showing off my legs, whenever I ran alongside the horses, keeping perfect pace with them sometimes, or riding on top of them... but, with this dress on, it didn’t feel right.

This wasn’t me.

So, with a sigh and a wish that Mum wouldn’t be mad, I changed out of the dress and into my best pair of blue jeans, green singlet and sneakers.

.....................................................................................................................................................................

I walked out of my room, which I shared with my 13 year old sister Jaydein, and into the kitchen.

Mum had her back to me, making some lunch for us.

Jaydein, the exact image of my mother, sat at the table, waiting. She looked up when I entered. She wore the same dress I had worn when I was her age – a frilly green dress which flowed to the knees. She smiled. “Hey, Elenie.”

“Hey, kid,” I smiled affectionately, sitting down beside her and patting her hair, which she scurried to dodge and make sure I hadn’t affected her fluffy style. “Excited about your first Reaping?” I mentally kicked myself after asking it. There was a chance she could be sentenced to death, even though she only entered her name twice, which was not something exciting.

She just shrugged. “I’m sad for all the people that have to go up.”

“Don’t worry, sweetie,” I sighed. “Just forget I even asked.”

“Asked what?” Mum asked, turning around and bringing over our lunch, which was plain bread with cheese on it. She past them down to us, not even bothering to get plates. She’s good like that. “Eat up.” As her gaze moved over my choice of clothes, she gave me a disapproving glare, which made me struggle to hide a smile.

“Nothing, Mum,” Jaydein said, digging into her lunch.

She sat down on the opposite side of the table, sighing in bliss when her bottom hit the chair. She eyed me as she ate her lunch, finally sighing after she had eaten half of it. “You’ve grown up so quick, Elenie.” She smiled slightly. “Just this Reaping and another... and then all I have to worry for is little Miss Jaydein.”

Jaydein scrunched up her nose in defiance. “I’m not little. I’m a big girl now. Plus, Mum, what are the odds? We only ever enter our name once each year. We’re perfectly fine.” She took a large bite into her sandwich. I mentally thanked her... I didn’t want to reply to Mum.

Mum’s gaze was on Jaydein, now. “I love you both so much.” She finishes her sandwich, standing. “Your Dad would have been proud.”

At her words, I froze, hands clenching around the sandwich, which almost fell apart under the pressure.

I hated to be reminded of my Dad. He died when I was 14. He had died because he worked with bulls... and bulls were dangerous. When they had lost control of the bulls, they trampled him.

It was the hardest thing I had ever had to go through; losing my father. I was closer to him then to the rest of my family members. No one had been able to comfort me, except for the horses. I have lost so many friends because of that accident... and I have yet to have time to actually go and join social life again... to continue being a teenager.

Swallowing back a cry of anguish, I pushed back my chair, dropping my half-eaten lunch. “C’mon. Let’s go.”

Mum nodded, taking in a deep breath. She knew she hurt me when she had said that, but she didn’t want to apologise.

Jaydein scooped my half-eaten sandwich into her hands, though she was finished her own, and stood as well, not even reaching the height of my shoulder.

While we walked out the door, I raised a questioning eyebrow at her about the remains of my food which she didn’t eat, though she left it in her hands. She shrugged. “For Kayleena.”

Kayleena was a homeless little girl that adored my sister for giving her small amounts of food. She shared it between herself and her brother. I felt a pang of sorrow for her. They’d both lost their parents when they were young but I couldn’t remember what for. Either way, they survived, and lived only on the remains of the things people who could actually afford food gave them.

Poor things.

I nodded at my sister and smiled slightly when she set it on the crate where they usually slept, though they were not there.

The smile quickly vanished as I saw the Peacekeepers patrolling the streets. Their numbers always advanced every Reaping. I did not approve of it.

..................................................................................................................................................................

I had to be separated from my little sister. She went to the 13 age group, while I went to the 17’s. I stood by myself, arms by my side, eyes set on the stage, as we were taught to do each time.

About  700 kids stood in this cramped square of District 11, waiting for the readings of the one boy and one girl that would be chosen to die, or possibly even win. All of them didn’t want it to be themselves that were chosen.

Anxious parents/under 12’s children/adults/peacekeepers stood around the outskirts of the square to watch.

My heart pounded, then slowed, when the Mayor came onto the stage, raising his arms for applause. Lots of us did, though some didn’t bother. “Hello, District 11. Mayor Quilbbry here. May I say that you all look wonderful today? But that isn’t why we’re here. Today we’re here to select 2 children from the ages of 12-18 to participate honourably for our District in the 56th Games’. A boy and a girl will be chosen. You guys’ know the drill, right? Well, before we continue further... let’s introduce our escort. Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time, I’d like you give a warm welcome to, Emberell Deen!”

He claps, moving aside as a vibrant and bouncy young woman struts onto the stage.

As per usual, we all clapped, though we were surprised.

What had happened to our old escort for District 11? What was her name again... Meeri Gray? Something like that, anyway.

“Hello, District 11!” she greeted into the microphone with that stupid Capitol accent, beaming when the cameras focused on her. This escort had fake dead straight long blonde hair, very pale skin which made her seem out-of-line here against all of us tanned people, and wide grey eyes. She wore a white dress that flowed to the ground elegantly. She looked like a model. The Capitol sent us a model for our new escort? Pathetic. “I’m Emberrel Deen, as your fantastic mayor has firmly introduced me as. I’ll be your new escort from now on. It is just lovely to be here! But, anyway, it’s time to bring up our winning competitors of the Games’!” she gestured her hand to the opposite side of the stage as 4 people, who I recognised from the Games’ always replayed on TV, strolled onto the stage and to their seats.

The 4 of them really looked like they didn’t want to be there. I would be like that, too. Winning the horrible Games’, killing people to survive, and then being famous for it? I think I would much rather die. No wonder why half of the people go psycho after the Games’.

Thank everything above that these survivors actually kept themselves occupied with breeding rare-breeds of animals, or plants, instead of going psycho like the rest of ‘em.

I felt utterly defenceless when I saw Maree, the only female winner of District 11 ever, sit in her chair, crossing her legs nervously. She’d won the Games’ 3 years ago, the latest addition to our winners. Yet, every single time she came out here, she was nervous. But the reason why my heart broke for her this one time was because her horse died lately and she was super sad about it.

“Anyway, time for the name to be called for the boy to honourably stand for this District...” a messenger boy came over, giving her a letter and standing aside. Emberrel opened the letter dramatically. “Ivan Ketche!”

There was a moment of shock, then the boys in the year 15’s section broke apart, revealing a boy I’ve only ever seen once back at school. He had scruffy sun-blonde hair, a lean figure, and, from what I could remember vaguely, brown eyes.

He stepped up to the stage to stand on Emberrel’s left, face full of sorrow as his eyes locked on someone on the outskirts of the square – probably his family. No one volunteered for him, as per usual.

Volunteer’s haven’t stepped up for anyone for 12 years.

Poor boy.

“And, now, time for the girls’ name to be called...” she was handed another letter by another person. She opened it just a tiny bit quicker then the other, breaking the Capitol seal with a slice of her thumb nail. She slid up the piece of paper... “Elenie Tilk!”

It takes just a few moments for me to realize that the name that had just been called was my own.

I heard someone gasp – Jaydein.

Licking my lips and steadying my suddenly swaying figure, I walked up the steps to stand on the right of Emberrel. I steadied my gaze on Ivan’s, as I raised my hand to shake his. His hand met mine, engulfing mine in a comforting squeeze though I felt far from comforted.

Because this boy, 2 years younger then me, that I’ve barely even noticed until this moment, I would have to kill him in the arena. Or he will kill me.

We turned to face the crowd, hands interlocked like we were friends, without a word.

“Here are your competitors for the 56th Hunger Games!” Emberrel yelled, clapping for us.

I realised at that moment... that I would become what I feared. And I wasn’t prepared for it.

I would become a killer to survive.

I started to hate myself for it.

.....................................................................................................................................................................

After the Peacekeepers led us of the stage, they dragged us into different rooms which were near the train station.

My room was a plain room with one wide window, 1 sofa, a radio, and a coffee table with a single Capitol magazine on it dating back to a few months ago.

In here, I finally collapsed onto the sofa, burying my face in my hands, my legs unable to hold me up no longer.

But no tears fell down my cheeks. I felt empty.

And then the door opened and 2 sets of feet entered quietly.

I heard a sob, then arms were around me, and a wet patch began to seep into my jacket on my shoulder.

“It’s okay,” I whispered, turning and hugging the small person. My sister. She just sobbed louder, digging her fingers into me. I flinched. I looked up to see my mother standing at the doorway, arms wrapped around herself, tears pooling up in her eyes. I rushed towards her, completely forgetting about Jaydein. She collapsed into my arms, head going to my shoulder and into the wet spot, dampening it again. She started sobbing so hard that I felt like my heart was about to shatter. “Hey, Mum, I love you. Okay? And I’m sorry. I guess the odds hated me today. But I’m going to try my best to survive. You hear me? I’m going to survive. Please... please, oh, please, Mum... continue training Whisper. I love you.”

No matter what I said, they both just kept crying.

Finally, there was a knock on the door and it opened enough for Emberrel’s head to peek through. “5 more minutes and then we’re off. We’re on a tight schedule.” She slid back out.

“I don’t want you to leave,” Jaydein cried out from behind me.

“I know, I know. But this is my fate. Remember what Grandma used to say? ‘Your fate will never be changed by the flick of your hand. You must respect its ways and it will respect you’.” I smiled sadly, restraining myself from sobbing and giving up on life right there.

“There’s not much time left,” my mother whispered, wiping her eyes as she pulled away from me. “I must give you your token.”

“Token?” I asked, confused.

“A gift you are allowed to wear into the arena,” she explained, then started crying her eyes out again, but continued fumbling around for whatever she was trying to find.

“Really, Mum, I don’t think I need a token—“

“No,” she said sternly. “I’m giving this to you whether you like it or not.” She sniffed, pulling out a cotton string woven with other cotton strings perfectly from her pocket. Horse hairs, along with other animal hairs, were woven in there. And hanging off the middle was a tiny golden horse shoe. She admired it, then tied it around my wrist. “Your father gave it to me on our first date. He knew I loved horses.” She laughed sadly as I felt a pang of pain in my chest. “Funny story, really... he had to go—“

Someone opened the door without even knocking. A Peacekeeper. “Time to go.” He reached out to grab for my wrist.

“No!” Jaydein grabbed onto me, spreading more tears onto my jacket.

“Jaydein, let go,” I ordered. Mum managed her tears, pulling my sister off of me and watching me get taken out of the room, mouthing ‘I love you’. “Love you, too, Mum, Jaydein. Mum, tell me the rest of the story when I come home.” The door closed just before I finished saying ‘home’.

As 3 Peacekeepers led me out of the building and towards the railway, I remembered how I had said ‘when I come home’. Truth was, I didn’t know if I was coming home again.

At that thought, my finger slid towards my wrist, my finger curling around the woven bracelet my Dad had made for my Mum.

And a single tear, the first I had shed since my father’s funeral, fell down my cheek.

--------------------------------------------------------

*sigh* I couldn't keep you hanging. Hope you liked the first chapter! <3 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 153 31
when you're young and in love, everybody's gonna try to talk you out of it.
303K 16.1K 101
"i just want to help her, but i don't think she wants to be helped." ashtoniwrins ©
257K 6.2K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
92K 1.6K 18
Scarlet McCall is one of the only humans left in her circle of friends. She and Scott are twins, so she's been by his side since the first day he was...