Not Giving Into Fate

By a-girl-who-wishes

I was the daughter of Duke Solon, I thought I was the last child. My elder brother is following in my father'... More

1. Necklace of Rope and Needles
2. Morning Plans
3- Awkward Talks
4- Missing Mage
5- An Unlikely Friend
6- A Lady in the Park
8- Meeting with the Masters
9- Book Club Initiation
10- The Trash Man Makes a Visit
11- The Memory Orb
12- Long Meetings
13- Dinner and Trial Plans
14. Day of the trial, part 1
15- Day of the Trial, part 2
16- Execution
17- Family Dinners
18- The Morning After
19- The Hunting Tournament
20-Hunting Tournament 2
21- The Grand Sorcerer
22- Rides with the Grand Sorcerer
23- A Surprising Sibling Brunch
24- The Substitute
25- The Opening of Doors
26- Tour of the Tower
27- The break- in
28- Night at the Opera
29- The First Day of Classes
30- Breaking His Curse
31- The Pope and his teas
32- The Bulnan Chief
33- My Coming of Age
34- The Bastard's Reveal

7- Family acting like a family

988 27 1
By a-girl-who-wishes

I hold my hands as we enter the gates of my mansion. I'm incredibly late to the family dinner that is rarer than snow in summer. Father did say not to be late and I am very much so. I look out at the night sky as I touch my neck, no longer bleeding but incredibly sore. I was just given a fresh handkerchief by the officers, hopefully I don't scar.

The carriage stops and I hold my breath. From outside, I can hear Maddox call for the family doctor. I smirk as he tries to save face by instructing a servant to get my maids here to help me to my room.

By the time he opens my door, there's a big commotion. Servants peer through the windows and the brave ones stand on the steps. Maddox helps me off the carriage and I play the injured role. I want him out of my life.

"Lady Solon!" My maid Anna shrieks from the top of the stairs. She starts running to me. I hold onto Maddox, forcing myself to trip. He holds me tightly, face shaken with fear of another bruise on my skin.

By the time Anna reaches me, I'm at the bottom of the stairs. Maddox just picks me up, no doubt just wanting to get away from the whispers and the curious eyes. I see some people run away but their mouths run faster.

He walks me through the foyer and into the greeting room where guests should be met. We don't have guests and it's the closest room to the front door. He sets me on the couch and I feign exhaustion. Anna runs around me, asking me questions a mile a minute, grabbing pillows and sitting me up and fretting over my health. I smile and weakly tell her I'm okay.

"What happened?" My father yells, voice booming the room as he slams the doors open. I sit up straighter and look over the couch, making sure my head and neck are in full view. I see my father and brother walk in.

"Giselle?" Elric gasps. He quickly walks to me, standing by my side. He grabs my cheek and carefully looks over me, staring at every bandage and blister that is peeking out. He turns to Sir Maddox. "You, what happened to her?"

"She-"

"Brother," I groan. I touched my throat to act more injured. He lets go of me and I sit back into the cushion.

"Giselle," my father shushes me. He takes the couch in front of me and leans forward so he can clearly see me. "What happened?"

I take a deep breath. "After my meetings, I went to the Capital for some food. I sent Sir Maddox to reserve a table when I saw my friend Lady Horla. I joined her for a walk in the park and we got lost and ended in the Underbend."

"The Underbend? Where were you? Did you bother looking for my sister?" Elric raises his voice at Maddox.

"I spent the entire time looking for Lady Solon, Captain." Sir Maddox manages to defend himself, but his voice shakes.

"Continue on how you got those cuts." My father instructs. At this time, Anna hands me water and I drink it.

"We were lost and we were stalked. The stalker lured us into a dead end. He hit me with a dart that was either poisonous or magical, the Imperial army is currently looking into it. I made a barrier but without my tools and my mana being poisoned... it broke." I look down in shame. How can a Master Mage be so weak?

"I'm surprised you managed to make a barrier." Elric nods. "In danger, many fail to act rationally."

I look up and smile at him, glad he doesn't see me as weak. I clear my throat before continuing. "I protected Lady Horla and he kept attacking me with a magical weapon which ultimately broke the barrier. He grabbed me. He- he cut me and said he loved killing ladies like us... like me. He loved to hear me scream and kept-" I force out a sob, which wasn't hard because I forced tears at the middle of my small speech. 

"How did you escape?" My father asks.

I shake my head. "A knight came to our rescue. He heard our screams and arrested him, tied him and handed him over to the police. They think he's the serial killer that's been running around. There will be a trial but since he attacked noble ladies..."

"And where were you? My sister almost died by the hands of that serial killer!" Elric yells.

Maddox shamefully looks down. "I didn't search the Underbend." He whispers.

Elric gets frustrated and kicks the table so it flies away from us and crashes into the wall I flinch at the noise. I try to keep the scared animal act, my father is paying close attention to everything.

"You're fired. Get out of my face." Elric yells and I can feel my own throat go hoarse with his force. Sir Maddox runs away. A chuckle wants to get out of me, but I stuff it down.

"Brother, I... I- I..."

"We'll find you a loyal guard who won't leave your side." Father assures me. "Who was the knight that saved you? Maybe we can buy him as a thanks and keep him as a guard."

I shake my head. "He was a Northern Knight."

Elric scoffs. "No, we're aren't buying him. I will appoint a guard I trust for you by tomorrow morning. Please rest."

I nod, truthfully tired and wanting rest. I look to father who nods. I curtsy and Anna helps me stand up. I watch Elric step closer to me, wordlessly picking me up, princess style.

I look to him, surprised by this action. "Father, I'll find Giselle a guard. We'll have to reschedule dinner some other time."

I look over Elric's shoulder and see my father nod. I hold onto him, very confused about this act of caring. I don't say anything, just silent as he navigates our mansion. Anna follows behind, like me silent and confused. Another follower walks next to Anna, Elric's best friend and assistant- Sebastian.

We all come to my room and I'm placed in my bed. I sent Anna to get me my dinner that I missed, hunger finally returning to me. Elric talks to Sebastian in the corner of my room, but I can hear Elric send Sebastian to the Capital to follow up with the investigation. Soon, it's just Elric and I alone.

"Brother," I break the silence, keeping my eyes low like a wounded animal. Elric walks over to me, grabbing the chair from my vanity to sit in front of me. "Will... will I have to attend the trial of the man who tried to kill me?"

I lift my gaze and make eye contact with him. Green eyes against green, our features so similar but different. Elric sighs, we both know the answer. To send him to hang, I will have to testify. But, I don't want to go alone. I can't stand in that courtroom anymore and I don't have the strength to go there ever again. I can't be interrogated again, it'll remind me of the last days before my death.

"Yes you will have to." Elric reaches forward and pats my hand. "If it will ease your conscious, I can join you."

I look at him, lips quivering. He has the same gaze from when I was about to walk to my death, the same guilt and determination when he tried to fight for my life one last time. Back then and even now, he's willing to help me. How did I miss it for so many years?

I smile at him. In my last year, I've come to terms I haven't allowed myself to emote in front of others. As a child, I was criticized for crying or getting upset so I hid it all in. Elric must've felt the same way. I can see he's trying in his own way.

I reach forward and hold his hand as he stands to leave. "Thank you for offering. It would mean a lot to have you by my side, brother." I give him a genuine smile. "Brother, I know we have each been busy all our lives with our studies and work but... after hearing the vision I've come to realize that family is not just a word. I want to save this family, not for the honor of our name, but for you and father. I would like us to get to know each other, I think it's time to become proper siblings."

Elric looks down at me in shock, but he nods his head. "Yes, it will be nice to get to properly know a Master Mage. Why you would want to be one is still a mystery to me when we have the Temple..."

I chuckle at his words. At this, a knock on the door interrupts us and we let go of each other. I call for the person to enter and I see it's the doctor. He comes and stakes out his ointments and medicines.

"No," I shake my head. "I need these cuts. I need them as proof for when I visit the Magic Tower. Do not heal me." I warn the doctor.

"What?" Elric screeches. "They'll scar? They look painful. Ignore her and treat her!"

"Brother," I glare at him. "This weapon came from the Magic Tower. Master Pamen of Battle Magic is a bad man. We've been wanting to kick him out. This is the perfect chance. Doctor, thank you for coming but leave."

Elric stands in the corner of the room. Anna returns with my dinner. The doctor looks to Elric, but Elric nods. The doctor sighs and he tells me to not do any strenuous activity and to rest. I'm allowed to still work since it's mostly paperwork, but he warns me to keep my stress low.

I nod. I'm a hard worker but I don't really get stressed. Ancient magic is difficult to comprehend, but in reality there isn't much expected of me. I get a few big projects that take me a couple of months to complete. I promise to not work so hard and the doctor says he will return in four days to check on my healing process.

Anna now gives me my food, fretting with the pillows that support my back. I smile as she speaks of her concerns and worries, urging me to eat.

Elric bows and walks out of my room. I eat my food and answer all of Anna's questions about earlier the day. I tell her about the Elven flowers and how they are pretty accurate and she should go and to make sure to be safe. I made that lame joke, but I just got a lecture from her.

When I finish eating, I ask for a book. She gives me what I ask for and I tell her I will be sleeping early tonight. I've arrived late in the day, so everyone should be retiring soon. I get off of my bed, no longer needing to pretend I was wounded.

I'm Giselle Solon, I've faced harsher and never stumbled. But, playing a pathetic dog is how men like women and I'll just have to keep playing the people around me.

I walk to my balcony and open my doors. I can see the sun has already set and the guards are rotating for their next shift. I lean against the rail and I can see a familiar guard- Maddox. He was talking to two other guards, he was the only one out of uniform. The two guards leave him and he starts to take the path to the front of the house to leave.

I watch him stop and he looks up at me. I can see he's shocked to see me. I smile and wave him goodbye. His face goes red with anger, but he just storms away. I smirk and watch the spy walk away from my house. One danger gone, and I have to keep preparing. I turn my view from the path and where the garden sits. The garden is in full bloom and after that is a small grassy area before the woods surround us.

I walk back to my room, exhaustion is not with me and there's much to do. I need to figure out what to do about my sneaky friend and the cursed client. I don't recall someone from the Northern Knights getting cursed my first life. This is definitely new.

I grab a robe and cover myself. I open my bedroom door and see a guard. He was lazily leaning against the wall but quickly perks up. I frown, not used to someone there.

"I'm going to my study. Fetch someone to bring me coffee... a coffee pot and some cream and sugar." The guard bows and goes left while I walk right.

I make my way to my study in easy time. I unlock my door and leave it open for a maid to enter. I grab a match and light all the candles and open my curtain for the moonlight to enter. I sit on my chair as I inspect old reports. I'm sure there must be a clue that something abnormal happened around this time.

A time traveler, a runaway Grand Sorcerer and a cursed soldier experience the unspeakable... sounds like the beginning of a bad joke.

"Master Solon," I look up from my papers to see a maid entering. I point to the table next to me where food is allowed to be and she walks in. I don't recognize her, so she must work the night shift. I thank her and tell her to leave quickly which she does.

I spend a few hours looking over reports of this year and the year before all while drinking coffee. Unfortunately, I find no hint of this abnormal phenomena. I look over to my overflowing bookcase. There has to be something. Milo would know more, but this could be Ancient Magic.

I quickly write a list of the things I know that occurred four days ago. I traveled in time, Milo received a prophecy of sorts, a person was cursed. Maybe instead of looking for one thing that encompasses all, I need to look at each thing individually and see if there's a similarity.

I have already gone through the books and scrolls of time travel, a pile already on my desk. Now... I stand and walk to the bookcase with a candle in my head. I have a wall- to- wall bookcase with a moving ladder. I push the ladder down a bit to where old prophetic books rest. I pull out any books I find important and toss them to the couch. I then step down and move the ladder further down to the bad curses.

Once I have everything, I grab my big stack of books and sit down on my desk. I make three different piles, one for each phenomena. I don't bother looking at time traveling, I've exhausted the pages. It's better for me to read those last. I pick up a book about the history of prophecies and start to read.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

543 40 25
**18plus**dark-romance** Fearia is a strong willed girl who was trained to be a special ops agents by her adopted family. She is completely unaware t...
603K 25.3K 99
Honestly, I don't give a rat's ass about anything from the storyline. Those fucking capture targets are so damn stupid, falling for an idiotic birdbr...
23.6K 971 26
Inure: (v.) To accustom to accept something undesirable, evil, or painful. An other worldly girl is reincarnated as Queen Estella de Royalis, the vil...
47.8K 1.6K 49
She lead a rather tragic life. The black sheep of her family due to her lack of affinity for fire. Her affinity was quite the opposite. Water in fac...