CASTAWAY ⚓ R.C, J.M

By imaginesinwonderland

OBX {based off the tv series Outer Banks~ season 1. This story does begin before the events of the first sea... More

Cast + Synopsis
~ Banners ~
⚓ P A R T O N E ⚓
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y O N E
T W E N T Y T W O
T W E N T Y T H R E E
T W E N T Y F O U R
T W E N T Y F I V E
🌊P A R T T W O🌊
THE PRELUDE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
SIX
S E V E N
E I G H T
NINE
T E N
E L E V E N🩸
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y O N E
T W E N T Y T W O
T W E N T Y T H R E E
T W E N T Y F O U R
T W E N T Y F I V E
S1 F I N A L E
P A R T T H R E E
O N E
T W O
T H R E E

FIVE

930 27 6
By imaginesinwonderland

Renfield.

The name cracked through her mind like the scariest of thunder. It howled in her head like the strongest gale force winds.

It was just a name. Somebody's name. A man's name. A man with dark, troubled eyes. Yet it brought Harley the same trepidation that erupted when a storm rode in.

Renfield.

The name had come to her when she had been hiding in the waters of the marsh not just thirty minutes ago where the group had almost been killed.

Two men in the marsh had given chase to the Pogues and shot at them as if they were wild deer. The ordeal had been an adrenaline rush, but mostly frightening. One bullet in the wrong place and any of them could have been in hospital right now. The most spine chilling realisation was that Harley had recognised one of those men. He had been one of her kidnappers last summer. Her blood had frozen when a memory of her seeing the same man months ago at the garage resurfaced.

Harley had been a little late to the garage, because she had been at the beach with Kiara. When she had arrived and turned to Billie's office ready to apologise, he had been there towering over one side of the desk. The two adults had hushed immediately, long pauses following and a hasty goodbye. She had paid the interaction no mind, nor the way they had cut their conversation so abruptly. He had brushed by her and sent her an odd look and a wink. She had been flustered and trying to focus on the steps in her head, but when she realised who the man was her mind had gone into a blank panic. Her hasty movements stopped and her eyes were stuck on his retreating figure.

The same questions that plagued her then, returned with vengeance. Did he live on the island? Would he be coming for her again?

Harley contemplated going to Peterkin this time. She trusted Peterkin, but she'd have to tell the Sheriff where she had been and where she'd seen the man. In the marsh, the one place she nor John B should have been. The Sheriff would call DCS for sure. Harley could not deal with any more stresses. Hospitals, cops, DCS, a missing dad, money worries and now flashbacks running havoc again.

"Are you alright?"

Harley realised she had wrapped her arms tightly around herself whilst she spaced out. She unwound her tense arms and faced Pope.

"Not particularly." She sighed and tried to ease her mind though felt her lips purse and fall into a frown.

Pope nodded. He understood and was happy Harley had been honest. Everybody could read her like a book, but it had taken the events of last summer and a few more months for the brunette to stop clamming things up.

The sensible boy smiled softly as he recounted his childhood anecdote, "When I was younger, whenever I frowned too deeply my dad would tell me to stop before the wind stuck my face like that."

"We're not outside Pope." Her sharp tone made her wince. Pope hadn't done anything to her and here she was being a bitch. Her eyes rolled at her own behaviour as she huffed. She melted her expression and regarded Pope with an apologetic smile. "That was rude... I apologise."

"I think you're allowed to be frustrated. We did just almost die for a pocket compass. So much for JJ's sea of treasures."

It had been no shock that Pope and Kiara were against going into the marsh, they were the voices of reason. Harley siding with the pair had been the real shocker. Normally, Harley leapt at the chance to do anything. Anything and everything excited her. Despite her bubbling energy, she had been more wary lately. The threat of foster care loomed over her like a bad omen. 

"Yeah. So much for that. I guess Scooter was the worst square grouper going. Whatever that means, I still don't get it."

Pope chuckled and skipped into one of his handy explanations. "Actually, square grouper is what you call bales or bundles of marijuana that got tossed off boats to be collected."

"That makes more sense than what I was thinking." Harley let out a small smile. "Thank God you're in my life. I'd be waiting for weeks for JJ to explain that if you weren't here."

Both their eyes laned on the blonde boy who was swinging around the compass like it was a yoyo. John B had decided he didn't want to be near the compass at the moment, he didn't want to see it or look at it. He'd given a lame excuse that they could all see through. Harley knew the reason was because it made him think of their dad and it was upsetting. 

"JJ, stop swinging it around. Put it away somewhere," Kiara hissed at him smacking his knee. 

Harley reached for her empty glass on the coffee table. "Do you want a drink," she asked Pope.

He declined, so she nodded and walked into the kitchen. Her eyes found John B's still form as she placed her glass in the sink. John B had been leant against the counter for a while now, his eyes settled intently on the mint green cupboard doors. 

"JB?" Harley nudged his arm to get his attention. She stepped back to give him room to shift back into the moment.

His eyes flickered to her. "Are you talking to me again?"

His tone didn't hold sarcasm or malice, that didn't stop Harley's frown from returning. She had the right to be annoyed with him.

John B had let JJ get in his head and somehow let JJ convince him that he, JJ and Harley had nothing to lose. He had been roped into stealing diving gear from Ward Cameron and disobeying Peterkin by going into the marsh. It was the same reoccurring joke that wrote itself between the trio, the comedian being JJ. The blonde had promised her hours ago that DCS wouldn't take her and John B away, yet he encouraged John B to risk it all and like an idiot John B did. 

"You shouldn't have stolen those air tanks from Ward. He's your boss who has been extremely nice to us since he heard our dad went missing. What if he finds out?" Harley folded her arms. "And we shouldn't have been in the marsh. You said Peterkin came here interrogating you and warned you away from the marsh and you know that she pulled me and JJ over to give the same warning. What if she finds out we were out there today?"

It could take something as small as those two men going to the sheriff to tell her they spotted a bunch of kids out in the marsh. She'd know immediately because Shoupe and some other cop had seen the others. 

Harley had to get in the water and hide by the side of the boat to avoid getting seen. JJ had held her hand for as long as he could before Shoupe climbing aboard meant he had to move away from sitting by the edge. At that point Harley had to sink beneath the surface and that was a whole other thing. That's when her memories started playing tricks on her and the name Renfield struck a chord. Then if John B hadn't swam to her and given her air she probably would have had to swim to the surface and reveal her presence.

"Harls, have some faith in me. Ward won't find out. I'll get the gear back first thing tomorrow, before he can realise it's gone." John B placed his hands on Harley's shoulders and squeezed gently. "Don't worry about Peterkin. Nobody knows me and you were out there. It's not like there's cameras out there or anybody watching. The big man upstairs, maybe, but that's it. He's not exactly going to snitch, is he?"

Harley rolled her eyes at his stupid joke and had to tilt her head down so he couldn't see her smile.

He chuckled and pulled her into him.

Harley didn't want to be mad at John B, she loved John B too much to cause any rifts between them. 

"Ha. I got you laughing."

"Yeah, because you're an idiot," she laughed and shoved him away, rolling her eyes at his stupid grin.

Like any other annoying older brother, John B caught Harley in his hold and ruffled her dark tresses. His teasing laughter urged her to retaliate, though as usual she didn't have the strength. Eventually, he let her shimmy out of his hold, her giggles subsiding so she could smack his arm.

"Sounds like you love me."

Harley's glowing eyes showed the amusement laced in her snicker.

"You already know that, silly." Harley's nimble fingers couldn't untangle the mess John B had made of her freshly washed hair, so she headed for the bathroom.

A light smile brightened her features as she brushed through her hair in front of the mirror.

It made Harley feel better that her interactions with John B could make the both of them happier despite the mess settling around them. As long as they stuck together everything would be alright.

She needed to tell him what she realised about the mystery man that had chased them earlier. The question was when. Finding their dad's compass on Scooter's boat had thrown John B and intrigued Harley. She had no clue they were friends, let alone who Scooter was. The fact reminded her that a year wasn't that long in the grand scheme of things. One year out of sixteen was miniscule. It made her wonder whether she had the right to even call John Routledge her father. Surely she did. He made her feel like she was in fact his daughter and he had taken care of her as best he could before he disappeared.

Sometimes she liked to imagine how life would have looked if John hadn't gone missing. She pictured an Outer Banks with a brighter shade of yellow coddling the island in a warm grasp. Everyone would have felt yellow, the only overcast shadow being the rivalry of Kooks and Pogues. 

"Daydreaming again?"

Hazel eyes focused back on the reflections in the mirror, meeting cautious yet playful, blue eyes. Harley stopped brushing through her hair but didn't turn to face JJ who stood two steps behind. A blush shyly crept over her skin, her lips gently tugged down. 

JJ noticed immediately and opted for his charm defensive. 

"You're cute when you're mad," he muttered. 

"I hope you still think that when I drive your motorbike into a lake," Harley retorted. 

She couldn't stand how calm JJ could be about John B putting his life on the line in more ways than one for some unknown that he had played up to the group. 

"You'd have to get her started to do that." JJ tilted his head expecting Harley to giggle or something, so when he saw her stone expression he sighed and dragged a hand down his face. "I know you're upset with me.

"Wrong. I'm mad at you."

JJ winced edging closer. "Alright. Okay. I know you're mad at me, but..."

Harley cut JJ off as soon as his hands found her hips. "Hand placement," she quipped, her tone soft yet clear in her desire for him to move his hands.

Taken aback by Harley's demeanour, JJ moved his hands to her upper arms. Her glare shut him down immediately and had him retracting all contact. Still wanting to be close, he rested his hands on the edge of the sink. His rings clanking against the white porcelain as he caged Harley in without touching her. 

She didn't say anything or alter her stare through the mirror.

It had been close to a year since JJ had been on the receiving end of Harley's ire. He had forgotten how hot and adorably scary she could be. He wouldn't say any of that right now, because he knew it took a lot to push her to this attitude where she wasn't gleeful or gushing over something. It was like having a puppy be mad at you for the first time, he had no choice but to feel bad. 

"Okay. You're mad at me. I get that."

"Do you get it though?" Harley placed her hairbrush down and really looked at JJ. She wanted him to understand his error and fully comprehend how his actions made her feel. 

"Yeah."

"Why am I mad at you?"

Harley watched JJ's eyes flicker away from her own in their reflection. He leaned more of his weight onto the sink making the veins in his arms peek through. His soft lips parted whilst his eyes squinted in thought. 

Harley went lax in annoyance, her body bumping back into his.  "JJ," she whined. 

He grumbled in response, instinctively pressing closer to Harley. He dropped his chin on top of her head and met her eyes again.

Just like that her attitude of not letting JJ touch her ebbed away. She liked when he found reasons to make physical contact with her. It awakened the butterflies in her stomach and made her heart hum a happy tune. It contradicted the line she had verbally drawn between the two. Harley and JJ were nothing and still they were something. 

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, for dragging you and John B out into the marsh. Just don't be mad at me anymore."

Harley watched the troublesome blonde practically pout at her. She didn't want to forgive JJ, especially when he hadn't apologised in the way she would have liked, but this was JJ. Not only was it a hard task to fight JJ because she had a soft spot for the chaotic goofball, but once JJ got something in his head he'd fight to the death for his idea. 

"Come on, Harley. It's annoying and boring when you won't talk to me. I smacked you with that compass twice earlier and you wouldn't even glance over at me," JJ complained. He quickly resorted to piling his weight onto her with pleading eyes in hopes it would drag down her resilience. 

JJ was in luck. 

"Ok. Ok stop squishing me."

"You forgive me?"

"Yeah. Yes." 

JJ's eyes lit up like glowing pools, a huge grin spread across his face. He enveloped Harley in a hug from behind. "I knew you couldn't stay mad at me forever."

"Yeah, whatever." Harley played down the way her insides turned all gooey from the way JJ held her. It was so different to Rafe and tens time better. She couldn't explain it.

JJ had held her in a similar manner back in the marsh. Bullets had whizzed passed their heads scaring the teens into low stances. JJ had wrapped his arms around Harley and brought her low to the floor of the boat. She had been in too much shock to comprehend the way he had grabbed for her or the way she had clung onto him. 

"Harley?"

"Yeah?" Her head snapped up. 

"You've been drifting off a lot lately..."

Harley's brows raised. "I have?" She hadn't noticed. The group always said she seemed to daydream a lot and she knew she did too. 

"Is something bothering you?"

"No." Harley turned her back on the mirror and leant against the sink, since JJ still had her closed in. Her eyes found his neck and the black chain holding on to a shark tooth. 

JJ's laughter filled her ears. "Must I remind you for the hundredth time that you're an awful liar? What's bothering you, Lee?"

Did she dare tell JJ? She had to tell somebody. JJ's advice wasn't always mediocre, he had helped her out a few times. What she knew immediately, is that he wouldn't have any urge to go to the cops. He hated the cops and after seeing Shoupe and his colleague steal money from a that hotel room he had more reason to not trust them. 

"Um... remember last summer when I almost got kidnapped?"

JJ nodded to encourage Harley to keep going. 

"Remember I told you I recognised a man at the garage as one of the men? Well, today in the marsh... those men chasing us. I recognised one of them. The bigger guy. The one driving the boat. He's the same man I saw at the garage, the same man that helped try to kidnap me."

Harley rubbed at her neck as she tried to explain clearly. She rubbed even harder in anticipation of what JJ would say. It was clearly taking him a minute to let her words sink in. His eyes grew wider each passing second before his face fell into a scowl. "Are you sure? How can you tell?"

"I'm sure." Harley affirmed. "Same physique, same hair colour and facial hair."

"Have you told John B?"

Harley shook her head. "He's been more sad lately about our dad going missing. Now we've found John's compass on that wreckage. He's got a lot on his mind, I don't want to add to it."

She could tell JJ didn't like her response. "You have to tell him. Those dudes are definitely gonna come back for us, they probably think we know something about whatever or why they were out there. Or maybe that guy recognised you. We have to tell John B before anything else happens. If you're worried about his mindset, let's tell him tomorrow. But we can't pretend like this guy doesn't exist anymore."

Harley wanted to protest and wait a little longer, but time was a luxury they didn't have a full grasp on. "Okay, but I have another half shift tomorrow morning."

"We'll work something out."

"Okay." Harley tried to stop rubbing her skin raw, but then more realisations began to dawn on her.

"Wait. He knows where I work. What if he did recognise me on the boat and he's there tomorrow? They have guns."

JJ shrugged with a cocky nonchalance. "I have a gun."

When he saw that Harley wasn't laughing, he switched his approach.

Harley's fingers stopped reddening her skin, as JJ's rougher hand eased hers into his own. Their fingers laced together stopping Harley from going to attack her other wrist in anxiety. JJ's hand fell against Harley's neck, the pad of his thumb brushed at her tender skin. The slow back and forth motion soothed her.

This was not an embrace of friends. If JJ was just a friend then Harley's desire to always have him hold her wouldn't exist. Her eyes wouldn't have focused on his lips as he spoke hoping to press hers against his.

"If he wanted to try anything, he would have tried months ago. Besides, Billie is always there with you and you drive now."

"What if..."

"What if, nothing. The Pogues will look out for you once we tell them. You know I'll look out for you all the time. I care about you... a lot."

"JJ."

Harley became aware of the open door behind them and the sound of their friends.

"I know." Their eyes found each other's like magnets. "But I do. I care about you a lot and not like a friend would either. It's a weird feeling actually."

Harley had to gnaw down on the inside of her cheek to keep from giggling at the confusion that danced across JJ's face. He looked genuinely concerned about his feelings.

"JJ..."

"No wait. I don't want to be your friend. Being your friend sucks. I hate it."

"You don't want to be friends?"

Harley knew that she had told him they had to be friends, because anything more went against the Pogues' rules. She didn't expect her decision to push JJ away so much that he didn't even want to be friends anymore.

She enjoyed having JJ there to joke, be playful and cause trouble with. Nobody else made Harley feel the way JJ did. He made her nervous when he gazed at her. He made her laugh harder than anybody else. He made her feel cosy and content when he held her. Harley didn't want to lose that.

"No. I..." JJ seemed at a loss for words. Speaking about his feelings was foreign and so he had to rely on his actions. He sighed and let go of Harley's hand. Both of his cradled the side of Harley's neck, his thumbs brushing over her jaw and cheeks with a feather like touch. "Fuck it."

JJ kissed Harley. 

She would have pulled away if Billie's words didn't ring out to her. 

Harley wanted JJ. She liked him a lot and she deserve the chance to explore where things could go. So she kissed back.

They melted into each other. Harley let her mind fog up as JJ invaded all of her senses. She let herself tumble into the dreamy bubble that formed around them whenever they had these intimate moments. 

Sorry this isn't the best chapter, but it gets the point across.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 95 46
It's been seven years. Is she naive to think he could have changed? It's been years since she left Kildare for New York - seven years since she calle...
1.5M 20.3K 46
Y/N is a pogue, and best friends with JJ, but she's had feelings for him for a while.
32.4K 437 37
Continuation of the first part, Kook Princess. After John B and Sarah disappeared, or as everyone except the Pogues and Rosa call it, died, Rosa did...
2.6K 26 14
in which a girl went to live with her mom 2 years ago and returns as her love reminisces over her last photograph . This will be first point...