Book of Dragons

By AngrySnekBoi

Ima try to remake the book of dragons from httyd! Don't expect much tho. More

welcome
Fireworm
Typhoomerangs
Terrible Terrors
Red Death
Gronckle
Whispering Death
Screaming Death
Speed Stinger
Timberjack
Scauldron

Monstrous Nightmare

26 1 0
By AngrySnekBoi

Class: Stroker

The Monstrous Nightmare eggs have a surface that looks like they were made of cloth or leather folded together, with a spotted pattern on the base. Its colors vary and they match the colors of the dragon to be born.

Monstrous Nightmares come in many different colors such as purple, blue, scarlet, or green and possess a long, snakelike neck and tail. Unlike some other breeds of dragon, it has no forelegs, and its ground-based locomotion is similar to that of Pterosaurs, except that it has a lower profile due to its sprawled wings; it can use its claw-tipped wings to "crawl" along the floor. Their horns might be used as a visual display and in defense, but the swept back position of the horns means it is unlikely to use them in combat. In most pieces of media, this dragon possesses two rows of spikes on it's back, but in Rise of Berk the spikes are replaced by two sails. Its stripe skin patterns seem to mimic that of a tiger's. The Monstrous Nightmare is 60 feet long, has a wingspan of 68 feet and weighs about 5,000 lbs. It can be noted that male Nightmares are larger than females with longer wing spikes and horns.

The Monstrous Nightmare has front legs and walks quadrupedally. It also lacks the tall, wavy spines running down its back. Other characteristics such as the head horns and coloration are the same as other parts of the Franchise. The differences may be due to the difficulty engineering a live action animatronic puppet.

While aging, they can lose their spots to have black stripes, similar to the tiger. When they are fully grown and gain barbels, some of them change color when they achieve Titan Wing age. In Rise of Berk the sails they possessed as adults become rows of separate spikes. Once they have reached this stage they grow much longer and may gain spots in more striking colors. With age, Monstrous Nightmares seem to also grow beard-like appendages under their chin as a sign of age. Though this might mean that some of the same species of Monstrous Nightmares could age quite differently than others.

Abilities

The Monstrous Nightmare is one of the strongest and most formidable dragons with a wide variety of abilities.

Firepower

Monstrous Nightmares breathe an organic Kerosene Gel, which is hotter and more powerful than an ordinary flame. Their fire is hot enough to burn down a tree in a few seconds.

Its signature attack is known as the "Fire Jacket", "Flame Jacket", or "Fire Burst". This ability makes it engulf itself in flames resulting in an intimidating, offensive, and defensive maneuver similar in appearance to napalm or other gel-based incendiaries.

They are able to set any part of their body on fire, and they are also able to fire off a larger and more powerful fire blast whilst doing this as shown in the first movie and School of Dragons. It's also said that, while running downhill, the Fire Jacket ability makes the Monstrous Nightmare appear like flaming river, spreading the fire on the surrounding ground.

Monstrous Nightmares have the ability to Fire Burst to increase their body temperature so they can dry off.

The natural form of the Monstrous Nightmare's kerosene gel was shown to be green in color. It coats the dragon's hide, allowing a Nightmare to 'flame up'. The gel is also slimy, and easy to rub on surfaces. It occurs in a large enough quantity for a Viking to collect and store for other uses.

Kerosene Saliva

Monstrous Nightmares drool excessively as babies, as many species do. However, that drool contains the kerosene gel that coats the scales and makes it very volatile.

Senses

The Monstrous Nightmare has also been observed to have a well-developed sense of smell, as Hookfang was able to find Snotlout's scent. 

Strength and Combat

Monstrous Nightmares are among the most physically powerful dragons as they can send heavy Vikings a far distance with their tail, and can send a flying Gronckle at full speed with a heavy Viking riding on it by hitting it with their wings. Monstrous Nightmares are among the most well-armed dragons, for they are able to use their jaws, claws, tail and horns as formidable weapons in battle.

Their neck muscles are very strong, as they are able to carry heavy Vikings on their necks. Hookfang has proven that Monstrous Nightmares are able to toss a Night Fury with its mouth, despite having a toothache. Monstrous Nightmares, as proven by Hookfang, are also able to lift the entire weight. They are quite powerful fighters, as they can try to fight off a Night Fury, as Hookfang demonstrated to put up a good fight against Toothless twice. It's said that Monstrous Nightmares will never run from a fight, but if the dragon knows it can't win against a really powerful opponent, it will flee.

Speed and Agility

Nightmares have been shown to be quite fast on land, in water, and in the air. Hookfang was able to catch up with Toothless. Nightmares on land have been observed as fast runners while doing so in a straight line. They are agile and fast fliers as they are able to go around trees and dodge many arrows. Nightmares are also capable of making flips in the air.

Climbing

Monstrous Nightmares are excellent climbers on many different types of terrain and shown to climb mountains and Viking catapult towers as seen in the first film. They can also climb stone/metal walls while running quickly.

Intelligence

Monstrous Nightmares have shown to be very intelligent such as if they get the respect that they deserve want from their riders, they can learn great skills over a day.   But if they don't get sufficient respect from their riders, they will sometimes prank them and outsmart them, like how Hookfang has demonstrated many times on Snotlout.

Wing Blast

They have an ability that Astrid discovered, known as a Wing Blast, when she temporarily became Hookfang's rider. They use their large, powerful wings to create a blast of wind. It's even able to push back the weight of a Gronckle with the extra weight of a heavy rider while pulling up dragon root.

Endurance and Stamina

Monstrous Nightmares have high stamina and endurance, as was proven multiple times in the series. A Monstrous Nightmare from the first film took the attacks from Stoick with his large hammer or his bare hands. Hookfang even proved to take the attacks from Toothless the Night Fury with addition to taking a hit from a thrown hammer. Their durable skin is able to bounce an arrow off, and the skin on their head is shown to be quite durable in the "Defiant One".

The Monstrous Nightmare has great stamina as they are able to travel long distances. In the first film, Hookfang was able to run the whole arena when released from his cage and chase Hiccup and Astrid, in addition to fighting with Toothless.

Jaw Expansion and Strength

Like snakes, the Monstrous Nightmare is stated open their jaws wide enough to swallow an adult Viking whole, which is shown when Hookfang is able to fit Snotlout in his mouth.

According to Dragons: Rise of Berk, Monstrous Nightmares are able to chew through anything, even the cages that they are trapped in. Though other media has shown this to be false.

Swimming

Monstrous Nightmares have also been observed to be fast and agile swimmers, as Hookfang proved.

Hunting and Fishing

 As hatchlings, they are skilled hunters. Just like modern carnivores, Monstrous Nightmares seem to chase their prey down to tire them out before attacking, as shown by Fanghook hunting wild boar on land. They could hunt in solitary or as a pack if needed.

With their swimming ability, they can hold their breath and fish, which can be hooked on their spines. And they do that to keep their fish warm to eat later. They might use their spines to hold more fish to feed their young at the nest as they can store fish both in their mouth and on their spines.

Heat Resistance

Monstrous Nightmares are extremely heat resistant, as they are able to light themselves on fire with no adverse effects. They also don't seem to mind hot climates as shown by Hookfang in "" who stayed in an active volcano for a long period of time.

Titan Wing Abilities

A Titan Wing Monstrous Nightmare is fully grown form that has shown to enhanced physical attributes and abilities that make them stronger in strength and bulk.

Their range of fire is increased so targets can be hit from a further distance. Their fire breath seems to be quite brighter then average size Nightmare's.

The first appearance of a titan wing monstrous nightmare

Titan Wing Nightmares are proven to be extremely strong; able to toss away heavy dragons with its head over their body or even knocking a dragon out of the air by using their tail.

They have a more durable body than an average Nightmare which can take average blasts from different dragons, or even smashing into trees and other terrain by traveling at great speed.

A Titan Nightmare has a higher stamina and speed than a normal Monstrous Nightmare. As proven to be fast enough to catch up to Hookfang who has been enhancing his speed for years of hard training. The Titan Nightmare even showed their determination is greater than an average Nightmare as they were willing to continue fighting.

Since they are 'fully' grown and as big as their species can get as a Titan Wing, their ability to wing blast could be more powerful than average Nightmare's.

Weaknesses

Flame Loss

The true weakness of this dragon is losing their flame, as their fire burst protects them from hypothermia, and losing it could lead to death. According to they can lose their Fire Burst from old age, exhaustion, or injury. Symptoms include flaky skin, pale coloration, losing altitude while in flight, and inability to light up.

One can tie up their snout so they're unable to use their Fire Burst.

Turning in Flight

Due to a Monstrous Nightmare's long tail, they can't pull up in time when charging in a full speed dive. They are very fast when running in straight line but bad at making turns.

Also, Titan Wing Monstrous Nightmares are unable to maneuver as quickly as younger ones and have difficulty making sharp turns while in flight due to their size.

Stealth

Monstrous Nightmares have hard times sneaking up on prey or adversaries due to their heavy bodies, and tend to stomp loudly on the ground.

Clattering Objects

Monstrous Nightmares can be easily disoriented by clattering objects together, causing them to lose concentration.

Behavior and Personality

By nature, the Monstrous Nightmare is fearless and proud. They are some of the strongest dragons around and they know it. Monstrous Nightmares are very aggressive. In battle, they are said to be the first to arrive and last to leave.

 Snotlout revealed that the Monstrous Nightmare enjoys its horns being pinned to the ground. the best way to engage a Nightmare is to clamp its mouth shut, leaving it unable to open its enormous jaws, much like a crocodile (however, the rest of the dragon is free to do whatever it wants). They are also fast in a straight line, but not so good with turns. 

Despite their name, Monstrous Nightmares are known to have a softer side. Sometimes they don't even notice that an object as big as a rider falling off them. Being a hot-headed, feisty dragon, they will attack anyone in its way if spooked. Every time Monstrous Nightmares attempt to fight off Toothless, they are blinded by their aggressiveness that Night Furies are a far bigger threat than they think.

While other babies, which drool regularly, baby Nightmares are much different as they slobber packs of punch that their kerosene gel composition makes it akin to lighter fluid. When born, baby Monstrous Nightmares hatch fast and fiery. They are quick to be separated from the rest of the litter and assert their independence within minutes of their birth, but this hasn't been confirmed as shown on the Dragon Breeding Island when some baby Nightmares were still with their parents. They were shown to be eager to join their parents when setting off the return migration to Berk but like all the others baby dragons, they are unable to fly well due to their small wing and the strong winds that are preventing them to take off.

Female Monstrous Nightmares are able to call males that aren't her mate, but another individual of their kind. As Hookfang was shown to help a female dragon of his kind to defend her eggs from Titan Wing Monstrous Nightmare. Male Monstrous Nightmares are shown to be determined to answer this distressed call.

Their mating habits are similar to a lion's, as seen in Total Nightmare; rival Monstrous Nightmares who are fighting for a mate will want to destroy the predecessor's eggs, much like a new alpha male wanting to destroy the previous alpha's cubs.

These dragons are also extremely territorial, protecting their young and helping other individuals of the same kind. In "Total Nightmare", Hookfang was helped a female dragon take care of her eggs. He also pit himself against a larger, stronger Titan Nightmare which was attacking them in order to dominate over it and protect the eggs.

 Monstrous Nightmare can also store and heat fish by sticking them to its spines. The Nightmare can then engulf itself in flames and cook the fish, sort of like a barbecue.

If Monstrous Nightmares get a toothache, they would act strange, for example they won't eat for a few days. The dragon would then become agitated, act aggressive and then they will fire uncontrollably. As shown by Hookfang, tamed Monstrous Nightmares can also reject their owners and companions, usually only for a short while.

As seen in the comic, "Dragon Down", Monstrous Nightmares shed their scales periodically. This is a bit of a hazard for the environment and creatures around them, as the scales flame up and can start fires on the ground.

The best way to earn the trust of a Monstrous Nightmare is simply to show it the respect it deserves. Placing a gentle hand on its snout and showing you are not a threat to it is the best way to go. Hiccup even shown to Hookfang that he was no threat to him as he toss his helmet and dagger away. While Nightmares are generally tough, tenacious and rebellious, mutual respect and trust will certainly help both parties in the long run.

 Pinning a Nightmare's horns to the ground can help calm them down. Violence like grabbing any of their body parts prove to be ineffective.

Like another dragons, feeding is bonding time that was stated by Snotlout as it might be hard for inexperience youngsters like Gustav who tried to feed Hookfang and Fanghook as both weren't able to get the fish correctly as it will be result for attack as proven by Fanghook.

Helping Monstrous Nightmare with a toothache problem will show their softer side as they grow aggressively as Gobber helped Hookfang and Hiccup.

A Nightmare has incredible stubbornness, making them hard to control and very disobedient, as well as the fact that they are very easily distracted by butterflies and flowers.

A/N: Pictures did not work on here for some reason. Sorry!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

331K 9K 33
this takes place after httyd2! It does not include spoilers for httyd3, I came up with this before the trailer of httyd 3 came out Y/n y/l/n is an 1...
1.1K 50 16
... all three books will be under editing until I know I didn't make any mistakes other wise they are completed!
72.3K 2.1K 18
ᯐ π’π€π•πˆππ† 𝐌𝐘 π‹πˆπ†π‡π“: 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊 𝟐 ( π™·π™Ύπš† πšƒπ™Ύ πšƒπšπ™°π™Έπ™½ πšˆπ™Ύπš„πš π™³πšπ™°π™Άπ™Ύπ™½ 𝟸 ) ─────────────────── ❝ 𝐈𝐌 π’πŽπ‘π‘π˜, 𝐁𝐔𝐓 𝐈'𝐌 οΏ½...
707K 16.2K 57
It's the story of a young Viking. Actually, he isn't that young anymore. He's 23 years old now. His name is Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III. 8 years ag...