Eden Hall Ducks - Adam Banks

By halopolar

After winning the Junior Goodwill Games, Indiana Gaffney and Adam Banks attempt to balance their personal and... More

Meet the Ducks
Chapter 1 : Adam Banks is not my man
Chapter 2 : "We're the Ducks"
Chapter 3 : The First Day
Chapter 4 : See Me
Chapter 5 : Midnight Memories
Chapter 6 : Horrid Brownies
Chapter 8 : Who Took My Clothes?
Chapter 9 : Loyalties Lie
Chapter 10 : Dinner On Us
Chapter 11 : Ant Party
Chapter 12 : Jealousy, Jealousy
Chapter 13 : A Sad Day in Minnesota
Chapter 14 : Charlie's Return
Chapter 15 - Reinstated
Chapter 16 - (Almost) the End
Chapter 17 : The End

Chapter 7 : The First Game

2K 34 5
By halopolar

Later that night, the junior varsity would play their first regular season game. Charlie Conway walked into the room with a permanent smile on his face, seeming as if he had been in awe of something-- or someone. Indiana dressed for the game, across from the empty stall that was once Adam's. Indiana stared at it for a moment, before moving her stuff across the room and into his old stall. Indiana smiled to herself, wondering if he would be in the stands to watch her first game tonight.

Josh began announcing, "It appears the entire school has turned out to see the once Mighty Ducks, I mean, rather, the, um, Eden Hall Warriors do battle with the Blake freshman Bears." Indiana was the first player to step on the ice, skating over to the Warriors home bench.

"Gather around. Let's go. Hustle up. Come on. All right, think defense," said coach Orion. "All right, hands in. Here we go."

Indiana wasn't quite sure what the chant was, as they weren't exactly the Ducks anymore. To be safe, she said nothing. The rest of her teammates, however, began to quack.

Orion stopped them, "What the hell's that? Knock that off. All right, 'Go, team' on two. Here we go, one, two."

The Ducks let out an apathetic "Go team" and skated out to their positions. It was no surprise that Indiana Gaffney would continue on her same line, this time only missing Adam.

"'Go, team.' How original," muttered Charlie. Indiana skated past him, rolling her eyes.

"Just get in the game, Charlie," said Averman.

"Let's do it, Charlie," said Fulton, bumping his friend.

"Point of fact, Charlie Conway is not wearing the traditional captain 'C.' He's been this team's captain since they played in District Five. I guess Coach Orion's making a statement."

The game began relatively physically, Charlie being taken down within his first shift. Charlie was able to quickly recoup, grabbing the puck again and passing it over to Indiana. Indiana took a few strides, easily passing the Bears defenseman. Indiana deked around the goalie, scoring the varsity team their first goal. Everyone in the arena jumped up to celebrate, Indiana's teammates coming to embrace her. Indiana's eyes fled to the varsity team, where Adam quickly stood and cheered for her, before being pushed back down by one of the varsity members. Indiana's smile faltered as she watched this occur, knowing that even if she did get pulled up to the varsity team this season, she wouldn't be treated as if she belonged. She skated through the line, shaking hands with her teammates as they cheered for her.

It was Charlie's turn next, as Indiana poke checked the puck away from one of the Bear's forwards and regained possession. Indiana passed it to Charlie as he fled across the Warrior's logo at center ice. Charlie took the puck down the left boards, spinning around a defenseman and easily making a move around the goalie, scoring yet again. Charlie jumped up with his hands in the air, his teammates skating over to hug him. After removing himself from the celebration, he pushed his helmet back, revealing the smile plastered on his face. Charlie raised his arms as he skated towards the bench, smiling at Linda, who was on her feet and clapping at her first ever hockey game.

"All right, knock off the celebration! Act like you've scored before, huh?" Coach Orion yelled at Charlie, who was celebrating more than Indiana had. The junior varsity team had the puck in their offensive zone again, Russ putting up a knuckle puck shot to the goalie's face. As the goalie fell, Guy tucked in the rebound. After collecting the puck in their defensive zone, Luis was passed the puck at center ice. On the breakaway, Luis took a few strides before shooting the puck into the back of the net. Unable to stop, the goalie watched as Luis jumped over the net and hit the boards, falling to the ice.

Indiana, having just changed onto the ice with Dwayne, skated behind the net to help Luis back to his feet. Luis stared at Indiana as if she had suddenly developed several heads overnight. Everyone congratulated Luis, exclaiming that he had scored.

"You scored, Luis! That was amazing," stated Connie, who skated away after noticing Luis was back on his feet.

"Are you alright?" Indiana asked, watching as the boy looked back at her confused. As their teammates let go of Luis, he instantly fell back onto the ice. "Guess not," she muttered, grabbing him again and helping him off the ice.

The Duck's-- Warriors, continued to put on a show for the audience, every skater showing their individual skills. Dwayne fumbled the puck up the ice in the air, juggling it with his stick around the defenseman. Dwayne skated towards the front of the net, hitting the puck into the air and utilizing his hand-eye coordination to bat it into the net. Indiana laughed at her sister from the bench, as she skated around her crease, having only seen a few shots in the first period. It wasn't her fault-- the Eden Hall Warrior's jv team was showing the Bear's team all they had. Averman carried the puck past their offensive blue line, being hooked on the play. The referees let it go, as the Bear's were already playing as if they were a man down. Fulton grabbed the puck, winding up for a slapshot. Unbeknown of what was coming towards him, a Bears defenseman stood in front of the net, ready to block the shot. Fulton shot the puck, which wound up in the defenseman's glove. Everyone on the Warrior's bench winced as they watched the Bears player spin around multiple times, still holding onto the puck. He finally stopped spinning, the puck having been thrown into the Bear's net behind the goalie. Indiana and Charlie looked at each other in disbelief, not understanding how a play like that had worked in their favor.

"Yo, Russ, you got to teach me how to talk some trash," said Kenny from the bench. Indiana raised her eyes at the boy, who could barely stand up for himself when his lunch was taken.

Russ sighed, "It can't be taught, Kenny, man. I mean, it's got to be the first thing that comes to your mind. You just got to go for it. Try it." Russ motioned to the ice, allowing for him to chirp anyone.

Kenny Wu picked potentially the worst target on the ice, "Okay. Hey, ref, you--" Indiana hushed the boy as the ref turned to him, eyebrows raised.

Russ grabbed Kenny, placing his pointer finger over Kenny's mouth, "Uh-uh, shh. Pick another target."

Kenny nodded, looking around the rink for another player, "Hey, number 44, you, you, you, you play, you play-- You don't play real good," he said to a Bear's player who had just stepped onto the bench.

    Indiana cringed, "Nice one, Ken. You really got to him."

"Yeah, right," said the Bear's player, choosing to ignore him and sit down.

"Shorter, man. Get to the point," Russ instructed.

"Hey, number nine, bite me!" Wu yelled, leaning over the boards of the bench. The Bear's player skated into him, pushing him backwards and causing Kenny to fall.

"Now we're getting somewhere," Russ laughed.

At this point in the game, Charlie had scored his third goal, completing the hat trick. The score was now eight to nothing, the Bear's with ten shots on the Ducks net. The Ducks had thirty shots on the Bear's goaltenders, who had switched out after the fifth goal. The horn sounded, ending the second period. For the Eden Hall Warriors, it seemed as if their night was over.

Indiana began the first period strong, Charlie winning the faceoff back to her over at right wing. Indiana set up their offense down low, swinging behind the net as the defensemen passed back and forth. Indiana set herself up for a one timer at the right faceoff dot. Fulton, knowing the play that was taking place in front of him, faked a shot before sliding the puck across the ice, Indiana shooting and scoring top shelf. As she raised her arms, a Bears player-- who had tried, and failed, to block her shot, came sliding into her, taking her legs out from underneath her at her knees. Indiana fell forwards onto the ice, her head harshly hitting the ice.

Adam stood up from where he had been sitting, watching as his girlfriend grabbed her head in pain. After a moment of waiting, the teams trainer rushed onto the ice, talking to the girl.

"Is it your head?" The trainer asked her, after instructing her to slowly sit up. The girl nodded, shrugging off the pain.

"I'm fine," she reassured the trainer, slowly standing back up onto her feet. Julie had skated up to center ice, knowing that she would get a penalty if she skated up any higher. Indiana looked at her sister, nodding to her.

"We have to take you off for a concussion test," The trainer stated, offering her a hand. Indiana took it, as the trainer helped her off the ice.

"I'm fine," she once again stated.

"It's protocol, I'm sorry," said the trainer. Indiana nodded softly, not wanting to leave the game, but now knowing she had no choice. Indiana held a thumbs up to her teammates, causing them to cheer. The audience followed, applauding that Indiana was alright. Indiana looked up to Adam's chair, noticing that he was no longer occupying it. Indiana took one last look at the clock, knowing that she left the team with a 9-0 lead, which should be enough to keep the win.

Adam, ignoring the taunts of his new teammates, pushed past them and ran towards the stairs which lead down to the locker room. He looked around the hallway, running into the locker room behind the trainer, who gave him a look.

"I'm her boyfriend," Adam clarified, looking from the trainer to Indiana. Indiana sat at her locker, dropping her helmet to her feet in disappointment after having to leave the game. The trainer waved Adam in before walking over to Indiana and sitting in front of her.

"How does your head feel?" she asked Indiana.

"Fine. I think my stomach hurt worse than anything-- I fell right on top of someone's stick," detailed Indiana. Indiana took off her jersey and shoulder pads before rolling up her shirt to display an incoming bruise forming. "Yup."

"Can you tell me your full name and birthday?" The trainer began to go through her protocol.

"Indiana Evans Gaffney, November 6," she stated. The trainer then asked Indiana to follow her finger with only her eyes, which she did without feeling any side effects.

"Good. Alright, well we have a very strict concussion protocol here, so unfortunately we can't let you back into the game. Tomorrow you will have to go to the trainers room to be reevaluated, and if you are cleared, you can go back to playing. Sounds good?" The trainer asked.

Indiana nodded back to the trainer, who picked up her first aid supplies, handing Indiana a card with the athletic trainer's name and room in it. She stood up, rushing out of the room to attend to the rest of the game.

"You alright?" Adam asked the girl, who chuckled.

"I'll be fine. Sucks that I have to do this dumb reevaluation thing, but I'll survive," Indiana stated. Indiana looked up to the boy, worry still displayed on his face. "I'm fine, Adam. No need to worry."

"I was worried, yanno, with your concussion history and everything," explained Adam. It was true, Indiana had suffered from two concussions at her young age, making it easier for her to get more if she isn't careful.

Indiana picked up her helmet off the ground, tapping it twice with her hand, "best helmet money can buy-- I'm fine, Adam. Thank you for worrying."

Indiana stood up, walking over to Adam and giving him a small hug before pecking him on the lips. Adam smiled, "you're sweaty."

"Shut up," the girl said, rolling her eyes and smacking the side of his head lightly. The boy laughed before he walked towards her locker to help her put her equipment away.

"Want to watch the rest of the game?" Adam asked the girl, who nodded.

    "Here's to hoping they can keep a lead without me," joked Indiana. Indiana took off the rest of her equipment, putting it in her bag. Adam grabbed her hand before leading her to the zamboni doors, where the two stood to watch. Unfortunately for the junior varsity team, they couldn't hold a lead without the presence of Indiana. The pair watched in horror as the Bears began to climb back into the game goal by goal. Julie made a few good saves, but she couldn't help what was happening in front of her. The JV team had collapsed-- and the varsity team noticed. In a last ditch effort for motivation, Orion pulled Julie for Goldberg. In classic Goldberg fashion, he couldn't save a thing. Soon enough it was 9-8, with only thirty seconds left on the clock. Charlie exited the box after his penalty was over, holding onto the puck towards the newly emptied Bear's net. Charlie could have passed or cleared the puck, but instead went for the goal. Charlie was tripped as he shot, the puck stopping inches in front of the goal line. The Bears grabbed the puck, making one last skate down the ice.

    "I can't watch," said Julie, covering her eyes with her hand yet peering through her fingers. Adam stayed quiet, watching the play in front of him. The Bears forward shot the puck past Goldberg, tying the game. Indiana sighed, placing her head in her hands. The junior varsity team had tied their first game in a completely embarrassing game, one that Indiana could not believe she had been a part of.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

116K 1.8K 25
"You're so Full of Shit, Conway" "No, i'm full of Love" "It's Common Sense for me not to fall for you" "But there's a difference, your brother hates...
440K 8.6K 32
โ well... we do make quite the team โž -- in which she shines more than just on the ice and field โ like the super duo โž [ adam banks D1 ]
24.4K 339 24
๐–๐‡๐„๐ Adam Banks realized he loved something other than hockey. ๐Ž๐‘ When Adam Banks meets Scooter Holland's little sister. "Hey, Banks. Eyes off...
19.9K 127 10
Lyla Mitchell is just your typical hockey player, except that she is a child prodigy playing for one of the best teams in Minnesota, the hawks. She i...