Elysian Love | Ongoing

By Daphxiii

Alara Waters, a criminal defense attorney in the making. She has one last chance to prove herself to her boss... More

Author's Note
Character Aesthetics
Chapter 2 | The New Client
Chapter 3 | The Catastrophe
Chapter 4 | The Lawful Way
Chapter 5 | The Girl
Chapter 6 | The Night Out
Chapter 7 | The Flight
Chapter 8 | The Trial
Chapter 9 | The Surprise Date
Chapter 10 | The Tongue
Chapter 11 | The Break
Chapter 12 | The Two Day Trip
Chapter 13 | The Parisian Lights
Chapter 14 | The Workout
Chapter 15 | The First Outburst
Chapter 16 | The Fifth Date
Chapter 17 | The Pink Box
Chapter 18 | The Details
Chapter 19 | The Boss

Chapter 1 | The Taxi Driver

281 11 1
By Daphxiii

( POV: ALARA SU WATERS )

"You're the whore who killed my wife!"

My eyes almost bulge out of their sockets when I hear Mr. Hughes scream at the woman on the witness stand... His mistress.

"The whore you loved to fuck!"

"Mister Hughes! Miss Warner! I want you to control yourself or I'll have to ask you to leave immediately. Don't force me to detain you." The judge promptly establishes order in her courtroom.

I keep my eyes on the floor refusing to glance sideways at Jodi. My boss. Jodi Wyatt. One of the top criminal defense attorneys in the state. Probably the country. She's one of the senior partners of Wyatt & Meyers.

Long story short she's the shit and I'm her trainee who had one job. Make sure Mr. Hughes stays silent. Well, I sure failed and now she's going to murder me with her boney fingers. The worst part is that she'll probably get away with it.

"I apologize on behalf of my client, your honor." Her voice sends chills down my spine. My nails dig into my hands as I try to calmly breathe through the remaining five minutes.

Mr. Hughes is breathing down my neck so that isn't making things any easier.

I jump out of my chair when the judge declares that we're done for the day. I hastily pack all my documents, cramming them into my briefcase. It's a little difficult because it's jam-packed with all my highlighters and different colored notes. Which I wasn't allowed to use because Jodi said it made her look unprofessional and me childish.

"In my office, Waters." She whispers discreetly before strutting out of the courtroom with Mr. Hughes and some of the lawyers by her side.

I don't understand how they want to kill each other while they're inside but the instant they're outside they're talking to each other like they've been best friends for centuries.

"Today, Waters." the bailiff says, snapping me out of my trance.

"Sorry, Will." I flash him a smile as I collect my last few documents.

"It's Bryants to you." He reminds me for the millionth time. Apparently weeks together in a courtroom doesn't mean that you're on a first-name basis with everyone. Got it.

"Sorry Will Bryants."

He rolls his eyes at me, stepping to my table, thankfully I manage to collect all my stuff before he reaches me. "Bye Will Bryants! See you tomorrow!" I call out, running out of the room.

Tomorrow... Yeah, if Jodi lets me live one more day... I doubt it.

I truly believe she killed someone. I mean it's the only possible explanation as to why she's this good of a lawyer. She probably escaped justice once and now she's helping others.

My heels make this aggravating tick-tack sound as I hurry to leave the courthouse. My phone suddenly rings and it reminds me of something way more important than a simple murder case. It's my father's birthday!

I pick up the phone, squeezing my eyes shut when I hear my mother's angry voice on the other side of the phone, "Alara Su Waters!"

My name is quite ironic. Alara means water fairy, Su literally means water and Waters... That's self-explanatory.

"Mom, please just hear me out-"

"Hear you out? Hear. You. Out? Alara are you insane? It's been hours! You were supposed to be here with the cake at twelve! Do you have any idea how late it is?"

"Uhm... Eleven o'clock?"

I flinch when she screams again. Since my car is being healed, yes healed because she's a little sick, I'm walking back to work. It's not that far away but it's killing my poor feet.

My mom is busy screaming my ear off. I can't understand a single word.

"It's six o'clock, Alara!"

"Mom, I'm sorry. I told you it was going to be a busy day. Didn't Ezra pick it up? He said he could-"

"He's a cop, Alara! You think he has the time?"

"Well yeah actually. What do they actually do besides-"

"Nuh-uh, not this again. Ezra shouldn't have to do your job. Get the cake and come here or don't bother at all, Alara."

She hangs up just when I reach the firm. I sigh but then a smile makes it onto my face when my phone lights up again. "Alara..." He begins.

"Yes, baba?"

"Your mom is planning a surprise party isn't she?"

"Not so surprise anymore, is it?" I chuckle.

"That doesn't matter, honey. I don't need a cake. Just get here before midnight and that'll be enough."

I love this man.

Well, I love my mother too. I adore them both. She's just a little bit of a control freak while he doesn't care about these kinds of things.

"I'll get you your cake, baba. She ordered the fruit one because of your heart but I'm going to buy you some r-

"Red velvet?"

"Yes." I laugh.

"Allah gave me you for a reason and it was precisely for this."

"I agree. See you tonight, love you."

"Love you."

He hangs up and I dread it... But I still walk inside. Maybe if I-

"Waters!" Jodi yells the second she sees me.

Her office is on the twelfth floor! Why is she here? Was she waiting on me? Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no. She's going to fire me! I don't get paid enough to be fired! My salary isn't even enough to cover their monthly coffee breaks.

"Jodi, if you'd just-"

She slams the door shut behind me, going to sit in her creepy throne-like chair. "Waters. You had one small job. I trusted you. I let you in the courtroom with me. Do you know how many new attorneys get to shadow me? Work with me?"

"I don't know, ma'am. Two a year?"

"None! I saw potential in you! I hate to remind you but I helped you through law school! You know they were going to suspend you for-"

"I know." I don't need to hear it all over again. Those days are behind me. He left and those horrible days left with him.

"Well if you know then you understand why I'm so mad at you! Alara, if you can't handle your client, if you can't keep him silent, how do you think you'll ever be capable of saving their asses? You can't smile your way out of a sentence. You can't give them sweet gifts and hope they let your client walk!"

"I know," I repeat, this time my voice is slightly wavering.

Jodi sighs, "You're off the case. I'm replacing you with Duncan."

"Duncan? You're replacing me with Harry Duncan? Harry Daniel Duncan? The man who purposefully spilled coffee over my skirt this morning just so I'd make a fool out of myself? That's absurd!"

"I'm not asking you to like my decisions nor am I asking your approval. He's a damn good attorney and he'll be a perfect replacement. In the meantime I want you to work with Meyers. He has a very serious case on his hands. If you prove you can handle that, I'll take you back, I won't fire you. And I'll even give you a promotion."

That makes my annoyance for her fade away in an instant.

"What kind of seriousness are we talking about? Oh, I accidentally hit you with my car serious? or I drove over you with a truck serious?"

"He's going to get the death penalty if you don't save him serious." She states.

"It's a capital case?" I gasp. "I can't do that." I mean I'm not going to be the one who'll actually have to save him but even sitting in that room or talking to him seems scary.

"Then you can hand in your company card and leave immediately."

Shit.

"Wait. Let me rethink. Hmmm. Maybe I can? I mean sure. Why not? Yes, okay, I can handle it."

"Alara-"

"I'm sure! Enjoy Harry. He likes his coffee with six sugar cubes in the mornings. I know that because I steal them all and leave only five just to mess with him."

"You two need to stop this childish fight you have going on. You could be great partners someday."

"Ew. No. I'd rather die from hunger than work with him on a case."

"Careful. Don't make me assign him to the capital case too just to piss you off."

"Oh no, no, no! I'm good." I flash her a cute- hopefully cute- smile and scramble out of the room, running down the stairs as quickly as I can. It would be smarter to take the elevator but I'm already wheezing and sweating so why not continue?

I pull out my phone, trying not to wince when I see the time, and dial the phone number to call a cab. The driver, bless his heart, understood my wheezing and told me that he'll be here in two minutes

"Running away so you don't cry from embarrassment?" I hear Harry's obnoxious voice calling after me.

"Not today, Duncan! I can't-" deep breath so I don't faint, "handle you today." Since he decides he's not done talking, I grasp onto the handrail and await his annoyingly stupid remarks. I'm sure he's a nice person at home but he's always been so mean to me that I have no choice but to be mean back.

"Why are you sweating this much?" He furrows his bushy brown eyebrows.

"I don't work out much, Duncan. I don't have time."

He rolls his eyes, "Make time. I do."

"I have other priorities. Anything else?"

"Yes," he smirks, running a hand through his chestnut curls, "I got your case now."

"I know. I know. But I got the capital case."

"The capital case?" His smirk disappears. "The one with the serial killer? Who drained the bodies of all their blood?"

"Damn he did that?" My jaw drops. "Wow, I didn't know that... Anyway, yes that one."

He bursts out into laughter, "Oh, Waters... They're going to eat you alive. You can't handle a case like that one. It's way too heavy, are you sure you can do this, Ally?"

In rare moments like these Harry uses kind nicknames to make me forget how mean he truly is. Right now he's using the nickname to manipulate me into thinking he cares. I'm smart. I might be kind but I'm not stupid.

"I can do it. You go doubt if you can handle Mr. Hughes' case."

"Easily. I'm simply better than you," he smirks.

"You're so-" I halt in the middle of my sentence when I see how late it is on the clock behind him. "I need to go, we'll continue this tomorrow. Bye!"

"Tomorrow is Saturday," he states making me double down in laughter.

"As if that means anything to us." that being said I rush down the last flight of stairs, sighing when I see the dark and rainy sky.

Now, where is the- oh! "Taxi! I'm here!" I run out of the firm, struggling not to fall as I scramble to the man standing in front of the only car here by the firm. "I'm here! Thank you so much for waiting, sir! We can leave whenever you're ready."

"Wh-"

I jump into the car, missing his sentence. I roll down the window and stick my head out, "You were saying?"

His dark eyes stay trained on mine, his hair wet, his entire attire is soaking and dripping wet. I seriously stare at the cigarette in his hand with marvel in my eyes, how did the flame not go out? I can't see much because water is getting into my eyes so I squeeze them shut and open them again to see him better.

"Where's the journey to?" he lets out.

"The cake shop, one street down. Do you know-" He hurls his cigarette away and gets into the car. Speaking about the car... It's quite luxurious, doesn't look like a usual taxi at all.

Others order an Uber, I still call a cab. Why? I don't trust Uber. They're not true cab drivers so it's scary. At least I think it's scary.

"You want me to drive you to a bakery?" He asks, a humorous tone in his voice.

"It's not a bakery," I smile, "A pastry shop. Lizzie's pastry shop, it's just around the corner."

The man chuckles, "Alright, princess."

Princess? Huh... I'll allow it.

I slide onto the middle seat so I can easily watch the road. It's not that far away so I just watch the lights, how they go from red to green and vice versa. The ping of a new notification makes me glance down at the phone in my hand.

Mom <3: Where are you Ally?

I sigh and type a response that I know will make her smile.

Me: On my way. I'll be there soon. Don't get too angry. Remember the frown line we've been working on? Love you xx

The car suddenly flies forward and since I was a little too distracted I forgot to put my seatbelt on, catching me by surprise is the man's arm caging me in and essentially stopping me from flying through the windshield.

"Oh- thank you! I could've died! Thank you!"

"Who doesn't put their fucking seat belt on?" He curses, and he looks over at me when the car comes to a stop. His brows are furrowed and he looks very angry. Rightfully so.

"Sorry, you're right. Sorry. Thank you though. Really, I-" I'm scared shitless so it takes me a few moments to catch my breath.

The man sighs, "You're okay, take a deep breath and go get your pastry."

I nod, thanking him again before I jump out and rush inside. "Liz! It's me! Please tell me the cake didn't melt or go bad."

"It didn't!" I hear her yell from behind. "Sit down I'll be there in two minutes!"

After a quick glance at the cab who's luckily still waiting on me, I take my seat. Lizzie's shop is as vibrant as her personality. The walls are painted in a light pastel pink color while all the decorations are neon colors to make them pop more.

She has this seating area at the back where you can actually sit and eat your cake if you don't want to take it home with you. It's the coziest place in the city and probably one of my favorite spots. This place and the pizzeria near my apartment. I just love the people there.

"Here you go, sweetheart." Out walks the pretty tall brunette, who probably should be a model but is a baker. Not to stereotype models of course because they're all different as they should be, but Lizzie is the type of person that comes into my mind when I think about a model.

She's not the stereotypical old-school model, as in she's not extremely tall, extremely skinny, and small-chested. Lizzie is rather curvy, still very tall, big-chested, and absolutely gorgeous. Obviously, every model is gorgeous, that's like the whole point right? Anyway, she's a model in my eyes. Every woman is, to be frank... But Lizzie's just my role model.

Always spreading happiness, always giving the best advice, always there for her friends. And she always has the most delicious pastries for when I'm down.

Can you tell that she's one of my best friends? Because she is. I've known her since I was a little snotty child running around the playground.

"Thanks, Liz. I would love to stay but-"

"Auntie Kate would kill you. I get it. She's already mad at me because I can't come so let's not make it worse." She hands me the pink boxes but quickly side-eyes the car outside before she utters the next words, "I was going to ask if you needed a ride but your boyfriend is waiting, huh?"

"That's the cab, Liz. Not my boyfriend."

She squints her eyes at me, "Since when do cab drives not only own but also use their Aston Martin for their customers?"

I take a second look at the car and shrug, "It's a pretty car I thought that too but who knows? Maybe the actual obnoxious yellow cabs are out of style!" I press a swift kiss to her cheek and scramble back out.

"Thank you for waiting!" I place the cakes next to me and tell him where we need to go next.

But he doesn't drive.

"Sir?"

"Seat belt." He abruptly says.

"Oh," I let out a breath of relief that he isn't a serial killer. "Got it! You can continue."

My phone vibrates this time because I put it on vibrate, I take it and instantly pick up, slightly annoyed now, "Mom, I'm on my way. Five minutes tops, okay? I have the ca-"

A male laugh coming from the other side of the phone makes me stop and check who I'm talking to. Ezra. Of course.

"Hi, Ez."

"Were you using your angry tone at your mother, darling? That's surprising."

"She's been blowing up my phone because I'm late to-"

"Your dad's surprise party? Yeah, I know. I'm here."

I sigh, "Of course, the golden child is there first."

"I'm not really their child."

"And that truth makes my mother cry herself to sleep every night."

He chuckles and I do too, "Anyway, I'll be there soon, can you please ask everyone to just let me be for five more minutes?"

"I can do that. Wait, who's dropping you off? You're not walking, are you? It's raining and I swear Alara if-"

"I'm with this nice gentleman called-" I pull away from the phone for a moment, "What's your name sir?"

"Frankie," he replies without missing a beat. I give him a look over, he doesn't really look like a Frankie... But again, what do I know?

"I'm with Frankie and he's a very good and kind chauffeur so no worries."

Ezra sighs, "I told you a million times to call me when you need to be dropped off somewhere."

He did say that like a trillion times but I just can't. I don't want him to drive all the way over here to be my personal unpaid chauffeur. I'd rather pay someone. Even though this habit of mine is burning a hole in my wallet.

"I'm around the corner! Bye, Ez!" I hang up and lean back, closing my eyes to rest before joining the chaos at home.

"Busy woman." The driver mutters.

"Today, yeah. I normally never get this many phone calls. Personal calls, that is. Sorry for annoying you with my calls."

"It's okay."

We don't talk much for the rest of the ride so I just listen to some music while keeping my eyes on the road. At some point, he picks up the phone and I lower the volume of my song to eavesdrop.

"I'm on my way. Don't make me regret letting you do it."

On paper, that's a sketchy sentence. But in real life, it could mean anything. Like, don't make me regret putting you in charge of the turkey, or don't make me regret letting you pick out our new table.

"We're here." He says, snapping me out of my daze.

"Thank you, sir. How much-"

"You don't have to pay me."

"W-what?" I stumble. "No sir, I can't let you do that. I let you wait, took you to two-"

"It's okay, princess. Take it and get out."

He has this serious look on his face and it makes me a little uneasy, that's the only reason why when Ezra opens my door, I don't hesitate to step out.

"Let me take the cake before you drop it." My supposed best friend states as he shoves me aside to take them out of the car. I think he just wanted an excuse to see Frankie.

He closes the door and the driver leaves. Almost in a hurry. He probably was.

"So how angry is she?" I grimace while glancing up at the statue of a man in front of me. He's still wearing his uniform, which for him is a perfectly fitting black suit. Homicide detective. Obviously, he always travels in style.

"She'll forgive you when she sees that cute smile."

I force a smile onto my face and he shakes his head, "Not this one. Oh no, also not this one. Hmm, no never mind. You don't have a cute smile."

"Lizzie's not coming." I spit just to piss him off. He's had a crush on her for ages now. At least he did at one point when we were kids and I keep teasing him about it.

"Ah."

"Aw, someone's hurt."

"Devastated, really." He counters. "Now walk and for god's sake watch your step."

I roll my eyes at him and run inside. "Oh, mommy!!! Are you here? Baba?"

"Alara, stop yelling, he's upstairs. Don't let him hear you." My mom says as she rounds the corner, appearing right in front of me. She doesn't look a day over 35. Her brown hair is pulled up into a nice updo and her makeup is absolutely perfect, it accentuates her light blue eyes.

"Hi, mom." I smile sweetly and her stern expression morphs into an irritated but relieved smile.

"Hi, sweetie." She steps over to me, punishing me with her strong hug. "You got the cake, right?"

"Yes, Auntie Kate. She has them." Ezra calls out from behind me while he takes off his shoes.

"I told you a million times if you're going to call me something, call me mom."

"Mom!" I frown, knowing why she says that. She's desperately trying to hook me up with him. Even though I've told her a hundred times we're just friends. He's like a brother to me.

"What? He's a good kid. I love his parents. Your father does too. Why not?"

"Because he's my friend. A brother even."

Ezra appears beside me, throwing his arm around my shoulder, "It's time we tell them, baby." He teases and I decide to go with it.

"Are you sure? We've been hiding it for so long."

Mom's eyes widen and almost fall out of their sockets.

"I'm sure. Auntie Kate,"

"Yes?"

"Your daughter and I...We're just friends." He and I both laugh while my mother decides to assault us with her slipper. Ezra protects the cake and I protect my face from her attack.

"Idiots! Both of you!"

"Shh, don't yell. He'll hear you." I continue to laugh and it truly pisses her off.

We go inside, take our positions and wait for him to come down. When he does we all jump up, yelling, "Surprise!! Happy birthday!!"

He laughs and pretends to be surprised. He places his hand on his chest as he looks over at all of us with a huge grin on his face.

"Alara," My father smiles, "Did you get me the red velvet one?" He whispers to me during our hug.

"I did. Doğum günün kutlu olsun, baba."
"Happy birthday, Dad."

"Thank you, honey."

I sit with them for a while, laughing with my parents at their funny stories, eating the delicious Turkish food my grandma prepared for today. Before I leave, I kiss my father's hand and press it against my forehead. It's something we do to our elderly and our parents, it's a form of respect. I do the same to my grandma and grandpa.

A laugh escapes me when I see Ezra do it too, "You're learning."

"I sure am."

He drives me home, we go up into my apartment, and just when I was going to plop myself onto my couch, Ezra speaks up.

"I just got a message about the new club downtown. Wanna go?"

"I'm exhausted! I've been up since six and I've been busy alllll day and I have this new case tomorrow and I just-" I halt when I see my friend looking at me with zero interest in my complaints. "Fine. A few drinks."

Ezra keeps looking at me, his eyes moving up and down my body but he remains silent, "Yeah, I should change right?" I say and he lets out a breath of relief.

"You're gorgeous but they'll never let you in looking like a lawyer."

"But I am a lawyer."

"And I'm a detective, they won't accept us like this."

Ezra removes the badge hanging around his neck and places it in his pocket instead. I go to my room and change into a simple little black dress. A classic, right? I let my long hair cascade down my shoulders, pinning the front half up so nothing falls on my face. I hate that. I take the only pair of black heels that I own and put them on.

I spray on some perfume and done!

"Let's go, detective Palmer!"

"Already in the car, Miss Waters."

I laugh and hop in beside him, "Are Shyla and Amir coming?"

"They definitely are. They need a break from planning their wedding."

"My mother would be so damn proud of me if I was engaged to a doctor." I chuckle.

Ezra laughs, "We don't have another single doctor on our hands but we have a lawyer...."

I frown, not quite understanding what he means, "Who?"

"You know the single most obnoxious person on earth? The one who's been making you go crazy since- shit it's been six years!"

"Harry?" I exclaim. "Oh please! He's been hating me since we first met in college and then all through law school and now we work at the same place. He detests me."

"If I recall correctly you ma'am used to have a crush on him."

I scoff, "A crush that lasted all but 48 hours. He's too mean. Too cocky. Too everything." I shrug making Ezra roll his eyes.

I listen to the radio, tapping away at my phone, solving some quizzes, and playing silly games until Ezra says we're here. "Shit. Do you have a portable charger?"

He grimaces, "No, sorry. Leave it in the car. Throw something over it so people won't see it." I take his advice and do as he says. I hate not having my phone on me since I'm waiting on Mr. Meyers' phone call.

"Ally! Ez! Right here!" Shyla yells at us when we enter, calling us over to her booth.

The club is apparently very exclusive. Inside, the strobing lights are blinding me while the heavy scent of alcohol mixed with everyone's perfume is making me wish my sense of smell wasn't this elevated. Ezra motions to them that we'll be joining them after ordering our drinks.

"What does the pretty lady want?" The bartender asks.

My eyes scan the non-alcoholic part of the list and that is... Yeah, non-existent. I'll have to go with the lightest thing on the list which is a "Piña colada milkshake please."

Ezra rolls his eyes at me, "And an old-fashioned. Thank you."

"Why am I not surprised?"

"I aim to be predictable so I can shock the world when I make a different choice."

We take our drinks, thank the bartender, and join our friends. We didn't pay so obviously I begin to panic but I get informed that they add it to our tab. Fancy.

"Ally! Girl, I haven't seen you in what feels like ages." Shyla tugs me into a hug the instant I sit down.

"Ages as in just last week?"

"Yes, that was ages ago! I've missed you."

I laugh, "I missed you too!" I'm squeezing her into early death with my hug. To the point that Amir pulls me off. "No hello to me?"

Amir, Shyla, Lizzie, Ezra, and I have literally been friends since we were babies. Our parents still live near each other and we all went to the same kindergarten, middle school, high school, and even college. We even lived together in our college years, the only reason we don't anymore is because we're never home.

Amir is a very busy surgical resident, Shyla is an outstanding film director and producer, Lizzie owns a successful pastry shop which she's building further into a restaurant now, and Ezra is one of the best homicide detectives in the state- although he's still young, he earned the title when he cracked one of the cold cases. And then there's me... Well, I'm a struggling law graduate who's trying to truly earn the title of a criminal defense attorney.

"Sendemi burdaydin?" I tease.
"Oh, you were here too?"

"Gerizekali (idiot)," he laughs and greets me with a strong hug.

"So how are things going? How is the wedding coming along?"

"You shouldn't have asked that." Amir sighs. "Now she'll never stop."

I zone out while they talk, I try to follow the conversation but I'm so exhausted. Since I'm not paying much attention to anything, I finish my drink faster than I thought I would. "Does anyone want another drink?" I implore.

"No, but I'll come along." Ezra states but I shake my head. "I'll be back in a few minutes."

"You don't have your phone on you."

"I don't think I'll get kidnapped, okay? You can watch me from here." I laugh. Oh god, what if I do get kidnapped? Isn't this what people always say before they ultimately die? But I can't backtrack now, I'll look pathetic.

Pathetic but at least I'll be alive!

"No, you know what? You should come."

"Wise choice." He grins.

I grab his hand, now a little too afraid to let go and it makes him laugh, "Okay, don't overreact."

"You put the idea into my head. I was very fine before."

I order another drink but now I need to use the restroom and he can't come with me. "Should I get Shyla?"

"No, I'll be in and out in two minutes. You go ahead."

"I'll wait by the door."

"That's creepy, Ez but I love you."

He smiles, leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on top of my hair before he leaves. He hands me his phone just to be safe and it makes me feel safer than he could've imagined. It's the small things.

The drunk girls in the restroom are trying to fix each other's makeup but they're only making it worse. "Here, let me help." I chuckle as I wipe the brunette's red lipstick off of her cheek with a piece of toilet paper that I wet underneath the sink.

"Thank you." She slurs. "Your hair's so pretty." She continues.

"Aw, thank you, honey. You look amazing, those boots are killer."

"Really? They hurt." She sighs.

"Beauty is pain, isn't it?" I grimace because I hate that statement but pretty things do often hurt. "You're hot as hell, go kill it out there."

A loud happy laugh escapes her and she nods, running out of the restroom on wobbly feet. I enter the stall and relieve myself of the pee I've been carrying around all day.

I wash my hands, momentarily losing my sense of surrounding and singing along to the new pop song playing outside. I stop when I almost choke trying to hit one of the whistle notes.

"Ah shit," I curse when I note that I forgot Ezra's phone in the stall. I rapidly walk back into the stall and apparently I was right on time. The instant the stall door closes someone barges in, yelling at everyone to leave. He sounds extremely angry.

Stay calm, Alara. Maybe he's just drunk. I move to stand on top of the toilet but thankfully my first instinct was right. He's just very drunk. Security is already here, helping him out. "That's enough, come on. You're scaring the people."

"She took everything from me!" The man cries and my heart goes out to him.

Once they're gone, I leave too. Enough action for today right? I can't handle anymore a- "So sorry!" I apologize when I bump into a man who was clearly at fault here but that doesn't matter.

He doesn't respond but when I look up, I can see his face better, "Oh hi Frankie!"

I see an instant frown being formed on his face when he glances down at me, "You again?"

"Yeah... It's me! How are you? Did you have other annoying customers after me?"

He seems a little amused but he's also looking over me at something at the back of the club so naturally, I turn around too. His hands are instantly on my shoulders twisting me back around, "Don't." He warns.

"Okay... I should probably go, Frankie. It was nice to see you again." I give him a soft smile and decide to leave as fast as I can.

Sadly I can't. I make it one step further before Frankie curses and takes my hand into his, tugging me back. "You can't go now."

I chuckle, "And why is that?"

His eyes slightly widen and he doesn't even care to give me an explanation when he suddenly presses something on his phone making all the lights go off in the club. His hold on my hand is strong when he pulls me after him, making me run through some hallways.

"What are-" When I try to talk or pull back, he sees it fit to just grab me and throw me over his shoulder.

Oh no. I'm being kidnapped. Literal abduction!

"Help! Hel-"

"Shut up, idiot. I'm saving your ass."

"You're definitely not. You-" I hear a gunshot and that manages to silence me. For a millisecond. Then I just scream like a maniac until we're outside. Frankie- if that's even his name- pulls us into a dark alley and puts me down. I can't run away because first of all, I'm scared shitless, and second of all I'm scared shitless.

He takes his phone out again, pressing a few more buttons before focusing on me again. He takes a few steps closer until my back hits the brick wall. I'm close to hyperventilating and Ezra's phone keeps buzzing. In a mindless state, I take the phone and pick it up. Of course, the man takes it away from me. "Enough phone calls for today."

I can hear Ezra shouting my name over the phone and asking if I'm okay. Frankie just hangs up and places the phone in his own pocket. His eyes are moving left, right, north and south, he's checking every person who passes by us.

He tugs us further down that alley, deciding that the best spot to keep us in is right beside a flashy open sign from the deli around the corner.

"We have two minutes at most so don't freak out, okay? You're holding it in so good, keep holding it in for a few more moments."

Am I a hostage? Did he kidnap me? Or did this man seriously just save me from getting murdered? I don't know but I do know that I've never felt this much adrenaline before.

"If there's someone after you, we can call my friend he's-"

"A detective? I know, princess. He's exactly who I don't need right now."

"Why? Are you a murderer?"

"Murderer adjacent."

"What the-"

"No yelling." He says through gritted teeth, his hand covering my mouth so I don't talk. "What's your name?"

I tell him but he can't hear me because of his hand so I reach up, grasp his wrist, and tug at it. He lowers his hand, making it hover near my neck instead. "Alara," I breathe.

"Now, Alara. I have to do something that I know for sure will make you freak out. Can you promise to go along with it so we don't both die?"

He immediately regrets his words because my eyes widen, and I start stuttering like crazy. The only thing that manages to silence me momentarily is another gunshot. The sound makes me feel weak in my knees and I move down to crouch on the ground.

This is him all over again.

I promised never again.

Never again.

"No, no, Alara, look at me. We don't have time." He pulls me back up and I try to focus on him, I truly try because I'm not that new to this. But I'm scared. And I was just as scared then.

Then in a split second, the man in front of me has to decide to save both our lives when we hear yet another gunshot. He tugs me up, wrapping my legs around him, his hands cupping my face and most importantly his lips on mine.

I inhale sharply and he uses this as a way to enter my mouth, I let him. I can feel my heart beating in my ears, in my stomach, and yes even down there. I'm scared not dead. Yet.

"Touch me," he whispers in between kisses, and when I don't, he takes my hands and spots them in his hair. His hands return to my cheeks and I tug at his hair. I would love to say that I do that because I'm aroused but no. I'm doing it because I fear that we might die at any given moment if I don't.

"Keep your eyes closed." He murmurs at me because I keep trying to look at who's walking by us. When he crashes his lips back onto mine again, I lose all focus. I close my eyes and pull him closer. I'm not stupid. I know people with guns are still chasing us. But at this moment, I can only focus on how good this man tastes and smells.

Since I'm getting way too into the kiss, I find myself moving up higher, gently bending my back to be closer to him. A soft moan escapes me and that makes the man turn feral. His hands move from my cheeks to my waist, slowly moving to my hips. His fingers dig into my ass and that's when I gasp.

That small intake of breath causes us to stop and me to remember what's going on, "They must've left right?"

He glances around but then shakes his head, "Not yet," he whispers against my lips, kissing me again. He presses himself against me and I can't help but be surprised and amused at the same time when I feel the bulge in his pants.

It's been a while but I still got it.

He then abruptly pulls back. As if he suddenly saw something. He keeps me right where I was. Pressed against the wall, wrapped around him. One hand is on my ass while the other is now on his phone. He's getting a call and he picks up, "Are they gone?"

"Yes, boss." I hear the other person say. I let out the biggest breath of relief.

"Oh thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, God!" I take a deep breath and continue, "I'm going to be so good from now on. I'll do anything you want. I'll be the best daughter, best person, best-"

"Shhh!" The man interrupts me. "Yes, I have a girl with me. They saw her talking to me and they were about to go after her the second she stepped away from me." He explains.

"So I'm fucked?!" I yell. "God why? I was just thanking you! Why? Oh-"

"Shhh! Be quiet." His hand flexes and it reminds me that we're still in a way too intimate position. I start to move and slap his hands away. I dive into his jacket pocket and take my phone.

The weird part is that he lets me.

"Yeah, obviously I can't let her go, I'm not a fucking idiot."

I keep my eyes on him, scared to actually do anything. I could leave... But what if the men out on the street are worse than him? Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Fuck it.

I make a run for it- correction, try to make a run for it but he grabs me, hanging up on his phone call. "Alara, right?"

"Yes... Can I go? I think I'm going to actually shit my pants if I don't go home now."

He chuckles, "I can drop you off but I can't let you be alone so I'll need to come with you."

"No, thank you! I'm not letting a psychopath into my house!"

"I saved your life." He states.

"How do I know for sure? Who says those men weren't cops and that you weren't running away from them and that I'm actually your hostage? If- oh fuck me, I'm an accomplice! I kissed you! I'm- oh fuck. I don't need this. Not again."

He frowns but doesn't say anything, "Let me drop you off at a friend's house then. I'll wait outside just so you're safe."

"Let you drop me off so you know where they live? No thank you. I'll go home by myself, taxi driver. I told you my friend is a detective. He can do a better job at keeping me safe than you can. Actually, I can keep myself safe just as fine."

"Are you always this argumentative?"

"It's literally my job so yeah. Well no. I'm usually really sweet but apparently, I'm not that sweet when I'm fearing for the safety of my life!"

The man takes another step toward me, his hand on my cheek again, it bothers me but I don't move away. "Though I'm not hearing any complaints about it, I'm sorry I kissed you. And I'm sorry you got dragged into this situation. I'm not even a taxi driver so that's seriously your fault for not noticing."

My jaw is somewhere on the ground, "Is your name even Frankie?"

"Fuck no," he laughs.

"Now let me bring you to your friend, okay? I'm following you to their house, I don't care what you say or who you claim is better at keeping someone safe. I brought you into this so sadly you're my nuisance now. Don't tell him anything about me."

"Nuisance? Nuisance! I didn't ask for this! I just- I need to go." I turn my back to him but hear his footsteps behind me, following me to the club.

Thankfully, Ezra is outside, two cop cars surrounding him. I can see that Shyla and Amir are sitting in one of them. "Alara, fuck!" Ezra yells when he sees me, rushing to me. He wraps me up in his arms and I bury my face in his chest.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I mutter.

"What happened?" He pulls back, wiping away the single tear rolling down my cheek. He looks murderous.

"I saw the taxi driver from earlier. I bumped into him and just said hi. He didn't let me leave, took my hand, and pulled me out of the club with him. A second later I heard the gunshots. I have no idea if he saved my life or not but I was scared shitless. He knew about you being a detective and he said he was murderer adjacent? Whatever the fuck that means. He then kissed me-"

Ezra's brows basically fly off his face.

"Yes, he kissed me and surprise surprise I kissed him back because the people with the fucking guns were passing by us and it was a good way to blend in. Now yes, I might've enjoyed it for a second. Only until I remembered that he's a psychopath! Anyway, he said I'm his nuisance now? Because they saw me with him? I have no idea what he means but he said I can't go home alone and he said that even if I come with you that he'll be outside all night to keep me safe? Or hostage? I have no idea, Ez I-"

"Breathe, Al." His thumbs soothingly brush over my cheekbones. "You did well." He smiles. "Let's get the fuck out of here and then you tell me what he looked like okay?"

I eagerly nod, "Please. I need to be at the office at seven in the morning. I need to process this quickly and then sleep."

"You will. Get in." He opens the car door for me and I jump in. He throws his jacket over me and I was about to close my eyes to rest when I feel a vibration underneath my bum.

It's my phone.

I take it, swipe it open, and see that I have four new notifications. Three texts and one missed voice call from Mr. Meyers.

Mr. Meyers: I tried to contact you, Miss Waters but I know that it's already quite late. Therefore I'm alerting you via message that I'm expecting you at noon tomorrow. We're going to brief you in first and then we'll meet with our client. I'm looking forward to our work together.

Okay, good. That's very good. I hastily type a reply and then go through the other two.

I feel my heart drop to my stomach.

Two messages from two separate phone numbers. Both unknown.

Unknown (1): Princess. I told you not to say anything and you tell him everything? Lawyers... Can't ever trust them.

Unknown (2): Run as far away as you can I'll find you. You've suddenly become quite important to us Miss Waters.

Well here goes my career down the drain. Of course, the first thing I think about is my career. I fought way too hard for it to let someone's mistake ruin it for me.

Instead of showing the messages to Ezra, I take a screenshot of the second message and send it to the first unknown number.

Me: Please fix this.

I'll show the messages to Ezra once I'm done talking to the unknown fake taxi driver. He wouldn't let me text him and who knows? Maybe he's truly the only one who can keep those creeps away from me.

I wait... Wait... Wait... And my phone lights up again.

Unknown (1): I'm on it, Princess. Get some sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

796K 32K 61
DISCRETION SERIES - Stand Alone - BOOK #5 ♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎ " I only trust you, Tesoro.. " He muttered once again, not budging when I tried to pull...
418K 2.9K 20
| EDITED & FULL VERSION IS OUT ON KINDLE NOW | Young Alexandra Lowell is head over heels in love with Marcus Torres-her brothers best friend. He's a...
6.8K 101 12
Amina is 23 years old and just ended the college for nursery and has been working at a small hospital at big New York for 2 months. Her dad is a doct...
66.1K 3.2K 46
[COMPLETED] Three years ago, she ran away from something she doesn't want to go back to, and never looked back. But that doesn't mean she's safe. 21...