CANAISIS ∞ Chronicle One ∞ 2:...

By -NikaRave-

Book 2 of CANAISIS ∞ The Last Living Ship trilogy (Chronicles of Canaisis 1) Can a ship, born to sail the oce... More

Chronicle 2 ∞ A Captain's Journey
45 ∞ The Promise
46 ∞ From Rage to Mission
47 ∞ Dreaming Memories
48 ∞ The Crisis Point
49 ∞ Touched By Lightning
50 ∞ Awake But Not Awake
51 ∞ All For Nothing
52 ∞ Double Reboot
53 ∞ Slag and Holes
54 ∞ The Two Hundred
55 ∞ A Decision To Make
56 ∞ The Cart Ride
57 ∞ A Specific Mindset
58 ∞ An Unusual Artist
59 ∞ For the Sake of a Little Girl
60 ∞ The Leaving
61 ∞ The Response
62 ∞ A Breakthrough
64 ∞ The Hazard of Polygamy
65 ∞ Thermal Anomaly
66 ∞ The Welcome Back
67 ∞ Raw Wound
68 ∞ Flashes of Knowledge
69 ∞ Possible Mutiny
70 ∞ To Piggyback a Pulsar
71 ∞ Wind and Water
72 ∞ Feeling of Thunder
73 ∞ Her Mission
74 ∞ The Empty Apartment
75 ∞ Recalled for a Call
76 ∞ A Bargain Struck
77 ∞ Looking Up
78 ∞ Security Breach
79 ∞ The Intercept
Dear Reader (2)
80 ∞ Overstepping Bounds
81 ∞ The Promise Made
82 ∞ So Little Time
83 ∞ A Standing Still in Time
84 ∞ A Crazy All of Its Own
85 ∞ The Temple of the Goddess
86 ∞ Into the Lair
87 ∞ Under Fire
88 ∞ From Fire to Black Hole
89 ∞ Going Through the Motions
90 ∞ Three Years
91 ∞ Home Stage
92 ∞ Illegal Request
93 ∞ Final Exchanges
94 ∞ Goodbyes and Introductions
95 ∞ Captain's Duty
96 ∞ The Progenitor
Chronicle Three ∞ A Shard Of Code

63 ∞ Stuck in His Ways

100 23 2
By -NikaRave-

Day 00009 Mission Nilex

With a suddenness that surprised her, Ayla felt herself again within her own body. She opened her eyes and looked around.

She was in a bed. Lina sat in a chair next to her with her head tilted to one side, sleeping.

A sense of déjà vu hit Ayla. "Canaisis, is this a dream?"

Lina's head snapped up, and her eyes grew round at the sight of Ayla. With a scream of delight, she lunged up and hugged Ayla hard.

"You're back! Thank Gaia, you had us so scared, Ayla!"

As Lina rocked her back and forth, Ayla heard Canaisis answer in her mind, «No, Ayla, this is real. You've controlled your Gift and returned.»

Lina pulled back, held onto Ayla's arms, and regarded her with a speculative look. "How are you? Do you wish to share the Burden?"

All the memories crashed into Ayla at once, the mere question throwing her emotions into plummeting chaos. Despair swept through her, and she couldn't hold back the tears. Lina hugged her close again and poured all her love into her.

"It's okay. I'm sorry—I shouldn't have asked. It's going to be alright. You're back, and I'm not going anywhere until you're yourself again."

Great sobs wracked Ayla as she held onto Lina, burying her face in her sister's chest, trying to block the images of a dead world floating in her mind. She could hear the ash blowing in the wind, and she hated the sound, hated the cold in her hands and feet.

Nura crashed through the door at a dead run to their side. Panting, she wrapped her arms around them both. Ayla felt the love Nura offered pour into her, but the cold and sound of grating wind remained. She couldn't stop the images of bones and a dead city covered in ash. She couldn't stop the darkness from filling her mind. It was too much, the vice grip of despair pulling her down.

«Canaisis, help me," she cried out in her mind. «I can't take it!»

«I'm here, Ayla. You're experiencing a form of shock. This will pass—be patient.»

«I don't think I can. How did he do it? How did he get over all he saw?»

«Did he? I think it best you ask him yourself, Ayla.»

«I don't know... I don't know if I can talk to him, Canaisis,» she responded between the sobs wracking her body. "Not right now.»

«He needs you more than he knows, Ayla. We both do. You're a healer—will you turn away? You're the strongest of the Nilex Corporation, are you not? I remind you of your duty, Ayla.»

Ayla clenched her fists as her body shivered, tears rolling down her face. Lina squeezed her as Ayla pulled her emotions together with long, deep breaths. She felt herself gaining control ever so slowly. Lina and Nura's combined strength gave her the support she needed as she collected her thoughts. Lina hugged her even tighter, and gradual warmth returned to Ayla's extremities. The sound of ash swirling in the wind receded into the distance, and she could finally make out her friends' constant words of comfort.

Strength returned to Ayla with each breath. When she had enough control, she pushed back to make them release her, Lina sitting on the edge of the bed, Nura standing over them both.

Lina clasped Ayla's hand in both of hers. "It's alright now. We're right here, and we're not letting go of you."

"That's right," said Nura. "You scared us silly, and we aren't ever going to let you do that again."

Ayla took comfort in the love coming from them as she shook her head. "I'm okay."

Lina smiled at her words. "No, you're not. You are far from okay. But things will get better. It's just going to take time."

An urgent physical need came to the forefront of Ayla's mind as she wiped her wet cheeks with both hands. Nura leaned over to give her a long, tight hug.

"We're here for you, sister. Don't push us away."

Ayla's need was becoming demanding as she restrained a laugh at Nura's words. "It's not that, Nura. I have to go to the bathroom. Now."

Nura released her. "Oh, sorry. I should have known. You've been out for three days. Here, let's get you out of bed. Lina, get her other arm."

"I can get up myself."

Lina stood up and grabbed Ayla's arm. "Your legs may be weak after what you've been through. Do you think we're going to let you fall and kill yourself just when we got you back?"

Ayla nodded in acceptance. Arguing wasn't going to get her anywhere and would only cause her delay. She slid herself to the edge of the bed and realized Lina was right—she did feel weak.

How did she get to this room, anyway? The question brought memories... She remembered the Captain, the concern on his face as butterflies flew above him, as he picked her up in his arms. He started running, and she could feel his chest pumping, before everything went black.

Lina and Nura supported her on either side as she stood up on wobbly legs. She let her friends guide her to the bathroom. Once she was situated, they left the room and closed the door behind them.

Lina and Nura waited outside at a respectful distance for Ayla to complete her task. They both watched the door in silence until Nura threw Lina a glance and noticed her speculative expression.

"What?" Nura asked. "Lina? What's on your mind? Surely, everything's going to be alright."

Lina titled her head sideways to look at her. "She can talk to the ship. I felt it."

"Oh," was all Nura could think of saying. They both turned back to look at the bathroom door.

In another part of the ship, Captain Gareth Levant was on his knees, leaning into a large, square hole in the floor, housing a series of pipes connected to various-sized modules.

«Captain,» Canaisis interrupted his thoughts, «Ayla has awoken.»

He sat back, putting his tools down on the floor next to him. «That's good news. Give me a full report, Canaisis.»

«Just before regaining consciousness, she experienced a synaptic activity of 370 percent throughout all regions of her brain for a period of 143 seconds. Then she abruptly returned to normal and regained consciousness. Upon awaking, she experienced severe emotional shock, but Lina and Nura were present and seemed to help her overcome her shock. They remain with her still.»

«Emotional shock? From awakening?»

«No, Captain. From all that she experienced while unconscious.»

«Then she really did see my past? I know what Ahmid said, but I find it hard to believe.»

«You'll have to ask her yourself, Captain. I respect her privacy on this matter.»

Gareth considered Canaisis' words, and he appreciated Canaisis' judgement. But he also had a curiosity—no, a need—to know what Ayla had seen of his past. If what Ahmid had said was true. Parts of his past were best kept locked away, even from himself. No good came from revisiting those moments.

When she next looked at him, would she see him or his past? The thought of seeing his past in her eyes triggered a needle sharp pain in his mind. Trying to disregard the thought, he inspected the water purification system he'd been working on.

He was almost done anyway, might as well finish the task. It sounded like Ayla needed some time before he made an appearance. Returning to his duties as Ship Master, he sent his thoughts to Canaisis, «Have they notified Ahmid yet? And what is Ayla doing now?»

«There has not been time. Shall I notify Ahmid for you?»

«Yes, please. Tell him I will join them shortly. And Ayla?»

«Ayla is using the bathroom at the moment, Captain.»

He gave a rueful chuckle. That he could definitely understand. He picked up a motor for the pump subsystem and looked around himself at the tools he had set down on the floor. He found the correct one and leaned into the hole, reaching for a module. Finding a resting spot for the new pump, he went to work on the old one.

«This synaptic spike, it's higher than the others. Has she suffered any damage?»

«No, Captain. But it's not the first of its kind—she had one similar earlier. The medical nanos she's received are working at optimum efficiency, and her brain's cellular integrity remains intact.»

He let out a sigh of relief and disconnected the module he desired. «Well, that's something, at least. I hope we've done the right thing.»

«We've preserved the life of a passenger, Captain, as our Mission dictates.»

«I know, Canaisis, but sometimes doing the right thing at the moment isn't the right thing in the long term.»

«Do you regret the nanos I gave you?»

Gareth considered the question as he installed the replacement module—it bought him time. Canaisis was developing an uncanny intuition, he noted. She'd taken his statement and leaped to the conclusion that he'd actually been talking about himself. He didn't know if he had been. But he would not allow himself to be part of that equation—not to himself, Canaisis, or anyone else. A captain's responsibilities took precedence.

«We have a Mission, Canaisis. I don't get the luxury of regret. But Ayla has no such duty or obligation, and in the long run, she may very well regret the choices Ahmid and I made for her. Only time will tell.»

Leaning back up to rest on his heels, he looked down into the access hole in the floor. «I'd really like to meet the engineer who thought putting this under the floor was a good idea.»

«You've expressed such sentiment in the past, Captain. It's not possible to meet him, but I can send his bio file to your desk if you wish.»

«No, Canaisis. You know I'm just venting.»

«Yes, but reading his bio might prevent you from developing pressure in the first place, since you insist on doing these tasks yourself.»

«It keeps me busy, and you know it. I thought that was a good thing. Besides, this was my ship when you were still just an operating system. I like to keep an eye on your systems' integrity—call me old-fashioned.»

«I take that to mean you're old and stuck in your ways.»

«Old and stuck in my ways? Did you find that phrase in the archives?»

«Yes, Captain.»

«Well, it fits. Good choice.»

«Thank you.»

«Don't thank me. Run a systems' check instead of wasting this old man's time.»

«I already have. I would have notified you of any problems.»

«Fine then. Seal the floor, please.» He watched the grey floor around the hole flow across the hole until there was no sign of it ever being there. Then he got to his feet and picked up his tool kit and the old module. «There. Now we can rest assured our guests will have suitably fresh water when they all awaken.»

He started walking across the service room, heading for the only door.

«As you say, Captain.»

«I do, but then I'm stuck in my old ways.»

«I don't think that's the correct context for that phrase to be used in.»

«Too late, Canaisis, you started it. Besides, I'll be the judge of its correct context.»

«I didn't start anything. I was merely using a Human phrase that seemed to apply to the situation.»

«What? That I'm old or that I do some things myself?»

«I'm beginning to sense I'm going to regret using that phrase, Captain.»

«You youngsters are so slow to catch on.»

«And Captains are so stubborn.»

«Yes, it's our best quality.»

«Now that's a dubious statement.»

«And just how many captains have you known?»

«That's beside the point.»

«No, it's not. It just means you'll have to accept my point... and my judgement on the matter.»

«You have a point? I must have missed that part.»

«They say short-term memory is the first to go, old girl.»

Laughter rang within his mind. «That will be the day.»

«Careful what you wish for.»

«Indeed, Captain. I am very careful.»

«Oh?» He reached the door leading out to this level's corridor and opened it. «You have something specific you wish for?»

«I do, but a woman is allowed to have her secrets.»

«Not from this old Captain-stuck-in-his-ways you don't.»

A brief sigh sounded before Canaisis answered him. «Very well. I'm wishing I hadn't used that phrase. I can tell you're going to be annoying for the next two days.»

He chuckled as he walked down the corridor to the transit tube. «See? I was right—youngsters are slow to catch on.» He entered the tube and waited, floating in the tube's zero-G.

"Well?" he asked, surprised that nothing happened. «What are we waiting for?»

«What? Oh, I forgot you were in the tube. It must be that short-term memory failure. Sorry, where would you like to go?»

«To put these tools away, of course, just like I do every time. After all, I'm old and stuck in my ways.»

Canaisis' magnetic 'hands' activated, propelling him down the shaft as she answered, «See? I was right, you're going to be annoying for quite some time.»

His lips drew back in a grin. «Remember, you started it.»

«No, I didn't.»

«Yes, you did.»

«Did I? Darn, it's that short-term thingy failure again. What did you call it?»

«I don't remember, either. I'm old too.»

«Yes, I can tell by your crankiness.»

«So I'm cranky now?»

«Only after getting shot during training, Captain.»

«Well, what would you expect after I get hit?»

«But you asked for it.»

«But you shouldn't listen to me—I'm old.»

«You're the Captain, and that's the end of it, Captain. No backing out now.»

Taking a softer tone of thought, he replied, «I know, Canaisis. I wouldn't have it any other way.»

«Neither will I, Captain. Now hurry up so you can go get washed up and changed. A captain should be suitably dressed before going to see Ayla.»

He let his thoughts reflect indignation. «Who said that is where I'm going next?»

«Nobody had to say anything—you're old and stuck in your ways.»

Letting his indignation rise a level, he answered back, «Just for that I'll spill tea on the floor later.»

«Not if you don't want to shower in zero-G, you won't.»

«Alright, you win.»

«Don't I always?»

«As long as you remember who is Captain.»

«Remember what? I forget.»

«Well, as long as you don't remember, I might as well slip away while I can.»

«You can try, but all outer doors are locked.»

He laughed aloud at that and stepped out onto the machinery level to return his tools. He needed to hurry.

≈ ∞ ≈

©2020-2022 by kemorgan65 and RavenRock2112

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.4K 3.3K 34
After the Ship Masters arrive Violet seizes her chance to experience life beyond the Farm. She learns that a planet nestled in the stars is waiting f...
2.3K 83 17
Transported hundreds of years in the future, Jasmine Sharpe must learn to live, and cope, in a world vastly different from the time she left. Aliens...
16.2K 1.2K 25
What's life, nothing but a void canvas which we have to fill with numerous hues. And once in a while we come across people who will taint the void ca...
61.5K 592 8
It's been five years since the plague struck. Leah knows there are other survivors, but she's avoiding them. She is doing just fine on her own. Survi...