Too Late To Say Goodbye | Tom...

By helpingthemind

~1923~ In which Tommy's life seems to be falling into place. Business is expanding, the family is thriving... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
87.
88.
89.
90.
91.
92.
93.
94.
95.
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.
101.
102.
103.
104.
105.
Author's Note

29.

9.8K 294 21
By helpingthemind

The short drive to the gates was quiet.

Slowing down once Moss was in sight. He stood in front of his car, waiting for them.

Tommy put the car in park and stepped out. He offered Bella a hand, which she gladly took, and let him help her out of the car as well.

"May I introduce you to the Grand Duchess Tatiana Petrovna" Moss said as the group approached. Just then a young woman, probably around Bella's age stepped out of the car.

She kept her gaze on Tommy, only giving Bella a passing glance.

"Grand Duchess, may I introduce you to the Shelby brothers and Ms. Bella Ray."

"Why is she here?" Tatiana asked, still not looking at her

Bella rolled her eyes at this, she already didn't like this woman.

"She's an asset to the company, now give me the money." Tommy answered.

Smirking "I see" she said finally looking at Bella then back to Tommy

"I said give me the money" he pushed again

Barely shaking her head, Tatiana refused again
"I was told to give it to Mr. Kaledin"

"Whoever it is up there, he gave the wrong name." Tommy started

"We asked him the name and he gave the wrong one." Bella finished

Tatiana looked annoyed at Bella "what name did he give then?"

"No. I don't trust any of you." Tommy shook his head at her.

"Now give him the money." Bella tested her

"The money is in the car Mr. Shelby"
Tatiana finally agreed, still not acknowledging Bella.

Tommy sent Finn to grab the money from the car and had Arthur count it, while he took out a cigarette.

Tommy looked at Bella, and once she felt his stare she looked up at him. He gave her a slight nod, which she returned. He wanted to make sure she was okay.

Tatiana watched the two interact. She was curious as to what their relationship was. As far as she knew, today was his wedding day, but this woman didn't appear to be a bride.

"Yeah. We're good." Arthur said a few moments later

Just as Tommy called Moss to take her away, she spoke up again

"Can you do it?...can you kill?"she asked

Tommy looked very done with the conversation. "Moss you take the Duchess back to Birmingham" he said mockingly to her

Then he turned around, putting a hand on the bottom of Bella's back to guide her back into the car.

Bella looked over his shoulder at the Duchess one last time, giving her a warning glare, before climbing in next to Arthur.

The ride was silent again.
Bella could feel the tension in the vehicle.

Pulling back up to the front of the house, no one made a move to get out.

"So, we kill him?" Arthur spoke up from Bella's right

To her left Tommy answered "he's a red. We've been paid by the whites. It's part of the contract."

Arthur quickly got out of the car. He was upset that Tommy got involved in this.

Slamming the door, Arthur looked at the two still sitting in the car "and who shovels it? Hmmm?"

Both of them quickly followed him out of the car. Arthur was very upset, he was upset that he had to do the dirty work, like always.

Bella knew this was too soon for him.
She felt responsible.

But still she stayed quiet, this was between the brothers. Tommy grabbed the suitcase of money and shoved it into Arthur, telling him they have 10 times more coming their way.

Bella looked at her feet when Arthur got upset about the tanks. She knew He never wanted to be near one again...

"...if we fucking refuse Arthur, they will see it that we hang for one of our many sins" Tommy informed him, trying to get into his face.

Bella's head shot up at this. He's never mentioned that before.

"What?" She interrupted, stepping closer to Arthur "you never fucking mentioned that Tommy, I thought all this was just new business opportunities, Not a fuckin' threat!"

Tommy sighed "yeah well it fuckin' is. Now I have to get back inside-"

"So you want us to do the dirty work for you" she interrupts again

Tommy looked at her then, and she looked back "it's fine Tom. Just say it if it's true."

Holding her gaze a moment longer, before during to Arthur who looked back with the same look as Bella on his face.

Arthur nodded and turned to walk away, done with this conversation. Bella looked at Tommy again before turning to follow Arthur.

Tommy couldn't just let her walk away, so he reached out to grab her arm, spinning her around "Bella I'm sorry, I-"

"It's fine Tommy. But you should've told us. I've been threatened with death before"

Tommy looked at her grey eyes, and raised his eyebrows "be careful. And come find me afterwards." He asked

She nodded looking back "I will. You stay safe as well"

Then she turned to do her job.

While Tommy stood and watched as she walked away, begging that nothing went wrong.

*****

Bella stood in the hallway with Arthur. Her revolver was strapped to her leg, under her dress. And she stood watching Arthur check his bullet count for probably the 3rd time now.

"Are you sure you can do this Arth?" She asked

He took a deep breath. Just like she told him to do earlier in order to help him calm down.

He nodded "yeah sister, I can do this....now listen I know he sent us both but I don't want you involved when it happens"

She furrowed her brows and stood up straighter "what? No Arthur I want to-"

"No. Bella. Listen to me, that is my one condition." He spoke sternly to her

Seeing him this serious, she held his stare for another second before slowly nodding.

"Okay. Okay Arthur, but I'm going to stay close by, I refuse to let you go in alone."

He nodded, accepting her answer, and put his gun into his jacket. "Ready?" He asked with a sigh

She nodded, "just breath Arthur, we'll be okay."

He walked down the hall and she was right behind him.

He knew they'd be okay, they always were. But he was to take another man's life tonight. After months of begging for forgiveness from god, he hoped he could forgive him for one more...

They found Anton, alone in a lounge room with Ada. Bella didn't like the thought of Ada being alone with this man. But still she kept her business face on.

"It means, yeah we're a close family." Ada said as the two entered the room

Arthur went and sat on the empty chair, while Bella stood behind him. Ada watched with an annoyed look on her face, looking from Arthur to Bella.

Bella gave her a look, that told her drop it,

"I apologize for the interruption. There is a woman here to see you Mr. Kaledin." Arthur said

Ada almost looked hurt at the news. Looking at Bella again, who gave her a slow almost unnoticeable nod.

Anton reluctantly got up, with Bella and Arthur following him out of the room.

Bella stayed quiet as Arthur talked and lead the man to a more private section of the house.

She stayed behind the men, even when he stopped asking to use the lavatory. To which Arthur said he could piss outside.

Giving him a small push on the back, he turned to look back at Bella, smirked and then started to walk again

Only he didn't make it very far, because as soon as he got near, Arthur shoved his body against him causing Anton to to fall down the flight of stairs.

Bella rushed forwards. Only to have Arthur put his arm out, telling her to keep her distance. Then He ran down the stairs to drag the lanky man down the rest and through the hallway.

Bella Stuck to her deal with Arthur and kept her distance. She walked with her arms crossed, a few paces behind them. Watching as the man struggled against Arthur's grip. She stayed close enough in case Arthur needed help.

She was about to step in when Anton stood up and got a good grip on Arthur. But before she could do anything Arthur took a bite into his neck, sending the man screaming....

Bella raised her eyebrows in shock, she really didn't see that coming. But her shocked faded once Anton put Arthur into a head lock.

Quickly Arthur shoved his hand into mouth, causing him to scream out in pain again and let him go.

Anton dropped his gun, so Bella kicked it away out of reached before he could grab it.

Arthur stood up, held his hand out to Bella telling to her stay back again and pulled out his own gun, stubbing towards the man crawling on the ground.

"For the love of god don't" he begged

"No! No!" Arthur interrupted him, sounding like he was in pain.

Anton was trying to mess with his head. And Arthur couldn't take it. He was still trying to heal...

She stood and watched as Anton begged for his life and Arthur cried out, banging his head on the wall...

Bella couldn't stand back any longer. Reaching down she pulled her gun out of the holder on her leg. Taking the safety off as she walked.

A second later, she stood next to Arthur and pulled the trigger...ending Anton's life.

It was silent. The only thing you could hear was Arthur panting echoing around the room.

He leaned his head back against the wall in disappointment. "I'm sorry sister. Im sorry."

Turning towards him, she could easily see how distraught he was. So she stepped forwards and gave him a hug.

"It's okay Arthur. You couldn't carry the burden yet...so I'll carry it for you." She spoke into his chest

After a moment's hesitation, she felt him wrap his arms around her too, she could still feel him shaking.

"Thank you sister. I'm there now" he said with his business face on.

She nodded and pulled away "now you go find Linda and Ill find Tommy to finish this. Okay?"
She asked carefully. She didn't want to leave him if he wasn't okay yet

He nodded and the two made their way out of the basement and went their separate ways.

*****

Bella found Tommy out by the fights.

She saw the smoke fill the air around him. Walking up to his left side, she kept her face forwards.

"It's done." She told him

Upon noticing her presence, Tommy threw the cigarette to the side and fully turned to face her.

When he saw the little splatters of blood on her face, he stepped in front of her, So he can get a better look at her.

She looked up at him as he brought his hand to her face.

"Are you alright?" He asked still looking for any signs of injury

She nodded "I did it"

Tommy paused for a second "you killed him?"

"Yes. I think we pushed Arthur too fast. But I got it done. I sent some of the men to get the body to bring it out to The fire" She told him

His face was still void of any emotion "thank you Bella"

Tommy didn't like the idea of her killing someone for him. He didn't want her to feel the weight that came with it.

She nodded again. "Like I said, I always follow through"

Rubbing the pad of this thumb on her cheek one last time, he pulled her into a hug.

He rested his head on hers and she brought her arms around his trouser. This came as surprise, but after everything that happened today, he just wanted to be close to her.

"I'm sorry about earlier...this business is just a lot more dangerous than I thought and...I'm scared" she whispered to him.

"I promised I'll keep you safe. I won't let any harm come to you"

Pulling back slightly she shook her head

"don't make promises you can't keep Tommy"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

256K 8.7K 34
𝙖𝙧𝙧𝙤𝙬 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚 • 𝙖𝙡𝙨𝙤 𝙘𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚'𝙨 𝙖𝙧𝙧𝙤𝙬, 𝙞𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙘𝙚𝙥𝙩 𝙥𝙤𝙨𝙞𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙝𝙚 "𝙤𝙣𝙚-𝙬𝙖𝙮 𝙙𝙞𝙧𝙚𝙘...
26.2K 844 6
do i look like the kind of woman who dies? 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘂𝗿𝗿𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 peaky blinders: s1 tommy shelby x fem!oc time frame...
131K 2.9K 42
Emilia Weathers has worked for the Shelby family for years , but a family secret has started to draw a line between blood and money. [[ Thomas Shelby...
79.4K 2.1K 22
Before the war, when Tommy and the Shelby family were simple bookmakers that just dabbled in criminality, John was not the only one who married early...