Zombie Parade

By Sonu2314

Percy Jackson has a set of rules to survive the zombie apocalypse. These rules helped him endure the grueling... More

Prologue
1: Bang!
2: Confused
3: Stella
4: Traps
5: Strip
6: Hestia
7: Guards
8: Routine
9: Lab-Tech
10: Papers
11: Deaths
12: American Fashion
13: Truth
14: Siblings
15: Bad Idea
16: Hospital
17: Leadership
18: Welcome
19: First Steps
21: Falling
22: Outbreak
23: Soul
24: Heartbreak
25: Scratch
26: Fever
27: Hotel
28: Journey
29: Lights
30: Reunion
31: Community
32: Sacrifice
33: World
Thank You

20: Tensions

2.8K 74 53
By Sonu2314

Annabeth POV

Things became very tense in the weeks to come. There were a lot of raids happening. Sometimes, we sent multiple small groups into the city of New York. The goal was to stock up on supplies and food for a little while. That way, we can shift the guards to work on the perimeter. 

We've been having a lot more breaches lately. A few zombies here and there would break through the traps and get into the museum's perimeter. 

Of course, we always keep the museum locked. Plus, the guards on call would take care of the stray zombies. However, we need to fortify the traps again. Leo has a systemic plan to improve the perimeter traps, but we need materials to do so. 

That's why more people were going on raids. 

Right now, all the guards were congregated in the northern hallway. This is the guards' headquarters, so Chiron scheduled a meeting here. Currently, Chiron was sitting in his wheelchair on an elevated podium. Luke, Thalia, and I were standing next to him. 

"All right, everyone, I know you all are tired. Every group has come back from their raids. I hope you appreciated being able to pick your groups," Chiron announced. 

Everyone murmured in agreement even though not everyone agreed. 

"The good news is that no one has to go on a planned raid for (at least) three weeks. This is fantastic news," Luke continued. 

That made me smile. Raids are dangerous because we're going into a zombified world. It's scary to leave the relatively safe confines of the museum. Plus, everyone has made friends or has family here. It's frightening to leave them. 

My gaze wandered to Percy. He was standing near the left of the group. Every time he has to go on a raid, he worries about Stella. The fact that he's so scared to leave the baby demonstrates how much he loves her. 

A small smile was playing on Percy's lips as he looked at me. 

Why was he smiling at me? I have no idea. 

"Anyway, you all are aware that the perimeter is being breached daily. It's not a big deal, but we do need to fortify our camp," Chiron started. "Leo and I have worked out a schedule to make new traps and fix the old traps. Essentially, we want to fortify our perimeter so that zombies can't cross over anymore." 

Silence followed while everyone shifted uncomfortably. "I know tensions are rising because of the breaches. It's not easy to keep secrets in our camp," Thalia murmured. 

"However, we want to make the camp safer," I finished for her. 

Thalia tends to stray off-topic. There are a lot of things she doesn't like about camp. She doesn't like always being surrounded by people. Thalia is a wild spirit, so she likes to be independent. That's hard to do when you're constantly surrounded by others. 

After Chiron picked people for perimeter shifts, the meeting ended. 

Yes, tensions are rising. The notion of the perimeter being breached by zombies every day is a very scary thought. It'll be devasting if the zombies manage to breach the perimeter traps and the museum walls. That would be the end of this camp. 

Of course, we have several backup plans, but we don't want to lose lives. If zombies breakthrough, then lives will definitely be lost. 

"Nice speech from the leaders of the camp," someone whispered. 

A shallow breath wafted against my ears. Goosebumps spread over my arms as I turned around quickly. Percy smirked while steadying my body. I turned around so fast I almost punched him, but he was prepared for it. 

"Don't do that to people," I snapped. "You scared the hell out of me." 

"I didn't know that Annabeth Chase would scare so easily," Percy teased. "I guess I'll have to jot that down somewhere."

"Shut up, Seaweed Brain. Out of the both of us, you're the scaredy-cat."

"I AM NOT."

"YES, YOU ARE," I shouted back. We burst out laughing before turning the corner to the middle sector of the camp. We're walking to the cafeteria for dinner. 

However, some arguments broke our lively interaction. Percy and I frowned while looking down the hallway we were in. Jason and Piper were arguing little ways over. They were standing next to some ancient paintings. The disagreement looked heated. I felt bad for them both. 

Reyna seemed stronger than the both of them combined. I like Reyna a lot. Percy told me that we shared many parallel qualities, and I have to agree with him. Anyway, Reyna accepted Jason's decision to move on. The drama isn't because of Reyna. 

It's because of Jason and Piper. They simply can't seem to get on the same page. 

"Wise Girl, should we get in there?" Percy asked softly. 

"I'd rather not," I answered. 

"Yeah, me neither." 

We decided to quietly walk around the heated couple. Once we cleared them, Percy started talking again. "While Reyna moved on from Jason, I think the guilt is still nibbling at Jason's conscious. That's why he isn't being his normal self with Piper. That's where the disagreements are coming from."

"He talks to you about these things?" I commented. 

"Yeah. Believe it or not, Wise Girl, we're very close friends," Percy stated. I smiled while looking at Percy's face. Of course, he was already looking at me. 

"Well, I'm getting sick of this drama," I affirmed. 

Percy and I finally made it to the cafeteria. Many campers were already enjoying dinner. We got our trays from the rack before walking to Grover and Juniper. Juniper was feeding Stella some rice and gravy, and she was happily eating it too. 

"Thanks for taking care of Stella," Percy greeted. 

"Of course, we love her," the couple said simultaneously. Grover was holding Juniper's hand. The ring was sparkling against Juniper's pale fingers. Percy made a great choice with that ring because it matched Grover and Juniper perfectly. 

"So, any updates on the perimeter?" Grover whispered. 

Percy and I leaned in so that no one else can hear us. Grover and JUnipe are Percy's closest friends here, and Percy tells them most things. As such, they knew about what was happening. Of course, most of the camp knows of what's happening. However, Grover and Juniper know more than most. Also, Percy is a blabbermouth sometimes. 

Seriously. Percy never shuts up sometimes.  

"We're going to work on fortifying the perimeter this week. I wouldn't worry too much. We've been living here for months without any danger. It'll be fine," I stated. 

I was reassuring myself more than anyone else. 

I looked at Percy once again. He was smiling brightly while feeding Stella, who was chuckling while eating. Usually, I'm a rational person. However, Percy's influence on me is anything but rational. Our relationship is not rational. 

At this point, I can't ignore my emotions and feelings anymore. The truth is that I don't anything to happen to this camp and these people.

This is me hoping for the best. 

***

"Hey, Annabeth, do you know where the epinephrine is?" Will asked. 

"They're stored in the freezer. We're keeping the bulk epinephrine in the freezer so that they don't expire. That's fine, right?" 

Will was about to speak, but he was interrupted by the groaning zombies. I sighed before turning my attention to the zombies of the south sector. They've been getting louder recently. It's hard to explain why. 

They were locked up in cages. They can't do anything. Regardless, I don't understand why they're becoming somewhat more rambunctious. 

"Freezing the EPIs is fine. However, if we need to use them, they have to unfreeze. As such, we have to tell everyone to always have available stock," Will explained. "It's an honest oversight, and I'll make sure it doesn't happen again." 

Martha and George were writing down observations of each zombie. Currently, they were analyzing Zoe's shrieking zombie with intrigue. Then, they moved to Silena's cage. I bit the inside of my cheek before straightening my thoughts. 

They're not alive anymore. Their bodies are vessels for research. 

"You know what I think," Will stated. 

"Huh?"

"We know that zombies are more effective and violent when they're in a group. We also know that more zombies are breaching the perimeter," Will postulated. "Because the outside zombies are getting closer to the camp, these zombies are acting up." 

"You're suggesting this based on the idea that they can sense each other. Zombies don't have heightened functionality though," I commented. 

"Yeah, but they have a quite good smell and hearing."

Will was making a good point. The zombies in the south sector were becoming strangely more active after the zombies started breaching the perimeter. Luke and Leo were coordinating perimeter reconstructions, but we need to go faster. 

I felt bad for Luke at times. So many people think of him in one way only. They have polarized or extremist opinions of him. However, if they knew him as I know him, they'd understand that Luke cares and is willing to do anything to help us. For example, when Luke and I were on guard duty, he rebuilt one of the traps by himself despite the growling zombies trying to get to him. I helped keep them at bay, but still. 

"Why didn't you wait for the others?" I asked him later. Luke's response was "I didn't want to raise everyone's alarms and put them in danger. They're worried enough." 

That shows how good of a leader he is. Luke is complicated, but he's not wrong. At least, his intentions can be justified in some ways. 

"Thanks for the information, Will. How is research going?" I asked. 

"I don't know," he replied honestly. "Sometimes, I just wanna give up because of how hard and hopeless it feels." 

"Yeah. I get that too."

Just then, Bianca and Hazel came into the south sector. Nico was running behind them, and he almost crashed into his sisters. I love their sibling trio. Nico was breathing heavily, so Hazel patted his back in support while Bianca came to me and Will. 

My alarm bells were on high alert. Even though this trio knows about South Sector, they aren't allowed here unless specified. 

"What's going on?" I asked immediately. 

"It's nothing serious. However, Chiron told us to get Will quickly. One of the kids fell into an exhibit in the Native American hall. His leg is bleeding pretty bad," Bianca informed. 

"Wait, who is it? Are they okay?" 

Nico approached Will with determination. "Rather than asking questions, can you follow us to the infirmary?" Nico grouched. Electricity and tension flamed between their gazes. I looked between the two before nodding to myself. I see what's going on here. 

"Yeah, lead the way, Mr. Sunshine," Will commented to Nico. 

Will and Nico disappeared, but Bianca and Hazel didn't follow. I stared at them in confusion before telling Geoge and Martha that we were leaving too. "Why aren't you guys going with Will and Nico to the infirmary?"

"We may have exaggerated the extent of the kid's injury," Bianca shrugged. "It's just a scratch that needs a bandaid." 

"Then, why," I faltered off and nodded. 

After reading their facial expressions, I understood why. Bianca and Hazel were both smiling like they figured out a secret code. In reality, all they did was possibly set their brother up with another man. 

"Nico is shy, Annabeth. He needs help to open up to other people. Will has shown interest in Nico before, so we figured that they could spend some time together," Hazel explained. 

"In the world that we live in, Nico needs more people in your corner," Bianca affirmed. "He needs more than just his sisters."

"I completely agree."

Bianca and Hazel nodded at each other. They were great sisters for looking out for their brother, but they could've been a little more subtle. I figured out their plan in a few seconds. I was surprised that Nico didn't figure it out yet. 

Of course, boys can be oblivious. 

We took our time walking to the infirmary. I like spending time with Bianca aand Hazel. They both were such pure and kind individuals. By the time we came to the clinic, Will was already done patching up the kid's scratch. Yup, definitely exaggerated. 

However, Bianca's and Hazel's plans worked. Nico and Will were talking quietly in the corner of the infirmary. Bianca and Hazel were squealing excitedly when they saw that. While I don't gush over couples and romance, it was sweet. 

I don't know. 

Lately, my views have changed. 

Seaweed Brain made me grow as a person. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a relationship doesn't seem so bad now. 

---------------

"I don't think people understand how stressful it is to explain what's going on in your head when you don't even understand it yourself." - Unknown.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 21 13
This is a Fanfic on Percabeth. The challenges that Percy and Annabeth face, bring them closer together. They need each other through everything. They...
655K 16.2K 57
Y/N has survived 10 years alone on the run from monsters. It's a wonder how she was able to defend herself for such a long time. But eventually, the...
3.1K 44 21
what will happen if all the demigods have to live without Percy? What will poseidon do? But especially, how will Annabeth hold herself together? (th...
23.7K 1.5K 58
❛𝐿♡𝓋𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓎❤𝓊 𝒾𝓈 𝒶 𝓵𝓸𝓼𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓰𝓪𝓶𝓮 ★ ↠ Percy Jackson is sick and tired. Ever since Annabeth Chase dropped her massive hit song, Percy h...