Too Late To Say Goodbye | Tom...

By helpingthemind

~1923~ In which Tommy's life seems to be falling into place. Business is expanding, the family is thriving... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
87.
88.
89.
90.
91.
92.
93.
94.
95.
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.
101.
102.
103.
104.
105.
Author's Note

28.

9.9K 289 7
By helpingthemind

Arthur's speech didn't go as smoothly as she hoped.

It was awkward and forced and anyone could tell how nervous he was up there. He walked out with Linda shortly after Tommy interrupted him. Who then quickly followed behind the couple.

Around her, all the guests started to stand up and make their way into the ballroom, for the rest of the nights activities.

Instead of joining them, Bella decided to make her way outside to check on the brothers.

What she found was not what she was expecting. Standing on top of the stairs, with her hands on her hips and an amused smile on her face. She watched the two brothers chase each other around the fountain.

That was until Arthur hurt his knee and started crying out in pain.

"You boys can't be left alone for five minutes ehh?" She called out to them. Causing Tommy to stop and look up at her, making his way over to her.

"Everything alright Bella?" He asked once he got closer, checking her over for any injuries

Nodding up at him, "yes. Is everything alright here?" She asked while gesturing towards Arthur who was still complaining and talking about how he reached his drinking limit

"Yes." He answered and turned back to Arthur.

Bella listened as Tommy told him that he needed him. That the title of the day really didn't matter much.

"...you're my best man everyday Arthur."  He finished

Bella smiled as she watched them.

"Look I need you two to find John and sober him up. The Russians have made contact and it's time to start business" Tommy said and pointed at Bella and then Arthur "and you. don't. leave. His. side."

"Okay Tommy" Bella answered, she could tell how stressed he was. The day in general had him worn out and now the Russian business has started, leaving him flustered. She'll do whatever she needs to in order to help him, she was glad he trusted her to be involved. Tommy turned to go down the hall with the rest of the guests.

Bella then turned to the man next to her, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Are you really okay Arthur?"

Still slightly out of breath "ya sister im alright"

Giving him a reassuring smile "if it means anything, I liked your speech."

Scoffing at her comment. She nodded her head with a smile
"No really! If I ever get married I want you to speak at it as well!"

"Lookin' forward to it Bell. Now come we have John boy to find" he said trying to move away from the conversation

Giggling she followed him.

*****

After finding John and gathering the rest of the Peaky boys. Tommy ordered to start a horse race, in order for a distraction.

The Russian, Anton Kaledin, is suppose to meet them in the stables. He's suppose to come with a good deal of money. It was our job to to make sure he comes unarmed.

Bella leaned against the wall next to Arthur. With John a few feet away smoking a cigar.

Bella felt Arthur look over at her. She looked up at him, waiting for him say something.

"You know what's going on here?" He asked

She hesitated. "He was going to tell the family after the wedding. They came sooner than Expected,...he only just told Polly tonight too."

"Fuckin' hell" John scoffed after hearing her reasoning.

Before anything else could be said, a tall lanky middle aged man walked in. He looked to his right at her, giving her a smirk. She continued to keep a straight face.

"Oh, you found it" Arthur said trying to get his attention off of Bella. "We nearly gave up"

Anton stopped between the brothers and held his hands out, showing that he had no weapons on him

"Did he tell you what my business with him is?" He asked

The two brother were silent. "He did" Bella spoke as Arthur started go pat him down

The man looked over at her again, with the small smirk and nod "rather have you pat me down love" he said to which Bella rolled her eyes.

"I wonder, why does he trust this young lady more than his brothers?"

Bella glared at him. He was trying to get a rise out the two boys.

Just as one of them was about to snap a deep voice came from further inside the stables.

"Go watch the race, Boys!" Tommy called. Bella looked down the hall at him. He gave her a slight nod telling her to join his brothers, that he'll be okay

"The Turks clean" Arthur yelled back

Anton looked offended for a second before turning to Arthur
"I am Russian."

Arthur got close to his face "same fucking thing" he said causing Bella to laugh a little.

Anton gave him one last annoyed look and started making his way towards Tommy. Who gave her another look, then held eye contact with the tall man.

Bella watched for another second, before John placed his hand on her back. "Cmon. We got a race to watch!" He said guiding her in the direction of the men.

They were all cheering waiting for the horses to run by. But Bella couldn't concentrate on that. She bit her thumb nail, waiting under a tree continuously looking back at the stables.

She didn't want to leave Tommy alone.

Even if Anton didn't have any weapons on him, she didn't trust him.

Soon enough she saw Tommy exit. Before he could make it over to the men, Bella already ran towards him. Once close enough, she placed her hands on both sides of his face, looking for any damage.

He could see the concern in her eyes. "I'm alright, peach"

Still not letting up "what did he say? Did you get the money? Are you alright?" She asked too many questions at once

Tommy grabbed her wrists, bringing them away from his face, and leaned in a little closer to her "I'm alright. No, no money yet. We have to meet the duchess at 10 for it"

Bella furrowed her brows. "She's coming here?"

Tommy sighed and nodded "at the gates. Now listen, I have to keep making appearances inside. Don't want to worry the guests. I want you to stay insid-"

"No." She shook her head "I'm helping Tommy. I'm not sitting this one out."

Tommy looked into her eyes. He wanted to make sure she was safe. But she was smart and would be a good asset to the plan.

Hesitantly he nodded in agreement, Eyeing her "okay. But I need you to stay with Arthur, ya hear me?"

She nodded.

They approached the rest of the group, just as the horses came flying by.

"Fuckin beautiful horse Tom" Arthur said as he and John joined the couple.

"Listen, tell Johnny dogs to light a fire in the woods, one big enough to take meat...And tell Finn to watch the gate, Moss is bringing someone" he told the men

She watched him make his way back towards the house. Twisting his ring on her right hand.

Part of her was glad that the Russian business started tonight. She didn't want to have to watch him and Grace any longer. It hurt too much.

She turned back to the boys, "alright you blokes, you heard the man!"

John shook his head in amusement, "bloody hell, you're turning into him"

Shoving him in the direction of Johnny Dogs, "shut it John!"

*****

Once everything was in place, Arthur went to go back inside. It was time for the couples first dance.

Bella couldn't take it, so she decided to wait outside with John by the car.

John leaned against the car, and Bella stood a few feet away with her arms crossed over her chest.

"You were meant to be apart of this family" she heard John say after some silence

Turning her head to look him, she moved some of her fallen hair out of her face

"What?" She asked

"I said you're meant to be apart of this family. You accept what we do and even want to be apart of it. You're good at this. Not many people can do, what we do. We all trust you...'pecially Tom. And that means something"

Bella looked over his face for any signs of fibbing. He was being sincere.

"Thank you John. That really means a lot" 

Inside Tommy was dancing with Grace. She wanted him to promise no more of this business. That she was going to run the foundation and he could run the races and sell cars.

Pursing his lips, he knew he couldn't make that promise. Like Bella, this life style gave him control over his mind.

Bella would never ask this of him.

He was silent for a moment, he's already broken a lot of their wedding vows, what's one more?

"I promise"
Then looked over her shoulder, he saw Arthur and Isiah waiting for him. Where was Bella?

He didn't like not knowing exactly where she was during all this. She was suppose to stay with Arthur.
He really wanted her by his side, but it was his wedding night with Grace, and that just wasn't possible.

"I love you Thomas Shelby" Grace said

He heard her but his mind was else where. His mind was on the woman who he was dancing with the night before.

Zoning back in he looked at her, "I promise I will make us safe" He said to her as everyone else started to dance as well.

This was his queue to leave. Giving her a quick closed lip smile, he signaled to the men.

They followed him outside, where Bella, John and Finn were waiting for them.

He went straight up to Bella, not being able to deny the feeling of relief he got when he saw her. "You were suppose to stay with Arthur" he spoke sternly at her and the men got into the car in order to give them a moment alone.

She bit her lip. He was upset with her. She knew she promised to stay with Arthur...
"Im sorry but I was with John. I just-"

"You just what? I told you to-"

Furrowing her brows at him "I just didn't want to watch you dance with Grace"

Tommy fell silent. The two looked at each other for a few moments.
He thought about how he would feel if the situation was reversed.

Eventually he nodded and opened his mouth to say something. But Bella quickly interrupted him and placed a hand on his chest.
"Dont. We have business to take care of. Stop worrying about me tonight."

Again Tommy didn't like that. He would worry about her, even though he knew she could take care of herself.

But still he nodded, and  guided her into the car.

They had a duchess to meet.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.2K 844 6
do i look like the kind of woman who dies? π—Ώπ—²π˜€π˜‚π—Ώπ—Ώπ—²π—°π˜π—Άπ—Όπ—» peaky blinders: s1 tommy shelby x fem!oc time frame...
10.8K 486 8
THE WILDEST OF THEM ALL - a Peaky Blinders fanfiction -IN WHICH all sorts of things happen, at home and outside, every day, but Darcy doesn't recall...
131K 2.9K 42
Emilia Weathers has worked for the Shelby family for years , but a family secret has started to draw a line between blood and money. [[ Thomas Shelby...
919 24 12
Olive Shelby spends her whole life following the orders of her older brothers. The day of her brother John's funeral, she makes a decision of her own...