THE MASKED GIRL

By Khadija_Kende

She is a girl. A muslimah. Hausa by identity. Masked. Into army. All for a certain reason, a reason know... More

A/N
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
Epilogue

9

81 12 2
By Khadija_Kende

Third person's pov

She was taken back to her room after some injections. The barrack already knew about her psychedelic. The entire time no one removed her mask.

She woke up after some hours. And the first thing she did was ensure she was still masked. She tried to recall what happened cause she knew she didn't lay to sleep and when she couldn't she stood to do something. She checked the time and it reads 03:30 am.

She is used to forgetting what happened but it has been long since last she hallucinates. It is just like a person who is possessed by Jinn. You don't know what happened when it took over, but you know something did happen but you can't tell or recall. That is what happened to her whenever she hallucinates. So she did what her therapist asked her to do each time it happened. She should keep herself busy by doing other things. She prayed two raka'ahs then say some duas.

She prayed for her mission, she prayed for more strength and endurance. She prayed for him, she prayed for Suhail and she remembered what happened. The ride, flashback, Aliyu, and then she fainted. She hallucinated again. She hoped he didn't remove her mask, if he did that means he saw her scar. If he saw it then he will surely ask her how she got it and that is something she don't want to have a memory of ever again.

Just seeing it is a lot of burden, not to talk of telling how she got it. This is why she wears a mask, it serves as her shield. It became her identity. She hasn't stayed without a mask on for almost two years now. She has gotten used to it that she only removes it for three things. She hates seeing the scar. She doesn't look in the mirror anymore. She even sleeps with her mask on. Her mother tried to stop her but it has become a part of her.

That was the physical scar, she had a lot of scars that are buried deep in her mind. The feeling of a hand groping her body would forever be imprinted beneath her skin it will always haunt her.

She hopes that no one has seen her face, her scar. And all this wouldn't be happening if he was still here. She has been dead since he left.

Two days passed. She wasn't out for two days. Aliyu had been taking food to her door and always end up taking it back untouched. He knocked and talked but she don't respond. He has been restless since then.

"Man she is fine" Yusuf said to him while they were taking lunch. Aliyu had become a huge mess the past two days. "You need to stop worrying"

Aliyu sighed.

"I just want to be sure that she is"

He didn't have the appetite to eat so he decided to go to the field for fresh air and away from the crowd. It was their lunch break the field will be empty. He stood to go and when he turned their eyes locked. She is out of her room, he smiled immediately feeling the feeling he is used to having around her but doesn't know what it is. They stared at each other as he walked towards her. Only when he was close enough did he notice the visiting officer behind her. This means someone is here to visit her.

Her parents were alerted after what happened at the park two days ago and they rushed immediately to see their daughter.

Alhaji Usman and his wife Hajiya Eehma were seated on the chairs in the visiting room waiting for their daughter as an officer was sent to call her.

She hugged her father immediately after she entered the room, she has always been a daddy's girl. She then hugged her mother and started crying.

"I had a flashback again" She said in between tears. "Everything was so real".

Her parents comforted her. They shared a group hug as she shed tears on their shoulders. They allowed her to let it all out. They took their time before they started talking with sobs here and there.

They said a father's love is higher than the mountain and a mother's love is deeper than the sea.

"How many more months do you have?" Her mother asked cleaning the tears off her face.

"Five"

Her mother sighed complaining and emphasizing how worried she is and the sleepless nights she has been having knowing her daughter is in a strange place and how she can't go on another five months without her.

"Do you have to stay?" She started. "I think you have been with people enough to go back to being you right Alhaji" She finished asking her husband for support.

"She will be back before you know it and it's helping her recover" Her father explained.

"You always take her side and let her do what she wants"

After a lot of going back and forth about her staying or not. They feed one another on life and how things had been going. Time is short when you are happy. Their allocated time was up and they had to go. It was then she noticed how wet her mask had gotten with tears. She cannot wear it again. She removed it and looked in the mirror. Her eyes were red and puffy and her face do show all the signs that she had cried her life out and her scar was visible as always. She cannot face others in her condition and she wouldn't be allowed back to her room till after practice. The only way is for her to stay in the restroom till everything is over. But how can she go to the restroom without being seen?

She covered her face with her palms the kind of way we do when saying dua. She walked out hoping to not meet anyone on the way, especially Aliyu. And then she felt bad for ignoring him the past two days he was just being caring. He brought lunch and dinner to her door and stay there asking her to open up till the bell rings and he will go only to come back again and plead with her again.

Aliyu saw her as she walked to the restroom. He saw how she covered her face with her hands. He wonder what happened to her mask. But this is his chance to serve as her prince in shining armor and save her. He happens to have a mask with him so he decided to take it to her. He knew he isn't allowed in the female rest room but he is taking the risk for her. She panicked a little when she saw him, her palms still on her face. He stared at her blood-red eyes. Anyway, he did what took him there. He gave her the mask.

"It's new"

He declared before going out.

If someone told her in the beginning that Aliyu will be this caring she will never agree. It is the same Aliyu that hates her. The same Aliyu that makes her do the hardest exercises. The same Aliyu that didn't want her on his team. It is the same Aliyu that brings her food. The same Aliyu that cares for her. The same Aliyu that gives her a face mask so she will not miss practice.

He felt a sense of satisfaction and pride when he saw her with the mask. The exercise was exhausting, she cried more than normal today it was because she was emotional so the smallest thing made her shed tears.

After the practice, to mark the beginning of the white phase, they moved to the hall where they will be rightfully and lawfully recognise as soldiers. She can't help but felt lucky that Aliyu saved her If not she would have missed this which will have been a big mess to her plan.

They were called one after the other to receive their sign of recognition. She was beyond happy after receiving her badge, she is lawfully a soldier. She made it, this was her reason for being here. Their team was recognized as the best among others and they received a lot of appreciation. They were dismissed all after that.

The general called for Aliyu's attention when they were leaving. He gave her his badge and asked her to wait for him which was not what she had in mind but for some reason she did. She was standing close to where they were so she pretty much heard everything they talked about. The general was asking him how he was feeling after taking the training, and whether he will move on this time. She saw how his mood changed after the general asked him. This was the first time she saw him sad. She feel that their conversation is getting private so she left the hall to give them space.

He came out a bit glum but smiled after seeing her. "I thought you left"

She nodded her head no.

"Let's go to the field" He stretched his hand out for her to hold and she did.

They walked to the field and sat on one of the benches. It was empty as almost everyone was rejoicing their success inside. They sat in comfortable silence, their hands still locked. She has never seen this side of him, he is always either quiet, bossy, annoying, or caring. But something is troubling him he seems vulnerable. He let go of her hand and buries his face in his hands. The next thing he did shocked her, she know men cry but she never thought he will.

His cries are different from the ones she had ever heard. There is a feeling of rawness in them. It is like the tears that had been delayed and got their escape after what felt like years of accumulated grief that had never been spoken.

She did what her Dad always does to her when she cried to him. She hugged him, he need a shoulder to cry on. She gave him her shoulder.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 946 26
In a world devastated by loss and hardship, a young couple fights against the odds to find hope and reclaim their life. Haunted by the painful memor...
64 81 34
She didn't though the things will going like this. The smiles and warm hugs just tricked her and fall into the lies, the tears on her eyes can't sho...
2.3K 84 8
A TALE OF ACCEPTANCE OF IMPERFECTIONS. ______________________________________ She loved him but not anymore. He never loved her but he is falling for...
109K 8.7K 38
"It is forbidden for a reason, young one. Love makes you weak, a fraction of yourself. It keeps you from being the best you can be and that is why we...