Kotlc Oneshots [Parts 1-13 Pr...

By Ohwowhatethis

A collection of my kotlc oneshots. Adding to this every time I write a new one, so the newer the chapter the... More

Elwin's House
Pet shop Kam
Game Night Bonding
The Night
What cost?
The Party
Let me go
Tam Can't Bake
Sick Day
They're gay disasters your honor
Smokey Skies and Pretty Fires
Kam Secret Santa fic
Game night bonding 2: [uh oh monopoly]
Rainy Days
Cowboys are frequently secretly fond of each other

Elwin's House - Revised

177 2 0
By Ohwowhatethis

A/N: Woah, hey, it's another fic!

I haven't written fic in months. I must admit, I've been focused on school and my own writing projects. I also just fell a bit out of love with keeper for a while, life gets busy.

But then I noticed I was really close to 500 followers on Tumblr! And, I mean, that felt like a big milestone. For a number of reasons, mostly Tumblr's hellsite-ness, I haven't hit 500 yet. Even though I was like three away. Two separate times. 

*sigh*

Anyway.

I decided to post the fic I wrote in celebration anyway.

This is a revised version of the very first fic I ever wrote. It has the same premise, but not the same plot. I wrote it with the idea of "How would I write this if I settled on the idea today?"

And this was the answer

By the way, if you haven't read that first fic... uh, please don't lol. It's pretty bad. But I've gotten better. If you want to read it for comparison sake then go for it, but you by all means do not have to.

Sorry for the essay, let's get into it.

~

Word count: 2,023

Pairings: Keefex

Category: light angst

TW: Some cursing

Other: Dadwin :), also this isn't particularly polished, but it's still way better than the original

~

 Keefe stood at the base of Elwin's expansive house, the familiar scent already wrapping his senses in a comforting hug. Strong woody forest on one side and salty ocean on the other, mixing to create a smell he suspected would typically only be found in candles. The sun, only barely in the sky, shown bright through the rainbow glass panes of the building.

The chilly air which surrounded Splendor Plains drove him to start his journey inside faster than his nerves wanted. He was hesitant to actually venture into the home, even though he came here specifically for support after...

Yes, there was the reminder, how could he forget?

The memory sent another sharp pain to his heart.

It had only been an hour ago. Keefe sitting under the panakes. Tears streaming from his face, just as they did now.

He pushed the memory down again, forcing himself to take one more step to the door. One led to two led to three, as eventually the beautiful colors of Elwin's sleek walls reflected on Keefe's face. Now he was in arms length of the doorknob, hands refusing to move from his sides.

The wind started picking up, blowing mist from the sea into his eyes and chilling him deeper, right past his skin – into his bones. He was half way sure the aforementioned tears were going to start freezing right on his cheeks.

Okay, he said to himself, on three.

One,

God, I wish I didn't have to do this.

Two,

I don't want to burden Elwin.

Three,

And the door's opening! Okay!

He pushed it open, his own hand defying the anxious part of his brain.

He croaked out a hasty, "Elwin?" to which there was no response. Keefe hoped the fact that Elwin often said he was always welcome extended to when Elwin didn't seem to be home.

"... Elwin?"

Still no response.

Carefully, Keefe picked through the sparse rooms, feeling bad for leaving footprints on the clear glass which showed Bullhorn's personal tubes through the house.

Finally, he reached the El Dorado of Elwin's home.

His absolute gold mine of unique stuffed animals.

It was one of the few completely Elwin-ified rooms in the whole place. Like he had too little time at home to decorate the entire house, and instead had to focus on just one room.

And within the room, Keefe found the man himself.

"Elwin!"

"AH!" he whipped around, "Oh, kid, you scared me. I didn't hear you."

He was dressed as eccentrically as usual, tunic spattered with colorful dinosaurs.

"Sorry, I didn't mean- well- I just-"

Luckily and unluckily, Elwin now noticed the leftover tear-streaks which stained Keefe's cheeks.

"Keefe, are you okay?"

Here comes the waterworks, he thought.

And there they came indeed.

"I-I was- I-"

"Hey, hey, let's sit down alright?"

Elwin gently led him across the room to a small couch.

"Talk when you're ready," he said, a supportive arm draped across Keefe's shoulder.

It was another few moments before Keefe could speak without it coming out a blubbering mess.

"I was... we were at Havenfield. Black Swan stuff, it took all night. I was with Dex under the Panakes... It was, I mean, it was perfect. And we were both tired, half delirious, really. And I told him... something I maybe shouldn't have."

There was a pause.

"And?" prompted Elwin.

"He didn't say anything. He ran away. I went home, tried to take a nap, but the exhaustion wouldn't let me stop crying. I came here."

"I don't mean to pry, not if you don't feel comfortable, but may I ask what you told him?"

"You won't tell anyone else?"

"Wouldn't dream of it," Elwin confirmed. And Keefe believed him.

"I've... liked him for a while. So I told him. I wouldn't have any other day, but my decision making skills aren't at their best right now. Not that they are usually, I guess."

"Oh, Keefe," Elwin said, pulling him into a hug, which Keefe gratefully accepted.

Suddenly, the tears which inconveniently leaked from his eyes had returned. He silently vowed to himself not to go a full night without sleep ever again.

"It's okay, you're okay," Elwin said, as Keefe cried for the countless time that day.

It wasn't serious. It shouldn't have been serious. He just hadn't realized how deep he had fallen, how badly he had wanted reciprocation. Part of him said he should've waited, or that he never should've said anything at all; it said that everything was ruined now.

The other part of him said it would've come out eventually, one way or another. That the boy Keefe had fallen in love with would push past a simple crush and not let it hurt their friendship.

That almost made it worse.

And he was so damn tired. So, so goddamn tired. His brain wasn't rational, the tears just refused to stop.

"It's so stupid," he managed against Elwin's shoulder through one of his sobs.

"It's not stupid, Keefe."

After the weeping had slowed down, Elwin gently pulled away to look in Keefe's face.

"Everyone has their heartbreak. I'm sorry it happened to you like this, with such a close friend. Nothing about your feelings is stupid. You have a right to mourn this and cry as much as you need to. Stay here, I'll get some water. Feel free to pick out a stuffie, you have many options."

A small crack of a smile emerged from Keefe's face at this.

Keefe picked a small gremlin from the extensive selection Elwin had collected.

Gremlins. They dismantled technology. Technology. Dex. Dammit.

More tears. Fuck.

This was the state in which Elwin found him, sobbing again, this time holding a perpetually-smiling lop-sided gremlin plush.

Gently, he handed Keefe the glass, graciously not mentioning the weeping.

Elwin took Keefe back up into his arms, so fatherly the act itself made Keefe cry even harder.

Eventually, this round slowed as well. Elwin pulled away again.

"You okay?" Elwin asked.

"-Ish."

"That'll have to be enough, I guess."

This earned another ghost of a smile from Keefe.

"Do you want to talk more about it? I've been there, kid, I'll understand. I promise."

"He's just a boy. I know that. It just... it all feels like so much right now. I probably need sleep."

"You definitely need sleep. Your cells are probably crying right now."

Keefe laughed, a real, true, good laugh, for the first time that day.

"Just as much as me?"

"More."

Another laugh.

"Hey," said Elwin, "let's get you to a room. Take a nap with your new friend."

He motioned to the gremlin.

"Well, he's no Mrs. Stinkbottom, but I guess he'll do."

"That'a boy," Elwin said, leading Keefe into standing and guiding him out of the room.

Keefe glanced out the clear hallway wall-window in passing, noting that it had started raining hard in the last few minutes.

And then he looked again.

"Oh..."

Right on Elwin's lawn, glancing around like a lost puppy, stood Dex.

"Keefe, what's- ah," said Elwin, following Keefe's line of sight.

He looked pitiful out there, standing in the rain, hair dripping water on his face. He looked up, spotting Keefe staring slack-jawed.

Dex said something inaudible to Keefe and Elwin, but he seemed desperate as he ran up to the front door.

They both stood there, stunned, until there was pounding at the door. Elwin moved first, rushing down the hall, Keefe starting a second after him.

By the time they reached the front hall and Elwin wrenched open the door, Dex was positively drenched from head to toe.

"Keefe! Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I was looking everywhere for you, I just-"

"Hey, hey, hey," Elwin stopped him, "take it slow. Come in, you're gonna get hypothermia out there."

Dex obliged, making a futile attempt to wipe his feet as the rest of him dripped water on the glass floor.

Keefe said nothing. He didn't think he could form words.

"Keefe," said Dex, "I... I don't even know where to start."

There was a lull, prompting Elwin to cut in again.

"Let's start with me finding you a towel, alright? Try not to sit on anything for a minute, I'll be quick."

Elwin ventured off and Keefe continued to stare blankly in Dex's general direction.

"I'm sorry," Dex said at last, "I shouldn't have run off like that. I was... scared, I guess. I'd never thought that I might've- that you might've- ugh, I'm bad at this."

He rubbed his face, clearly trying to collect his thoughts.

"I'm sorry," Keefe dragged from his mouth, "I didn't think you'd like me back, it was just hope. I knew you were straight, I just shouldn't have said anything. We never have to talk about this ever, okay? Or you can just stop talking to me, I don't want you to be uncomfortable-"

"No! No, that's not it at all. I just didn't think I could... I didn't think I could like you, at first. I didn't think it was... an option? But- but then you said you liked me and I freaked out, because it made me realize that I could like you. And then that just opened up a whole other door of panic, because everything made sense all of the sudden, and I just anxiety-ran home."

"What are you saying?"

"I think I like you, too. I'm pretty sure actually. I'm pretty sure I have for a while, but I've been denying it. I never really thought... I mean, I knew other guys could like guys but I didn't think I could? But, when you said it something just opened in my brain and I thought about how much I like spending time with you, and how you're all smart and funny and, well, uh, nice looking. And it was all so much."

"Hey, Dex?"

"Yeah?"

"Your face is as red as a tomato right now."

He laughed, tension in his face suddenly breaking.

"What do you expect? I've been to hell and back looking for you. Went through half of candleshade, no joke."

"Ah, yes, because I'd love to hang out with my dad's creepy statue."

"Who knows? You get funky when you're angsty."

"I'm not angsty."

"Your eyes are red and you're clutching a gremlin."

"Hm. Touche."

Dex laughed again, cheeks dimpling in a way that Keefe couldn't tear his eyes from.

On impulse, he stepped forward, wrapping Dex up in a hug.

"Hey, Keefe?"

Keefe pulled away enough to look in Dex's face.

"Ye-"

He was cut off by Dex's lips on his, surprise fading to joy as he melted into the kiss.

"Hey, I got the- oh! Sorry, sorry-"

They broke apart, faces deeply flushed as Elwin walked in with a stack of towels.

"I'll just uh, leave these here, and go do something else now. Away from this room. Bye! Glad you've made up!"

He walked out as quick as his feet would carry him without running.

"Oh, jeez," Keefe said, letting his forehead drop onto Dex's shoulder to hide his pink face.

"Okay, note to self, maybe be in a private place next time we kiss."

"Mm," Keefe looked up, "How soon is next time?" he asked, quirking a brow.

"I- uh, when do you want it to be?"

"Now works," he said, leaning back in and joining their lips once more.

They stayed like that for as long as they dared, pulling back when they both finally needed air and the risk of Elwin walking in again was too great.

Keefe unwound his arms from Dex's waist, mostly to avoid the temptation of immediately kissing him again.

"One, uh, serious question."

"Yeah?" asked Dex.

"How open are we gonna be about this to our friends? Like, on a scale from never talking to each other to constant PDA."

"Maybe we should wait a little before we tell them."

"But we will tell them eventually, yeah?"

"Yes, yeah, for sure. Just... for now it can be our little secret."

"Yeah, just me, you, and Elwin."

"Hey, what happens in Elwin's house, stays in Elwin's house."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 26 26
This is a Keeper of the Lost Cities oneshots book! All Kotlc characters belong to the lovely Shannon Messenger, This book contains LGBTQIA+ ships, a...
154K 3.1K 200
Just a few moments from KOTLC where I wanted things to end differently, some one-shots for ships that didn't make it in my main story, and some chapt...
46.8K 729 46
"I hope in the end, it's a love story." Sokeefe one-shots, start out with chronological chapters but switches to oneshots Wrote this when I was 12 so...