Tales of Onoris (Book 1)

By RaphThegreat

"Darkness is rising in the continent of Onoris." Noble boy, Zarek Rheatonsey, the scarlet-eyed devil, is sent... More

Disclaimer
Map of Onoris
Prologue
Chapter 1: Castle In The Snow
Chapter 2: Tower of the Sacred Hand
Chapter 3: Ceremony Of The Sacred Hand
Chapter 4: HeolstorFlod Forest
Chapter 5: Apostles of Nekulla
Chapter 6
Chapter 7: Despair
Chapter 8: The Council
Chapter 9: Hunter-Assassin Regiment
Chapter 10: Reinhold's Manor (Part 1)
Chapter 11: Reinhold's Manor (Part 2)
Chapter 12: Mud and Blood Money (Part 1)
Chapter 13: An unexpected kiss
Chapter14: Mud and Blood Money (Part 2)
Chapter 15: Mud and Blood Money (Part 3)
Chapter 17: You'll rest when you're dead
Chapter 18: A New Mission
Chapter 19: Hell On Earth

Chapter 16: A Familiar Face

16 13 0
By RaphThegreat

Shael stood behind the burly man with furrowed eyebrows, waiting on me to make a move. With a nod to Shael, she unsheathed her weapon and swung at Abbadon. He blocked her attack with ease. The men that accompanied--- Abbadon–--seven in total, charged at me. My heart began to race. I took one of the weapons that lay next to the man I killed. I twirled the original weapon I held in my right hand and attacked furiously.

From the top, one of the men attacked. I blocked and his weapon raked against mine, causing a brief burst of sparks. I was on the defensive. Their weapons pound against mine making–my muscles become weary. The only thing saving me was the deep well of mana within me. I used it to replenish my stamina and strengthen my arms.

 Still, I was being pushed back. Foolishly, but to my advantage, one of the men charged ahead of his group thinking he could land a fatal blow; I was going to punish him for his mistake. The man struck from overhead but with my second sword, I stopped it. With a powerful thrust, I shoved my weapon deep into the man's stomach. He cried out in pain as I twist the sword. The man screamed in agony; music to my ears. With a last release of breath, blood emerged from the man's mouth before dropping to the floor.

The men that accompanied him stood in guard stances, cautious of me. I smiled sinisterly, pointing my second weapon at him. "Don't be shy!" I said, "Come at me!" I would soon regret antagonizing them. Their attacks were delivered elegantly and brutally. I was kicked and punched all while trying to avoid the sharp sting of their weapons.

My anger began to grow, but it was not an uncontrollable fury, that limited my ability to attack expertly. This anger ran through my body adding speed and ferocity to my attacks. While fighting, I began to think. How dare these traitors invade my land, and conduct illegal activity all while trying to take my life in the process? I thought Indignantly.

It was me, against six men. But my will to fight was enough to contest with them. I leaped back making one of the men who dashed his weapon towards me stumble. With a determined swing, I opened the man's throat with my weapon. Blood gargled as he dropped to the floor gasping.

The men lunged at me. One by one I dealt with them ruthlessly. One man assaulted my left flank. With the weapon in my left hand, I obstructed his attack. And with my right sword, I shoved it into his eye. The man dropped his weapon hopping and screaming as he held his eye.

Four of the men were left standing. With this advantage, I increased my offensive. I scythed from left to right. I kicked one of the men, hard and fast. The man let out a grunt as he staggered back and fell over some crates. An overhead head strike sent my sword deep into the shoulder of the man close to me. A cruel thug unstuck my weapon from his shoulder. The man switched his weapon and stepped back. Blood streamed down his arm and chest matting his clothes with blood.

 I was about to end him when he pleaded for mercy. "Wait! I beg ya, don't kill us. Let us walk away, you'll never see us in ya sights again!" The man shouted. His companions all looked at him and then at me lowering their weapons. From the entrance of the alley, I could hear Shael fighting with Abbadon. Letting them escape would be honorable since they surrendered. But something snapped within me and in a fit of rage, I swung my weapon killing the man who begged for mercy. He was sprawled lifeless at my feet.

The men looked on in horror. They were going to fight back, but I wouldn't allow them the chance. Cold-bloodedly, I cut them down swiftly.

I swung my sword letting the blood that was stained thickly on it paint the ground. I paused, taking my time to process the bloodbath I unleashed in this alley. The metallic scent of blood was heavy in the air.

No sympathy, none at all I felt.

The sound of swords clashing was unending and furious. I ran to the end of the alley. I looked to my left, then right. Shael was fighting Abbadon but with difficulty. I ran fast hoping to land a sneak attack. Shael was on her knees; with nothing she could do under the glittering claymore of Abbadon. With sheer force of will, aided by my magic, I came in between Shael and his weapon. He stared at my weapon before stepping back.

I reached for Shael while keeping an eye on Abbadon. "Are you alright?" I asked concerned. Shael grabbed my arm and pulled rising to her feet. "Let's hurry, and kill the bastard!" Shael said angrily while gripping her weapon with both hands. Wasting no time, we lunged forward driving Abbadon back. We hacked away but his strong defense prevented us from landing a lethal blow. Shael attacked at his head, but expertly, Abbadon dodged and slammed his fist into her face.

 Shael reeled backward holding her face. Blood ran down her nose. My attention was turned to Shael. She held her mouth in pain. At this moment, my mind returned to Heolstoflod forest. Vividly, I could see everything. I could see my friend's bodies lying in the dirt. I could see Shael passing out after killing all those men. Fear and anger began to take over. Never againwould I allow anyone to die!

Abbadon struck ferociously. I ducked; his weapon passing harmlessly over my head. I screamed in anger swinging my weapon at him. My weapon pounded against his, he stepped back and I kept striking. The clanging of the swords almost deafened me.

 Out of the blue, Abbadon counter-attacked. He was big, but he moved fast. I delivered my last strike. He dashed for me without consideration for himself. My sword cut his shoulder but he was already close to me. I felt his fist sink into my stomach. And I was flying. I was launched. I slammed to the ground knocking the air from my body.

I slowly arose but fell to the ground once more. I clutched my stomach as the pain crept around maximizing its effect. I wanted to vomit, but the only thing that exited my mouth was thick saliva. I stabbed my sword toward the ground and arose to my feet.

 Shael ran away leaving her sword behind and holding her face. "Shael!" I shouted Confused. She didn't turn to answer me. Abbadon broke out in laughter while walking to me. "Seems like your little friend left you," he said tauntingly.

I grit my teeth and ignored the pain, but it still didn't stop it from hurting. I took a defensive stance. Abbadon's walk turned into a run, and he bull-rushed toward me. I stabbed but he deflected it, leaving me open. I wasn't done yet. I grabbed my dagger and threw it at him. The dagger dug into his shoulder but he didn't even budge.

He grabbed me by the throat and squeezed. My adrenaline began to flow. Quickly, my hearing was tunnel-like. I began to hear popping and ringing. My limbs began to feel limp and my vision was slowly going black.

As the blackness began to take over my eyes. I heard a muffled scream and the sound of metal scraping. My vision was coming back slowly. From the blurriness, two people fought savagely. Soon enough, I realized it was Shael. She was blocking the attacks from Abbadon who was swinging at her ferociously. A sword was impaled on his left side. He grunted and huffed as he began to scythe at her in desperation.

He cocked back his hand and swung at Shael knocking her to the ground. He could've attacked again, but instead, he dropped to his feet propping himself with his sword, breathing heavily.

I arose coughing and trying to comfort a sore throat. I picked up my sword and walked toward Abbadon. I picked up my pace. I raised my sword and brought it down on his shoulder. Quickly, Abbadon evaded and struck my face knocking the rose band from my eyes. My vision was filled with a bright light, I dropped to the ground. My vision coming back once more.

 "You coward! You elven whore! What did you do to me?" He asked Shael.

He coughed up blood and gasped for air rapidly. Shael got up. "That was a sword coated in Ataxia." Shael smiled and laughed. "It hurts, doesn't it? It is going to eat you from the inside out...and I'm going to enjoy your suffering."

Abbadon screamed in agony. He outstretched his right arm, and to my horror, a black cloud began to surround his hand. I remembered the Skull Knight, Lucius. I remembered the same black and green cloud swirling around his hand, and how he shot magic at me. I remembered when he killed my friends. I had many sleepless nights because of this man. Nightmares haunt my dreams because of this man, and here he was, in front of me.

The black cloud that shined with outlines of green span widdershins. My nose flared and my blood flowed hot in my veins. I was more alert than normal. I dashed for this man. I swung my sword overhead and hacked his right hand from his body. He dropped to his back screaming in pain and flailing.

I got on top of him pinning him and pointed my sword at his face. "Do you remember me!" I shouted. Do you remember what you did Lucius?!"

The man stopped crying instantly and stared right into my eyes. "Lucius. You think I'm Lucius?!" The man laughed boisterously coughing up blood. "Master Lucius has the power you can't even fathom achieving.

He laughed again. Before staring into my eyes once more. "You! I remember you, Scarlett-eyed boy. If we'd captured you we would've been able to complete the resurrection a long time ago. No matter, it is almost complete, and when our queen is resurrected. We will continue to bring forth the others, and this world will be remade in their image. Death is coming for all of you, boy." He again broke out in laughter. 

I didn't know what he was talking about, nor did I care. I wanted to find the man he revered. "Where is your master? Where is he?" I asked bringing him closer to me by his collar. He continued to laugh and cough blood.

I was filled with rage that made my head uncontrollably hot. My muscles tightened and I grit my teeth. I unsheathed my dagger and buried it in his face. But this didn't satiate my anger. I continuously drove my dagger into his face. Until he was no longer recognizable. I would've continued if Shael hadn't intervened.

"Enough Zarek! He is already dead," She said embracing me tightly. I wanted to remove his head from his body, but Shael's kisses on my neck calmed me tremendously quickly. I didn't have time to dwell on that moment. The sounds of horses were getting closer and we were in the open. Shael and I dashed for the alley next to the tavern stepping over the dead bodies I left there.

  We passed the shack connected to the building and continued down emerging onto another street. A cavalryman was heading towards us rapidly. Shael and I quickly took cover in the shadow of crates that were stacked high. We waited a few more seconds before making a run for the bridge.

We were there ready to get to the other side but with a glance to our left. Our hopes of getting out of the city were shattered. Heavily armed and armored soldiers were staged getting ready to storm the streets of the city. "Stop right there!" One of the men shouted. Shael and I paused for a brief moment before dashing to the other side of the bridge.

"Fire!" The same voice shouted. I glanced back at the men. Four mages stood lined up with a firebolt in hand. They fired one after the other and at high speeds, the firebolt was hurtling toward us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

160 22 9
For the past thirty years Aden has devoted his life to fight aside England as the head knight during the Edwardian war. Aden creates a reputation for...
499 28 28
It wasn't until the sun touched the horizon that the dark elves emerged from the trees on the backs of silent dragons. The heavy lizard-like wyverns...
122 31 12
Enter the dark fantasy setting of the Kingdom of Belhae, and read history through the eyes of Faran, the newly appointed knight who takes on monsters...