Too Late To Say Goodbye | Tom...

By helpingthemind

~1923~ In which Tommy's life seems to be falling into place. Business is expanding, the family is thriving... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
87.
88.
89.
90.
91.
92.
93.
94.
95.
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.
101.
102.
103.
104.
105.
Author's Note

19.

11.2K 344 58
By helpingthemind

   The two parked the car right outside the race tracks. The ride was easy, except for a bit of London traffic. But they enjoyed it, they enjoyed each other's company.

Tommy constantly kept sneaking glances over at her, which she pretended not to notice. And when he was watching the road, she would do the same to him. He looked very handsome in his black suit. He looked powerful.

The weather was nice and they were a bit early for the races, so they decided to take a stoll before heading in.

That's what they were currently doing. Tommy had his hands in his pants pockets. As Bella had her right arm hooked into his left. And they walked down the streets.

Tommy looked to his left at her, "how does it feel to be back in London?"

Bella continued to watch her heels as she walked, thinking about his question

"It actually feels kind of nice. I lived here for so long and never really got to say good bye. So it almost feels like I'm going to get a lot of closure"

Tommy looked at her as she spoke. He couldn't believe how beautiful she looked. she looked up at him and gave him a smile, he was caught staring.

"What?" She asked softly

He gave her a smirk and shrugged "you're very brave Bell, it's something to admire"

She shook her head with a smile "I'm not brave Tommy. I just live with the cards I've been dealt."

"And that's something to admire"

Bella rested her head on his shoulder as they walked.

She recognized where they were and knew where they were headed. She was nervous but like she said before she wanted closure.

After turning a corner it came in sight. The bridge. The bridge she met Vinny on. The bridge that changed the course of her life.

She froze for half a second to look at it. Tommy noticed this. And as they started to walk across it, he watched her. She knew this place and As they reached about half way across Tommy spoke up.

"This was the bridge, wasn't it?"

Bella's nerves were getting to her, but she nodded "yes"

Tommy felt her tug on his arm, pulling him to the railing on the left side of the bridge. Coming to stop, she removed her arm from his, and stepped closer to the railing, resting her hands on it.

"This is where I met Vinny,....it feels so long ago now" she said quietly

A second later she felt Tommy behind her. He put his arms around her, resting them on the railing too. The closeness was comforting, she leaned back into him a little.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He softly asked her

She didn't say anything for a moment, not knowing if she did. But eventually she spoke,
"From the moment he found me here...he saved my life and ...from then on he became my new protector. He was the first person since me brother's passing that I trusted in that way"

Tommy listened to every word. He thought he would feel jealous of her past lover, but instead he almost wished that he was still here. He wanted to thank him for everything he's for Bella. Without him, she wouldn't be here. Without him, Tommy would've never met Bella.

A few deep breaths later, Bella continued "i dont know if he's alive or not. Part of me is still holding on to the idea of him being alive, but after coming here....-"she looked up at Tommy then "I think I'm ready accept the past and make a life with what I have now"

Tommy looked her in the eyes. He wasn't sure what to say to that.

"Like I said peach, you're very admirable"

She smiled at him, "let's go to the races Tommy" he agreed and stepped back, holding his arm out for her again, leading the way.

*****

They didn't say anything the rest of the way to the races.

Once they reached their destination, they entered the building through a side hallway. Tommy turned to her then, "I need to go the betting room real quick for business. You wait here and I'll be back soon"

She looked at him confused "you said Since I'm your assistant it'll be good for me to be here. Yet you don't want me to come along for the business?"

Tommy nodded like it was obvious. "I'll be quick and then we can go watch the race, aye?"

She gave him a look of annoyance, knowing there was going to be no way to convince him otherwise. She gave him a nod and stepped back.

He looked at her for another second, "I won't be long"

Then he turned and walked down the hall.

Bella stood and watched after him until he disappeared around the corner.

Sighing, she slumped against the wall. There was nothing to do and no where to go.

If she left the spot she would most definitely get lost. Plus Tommy would get mad and that could ruin the rest of the day.

She wanted to be involved, but if what Tommy says is true and he's only checking on the betting. It shouldn't be too long and I guess it's not a big deal for her to wait.

So she stayed put, leaning against the wall in the hallway.

Sometime had past when she noticed a figure approaching her out of the corner of her eye. When she looked over she saw a tall man coming her way. It wasn't Tommy though, this man was had dirty blonde hair and walked with a different swagger.

She ignored him, maybe he'll just walk right by her.

But that didn't seem to be the case. He approached her, stopping only about two feet from her.

"And what is a lovely lady like you doing here all alone?" He asked with a raised eyebrow and smirk

Bella glanced up at him then looked back down at her nails

"I don't believe that's any of your business"

His smirk widen and he stepped closer, "well by the looks of it, you seem lonely. I'll keep you company"

Bella still not paying him much mind, hoping he'd go away, quickly looked down the hallway hoping to see Tommy. But no such luck.

"I'm here with a date. He'll be back any second." She wanted him to leave

Chuckling, he shook his head "I don't see anyone right now. So I'd say you're up for grabs"

A shiver ran down her spine. He was talking as if she was an object he could just claim.

It was then that he moved even closer and put his right hand on the wall by her face and leaned in, she closed her eyes

"Why don't you come with me and I can show you a real good tim-"

"I'd move away from her mate"

Bella opened her eyes to see Tommy standing to the left of the man.

His eyes had a dangerous look in them, his hands clenched by his sides turning white and gave the man another warning look. Telling him to back off now before he regrets it.

The mystery man looked at Tommy and then at Bella again chuckling. "Is this the date, Doll? Gotta say I was expecting more"

Bella scoffed "oh fuck off!"

He glared at her but before he could do anything in response, a gun was cocked.

To the side Tommy now had his gun in his right hand. He wanted this man gone and away from Bella. If he wasn't so close to her right now he would shoot.

"You heard the lady. Fuck off." He spoke threateningly

The man swallowed and stepped back with his hands raised. "Alright mate. Take it easy, just trying to have some fun"

His comment just pissed Tommy off even more, he tilted his head at the man "you have three second to turned around and walk out of here. Don't come back."

The man paused for a second. Then when he realized how serious Tommy was, he quickly turned and made his way down the rest of the hallway.

Tommy stood there watching until he was gone. When he was, he quickly put his gun away and walked over to Bella, who was still leaning against the wall.

Stopping in front of her, he gave her a once over, checking for any injuries

"I'm okay Tommy" she told him

still he checked again "I shouldn't have left you"

"Nothing happened. And you're here now." She reassured him

Moving his eyes up to hers. He watched her for a second, making sure she was truly okay before he nodded.

"Would you like to watch the races now?" He asked gently

She nodded and held her hand out, to which he smirked and took it, resting it in his elbow

"It was be my pleasure, Mr. Shelby" she smirked back at him

He led her down the hall and to the top balcony to oversee the race track.

Bella looked around in awe, she couldn't believe how big of a production this all was.

She looked up at Tommy, who was already looking at her. "Do we know any of the horses racing today?"

He softly shook his head and smirked "no but I would bet a lot of money on a horse named Black Jack"

She chuckled at this, knowing what he was implying. Just then the bells to start the race went off. Turning her attention back to the track to watch, she felt Tommy do the same as he did on the bridge. Put both arms around her to rest them on the balcony railing.

Bella smiled and cheers for the horses with the rest of the crowd. It was so exciting. And Tommy loved to see her this happy. He would take her to a million races if it meant seeing her like this.

Just as Tommy said, Black Jack won. Bella clapped and cheered loudly for him. And turned to Tommy, "this is so exciting, thank you for taking me"

He gave her his signature nod. Which translates to 'you're welcome' in Tommy language

Off to the right of the balcony. Bella can see a dance hall. She didn't know there was dancing here as well!

Tommy noticed her looking at this.

"Do you care to dance?" He asked

She kept her smile on her face, "you're asking me to dance, Mr. Shelby?"

He smirked a little "I am, Ms. Ray"

Her smiled widen "I would love to"

And with that Tommy led her down the stairs and towards the dance hall.

Upon entering, the music was fast and upbeat. Tommy turned to Bella and held his hand out for her, they both smirked at each other. Once she placed her hand in his. He instantly started spinning her around and moving all around until they were in the center of the room.

Bella couldn't stop laughing. She never would've expected Tommy to be this good of a dancer, she was having so much fun with him at that moment.
Even Tommy was smiling wide. Watching her grey eyes wrinkle at the edges as she laughed was a sight that he wanted to hold onto forever.

After a couple songs, the music slowed down as did the dancing.

So Tommy pulled Bella close, took one of her hands in his and rested the other on her waist. While hers rested on his shoulder. The gently swayed together, catching their breath from the all the fast dancing they just did.

Bella kept the soft smile on her face, after a moment she noticed that Tommy's face went back to being serious as he looked her in the eyes.

"What is it?" She asked softly

Tommy continued to watch her. He had so many things on his mind. And every single one of them involved Bella.

Bella became serious then too "Tommy if this is about early, really I'm okay. Nothing happe-"

"It's not about that man. It's about Vince"

Bella paused for a half a second, before they continued to dance, she wasn't expecting him to say that

With furrowed eyebrows she asked "and what about Vinny Tommy?"

He didn't mean to offend her, but he was being honest.
"After everything you told me...I wish I could thank him. Thank him for keeping you here,...for bringing you to me"

Bella was shocked he said that, but gave him her soft smile again and whispered "I think I was always meant to find you, Tommy"

Tightening his grip a little in her hand, "you spoke before of Vince being your protector-"
Bella nodded, knowing that early she told him about her feelings with that and Tommy continued
"As long as you with me Bella, I'll be your protector. You don't have to worry, I'll always be there" he spoke so slowly and softly, making sure she understood every word

The look on Bella's face was one of pure admiration and gratitude. But before she could say anything, Tommy pulled her closer, and looked deeply into her eyes,

It felt like they were the only two in the room

"My life is complicated Bella. I have commitments that I don't want to follow through with...but despite everything...you always seem to make it okay."

Bella still had no words as she listened to what he had to say

He closed his eyes for half a second before looking back into hers and spoke so deeply

"I don't eat...I don't sleep...all I do is think of you."

Then he leaned close and kiss her.

It was soft and slow. And held everything they were holding back all these months.

Bella moved her hands to his neck and he moved one of his to her hair while other pulled her closer, if that was even possible.

The kiss lasted a few more seconds, before Bella pulled away.

She looked him in the eyes, both of their eyes held happiness and she smiled

"I love your eyes-" then giggled as she rubbed her thumbs against his cheeks and wiping off the lipstick she left behind "-and the rest of your face too"

Tommy's smile widen at her ridiculous comment. Then she continued

"You hold a very special part of my heart Tommy...one that I don't share with many. And I trust you to treat it well"

He nodded "always peach. Always."

The two stood there for a few more minutes, just admiring each other and acknowledging what just happened.

In both of their minds they knew nothing more can come from it. But at that moment nothing else mattered. Only them.

Even if what they have has to be secret or kept at a distance, it didn't matter cause they had each other and that's what they both longed for since they met.

*****

Once the music picked up again, the two decided it was time to leave and head back to Ada's for the night.

The ride home was quiet. Neither saying anything. There was a lot to talk about but neither wanting to be the one to bring it up. So they sat in silence as Bella held Tommy's hand in her lap.

After the car was parked in Ada's drive, Tommy rushed out to open the door for Bella. She took the hand he offered to her and they entered the house that way.

Tommy lead her up stairs and down the hall to where her room was. She opened the the door and stepped into the door way, turning back towards Tommy.

They looked at each other with blank expressions, until Tommy put his hands in his pockets and with a nod he bid her good night
"Thank you for joining me today, hope you have a good night"

She nodded but felt her heart drop when he went to turn away.

Oh fuck it! Fuck the wedding! Fuck Grace! And fuck doing what's right!

"Tommy wait!" She quickly said and as soon as he turned around, she grabbed his tie, pulled him close and kissed him hard.

He was shocked at first but soon reacted and kissed her back, Pulling her closer by the waist.

She pulled back and looked up at him "please stay. Nothing has to happened, but just sleep in here with me."

She still had little Charlie to think about.

Tommy nodded and she gave him a slight smile,

"My protector" she whispered

Once she said that Tommy smiled and wrapped his arms tighter around her waist, picking her up and stepping into the room,

Kicking the door shut behind them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.2K 726 6
Summary: Thomas has come back from the war a different man and is moving up in the underworld as the head of the Peaky Blinders, but what happens whe...
26K 840 6
do i look like the kind of woman who dies? π—Ώπ—²π˜€π˜‚π—Ώπ—Ώπ—²π—°π˜π—Άπ—Όπ—» peaky blinders: s1 tommy shelby x fem!oc time frame...
168K 2.6K 44
At the age of 19, finn shelby is the baby of the family. But not for long. As a face from the past comes back to haunt him and brings with her a litt...
300K 5.7K 76
They were once everything. They were once in charge. Now everything has changed. The Peaky Blinders were all arrested and thought to be put away...