OVERCAST ▕⃝⃤ Regulus Black

By lovettvalley

The sun watched Phoibe Evadine by day but at nightfall the moon learnt all of her secrets. And the one she wa... More

- - - - ࿐໋₊ CAST LIST
~PART ONE ~
Chapter One - THE LESTRANGE MANOR
Chapter Two - GUILTY
Chapter Three - NOT FUN
Chapter Four - THE FRONT PAGE
Chapter Five - KISS WITH A FIST
Chapter Six - THE INVITATION
Chapter Seven - TRUCE
Chapter Eight - THE WEDDING
Chapter Nine - THE RECEPTION
Chapter Eleven - I DARE YOU
Chapter Twelve - RUN
Chapter Thirteen - REGGIE
Chapter Fourteen - DON'T LOOK
Chapter Fifteen - TOO CURIOUS
Chapter Sixteen - MAYBE
Chapter Seventeen - HYPOTHETICALLY
Chapter Eighteen - THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS
Chapter Nineteen - IT WAS NEVER HATE
Chapter Twenty - FRIENDS
Chapter Twenty One - DISTRACTED
Chapter Twenty Two - AMORTENTIA AND THE TRUTH

Chapter Ten - THE MONA LISA

1.4K 68 203
By lovettvalley

*✮ . . ° ☆ . °¸ . • ✮ . • °:. ₊ ° . ☆ . . ° .•

࿐໋₊Chapter Ten ₊˚.༄
THE MONA LISA

song guide ♬ runaway baby ~ bruno mars ♬

*✮ .. ° ☆ . °¸ . • ✮ . • °:. ₊ ° . ☆ .  . ° .•

Phoibe Evadine left Regulus Black standing unaccompanied in the shallow water of the almost empty fountain, his face riddled with what seemed to be both confusion and hurt as she strode away into the gardens. There was no planning of her path, no aim to her stride, the brunette witch simply walked as far and as fast as she could in an attempt to get away from the event that had just occurred.

What on earth was she thinking, messing around in the water like that with him for anyone to stumble across them and see? Even under the ruse of Regulus courting Phoibe the whole catastrophe would have been inappropriate due to how formal and strict pure blood courting was.

It must have been the fire whiskey Phoibe had been continuously sipping on during the ceremony and the reception that Estelle had so graciously shared. It must have gone to her head too quickly, because had Phoibe been in her right mind at that moment, she would have never let any of that happen.

She hated Regulus Black. He ignited with in her a certain kind of fire that made her blood boil and her mouth seethe with insults. Everything the raven haired boy did infuriated her. However, Phoibe had to keep reminding herself of this fact as her intoxicated brain decided to replay the fountain escapade on a constant loop.

She had never seen Regulus Black smile or laugh before and the alcohol within her seemed to cling to the memory.

Phoibe was in such a rush to escape the situation, she had not even thought about how she couldn't just simply cast a drying charm on herself due to not being of age yet.

How on earth was she going to explain this to her parents? They would surely have more questions than she had answers, that was certain. Wrapped up in her worry, she bumped into a group of wedding guests who were hiding away in the towering hedges.

Holding her breath for a brief moment, she panicked at how she would explain away the ruined dress and leaking mascara, as partaking in a water fight with Regulus Black was not a good enough explanation, nor something that she needed to be reminded of.

Thankfully, it was not a group of strangers she had stumbled across, but instead her best friend Pandora, Estelle and Andromeda Tonks, formerly Black.

"What in Merlin's name happened-" Estelle began as she watched the brunette girl approach them, her dress soaked through, leaving a soggy trail behind her. "Nevermind, I can only deal with one problem at once."

The raven haired witch glanced Phoibe over once more, a look of puzzlement etched on her face, one in which she shared with her blonde sister who seemed just as confused. Shaking her head, Estelle focused her attention back on Andromeda.

"You're lucky Bellatrix didn't see you."

"Yes I don't mean to sound rude Andromeda but what were you thinking?" Pandora asked clearly trying to figure out why the cast out member of the Black family would come to attend the event.

"I don't know." Andromeda admitted. "I know it was stupid. It was silly idea really. But it's Bella's wedding day. I remembered exactly how it felt when she wasn't there for mine."

"Forgive me Andromeda but Bellatrix is hardly marrying the love of her life. You do know this was an arranged marriage?" Phoibe interrupted maybe a little to bluntly by the look on Andromeda's face.

"I just figured because Regulus sent me a letter that maybe Bella would have been open to seeing me again." The dark hair witch explained letting out a deep breath. "You girls may not be aware because your still wrapped up in your hogwarts bubble but war is happening outside those walls. A real war, and it changes people, it makes you realise who is important and reminds you of who you love and forces us to chose a side." Andromeda explained. "She wasn't always this bad you know? And I'd hoped that Bella had found a little good in her again, that maybe all of my extended family had after that letter Regulus sent-"

"Why did he send you a letter?" Phoibe interupted yet again.

"He needed me to fix something of Sirius', a Walkman."

So he had been the one to collect the pieces from the meadow. The one to actively try and repair it.

"He said he tried to do it himself but obviously he can't use magic yet. He apologised too for casting me out. I really wasn't expecting that from him either considering we've never gotten along too well anyway but I suspect that's just down to how far apart we are in age. He was always so adamant about getting his own way when he was younger."

"He still is now." Phoibe muttered to herself.

"Yes we get it you hate him Phoibe blah blah blah. Could you put your petty drama to rest for a minute?" Estelle snapped clearly having enough of the girls additions.

"It's not petty he's completely-"

"Bea please?" Pandora cut in softly. "He's my friend. Please don't talk badly about him right in front of me when he's not here to defend himself."

"Fine." The brunette grumbled her wet clothes making her feel more uncomfortable by the second.

"Here." Andromeda drew out her wand tapping Phoibe's head and a warmth rolled over her as the water evaporated from her clothes and hair while her mascara stains were wiped away.

"Thank you." Phoibe replied gratefully sobering up a little. She felt a lot less stressed now the evidence of her account with Regulus had been washed away. "I'm sorry as well I'm afraid I've been rather rude."

"It's alright." Andromeda shrugged not too bothered and Phoibe could see why Sirius Black got along so well with her.

"Maybe you should go." Pandora suggested thoughtfully. "It would be awful for you to be spotted now."

"Right." Andromeda nodded. "Suppose I should be getting back to Ted, he doesn't even know I'm here."

"In the nicest possible way he's a little clueless anyway." Estelle chuckled and Andromeda let out a soft laugh.

"He maybe so, and a little clumsy too but, he's my dork. Just how James is yours." The dark haired witch patted Estelle on the head the way an older sister would.

"Oh James and I- he's not my dork, well he is but not actually. We um, we broke up but we're still friends so we're all good. I thought Sirius would have mentioned that in his letters. It's been quite a few months." Phoibe watched Estelle explain.

She had never seen her stumble over her words before. Estelle Lestrange always knew exactly what to say and how to say it.

"God Sirius that tosspot never said. I'm sorry."

Pandora let out an involuntary giggle that broke the tension. "Sorry Muggle slang is so funny."

"Well once again I have my dork to thank for that." Andromeda smiled. "You two will have to come over for dinner before the summer ends." She extended her invitation to the Lestrange sisters she clearly knew well. "Nyphadora would love to see you."

"We'd love to!" Pandora agreed and with a wave and a loud crack Andromeda disappeared having apparated away.

"So back to the reception?" Pandora asked.

"I'd rather sit through a history of magic for eight hours." Estelle sighed.

"Oh come on." Pandora laughed grabbing both her and Phoibe's hand dragging them back indoors.

"Pandora when will you learn I hate physical contact?" Estelle asked.

"When you stop hugging your little group of marauders. Maybe just one marauder in particular actually." Pandora teased her sister who tugged he hand free as they entered the ballroom.

"Dory!" Phoibe gasped at the inference before giggling.

"I don't even like Potter anymore, not like that anyway." Estelle rolled her eyes.

Phoibe snorted. "I've only spent one evening with the pair of you and it's so obvious that you both like eachother."

"He's literally dating Lily Evans." Estelle dead panned. "And after years of chasing after her he finally got her. And she's great I'm happy for him so can we please stop talking about this?"

"When you start being honest we can." Pandora replied. "Look who else can you actually talk to about this? Those marauders are his best friends so I know that you feel like you can't talk to them about it."

"I doesn't matter how I feel. Like I said Potter's dating Lily Evans, he's clearly moved on." Estelle repeated. "In fact that's something that I should probably be doing too if you'll excuse me." Estelle walked a few feet away to the nearest group of boys and with in seconds she was on the dancefloor with a dashing Slytherin Phoibe recognised to be in the year above her.

"Is it always that easy for her?" Phoibe asked Pandora watching as the raven haired girl with blue streaks waltz around the room.

"With people she wants? Yes." Pandora nodded. "She's always had good luck, boys or girls. In fifth year she probably could have had a different date for every hogsmeade weekend if she wanted to." The blonde continued. "Despite how closed of she may seem, I think people sort of like that, she's like a mystery."

There was a beat of silence before Pandora spoke again.

"I wish I could be like her. Nobody thinks she's strange. I'm just so different Bea and at the end last year at Hogwarts everyone started to point it out to me."

"Hey don't talk about my best friend that way!" Phoibe chided. "Dory you're not strange in a bad way at all. You've mentioned this a few times lately and I want you to know I wouldn't change you for the world."

"Really?"

"Really." Phoibe reassured. "Now let's not stand in the corner and mope just because this wedding reception is terrible. Dance with me?" She didn't let the blonde answer pulling her to the ballroom floor.

⭒⭒⭒

"Where did they say to meet them?" Pandora asked in the foyer of the Lestrange Manor. The three girls were awaiting the presence of James Potter and Sirius Black to escape away for the rest of the evening.

"They didn't say." Estelle sighed annoyed. "They were suppose to owl me again but in all this wedding chaos and congratulations letters, theirs has probably gotten lost."

"Brilliant." Phoibe remarked sarcastically.

"Oh they'll be around somewhere by now." Estelle shrugged. "They've probably just gone to see the train wreck of reception in there and cause a little trouble." Estelle gestured to the large double doors behind them that where slightly ajar enabling them to still hear the faint sound of violin and chortling guests.

"Aren't you worried that you father is going to be mad?" Pandora asked Phoibe.

"No way. He's probably had enough drinks by now that he's recounting curse breaking tales from when he was younger."

"I still can't believe that you know." Pandora replied. "He used to be so adventurous and daring in all the stories he used to tell us when we had sleepovers and now-"

"Now he cares way to much about whether the Prophet photographers get our good side." Phoibe exhaled through her nose.

"It is rather funny." Pandora tittered.

It was rather funny. Her father had been quite dauntless in his twenties before his political career began. He had travelled the world, fought mummies in Egypt, broken into ancient vaults in Brazil, even invented a few of the most difficult to break security spells known to the wizarding world. Phoibe often wondered how different her life would be if her father had continued his career as a curse breaker. She liked to imagine that she did not have to worry so much about what everyone thought of her.

And next may he would be running for the top spot of Minister...

Phoibe did not like to think about it so she changed the subject.

"If the boys are taking so long we might as well pick out new outfits. I don't want to be running around doing merlin knows what looking like a funeral party."

"Agreed." The Lestrange sisters spoke in sync and they ascended the large main staircase towards their rooms Estelle departing to her own as Phoibe followed Pandora to hers.

It was not uncommon for the pair share clothes despite the blonde being a couple inches taller that the brunette witch.

"I feel a little guilty." Pandora admitted as the girls dived into her wardrobe looking for something colourful to wear.

"About what?" Phoibe asked.

"Now that I'm friends with Regulus I think it will be weird seeing Sirius again." Pandora said deciding on a pale blue dress that she yanked from its hanger.

"Dory you don't need to feel guilty. Besides you're friends with me and still friends with Regulus. And we hate eachother."

"He doesn't hate you." Pandora insisted and Phoibe struggled to find a dress she liked enough to change into.

"He does, he's so inconsiderate and-" Phoibe was going to rant but Pandora shot her a pleading look as she finished putting on her new outfit.

"I suppose you're right though. Regulus is aware I've known Sirius longer, and he doesn't mind Estelle being friends with him either. Well not too much anyway." Pandora directed her comment to the previous subject.

"See problem solved." Phoibe nodded. "Got anything green?" She asked refering to the clothing choices.

"Nope you'd have more luck in Estelle's wardrobe." Pandora giggled. "She stole all my green dresses in the name of house pride."

"Well I'm going to see if I can steal one back." Phoibe stood rising to her feet and leaving Pandora's chambers. She walked briskly along the wide hallway of the Lestrange Manor but slowed at the sound of voices.

"Don't tread on my heels!"

"Then don't walk so slow!"

Phoibe rounded the corner quickly hoping to catch whoever had spoken but no one was in sight.

"Hello?"

No voices answered and so Phoibe raced quickly down the hall feeling as though someone was watching her. She quickly closed the door to Estelle's room behind her, back pressed up against the cool wood.

"Heard you own all the green?" Phoibe said and Estelle unbothered by the intrusion continued putting on eyeliner looking into her large gothic style vanity.

"Knock yourself out."

Phoibe now granted with permission started to scan through the girl's wardrobe.

"What do you think of this one?" The brunette asked holding up a long mint green dress.

"Absolutely not." Estelle burst out laughing. "That dress is the ugliest thing I own."

"Then why do you own it?" Phoibe questioned confused her cheeks a little red that her fashion choice was not approved.

"Because Potter's mum got it for me. I don't have the heart to throw it away." Estelle admitted.

"That's adorable." Phoibe replied making sure to be extra careful with the garment as she hung it back up.

"What about this?" Phoibe selected another green dress.

"Nope." The raven haired with said bluntly and Phoibe frowned. "That is the second ugliest dress I own. Have you not seen how massive that bow is on the front?" Estelle continued.

"Then why do you own it? I doubt Mrs Potter gave you two awful dresses." Phoibe sighed.

"No that one is the one Dory made for my birthday last year so don't tell her that I hate it."

"You're way more sentimental than I thought."

The older witch done with reapplying her makeup joined Phoibe to help her select something.

"I'm not sentimental. I'm just not an arse. Why would I throw something away that someone put thought into?"

"Fair point." Phoibe agreed before Estelle shoved a rather short emerald green dress into her arms.

"I can't wear this." The brunette protested shaking her head.

"Why not? You do have legs don't you?" Estelle teased.

"Ha. Ha." Phoibe remarked dryly.

"It's not like you ever show them. I couldn't be sure." Estelle continued now brushing through her hair turning away to look back into her mirror.

"I have shown them. Just not often..." The Ravenclaw mumbled before pushing the door of the walk in wardrobe to, starting to change.

She slipped the soft velvet over her head pulling it down and smoothing it out. She then exited the wardrobe assessing herself through the mirror behind Estelle. It hugged her figure well and ended mid thigh.

"What do you think?" She asked and Estelle's attention went to her.

"You look hot."

"Yes she does." Another voice spoke and Phoibe jumped.

"Bloody hell who said that!"

"Fucking idiots, my boys are fucking idiots." Estelle rolled her eyes un phased by the mysterious voice before they narrowed sweeping across the room until she darted for the empty corner reaching out and pulling at thin air.

Accept to Phoibe's surprise it wasn't thin air at all. Clutched between Estelle's fingertips was an ethereal looking cloak that shimmered silver and in the place that was empty moments ago stood a guilty looking James Potter and grinning Sirius Black.

"When are you two going to grasp the concept of privacy?" Estelle clapped both boys upside the head scolding them.

"Ow." Sirius complained rubbing the injured spot.

With out hesitation Phoibe also marched forwards and punched them both. "I can't believe you were in here and I was getting changed!"

"We didn't see anything!" James assured. "You closed the door and we weren't looking anyway I swear."

"Yeah Prongs was too busy staring at E- Ow! Will people stop hitting me?" James had winded his best friend in order to prevent the words he had been about to speak.

"That still doesn't change how creepy this is!" Phoibe exclaimed. "You're watching people with out them knowing!" She grasped the material from Estelle hands to study it. "An invisibility cloak! Merlin how on earth did you even get one?"

Neither of the boys answered.

"Wait is this how you manage all those pranks?" She continued.

"That and we're incredibly smart." Sirius drawled leaning against a chest of drawers.

"Not that smart if you still get caught all the time." Phoibe remarked.

"They are plenty smart." Estelle defended light hearted. "It's Potters ego that always trips them up." She poked the boy donned with glasses. "You always have to take credit and then McGonagall finds out and you land yourself in detention."

"Yeah in detention right next to you. And you're a prefect love, so you should be a little more embarrassed than me that you're a regular too." James replied.

"Yes well at least I don't get detentions for stupid reasons."

"Okay. I'll give you that. Hexing Mulciber and his little gang is definitely worth it." James grinned almost a little proud.

Phoibe looked to Sirius who mouthed at her Tension.

She had to stifle a giggle.

"Right." Sirius clapped his hands together gathering his friends attention. "Let's get little frying Pan and get going."

"Frying Pan?" Phoibe snorted.

"Yes deputy. You're best friend Pandora is nicknamed frying Pan because you know PAN-dora."

"Oh I get it, it's just an awful nickname." Phoibe replied.

"Do you want me to change your nickname to something worse?"

"No thank you." Phoibe shook her head at the threat as Sirius took the invisibility cloak back from her.

"Don't want to get caught deputy." He winked throwing the cloak back over James and himself concealing them from sight once more. The four of them stepped out into the hallway as Phoibe took the lead. "You three head downstairs I'll meet you there with Dory."

Estelle nodded and Phoibe, though she could not see James or Sirius, assumed they did them same thing. The brunette continued onwards down the large corridor but as she rounded a corner she collided into someone. Phoibe was about to apologise when she unfortunately recognised the tall raven haired boy to be Regulus. He had changed out of his drenched suit from earlier now sporting a navy waist coat and a rather puffy white shirt.

"Watch where you're going!" She spat.

"You walked into me!" He hissed back.

"No you walked into me dickhead." She stated as their bickering began.

"Dunce."

"Prick."

"Degenerate."

"Half wit."

"Pathetic."

"Twat."

"Cunt."

"I hate you." Phoibe clicked her tongue folding her arms.

"I hate you more." Regulus stated mirroring her actions.

"Will you just move out of my way?"

"Why should I move you're in mine?" Regulus countered.

"Urgh! You are such a little maggot Regulus Black. You're so entitled and think that everything- " Phoibe stopped noticing his gaze had drifted down to them of her short dress. Suddenly, she felt uncomfortable under his gaze shifting her weight between her feet clearing her throat. "What are you looking at?"

Regulus' eyes immediately snapped back up to her own. "Nothing."

Phoibe already wanting to get away started to stride past him immediately.

"Evadine. Wait!" He called out after a moment and she turned hesitantly.

"What do you want Black?"

"What are you wearing?" He questioned clearly confused by her attire. His eyes fell over her dress once more and flickered down to her legs for split second yet again.

"It's called a dress... Look I know girls don't want to be in fifty feet of you but surely you've seen a dress befor-"

"Don't try and be smart. It doesn't suit you."

"Then don't ask the wrong question. If you mean to ask why I'm wearing it, it's none of your business."

"You're going somewhere." He concluded

"Yes I am, away from you funny enough. I can only be in your presence for so long before getting the urge to throw myself of the ramparts of this manor." She said before continuing her path to Pandora's room.

He didn't try to engage her again.

After fetching Pandora the girls reunited with Estelle and the boys Phoibe assumed to still be hidden under the cloak in the foyer. As they exited the manor out of the front gates James and Sirius shedded the cloak that was shielding them from being seen.

"So what are we doing?" Phoibe asked but noticed Sirius did not seem focused as James spoke.

"We're going to steal the Mona Lisa."

⭒⭒⭒

Paris.

All four Marauders plus Phoibe, Estelle and Pandora had ended up in Paris.

If Phoibe Evadine's father ever found out she had apparated this far away she would probably be shipped off to Beauxbatons and he would site how her new found friends were a bad influence for the rest of eternity.

"So we're really stealing this Muggle painting because..." Phoibe trailed. She still could not quite wrap her head around how they had come to be in a different country.

"Marlene, Dorcas and Mary bet us that we couldn't do it." Peter Pettigrew shrugged nonchalantly as if they were not about to steal one of the Muggle world's most famed art pieces of all time.

"I heard the girl in the painting is a dead ringer for you Stelle, you know, because people can't tell whether this Lisa girl is smiling or not." James teased as they walked along the deserted streets.

"Next time we play quidditch a bludger is going into that big head of yours Potter."

"Careful Estelle you might pop his skull and all the hot air will escape." Remus Lupin added and the trio burst out laughing.

"Bea are you sure this is a good idea?" Pandora questioned nervously.

"Oh it's definitely not." Phoibe replied causing the blonde's face to crease in alarm.

"But their not really stealing it for good, they just want to get the painting show it to Marlene, Dorcas and Mary and then they'll return it."

"But what if we get caught?"

"We won't because we'll point out any stupid flaws in their plan."

"Okay." Pandora nodded. "You're right. We can point out what won't work." She exhaled before continuing. "You're really into rule breaking recently."

"Maybe it's one of those fifth year changes that everyone goes on about." Phoibe replied. She didn't mind this evolution in her personality.

"No." Pandora shook her head. "I think its that you want to impress them." She was refering to the marauders.

To a certain extent the blonde was correct, Phoibe did want to prove herself, but also they were just so incredibly fun. And she had been starved of anything remotely adventurous for years.

"What's so bad about that?" Phoibe asked.

"Nothing. I quite like that you're a little less stubborn but I just don't want you to get in trouble."

"Oh Dory." Phoibe threw an arm around her with a smile. "What's life with out a little trouble?" They continued to walk down the narrow streets that had long been abandoned now that it was the dead of night.

Phoibe had noticed Sirius had been rather quiet since the had group apparated here and also walked slightly a head of everyone. She also was not the only one who seemed to observe the boy' dip in mood though as Remus caught up to him in a few quick strides of his long legs.

The brunette couldn't make out what they were saying but she did not fail to miss when the pairs hands briefly brushed eachothers and Sirius' cheeks dusted a pale pink as he finally sported a smile.

Phoibe was very grateful for Remus Lupin in that moment.

Finally, the group of young witches and wizards halted outside the large pyramid of glass known as the Louvre where the famed Mona Lisa was on display.

"How are we actually going steal-"

"Borrow." James corrected and everyone blinked at him.

"What? We're going to give it back..."

"I'm pretty sure this is still stealing." Pandora repeated.

"Borrowing." James emphasised and Pandora laughed.

"Okay how are we going to borrow this painting?" She asked.

"Well little Frying Pan we were kind of hoping for some of your input. You are a Ravenclaw after all." Sirius replied and Phoibe wondered why she hadn't also been included in the statement. She was also a Ravenclaw, in fact not only that but she was the smartest witch in her year.

"Obviously we've got to use the cloak." Remus said trying to start to put together a plan.

"But how are we all going to fit underneath?" Peter asked. "It barely fits over three of us anymore."

"Extension charm." Phoibe and Pandora suggested in sync and Sirius high fived the blonde.

"Great thinking Frying Pan."

Once again Sirius had failed to acknowledge Phoibe's presence. He was acting as though she was already wearing the invisibility cloak.

He was probably just playing some long winded joke on her Phoibe thought.

Yes that has to be it.

James pulled out his wand casting the extension charm over the cloak so it now resembled the size of a parachute.

"Right this isn't going to last long so we have to be quick." He explained. "We're going to go in, use silencing charms to deflect the alarms and an unsticking charm to get the painting off the wall."

The group nodded before gathering under the material.

"This is scary but I kind of like it." Pandora giggled to Phoibe.

"I know." The brunette replied equally buzzing with anticipation and James at the front of the line had unlocked the entrance door in front of them.

The gallery was not well lit at all as they crept through it. They passed countless paintings with ranges of different brush works and Phoibe wondered how some pure bloods could ever think muggles were inferior at all. They were talented, creative and possessed brilliant minds to be able to produce beauty such as this.

"Wormy stop treading on my fucking heels." Remus hissed stumbling slightly which pulled the cloak up a little so Pandora's ankles became exposed. She quickly hoisted the material back down and was pulled taught against James' head.

"Oi. Who did that? You messed up my hair."

"Potter your hair is always messed up." Estelle replied.

Peter now spoke up. "Yeah and half the time is used to be because you snogged him and- OW!"

"Oops my elbow slipped." Estelle stated.

"Merlin I was only making fun-"

"Well don't because Potter has a girlfriend so it's weird and really disrespectful to Lily."

"She's not my girlfriend." James now pitched in. "We've been on some dates but she's not my girlfriend." He repeated.

Estelle snorted. "Yeah right you've been obsessed with her forever."

"Is that what you seriously think?" James stopped turning around causing the line of young witches and wizards to bump into eachother.

"Nope. We are not doing couples therapy right in the middle of a fucking art heist." Remus pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Just hurry up walking Prongs." Sirius said. "I want rub this painting in McKinnon's face already."

"Whatever." He muttered under his breath before forgetting the situation completely and venturing on until the reached a large open room. There in the centre, bracketed on to the wall was the Mona Lisa.

"If you would do the honours Moony." Sirius egged the boy on to cast the unsticking charm.

Remus pulled out his wand and his hand poked out the cloak. He muttered and incantation and the painting lifted from the wall levitating towards them. James quickly pulled the painting under the cloak.

"Now lets get out of here." Sirius excitedly.

"Qui est-ce!" A voice coming from around the corner exclaimed and in an instant a flashlight flooded the room blinding Phoibe.

Simultaneously, Sirius had let French tumble out of his mouth while Remus did the same in Welsh.

Pandora squeaked nervously.

Phoibe's heart hammered against her chest she could only imagine the headline the Daily Prophet would come up with if they were caught.

"Qui est-ce!" The security guard repeated unable to see the group under the invisibility cloak. He inspected the room but when is eyes fell over the absent spot where the famed Mona Lisa would be he gasped dropping his flash light.

"Run!" James hissed and the young witches and wizards waisted no time bolting from the gallery.

⭒⭒⭒

"I can't believe you actually fucking did it." Marlene McKinnon held the up the work of Da Vinci inspecting it. "Mary are you sure this is real?"

"I'm sure!" Mary McDonald confirmed from the sofa.

"So what are you gonna do with it?" Dorcas Meadows asked.

"Return it. Right boys." Estelle's eyes narrowed at them all.

"Yes ma'am." They all agreed nodding.

Phoibe was quickly learning you could never be too careful knowing what the marauders were up to.

As all of them gossiped in Marlene's living room Phoibe could not help noticing Sirius was once more deflated and quiet. At one point he even left the conversation to start at the sleeping portrait of Marlene's grandmother in the corner of the room. The brunette enable to take Sirius' sour mood set out to cheer him up.

"Oi." She nudged him with her shoulder and instead of being greeted by his usual warm smile Sirius ignored the contact.

"Hey are you okay?" Phoibe asked concerned.

"Why didn't you tell me that you knew my brother?" Sirius asked and Phoibe's heart picked up in pace. She had not been expecting that question at all.

"He's in my year of course I know-" she tried to brush the statement off but Sirius turned to fully look at her now. He wasn't that much taller than her but he summoned an intimidating glare that bared a resemblance to Regulus'.

"You were talking to him, in hall at the manor."

"You were eaves dropping!" Phoibe accused. "Under that stupid cloak!"

"Yes I was. And I'm glad I did. I thought I warned you to stay away from my family members. They are bad news and you don't deserve to be dragged into that."

"I was. I am. Trust me I don't want to be anywhere near your brother. Did you become deaf while we were arguing? I said hate him."

"Nah you don't." Sirius chuckled dryly.

"Excuse me?" Phoibe crossed her arms awaiting an explanation of the proposterous statement.

"You don't hate him. And he definitely doesn't hate you from the way he was looking at you in that dress."

Phoibe's mouth dropped open briefly at the inference before she spoke.

"I hate him and he wasn't looking at me in any way other than normal! Well not normal I'm sure he was looking at me with an equal amount of hate-"

"Trust me I know what hatred looks like on him and that wasn't it." Sirius stated.

"Why do you care whether he hates me or not? Or whether I hate him, which once again I do." Phoibe rambled confused.

"You're my friend aren't you?"

"Well after the way you've been ignoring me I'm not so sure, besides we've only known eachother a couple weeks..." Phoibe trailed.

"Yeah but we get on? It's cheesy deputy but you've swept me off my feet." Some playfulness finally entered his voice and Phoibe smiled.

"Ah yes I forgot you're in love with me." Phoibe shook her head laughing.

"No but really" Sirius began. "I make fast friends, everyone knows that, I care about people way to quickly and I know that can be a bit suffocating or seem like I'm overdramatic but I can't help it." He continued to explain. "I really want you to be my friend Phoibe and because of that I care about who hates you, who doesn't and also whether you're in cursing range of my family."

"Wait do you think they would hurt me or something?" Phoibe asked eyebrows furrowed.

"You've met them haven't you?" Sirius mumbled. "I know Reg wouldn't do anything of course but his ideals, his beliefs they're not-"

"Pandora told me he's changed." Phoibe confessed. "I don't quite know whether I believe it myself but they are friends now, as much as I despise it, which maybe is evidence enough." She found the words tumbling out of her mouth before she even thought much about them.

But then she did start to think about them.

The brunette convinced herself that she was defending Regulus to combat the look of disappointment, guilt and hurt on Sirius' face when he had spoken about his brother but in that moment something deeper tugged on her mind.

She had remembered Regulus helping Mable, the flower girl, earlier that morning after she had combusted into tears, returning every petal she had dropped to her basket. How Regulus had written to Andromeda and apologised to her about casting her out, how he had also actively made an effort to repair something that was not only Sirius' but something Muggle. There was also the fact she hazily remembered Regulus saying that he even read Muggle books too when they had sat drenched in the water of the fountain.

Suddenly, more signs were pointing to the fact that Regulus had left his prejudice beliefs behind more than ever.

Of course that didn't change the fact that he had never had them. He bullied Muggleborns for years and proven that he still possessed a completely insufferable personality.

"Frying Pan is friends with my brother?" Sirius scrunched up his nose looking over at the blonde who was animatedly talking to James about something a little unconventional by the awkward look on his face. Phoibe could just make out strange words like "nargles" and "wrackspurts". Estelle seemed very appreciative that James was still listening to the conversation at all.

"Apparently since the beginning of summer." Phoibe elaborated. "You better not be mad at her or make her feel bad about it or I'll kill you. She felt so guilty about seeing you again because of it."

"Well do you make her feel bad about it, you know, because you apparently hate my brother?" Sirius air quoted.

"I don't make her feel bad. I just make her aware of her choices." Phoibe murmured realising that she had been a bit hypocritical in her threats.

"I won't make her feel bad about if you don't in the future. Deal?" Sirius stuck out his hand.

"I'm not going to fake joy about them." Phoibe stated.

"Me neither." Sirius shrugged. "But Pandora is usually a good judge of character so maybe we shouldn't be so dismissive of her decisions. Maybe she sees something in Reg I didn't know he still had."

"Maybe." She took Sirius' hand shaking it. "But just to be clear I still hate him."Phoibe snatched her hand back crossing her arms stubbornly once more.

"Nah you don't." Sirius smirked.

Phoibe did not get a chance to protest as Pandora called them both over to join the rest of their friends.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

99.2K 2.5K 33
❝ 𝐢 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐞: 𝐃𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐎𝐫 𝐝𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭. ...
4.7K 274 22
regulus black is fed up with his family's views on blood purity and their determination to ruin his life. when over the summer, his arm is marked wit...
498 26 9
"Well, you might as well tell me your name, I'm Mariah." "Regulus. Regulus Black." "Regulus... Like the star?" "Yeah... Like the star." Mariah Adelai...
10.2K 423 30
Y/n has been best friends with the mauraders since first year, and she couldn't have asked for a better group of friends. But one day, third year, w...