Everyday Hero

Cleria2000 द्वारा

Sure, Richard "Dick" Grayson has saved many people as Robin and now Nightwing. But in the uniform he can use... अधिक

Hero
Support
Diagnosis
My Son...
Secret? Not Anymore...
Progress?
Crippled
Family Problems
Visitors
Discomfort
Say Something
Miracle?
Struggles
Spoilers
Time To Go
Baby Steps
Come To Me
One Of Those Days
Back Again
Taste Of Freedom
If Only
So That Secret...
Nightmare Scenario
Tough Decisions

Let's Try It

682 30 5
Cleria2000 द्वारा

Okay, I don't know a DAMN thing about how this process works, how long it takes, or even how possible it is with Dick's particular injury. And I'm tired of looking for a straight answer.

I'm not even kidding, I've been trying to find one for nearly a month and I need to write this chapter.

In other words: don't expect medical accuracy.
______________________________

Dick's weary eyes blinked up at Dr. Aguilar.

Her gentle smile attempting to encourage him as both Bruce and Wally stood behind her, also giving small smiles but failing to completely hide their nervousness.

James and Adam were behind Dick's wheelchair, watching the interaction with critical eyes. They had to look out for any sign of discomfort that was unusual.

Well, physical discomfort anyway.

They've been attempting this uh.... activity... for nearly two weeks now after it was determined the strength in his legs have built back up.

And especially after... he felt feeling in his toes. He couldn't move them. But he felt when Tim accidentally bumped against them.

Felt the rough material of his backpack and the material of his jeans.

That meant there was hope, slowly but surely the injured part of his brain was indeed healing and him regaining his mobility seemed more possible than it had months ago now.

His paralysis didn't appear to be so permanent anymore as they had initially feared.

However, before they could even think about helping him move his legs-- he needs to stand up.

Wasn't going very well so far.

"I know it's frustrating Richard. And I know it may seem hopeless... but it's not impossible. You can do it, and we're all here to help you."

Dr. Aguilar reached out her arms toward him.

"But you need to be willing to keep trying."

Dick let out a heavy sigh through his nose before letting his eyes flit over to Wally and Bruce before nodding briefly.

After two weeks, they both knew exactly what this gesture meant.

Wally's smile grew and became genuine as Bruce went to one side of Dick, Dr. James to the other.

Both men positioned themselves and braced to pull him up by the arms, Adam was behind in case he tumbled backwards.

All the while, Dr. Aguilar was in front, arms open and encouraging smile never leaving her face.

With another nod from Dick, both men counted to three before slowly and gently pulling him up.

As soon as he was up, Dr. Aguilar's hands grabbed ahold of his arms and Adam pressed his hand against Dick's back to steady him as he nearly tumbled to the ground, causing Bruce and James to tighten their grips.

A minute passed as they all stood there, all hardly daring to even breathe.

Dick's breathing was heavy, his teeth gritted, and his own grip on Dr. Aguilar's arms was so tight it was likely to leave a bruise.

But her smile never faltered.

This is as far as they've come so far. For the past two weeks, Dick would have already of been back in the chair.

Wasn't completely out of the woods yet, his legs were shaking horribly.

Another moment passed and Dr. Aguilar was alternating her gaze from Dick's face and down to his legs, monitoring the shaking.

Finally, the tremors had nearly completely stopped.

She nodded towards James, causing both Wally and Adam to nervously glance at each other.

At her indication, James gently loosened his grip...

"Urgh!"

...which caused Bruce to tighten his, as Dick's body lurched at the loss of stability.

"Easy Dick, it's alright..."

James tightened again only to stabilize him before carefully loosening his grip once again.

Nothing happened this time, so after a hesitant moment, he loosened his touch completely.

Now, only a hand was hovering over Dick's shoulder.

Just in case.

Adam had now removed the wheelchair from behind Dick and put himself in its place; prepared to catch him if he falls.

Dick's gaze had turned to his side, to Bruce.

His eyes were wide and sweat was starting to form on his forehead.

He wouldn't say it out loud but... he was honestly scared.

Of what exactly? Well, he wasn't quite sure.

Of falling? Possibly.

What if this doesn't work? What if he can never fully regain mobility? What if he can't even stand?!

Ah yes, that's it.

All those "what if" questions.

But Bruce saw and recognized that look in his son's eye. Though Dick wasn't quite sure at the moment what he was afraid of, Bruce did.

And he was having none of it.

"Dick..."

Dick winced at the tone. It wasn't harsh, but it was firm. No nonsense, and no room for discussion. Period.

Listen.

"You listen to me, you know you can do this. Think of everything you've done in your life..."

Of course, to Dr. Aguilar and Adam, they merely thought Bruce was talking about all of his acrobatic feats from his background.

Well, they weren't completely wrong.

James however, merely fidgeted in his place. Like he really needed another reminder--

"You will do it all again."

Dick didn't look all that convinced.

Dick gave Bruce a blank look before scowling and turning his eyes to the ground in front of him.

"You've already proven you're fighting. That you want that. You're able to speak English again..."

Bruce subtly loosened his grip a little.

"You can do it again. You will walk again."

Bruce loosened his grip more, his fingers just holding onto his son.

Dick didn't say anything, or even look up, but his eyes flickered in recognition of what Bruce was saying.

"But first, you must stand."

Bruce now completely let go of his son, his hands just hovering over him as James's hands are.

Wally walked up to stand next to Bruce.

"It's okay man, it's not going to be instant, you know that. But look at what you're already doing!"

Dick sighed and looked up.

True, he was up. But would he be able to stay up on his own once Dr. Aguilar removed her hands?

Or was it over?

He looked once more to Dr. Aguilar, meeting her brown eyes with his vivid blue.

"Are you ready?"

Dick took a deep breath and then nodded.

"R-ready."

She didn't let go right away.

For a moment she kept her grip steady before slightly loosening her grip.

His legs faltered for just a second, causing Dr. Aguilar to pause for a moment.

Soon enough though, she began again, all the while Adam was bracing himself behind Dick. Arms spread out wide and knees flexing in case the worst happened.

Dick's breath turned heavy and he couldn't help but to shut his eyes tightly.

She paused again at his reaction before someone behind him lightly rested his hand on Dick's shoulder.

Finally, he felt her hands leave his arms.

And he almost forgot how to breathe.

Seconds passed in silence before her warm voice reached his ears.

"Richard... open your eyes."

Dick cracked them open for a second before fully opening them.

Four smiles faced him.

No one was at his side.

And Adam? He was still behind him and was only lightly touching his shoulder.

"You did it, Dick!"

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

294 1 20
Dick Grayson, who looked like an ordinary rich boy at the first glance, hides a big secret. Even from his most beloved girlfriend- Kylie Walker. Howe...
My Hero Alex द्वारा

फैनफिक्शन

3.2K 142 10
Barbara Gordon never wished for any of this; the secrets, the lies she told to her police commissioner father. Of the ways she spent her night, prowl...
8.1K 359 31
When Bruce Wayne contacts Nightwing to warn him about a certain villain Nightwing is taken. For three years, no one could find him. For three years D...
25.1K 871 70
Lindsay (Lindy) Dinah Wayne.You can't save everyone. "Well if I don't try then who will." I have loss family but who hasn't and how many find out tha...