A Vampire's Rotten Heart

By The_Suit_Guy

Garrett Hyŏng's got a case of rotten luck. First, he finds himself sick with a mysterious illness, and next... More

A Messy Start
Beluga
First Blood
The Orobanche Tree
Something to Drink
A Lesson in Walrus Meat
The Extermination
A Different Breed
Changes
The Fledging
Spud
Dave
People You Can Trust
Goodbye
The Eyes
The Deal
Marvin's Marvelous Monster Museum
Brand-New Exhibit
Soliloquy in Solitude
A Morbid Fascination With Plastination
Her Heartbeat
Snowed Out
Cadaver X
What She Took
God Be With You
Moribund
Trust Me
Elevation Elation
Deep Down
Normal Times
The King of the Hive
Table Manners
I Can't Help You
Deadlock
Grudge
Vendetta
People You Can Sell To
Separated at Death
The Worm Book Worm Nook
Mail to Mitford
Angeltwice
The Theory of Evolution
What Are You?
A Perilous Expedition Down, Down, Down
Ant Ripper
Rays of Light
Bone and Blood
Beluga, Too
A Rotten Heart

Hirudian Lake

10 1 0
By The_Suit_Guy

    This was a horrible idea.

    "Aren't you coming over?"

    I took a deep breath and stared at the barbed wire before me. Lady Angeltwice was already on the other side with her hands on a small boat, all too eager to push it into the water.

    I jumped and fluttered over the wire.

    "I just want a couple of specimens. Not a word about this to the others."

    "Not a word." I sighed.

    I peered into the water. Beyond the reflections of the stars and moon— and my own hideous face— was something undeniably sinister. It wasn't something that could be seen. It was a feeling.

    Angeltwice gently pushed the rowboat into the deep, black ink. I stepped in, one foot at a time.

    The boat was cramped. My knees almost touched my chin.

    "I'm afraid I've never done this before." I took hold of the oars. The boat churned.

    Angeltwice took a fishing net off her back and dipped it into the water. "You'll do fine."

    I breathed in the crispy night air and pushed the oars back. Gently drifting away from the shore, I watched as the world turned black.

    Not even the stars shone here.

    In their place, my mind filled in the blanks. The lake became a mass of jumping purple fuzz as the boat rolled up and down.

    My arm tickled.

    There was something on my arm.

    I jerked my hand back and shook it vigorously.

    I dropped the oar. It slid silently into the water. Not a splash. Not a sound.

    "Shit."

    "What?"

    I bent way, way over until my face nearly touched the water. And from the dim light of my eyes, I could barely make out the broken outlines of long, writhing strings.

    Most of Hirudian Lake's volume wasn't water.

    I nearly shrieked. A pain shot through my forehead. A piercing headache. I wanted to scream.

    "Ohh there're so many! This is wonderful!"

    Her net plopped into the worm-water.

    "I'd love to take one of the bigger ones home, but I don't think I could hide it."

    An endless sea of worms. My insides sank downwards. My brain turned to mush and seeped down my neck, collecting into my stomach.

    There was nothing I could distract myself with. The only sensations were the wood in my hands and the gasping of a thousand small mouths.

"Oh my! Could you help me out, friend?" She laughed. It was too dark to see what was going on.

"I've got a couple on my arms. Actually, there's quite a few! Ravenous little things."

My brain started to sink again.

"There's a bottle of holy water in my left pocket. Spritz some on my arms."

I took deep, controlled breaths to fight off my lightheadedness as I knelt over just behind Angeltwice. I put my hands on her sides and felt my way down to her pockets.

There was the tiniest glass bottle in there, smooth as a pebble and cold as a seashell, with a rubber bulb attached to the top. My hands felt bruised just touching it.

I slid it out, took the bulb in my other hand, and wrapped my torso around hers to get close to her arms.

From the dim light of my eyes, all I could see was the swarming of greedy children. The worms moved like a sticky liquid, covering the lady's arms in a thick, black ink.

And I was so close to them. I felt as if they could latch on to me at any second.

I closed my eyes and squeezed the bulb a couple times. The worms let go and plopped back into the lake.

The lady ran two fingers over her fresh wounds. "Circular! How wonderfully intriguing!"

She took a roll of gauze out of her other pocket and wrapped her arms.

    "That should be enough specimens. Time to go home."

    I didn't need to be told twice.

    I placed the bottle on the floor of the boat and snatched the oars. I rolled them foreword, but my hands had become weak and shaky. I could've dropped them at any moment.

    The eyeless faces of the worms creeped up the sides of the boat. I tried to row faster, but there was too many of them. I couldn't get anywhere. I couldn't keep my fists closed any longer.

    Their faces... round, gaping suckers with hundreds of teeth... there were more of them now... they were in the boat now... I couldn't see anymore... my head was empty.

    "They seem more interested in you than me!"

    Were they on me? Were they on me? I couldn't tell. Couldn't tell. They were on me. Swarming me. I couldn't tell.

    Angeltwice's voice modulated in and out. I couldn't tell what she was saying. But she sounded just as excited as she always did.

    Maybe this was what dying felt like.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.8K 5.3K 37
Unknown to the average human world, there is a place where every supernatural being that fuels nightmares resides. Shielded completely from prying ey...
3.2K 313 14
"I was being dragged by my dislocated ankle through the woods. I cried out in pain every time a branch would slice more into the already gaping wound...
2.5K 263 41
Eighteen troubled teenagers wake up one morning to an even more troubling discovery. They are all vampires... Given the chance to correct their Scro...