Black Hearted - An Enemies to...

Por dlcroisette

When billionaire and self-proclaimed heartless Jack suffers his first loss in the boardroom his confidence is... Más

Black Hearted: Before You Begin
Black Hearted: Chapter 1
Black Hearted: Chapter 2
Black Hearted: Chapter 3
Black Hearted: Chapter 4
Black Hearted: Chapter 5
Black Hearted: Chapter 6
Black Hearted: Chapter 7
Black Hearted: Chapter 8
Black Hearted: Chapter 9
Black Hearted: Chapter 10
Black Hearted: Chapter 11
Black Hearted: Chapter 12
Black Hearted: Chapter 13
Black Hearted: Chapter 14
Black Hearted: Chapter 15
Black Hearted: Chapter 16
Black Hearted: Chapter 17
Black Hearted: Chapter 18
Black Hearted: Chapter 19
Black Hearted: Chapter 20
Black Hearted: Chapter 21
Black Hearted: Chapter 22
Black Hearted: Chapter 23
Black Hearted: Chapter 25
Black Hearted: Chapter 26
Black Hearted: Chapter 27
Black Hearted: Chapter 28
Black Hearted: Chapter 29
Black Hearted: Chapter 30
Black Hearted: Chapter 31
Black Hearted: Chapter 32
Black Hearted: Chapter 33
Black Hearted: Chapter 34
Black Hearted: Chapter 35
Black Hearted: Chapter 36
Black Hearted: Chapter 37
Black Hearted: Chapter 38
Black Hearted: Chapter 39
Black Hearted: Chapter 40
Black Hearted: Chapter 41
Black Hearted: Chapter 42
Black Hearted: Chapter 43
Black Hearted: Chapter 44
Black Hearted Chapter 45
Black Hearted: Chapter 46
Black Hearted: Chapter 47
Black Hearted: Chapter 48
Black Hearted: Chapter 49
Black Hearted: Chapter 50
Black Hearted: Chapter 51
Black Hearted: Chapter 52
Black Hearted: Chapter 53
Black Hearted: Chapter 54
Black Hearted: Chapter 55
Black Hearted: Chapter 56
Black Hearted: Chapter 57
Black Hearted: Chapter 58

Black Hearted: Chapter 24

759 63 108
Por dlcroisette

Jack glared at the crack in the ceiling above him and wondered why he wasn't freaking out.

Early morning light seeped in from the small window in the cramped room. Pale purple walls came to life before him as the shadow from a tree outside crept across them. Never one to sleep much, he'd awoken early and confused. Until his weighted blanket moved.

Except he wasn't in his bed. And the woman splayed out on top of him fast asleep, was a thousand times more calming than any weighted blanket.

Panic didn't lick at his throat.

Yes, his mouth was parched, but that was the after affect of drinking too much scotch. So was the dull headache.

Even more surprising: a growing warm sensation tingled in his chest.

How was this so easy? Squished into the tiniest bed known to man, Solana pressed into his side and Jack didn't want to run. Normally, if he let the flavour of the day stay the night, he'd be out of bed before they woke, showering off their perfume.

Jack caressed his cheek along the top of Solana's head and inhaled her citrus scent. Still no sweaty palms, no need to count until the fear diminished. A warm hand sat on his hip, ash blonde hair on his shoulder. Most of the feeling had left his left arm, the appendage busy holding Solana, her shoulders rising and falling softly as she slept.

This morning, he didn't want to move.

Ever.

Memories of last night came in waves. Some were fuzzy, like how he ended up in Solana's living room. And others were crystal clear. Kissing her in said living room, the heat of her lips on his, everything clicking into place as he held her. Ximena in the hall, him in Solana's bedroom, words he never spoke aloud spilling from him.

Jack closed his eyes. He hadn't talked about Mrs. Winston in years. No one cared to mention her. The last time he'd heard her name aloud was when Wolfe casually mentioned between a competitor's stock price and an opportunity for a company take over that his former nanny had passed away. He'd arrived home to grieve with his wife, but their mansion was empty. Ali was at a meeting preparing for one of her numerous charity events. Unable to bear being alone, he took Draven up on his long-standing request to try Cloud Nine and for the first time since marrying Ali, Jack sought solace in another woman's arms.

Guilt pinched at his heart. At not attending Mrs. Winston's funeral and for the excuses he told himself to justify cheating on his wife. They'd drifted apart. Ali lost her spark, growing cold and reserved. He'd never loved Ali. That last one wasn't so much an excuse as more of a realization.

Solana stirred, her leg grazing his thigh, and pins and needles prickled along his numb arm. Jack's eyes popped open.

Anticipation coiled in his stomach. What would she say? What would she do? Would she let him stay longer or kick him out first thing?

She nuzzled into his chest and pulses of pleasure radiated from her touch, travelling north, east, west, and south. Way south. Now his heart accelerated. Her fingers flexed, and he missed their heat. Each move she made as she came to life fascinated him.

The dark roots of her hair morphed into colourless strands as she lifted her head and met his gaze. Hazel eyes, calm and contented with only the embers of the fire he loved flickering in them, inspected him. She looked gorgeous first thing in the morning. Hair mussed, skin glowing, mouth ready for him to capture. He hesitated, second guessing himself. Did she want him to take her lips? Last night she'd put a stop to things in the living room.

Yet she'd let him stay.

She's slept with him.

He bit the inside of his cheek to suppress his grin at that thought. Hadn't she once swore this would never happen?

"Morning." Solana's low, sleepy, sultry voice did things to his insides and his cheek got another gnaw.

He didn't know what to say. "Hey." Brilliant start.

"Hey. We should—" She froze, a creak outside her door. She put her finger to her lips and Jack held his breath. The floor creaked a few more times as someone moved down the hallway. Solana leaned in and whispered. "My abuela. She's awake and making coffee." Warm breath tickled his earlobe, sending hot tendrils of desire through his body. Morning sex was his favourite, right behind all night sex. "We'll have to wait until she jumps in the shower to sneak you out."

"You mean stay here?" Jack pulled her closer. "Like this?"

A faint pink tinted Solana's cheeks, and he had to kiss her. Outside her window, a bird tweeted its morning song as Jack brushed his lips across hers. They didn't disappoint. She took his soft kiss and returned it with a fever that warmed him. Accepting her invitation, he twisted to pin her underneath him. Little Jack liked the way each part of Solana matched his body where she pressed against him.

In the kitchen, wood scraped against wood as a drawer opened. Silverware clinked. Jack's pulse pounded. This was the best way to wake up.

Until Solana broke the kiss, her palm pushing him away as she slid off the bed. Disappointment rocked through Jack. She was kicking him out.

Of course she was. Last night had been a pity moment. Solana's caring heart unable to turn away a desperate and miserable soul. Now she would tell him to leave and he would have no excuse to see her again. He punched the empty spot on the bed where her warmth still lingered as the panic he'd avoided all morning licked at the back of his throat.

Across the room, Solana slipped on a long purple fuzzy robe and, with her back turned to him, shimmied out of the clothes she'd worn last night. Tights replaced the skirt and somehow she donned a bulky sweater without revealing an inch of skin. Under all those layers, he was cut off from her.

He sat upright, straightening his rumpled shirt as much as possible and staring at her bare feet. They walked toward him and as she crouched down, her face came into view.

"Jack." He braced for the command to leave, unable to meet her gaze. "I... I think we should be friends."

Friends? Every cell in his body recoiled at the suggestion. "I don't do friends." His eyes slid to meet hers.

Lava infused her green irises. "So I'm just a piece of ass." She stood up and placed her hand on her hip.

Her attitude infuriated him. Did she not understand? He shot up, staring down at her. "I don't have any friends." He spat the words at her like they could do some damage. "None. Nada. Zilch. No one's interested in the prospect."

And it worked. She blinked at him and her hand fell to her side. "Liar. Dr. Collins?"

"Only interested in the money I give the hospital."

Solana winced at his mention of money. "Fine. The guys at the club, the man on the plane with you."

"Draven?" Jack huffed. "He's a necessary evil. Not my friend."

"You have to have—"

"Someone? I assure you, sweetheart. There's no one." He crossed his arms. "Money and fame makes it impossible for me to trust the intentions of anyone I meet."

Her lips formed a straight line as he glared at her, daring her to deny his claim.

A light tap at the door interrupted the staring match. "I'm going to take my shower now, my Heart and Sol. Best have Jack leave before Luc gets home."

"Crap." Solana's eyes flew to the ceiling.

Jack muscled past her, threw open the door and stormed down the hall. This was a waste of time. Solana wasn't worth the effort he was putting into this... whatever he was doing. She was too dangerous to be around anyhow. He made poor decisions when she was near. Like trying to make her like him. He wasn't sixteen, this wasn't high school. There were plenty of women out there who would like him for who he was and not want to be friends.

Anger pushed his steps forward, and he almost ran into a broad muscle-shirt clad chest.

Abraham stood in the living room, Jack's jacket in hand, a murderous look on his face.

"Jack." Luc ran up and clutched his legs. "What are you doing here?"

The red haze parted at the sight of the little boy and a new sensation pushed into Jack's chest. A light giddiness at the excitement of the child at seeing him. Jack tugged on his pant legs and knelt to look Luc in the eye. "I heard there were pancakes for breakfast."

"You came all the way here for pancakes?"

From his vantage point on the ground, Jack could see Abraham glaring at something behind him. Without looking, he knew it was Solana. He had the urge to pull Solana back into his arms. Or knock the man off his feet. He shouldn't be looking at her like that. No one should.

Jack put his hand on Luc's shoulder and stood. "I heard your abuela makes the best."

"It's true." Luc beamed up at him. "She uses ginger."

"Now Luc, let's not spill all of my secrets to Jack." Ximena appeared in the hallway, wearing a silk turquoise bathrobe with birds of paradise on the cuffs and collar, her hair wound up in pink curlers. "Morning Jack." She leaned in and kissed Jack on the cheek.

The warm sensation bloomed in his chest again. "Morning Mrs. Monero."

Ximena stood beside her granddaughter and rubbed Solana's shoulder. "Abraham, thank you for picking up Luc this morning. Will you be joining us as well?"

Abraham's glare didn't leave Solana. "They're expecting me at the diner. Just need to speak to Solana first." His eyes flickered to Jack and back to Solana. "About her schedule this week."

"Give my love to your parents." Ximena turned and placed a hand on Jack's arm. "Perhaps you could help me in the kitchen?"

Jack couldn't decide which he wanted more. Create a culinary delight like he'd done as a child with Mrs. Winston, or stay and back up Solana with whatever accusations Abraham threw at her. Ximena decided for him, taking his hand. "Let's give these two a moment."

Luc's little fingers entwined in his. "I'll show you where the flour is."

Tearing his eyes from Solana, who adeptly ignored him as she clenched her fists at her side, Jack allowed himself to be led into the kitchen where Ximena offered him an apron. "That lovely suit of yours is a bit wrinkled, but we don't want to ruin it by spilling flour on it."

He wasn't about to be embarrassed about spending the night with Solana. Still, he didn't want this woman to get the wrong impression. "We only talked. Then fell asleep."

Ximena pulled a bowl off a shelf. "Luc, why don't you pick some flowers for the table."

The boy grabbed scissors from a holder on the counter and disappeared out the back door.

Ximena put a hand on Jack's arms. "I gave up the right to comment on my granddaughter's love life a long time ago." She squeezed his bicep. "That doesn't mean I don't care. Tell me, Jack, what are your intentions with Solana?"

"Intentions?"

"Yes. My Heart and Sol likes to give everyone the impression she's indestructible, but that enormous heart of hers has been trampled on too many times for my liking."

Jack took the spoon from Ximena's hand. "I'd never do anything to hurt her." The words rang true as they left his mouth. In fact, he'd crush anyone who so much as made Solana shed a tear. He'd start with her mother, get his investigators to find the woman, find a way to convince her to return to LA and take an interest in Solana's life.

Ximena's warm gaze held his. "I believe you."

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

102K 4.1K 55
IMPORTANT: The story contains lots of swooning moments, funny insults, chaotic and HOT situations, staring contests with a couple of intense blue eye...
1.8K 417 33
Abby's been editing films for a living while swiping left and right on dating apps for the last six years. All she craves is human connection--is it...
6.7K 767 59
#1 in Adultromance🤭 "She's messing up with my brains again!" Stefano shut his eyes tightly and took a deep breath trying to fight off the feeling he...
643K 20.6K 40
***This story contains mature scenes*** ------------------------------------------------------- She doesn't give up... He doesn't let go... They say...