We All Need Heroes

By skybornworks

Hey there! Here you'll find a collection of mixed stories from my debut book 'We All Need Heroes', which cele... More

MAKING ENEMIES IS GOOD
MILLION DOLLAR HOMEPAGE
RUSSIAN SPACE PEN
OASIS' NEW RECORD
BOLD SPONSOR MOVE
EYE OF THE BEHOLDER
PET ROCK
DON'T WIN AWARDS
GREAT MISTAKES
ARIMUS
BUTTON-STORE DISTRICT
THE KNOWLEDGE
SERENDIPITY
WHERE THE ACTION IS
THE MEANING OF KODAK
DISNEYLAND CLEANERS
BEST JOB IN THE WORLD
SANTA MAIL
WINNER AND LOSER
GOOD NEWS ONLY
TOOTHPASTE TUBE
WHOPPER SACRIFICE
THE ROCKY STORY
KHAN ACADEMY
REVOLUTION OF KNOWLEDGE
AMMO WITH FLAVOR
ICON OF FAILURE
CROWDFUNDING
ARTIST STOCK PAYMENT
LORENZO'S OIL
A WALK AROUND BRITAIN
SQUARE MELONS
THE POWER OF NAMES
FAMOUS YET ANONYMOUS
COLONEL SANDERS
COUCHSURFING
SWIMMING FOR NATURE
STOP AND LISTEN
GAMING MARATHONS
THE GAP SAVIOR
SILLY TOY, GREAT VALUE
AULD SOD GIFTS
EMPTY BOXES
SIGHT THROUGH SOUND
SWAN VESTA
REAL LIFE SUPERHEROES
FOUND SONGS
ROVIO AND NASA STORY
THE CABIN OF BON IVER
UNLEASHING THE IDEAVIRUS
FOR HUMANS ONLY
CHOCOLATE WEBSITE

THE TRADE OF A LIFETIME

99.8K 439 88
By skybornworks

Chapter: Absurd Yet True

In 2005, Canadian blogger Kyle MacDonald had bills to pay and a patient girlfriend who was paying the rent while he was searching for work. He also had a red paperclip and a big dream. Kyle wanted to be able to provide for himself and his girlfriend. He dreamed of owning his own house. One day he got this crazy idea. Kyle decided to put an advertisement on the popular classified advertising website Craigslist, with the intention of trading that red paperclip of his for something better. It didn’t take long before he got contacted by a girl from Vancouver who offered him a fish pen in exchange for his paperclip. He then traded the fish pen for a doorknob and the doorknob for a camping stove. Kyle seemed to be on a steady course to bigger and better things. He started a website where he shared his trading stories with the world. At the end of this project, he had traded his way from this single red paperclip to a house (!) in a series of online trades, all in over the course of a year.
    Kyle was inspired by the childhood game Bigger and Better and his website received a considerable amount of attention for tracking the transactions. In 2007, Kyle released the book One Red Paperclip: How a Small Piece of Stationery Turned into a Great Big Adventure.

Possible Moral
Believe it or not, to get that house for the price of a paperclip, Kyle MacDonald only had to make 14 trades. There is a valuable lesson to be learned here: Folks who are patient and adept at recognizing value can actually get more through bartering than by selling the same item for cash. Simply put, both bartering and patience are skills worth mastering. In less than a year, Kyle took a one-cent paperclip and turned it into a house worth tens of thousands of dollars. Good luck getting returns like that from the stock market.

Story from We All Need Heroes: Stories of the Brave and Foolish.
For Paperback, ePUB and Kindle editions visit:
http//www.weallneedheroes.com

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 107 29
♡Requests Are Forever Opened!♡ Hello Everybody/Everypony. This is the new and improved story idea book. I'll be uploading my ideas here from now on...
4.3K 78 18
Okay, I will try to update every so often on this and I will do as much as I can on each chapter.
155 12 15
this will be a reader insert, gender-neutral pronouns and no specified race, so everyone can enjoy! "I remember when I was asked this question, now...