Upper Orders//Benedict Bridge...

By stephie177

Diana Featherington is the only child of the younger brother of the Baron Featherington. With the passing of... More

⚘one⚘
⚘two⚘
⚘three⚘
⚘four⚘
⚘five⚘
⚘six⚘
⚘seven⚘
⚘eight⚘
⚘nine⚘
⚘ten⚘
⚘eleven⚘
⚘twelve⚘
⚘thirteen⚘
⚘fourteen⚘
⚘fifteen⚘
⚘sixteen⚘
⚘seventeen⚘
⚘eighteen⚘
⚘nineteen⚘
⚘twenty⚘
⚘twenty one⚘
⚘twenty three⚘
⚘twenty four⚘
⚘twenty five⚘
⚘twenty six⚘
⚘twenty seven⚘
⚘twenty eight⚘
⚘epilogue⚘

⚘twenty two⚘

7.2K 197 3
By stephie177

I find Daphne in her room readying for her mother's ball.

"I have been looking all over for you," Daphne tells me.

"I have been busy with William," I tell her.

"And my brother," Daphne teases.

I cannot help but blush. "Why were you looking for me?"

"I wanted to ask about the hunt," Daphne tells me. "I cannot get a thing out of Anthony."

"Did you expect to?" I ask.

Daphne shakes her head. "I suppose not."

"It was a hunt like any other I suppose. Though we did not actually shoot anything," I tell her.

"And Anthony and Miss Sharma?" Daphne asks. "Did they speak much?"

"Some. Though I do not know what about," I tell her.

"It is just... I have always thought Anthony would marry someone more like him," Daphne tells me.

"Someone like Miss Sharma," I state.

Daphne nods slightly. "Though I would not admit it to anyone but you."

"I have known Anthony my whole life and I cannot help but feel the same," I confess. "Though we cannot do anything about it. Anthony will marry whoever he chooses whether he loves them or not."

Lady Bridgerton's ball is magnificent. I had no doubts about it. Benedict holds his hand out to me.

"Would you do me the honors of a dance?" Benedict asks.

I pretend to think about it before smiling. "How could I refuse my handsome husband?"

Benedict and I take to the floor. Then I realise he is not the only Bridgerton on the dance floor.

"You are not going to believe it," I state.

"Believe what?" Benedict asks.

"Eloise is dancing with Lord Morrison," I tell him.

Benedict turns me so he can get a look. "Surely my mother's doing."

"She does not look very happy about it," I offer.

Just then Eloise walks off of the dance floor away from Lord Morrison.

"Oh no," I remark.

"You know my sister does not like to dance," Benedict says.

"I do not mean it like that. Eloise does not like anything to do with courtship or finding a husband," I tell him. "But she must eventually."

"I would not hold my breath on that," Benedict states.

Benedict and I move from the dance floor towards a refreshment table. I notice at the start of the next song Anthony and Miss Sharma are dancing.

"Is this a night for strange dance partners?" I ask.

Benedict chuckles. "I suppose Miss Edwina should want her sister to talk to Anthony. She is awaiting a proposal from him."

"I suppose Miss Edwina would want her sister's permission," I reason. "Though I do not know why that must be given on a dance floor."

"When have the Bridgertons ever done anything at the proper time or place," Benedict jokes.

Just as suddenly as Eloise left Anthony does the same. He leaves Miss Sharma alone on the dance floor. Her sister looks worried. Maybe Miss Sharma said the wrong thing to Anthony.

I head out of the ballroom following after Anthony. I head to the study knowing he will be there. I do not bother to knock. I realise my mistake when I spot Anthony and Miss Sharma standing rather close to one another almost kissing.

"Oh! I am so sorry," I tell them.

"Diana," Anthony calls out.

I ignore him as I close the door and walk away. I stop at William's nursery. I take a breath before walking inside. I smile down at my sleeping baby boy. I hear the door open.

"It is not what you think," Anthony says. 

"Not here," I tell him.

Anthony looks down at his nephew before pulling me out into the hallway. He does not let go of my arm until we are in a sitting room.

"It is not what you think," Anthony repeats.

"I am trying very much not to think about it at all," I say as I pour myself a drink.

"Diana..." Anthony starts.

"You are courting her sister," I remind him.

"And I have every intention of bringing it to a point," Anthony tells me.

"Why?" I ask.

"Why? Because I am courting her. Because I've decided," Anthony states.

"You've decided?" I ask. "Should love not factor into your decision?"

"I see no reason for it to," Anthony admits.

"I shall repeat your own words back to you," I tell him, "'You are lucky Miss Sharma does not have a brother. Otherwise, you would be heading for a duel.'"

"This is not the same thing, Diana," Anthony argues.

"It most certainly is, Anthony. You were alone. Quite close to one another," I state.

"Only there is one significant difference. Nothing, in fact, happened," Anthony insists.

I scoff. "It is clear that you have affection for Miss Sharma. The two of you cannot seem to stay away from one another."

"Because she is aggravating!" Anthony shouts.

"Oh, is that what I just witnessed?" I question. I can tell Anthony is getting worked up. "There is obviously something between you. And I know that this is not as you would wish it, but you must be honest with yourself. Because one way or another, these kind of feelings always have a way of coming to the surface."

"And what kind of feelings are those?" Anthony asks.

I laugh lightly. "Love."

"Then I know what I must do," Anthony tells me before leaving the room.

I walk out of the sitting room. I start back to my room knowing Benedict will be waiting for me.

"Diana!"

I turn and see Penelope racing towards me.

"Penelope? Are you alright?" I ask.

"Prudence is betrothed to Cousin Jack," Penelope tells me.

I feel my jaw drop. "You must be joking."

Penelope shakes her head. "No. I wish I was."

"How did this happen?" I question.

"Prudence and Cousin Jack were found alone in the orangery," Penelope explains.

"He compromised her?" I ask.

"No." Penelope shakes her head. "She planned it to look that way. Mama sent her there."

"I wish I could say I do not believe this but..." I laugh bitterly, "Your Mama has just trapped her own daughter."

"And Prudence is alright with it," Penelope tells me. "She wants Lady Whistledown to write all about it."

"Does she not realise that it is not some insult about your citrus dresses. It could ruin your family. It could ruin her. It could ruin your Mama. You could be run out of town," I say.

"She thinks I am jealous," Penelope tells me. "She said she is the new Lady Featherington."

I sigh. "I wish I could say there were some way for me to fix this Pen, but I do not think there is." Penelope nods. "But if things get worse you know you can move in with Benedict and I."

"Thank you, Diana," Penelope tells me.

"I do not wish to see you get hurt in all of this," I tell her.

I knock on Aunt Featherington's bedroom door. After a second and third knock she finally comes to answer the door. She has already changed into a nightgown and has a dressing robe tied around her.

"Mrs Bridgerton, I do hope there is a reason you are at my door at this time of night," Aunt Featherington tells me.

"You tricked Prudence and Lord Featherington into marriage," I state.

Aunt Featherington looks around as if to see if anyone had heard my accusation.

"I am doing what is best for my family," Aunt Featherington tells me.

"I am your family," I remind her. "Or do you wish to forget that?" Aunt Featherington does not say anything. "Have things really come to this? Marrying Prudence to Lord Featherington for what? Money? Title?"

"I am not going to have Lord Featherington throw me out of my own home," Aunt Featherington tells me.

"So, this is about money?" I question. "And title?"

"You do not understand," Aunt Featherington insists. "You are married to a man you love. You have more money than you need."

"If money is what you need, I can provide some," I tell her.

"I will not need your money once Prudence is married to Lord Featherington," Aunt Featherington tells me.

"You have lost your mind this time," I tell her. "Do not come crawling to me when this whole plan leaves you without money, or respect, or any prospects."

I open the door to my bedroom and close it behind me. I lean against it with a sigh.

"I was beginning to wonder where you had gone," Benedict tells me.

"Prudence is engaged to Lord Featherington," I say before I can stop myself.

Benedict sits down on the edge of the bed. "I did not realise I had missed so much."

"This is serious, Benedict," I state. "Prudence is going to ruin her life by listening to her mother."

Benedict stands up and walks towards me and places his hands on my upper arms. "Lady Featherington is incapable of staying out of her daughter's affairs."

"She is making Prudence marry her cousin," I state.

"If Prudence agrees to it, I'm afraid there is not much you can do," Benedict tells me.

I nod my head. "I think I need sleep."

Benedict laughs. "Sleep does one good when they do not get up multiple times to check on their child in the middle of the night."

"And the only way you know that is because you do the same," I argue.

"You know me well," Benedict says.

I smile. "I find it helps to know one's husband when they are married."

Benedict laughs. "Maybe you should pass that advice on."

Dearest gentle reader, while much occurred at the Bridgerton country visit, this author feels not all is fit to print. Especially when so much is already known by far too many members of the ton. But if you thought we would reach the end of this journey without this trusted author finding a truly delectable morsel of gossip, then you are sorely mistaken. While Prudence Featherington seems to have secured her match, it was not the only occurrence of note.

I stand outside of Aubrey Hall with all the Bridgertons. The guests are leaving. The Sharmas and Lady Danbury are the last to make their way to their carriage.

"Wait," Anthony says as he steps out of the front door.

"Lord Bridgerton," Miss Sharma says.

"Might I speak with you?" Anthony asks.

"Of course," Miss Sharma tells him.

"That was meant for Miss Edwina," Anthony tells her.

"My lord?" Miss Edwina asks.

Anthony gets down on one knee. "Miss Edwina Sharma. Will you marry me?"

"Yes." Miss Edwina laughs happily. "Yes! Yes! I shall be your viscountess. I shall marry you."

Anthony Bridgerton is now betrothed to Miss Edwina Sharma. Victory, indeed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

189K 6.4K 31
Delilah has never truly had a good relationship with anyone. Her father had made it no secret that he did not want her and had not paid her any care...
91.4K 2.1K 14
London, 1814 . Alina Wellesley, the daughter of the renowned Duke of Wellington is ready to make her debut in society and find a husband. However, wi...
164K 7.4K 22
❝ i don't suppose you remember me, do you benedict? ❞ ❝ belle! you've grown ... i mean you're a lady now! ❞ ❝ i think 'lady' might be a bit...
28.6K 490 11
Starting first season of Bridgerton Addison Wilson daughter of Viscount Henry Wilson and Viscountess Veronica Wilson is set out to go on the marriage...