Sovereignty

By jmkrb1

BOOK 2 of Serendipity ! Just when Carlotta thought she found her serendipity in Greek Mafia Don Evangelos Kos... More

Characters
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
So angelo's always been a bitch, huh?
You stole my kill
Lovesick puppy
The misunderstanding
If you tell, I'll throw you in the pool
I love you

31

29.2K 890 492
By jmkrb1

I'm jolted awake by the loud slam of a door downstairs, and the sound of some yelling and squealing coming from downstairs.

My eyes are groggy and cheeks dry from what I assumed were tears.

Fuck, I'd really cried myself to sleep-

How long have I been asleep?

I groggily grab my phone from the nightstand and see several messages from Giovanni, the time currently reading 4:02pm.

Fucking hell I'd been asleep for hours-

Car's laugh rings out from downstairs and I sigh, burying my face in my pillow as I think of my brothers.

Romeo, who is currently serving an unjust sentence in prison, Massimo, who is recovering from a fucking overdose, and Giovanni, doing everything he can to treat Mass.

And of course fucking Angelo, who has a case of being the biggest asshole on the planet. But the difference was I had no sympathy for him. None at all.

I lift my head out of my pillow to read the texts Gio had sent me over the course of 16 hours.

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Send me the recording when u can bro.

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Made it to the hospital.

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Mass is resting, on a drip and currently comatose.

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Police are talking with Angelo rn.

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Just spoke with the police, I need that recording.

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

U okay?

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Don't let ur grandad ass be falling asleep on me now man

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Call me when you can.

I can't help but crack a small smile at the contact name, which Car had obviously put in, somehow having gotten a hold of my phone all those months ago.

I immediately called Gio's number, feeling bad at my long sleep but to be honest, I was exhausted.

Physically and mentally.

He picks up on the third ring, "Fuck, I was worried for a minute there fratello, you good?" Gio asks, voice sounding tired.

(brother)

For some reason, I didn't even think about our strained relationship over the past weeks, sliding automatically back into our natural interaction, "Si mi dispiace. Stavo dormendo." I sigh, rubbing a hand over my face as I hear Car laughing downstairs again.

(yes, i'm sorry. I was sleeping.)

Shit, how could I tell her this?

"No, I'm glad you got some sleep. Mass is asleep too- I mean, well he hasn't woken up since he OD'd." Giovanni rambles, and my paternal insects kick into gear again.

"Is he okay? Are you okay?" I ask him and he sighs on the other end of the line.

"I don't know. To both of those questions." He replied truthfully, and I completely understood his response.

"What about Angelo?" I say, words laced with a hint of venom towards the man.

"That's the only good news. They took him down to the police department to hold whilst they investigate the case further. Let's just say everyone has their weaknesses and I got Angelo to play along for a bit. They let me stay here with Mass considering Angelo is the guardian of the household- despite us all being legal." He explains and I can't get over the first part he said- how the fuck has Angelo agreed to that?

"Do I even want to know what you have on Angelo to make him do that?" I ask, sounding impressed by Giovanni's skills, and also his change in attitude towards this whole situation.

The more we spoke, the more it felt like we were genuine brothers again- excluding Angelo, and for the better.

Giovanni chuckles humourlessly, "What is Angelo most scared of?"

I racked my brain, "The dark?" I answered, perplexed.

This got a genuine scoff of amusement out of Gio, and it put a smile on my face knowing I'd cause it one way or another, "Well yes, fucking pussy is scared of the dark but no. What is he scared of that no mafia Don would be expected to be scared of?" He asks me again.

Oh. Oh.

"Death." I mutter absentmindedly.

"Mhm." Gio responds, "He knows I'm not scared to die and Massimo is practically already on the brink of death. I wouldn't have hesitated to kill him, I have nothing to lose, which extended death to myself when people found out- be that the Underworld or the law."

"The bastard would really rather live a prison sentence than die?" I ask incredulously.

"He's a pussy. Always has been." He mutters back, which confirms my theory of Gio not backing him anymore. Though I question whether he ever really did...

"I'm coming home soon. With Car- and Romeo." I tell him and he's quiet a minute, before I realise he doesn't know what the fuck is happening over here.

"Romeo? He's with you? What the fuck happened Lorenzo, wait- why are you even still in the UK?" He bombards me with questions, and I cringe at the awkward situation I've put myself in.

"Fuck, yeah Romeo and Car are with me. They're fine." I lied, "Look we'll be back hopefully within a week. We'll catch you up then, okay?" I tell him, hoping he'll take the bait- not wanting him to stress with two other siblings who are in danger.

He hesitates, "... Okay." He says before sighing loudly, "Just send me over that recording, yeah? I'll keep you updated." He concludes.

I nod, then realise he can't fucking see me, "Yeah, me too. Stay strong, ok?" I told him.

"Yeah." He breathes, "Ti amo. Ci sentiamo presto." He says before hanging up the call.

(love you. Talk soon.)

I don't lower my phone from my ear immediately, a little in shock at his last words.

A knock on my door makes me put my phone down beside me though and stand up from my rumpled guest bed, suddenly feeling bad for the state of the room.

"Yeah?" I call out softly and the door creaks open, Car's head popping through, brown hair falling over her shoulders.

She smiles at me softly, "Hi."

Her smile is infectious, "Ciao."

(hi)

She takes my response as an invitation to come inside and she steps fully into the room, not closing the door behind her.

"Want to get some frozen yoghourt?" She asks, swaying on her feet a little as she looks up to me.

I furrow my brows at the strange request.

She expands, "Well, it's actually what Levi and I used to do when he was in a slump, ya know- but maybe you'd like to do it as well?" She asks hesitantly, picking at her acrylic nails which have now grown out a little- but still look nice.

So she knows I'm upset...

I shift my attention from her nails to her face, clocking the fact she's just asked me to hang out with her. My answer didn't need any forethought. "Of course."

She drops her hands to her sides and grins, reaching to grab my hand, "Let's go!"

She drags me down the hallway and I just barely have time to grab my coat and wallet on the way out of my room.

All the other boys are sitting in the lounge when we get down, glancing over at us when Car makes our presence known, "We're going to get frozen yoghourt- Mateo I'm taking your car!" She exclaims.

All the boys look at me as if they had forgotten I was even here- before Mateo scowls.

"Firstly, we're in England. We don't have 'frozen yoghurt'." He says with quotation mark fingers, like he didn't believe in the concept, "Go to McDonalds and get a mcFlurry like a normal person." He tacks on, and Car pouts before she perks up at the idea of McDonalds.

She grins cheekily, "Does that mean I can take your car?"

Mateo leans back on the sofa and smiles back, "You'll have to owe me something." He says, sounding completely innocent- apart from the fact Andreas not so subtly smirked whilst scrolling through his phone.

What the fuck-

"List." Carlotta suddenly says sternly, all amusement gone from her now hard stare.

This seems to trigger something in both boys and they clamp their mouths shut, not saying another word and keeping their gazes on their phones, away from Car completely.

I look down to Car who smirks and turns to grab Mateo's keys from the side table. I follow her idly.

"Car." Andrei speaks up from behind us, and she turns to look, myself looking over my shoulder slightly to see Andrei already looking at us.

"ты будешь в порядке с ним?" He asks Car, sliding his gaze from me to her.

(will you be okay with him?)

It's times like these that I forget Car speaks several languages.

"я буду в порядке." She responds and Andrei shares a glance with Milan, nodding his head at Car in some sort of approval.

(I'll be okay.)

With that, Car meets my gaze again and smiles, leading me out of the door with a yell goodbye to all the boys.

Gracie and Amelia were out for work, which left us alone for this evening. With 7 boys staying in the house, I couldn't see that as a good idea.

Car chucks the keys at me, obviously wanting me to drive and I shake my head at her, opening the car door for her.

"Principessa." I tell her mockingly and she rolls her eyes and gets in the car.

(princess)

I go over to the drivers side and slide in myself, turning the ignition.

"Rome will be the principe in this family." She comments and I frown.

(prince)

"We'll see about that. That Silver kid is too arrogant for his own good." I grumble, driving down the driveway of the big house and out the gates.

"I talked to him today." Car mutters, fiddling with the gold rings adorning her fingers.

"Silver?" I ask with a scowl and she shakes her head in my peripheral vision.

"Romeo." She says, and my eyes practically bug out of my head. "I would've let you talk to him, but he didn't know we were together- otherwise he would have called us both." She is quick to explain and I soften my expression.

"No, no Car it's okay, I understand." I reassure her, and she relaxes a little in her seat, "Is he okay?" I ask her and she smiles.

"Yeah, he's holding up well. Seems like he and Gigi are getting along." She says with a smile.

With that one smile I can tell how genuinely happy Gigi makes her and the idea that Rome and him are friends too, that makes her beyond happy.

In that case, I would be more than willing to make an effort with the guy.

"That's good." I murmur, trying to focus on driving on the correct side of the road, "I- uh, we'll all travel back home together after all this right?" I ask her.

She nods much to my relief, "Yes of course. We'll be happy to let you stay with us. I know obviously Angelo will be at your place..." She trails off and I scrunch my nose.

He might not be for very long. Fuck, I need to tell her whats going on.

She continues though, "But hey, maybe Romeo will become prince- no king. Then you have the whole of Buckingham Palace to stay in." She smirks and I make a show of glaring at her, showing my discontent with Silver.

"I already have one little sibling dating a power hungry man," I say, giving her a pointed look, to which the proud little motherfucker just smirks at, "I don't need another."

She shrugs, "I don't know. Rome sounded pretty flustered over the phone when I told him." She sing-songs teasingly.

My grip tightens on the wheel. "Whatever."

I pull into a McDonald's parking lot and park the car, turning to face Carlotta, "What McFlurry do you want? On me." I smile.

She smiles back at me sweetly, "Why do you think I brought you for?" She flutters her lashes and I narrow my eyes on her, but chuckle when she does.

"Ragazza sfacciata." I say, lighting punching her in the stomach.

(cheeky girl)

She shoves me away smiling, "Surprise me. I'm not sure what they have in the UK..." She trails off, as if this was the most important thought she had at this moment.

I roll my eyes, "Okay, lock the doors when I go get them, yeah?" I tell her more sternly and she nods.

"Mhm." She says, taking off her belt and folding her legs beneath her on the seat, getting comfortable.

I smile at the idea of us doing something so familial and domestic together.

I give her one last look and get out of the car, checking my wallet is in my pocket.

When I know it is, I head over to the entrance of the McDonalds, looking back to make sure Car has indeed locked the doors.

I queue up and eventually get to the front, having analysed the menu whilst I wait.

"Could I please get an M&M McFlurry, and uh, a Flake McFlurry?" I ask the worker, who looks bored and relays my order.

I pay and wait to pick them up, glancing out the window and seeing Car in the car on her phone, laughing at her screen slightly.

She's no doubt on tik tok-

My order number is called out and I collect the two ice creams, making my way out of the store and back to the car.

Carlotta looks up at me with happy eyes through the windshield as I walk across the parking lot, and I smile back, cringing inside.

Maybe McFlurry's will help deliver the news about Massimo a little softer...

____________________________________________________________

i want a mcflurry now.

hope you enjoyed reading!!

(i also realised we're on chapter 31 and gigi + rome are still in prison 😭 i'm so sorry it wont be much longer... then you'll all get the fluff and smut you've been patiently waiting for 😌)

ily more than a mcflurry :) and see you next time <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Macrina By Maya F

General Fiction

64.8K 2.6K 58
"Honestly, I think you're really gonna like New York." "New York? Like New York City, New York?" "The one and only," my cousin grinned, taking a swig...
38.1K 1.1K 15
Although she was surrounded by love she couldn't help but feel hollow and broken. She woke up every day, restless after a tiring and horrific night S...
415K 20.1K 44
Book 4 of the Morelli Mafia Series. Please note you must read books 1,2,3 first. I was lost, believed I was abandoned. That couldn't further from th...
347K 6.9K 41
Hey, this book is not finished, but I have been asked to keep it up! I am rewriting it right away, because there were major plot holes and it was jus...