Reborn (Sequel to Wilting Ros...

By Ortiz-Novels

I've had dreams of a garden. Dreams where I find myself weeping near a fountains edge. Where a pair of blue o... More

Copyright © 2015 by Mara L. Ortiz
Dreams
Sudden
Medic
Research
Haunting Dreams
Bargin
Wreck
Peace
Lesson on History
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Dreams VS Reality
Wrong Impression
Looking to Buy
Step One
Step Two
Step Three
Step Four
Step Five
Preparations
Memory Lane
Decisions
Heart Manor
Sweet Surrender
A Tale of a Lifetime
Terminal Greet
A New Life

A Stroll Through History

9.4K 514 58
By Ortiz-Novels

Chapter Twenty-Two

~Dathan~

After personally supervising every worker I had hired to fix up the Manor, I vaguely became aware of cousin Kyle telling me about a museum they had made in my family's honor. I was still getting use to accepting who I was and the life I had once lived. I was glad I hadn't forgotten this life, or else I'd look the fool trying to handle a cell phone or a car.

As I drove away from the old manor I took route in search of my history. I was curious to know what they had gotten down as fact and what things they had exaggerated in. Had my family done justice for my former life or had they overdone it and exploited my name?

The shrilling sound of my cell phone pulled me from my thought's. I answered on the second ring, glad that I could speak to whomever called using my vehicle.

"Dathan, honey. It's your mother." She said.

My fingers gripped the steering wheel. Granted that this woman had given birth to me and had raised me, I still missed my old mother. Rita Heart. After the disaster she had created out of my marriage to Scarlett she had put an effort to change. She was determined to win my late wife's affection and trust. It hadn't taken her long to realize the beautiful person that Scarlett was. She too fell in love with her daughter in law quickly.

My mother often spend time Scarlett's presence, aiding her in anything she needed. When our twin daughters were born to us, the smile on my mother's face would be forever etched in my memory.

"If I hadn't intervene in this marriage, maybe I would have seen these beautiful girls a lot sooner." She wept.

However, no matter how disappointed my mother was in herself and the actions she had done, my wife had always been there to reassure her that the past was the past.

"Hello mother, how was your day?" I asked.

She paused for a moment and then she replied, "Are you on some kind of pill? I've never heard you talk so gentlemanly to me." She chuckled.

"Don't mind me, I'm alright." I replied. I had to remember that times had changed and with it the manner in which one spoke. Now that I was in touch with my old self it was a bit difficult to stop my old grammar from escaping my mouth.

"I wanted to talk to you about this weekends event. I've heard you've taken it upon yourself to personally handle the preparations. Why?" She asked.

It was my turn to pause and really consider what I was about to respond.

"I'm trying to impress a lady." I honestly replied.

"A lady? You mean a young girl?" She asked.

"Yes."

"Dathan, if this young lady can't see you for who you really are, then why go through all the trouble to charm her with material things?"

"I will honestly say that she is still having a bit of trouble understanding who I really am and who she really is. Nevertheless, I am determined to win her over." I responded.

"You are not making any sense, dear. But alright, if you know what you are doing I'll leave you be. Just make sure that the catering arrives on time. I don't know were we are going to tell the story if there is no fountain." She lastly muttered.

"Don't worry, I have prepared a very special place for said story." I said with a confident smile.

"I guess that's a good thing, when can I stop by to see this manor? I am curious to know what you've done with the place." She said.

"All should be finished before the big day." I replied.

"Wow, you work quickly."

I gave my leave and she ended the call with a goodbye. I was determined to get things settled in before the grand unveiling. Not to mention that I was also pulling a few strings to bring a few relatives from far away.

This gathering had to be perfect and I was determined to make it so. Things had run smoothly so far. There was little doubt in my mind that my plan wouldn't work. The only thing keeping me on edge was Aria, would she show, or would she decide that it was best to keep her distance?

I pushed the negative feeling to the far back of my mind. The last thing I wanted to think about was Aria not showing. She was the reason why I had bought the manor and put a small dent in my wallet. I'd have to make this trip to the museum short. I was counting on the gardeners to revive her old garden.

Aria was the guest of honor and I was overjoyed to know that soon she'd be in my arms. Right where she had always belonged. I felt my heart skip a beat at the memories I held dear to my heart.

Reaching the parking lot I waved at the security guard standing in the small booth and drove right in. Turning the engine off I stared out to the tall and miraculous red brick building in front of me. I took a breath before getting off.

I was, once again, stepping into the past. My heart raced as I closed my eyes and gripped the steering wheel. Was I ready to look at the many memories I had once lived?

Curiosity won me over as I finally coughed up the courage to slip out of the car and walk towards the side walk that cut over the road. As I grew near I felt my breath come in short. What awaited me inside?

"Mr.Heart, is that you Sir?" The guard called out.

I stopped and turned to look over my shoulder. A tall and burly man walked in my direction dressed in a cream colored security suit.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked.

"You don't need to park in the visitors lot Sir, you have your own personal reserved spot up front near the building just so you know." He pointed out.

"Thank you, I'll make sure to remember that next time." I replied.

He tipped his hat, the gesture taking me back to the past. Our coach drivers had always had the courtesy of doing the action when we arrived at our destination. It felt odd not to tip the man, it was always custom back in my days to do so.

Pushing the idea out of my head I headed towards the building feeling my stomach knot in the most oddest way. The familiar feeling had always happened when I had begun to take notice of Scarlett during my time of illness.

Before long the handle was within my grasp. Stepping in I felt the cool of the air hit my face. My eyes stared at a grand sign welcoming me in.

The large sign stood tall and firm, a picture of my father and mother at one side in black and white. I felt my chest tightened as I looked into their faces. There was no expression, merely a serious look as they stared into the camera. Walking closer I ignored the words at one side giving the visitor a description.

I smiled as I looked into my mothers crystal eyes, of course the portrait could not show just how beautiful an alive they actually looked but I could remember looking into them as if it was yesterday.

"Hello mother, father." I whispered. I felt tears brim as so many memories filled me. I could recall her arms embracing me while I slept through the rain and thunder. How could I forget the many words of wisdom my father had shared. Although I was a fool to ignore his word, no other advice could have steered me straight.

Taking a deep breath I walked around the large portrait and walked towards the large opening. The hard wood cherry oak floor shined ever so brightly reflecting the beautiful chandeliers above. I took in the large foyer before stepping inside.

At the entrance to the museum was a donation box. The donations would be given to those less fortunate around the world. I gladly placed money inside before finally stepping in.

My eyes shifted to the floor. It changed from the hard wood gloss to a carpet office the color of orange red. The smell of lime and freshness filled the air as I walked over to signs pointing in different directions.

"Mr. Heart, what an honor to have you visit us on this day." Came a kind voice. Turning my attention to an elderly man he greeted me with a toothy grin. I nodded in response as he stood barely reaching my shoulder. Was it so easy to point out a Heart? Then again I supposed we were a well known family all over Harland, who wouldn't recognize me after being exploited all
over the news.

"I have to admit, this is my first visit." I replied.

"Well, don't feel guilty, Sir. It's only been open for four months." He chuckled.

One glance at his name tag and it wasn't long before I was addressing him by his first name.

"Samuel, it was nice to meet you." I said, shaking his hand.

"Would you like me to give you a tour? It's my job to show those who visit." He offered.

"Lead the way." I said with a smile.

With a nod he proceeded to tuck his hands behind his back, taking the route towards "Our History" he led me through a hall with many pictures. He stopped at the end of the hall and pointed over to a large frame displaying a field. The photograph was a faded brown, the many rows of crops showing a strong and healthy leave.

"Here we are, at the beginning of The Heart Dynasty. Now you may now this or may not, but this field was the first of many a young William Heart had purchased in hopes of starting his new plantation. The year was 1756, he was but twenty years of age with only a few dollars to his name. However, he strived to do the very best to rise to the top." Samuel said.

I felt my heart speed up as he proceeded to teach me how our family name began from a small purchase of only two hundred dollars back in 1756. My father was young and hungry for success. I could picture him looking over the small land, watching his crops slowly grow. I knew the feeling myself. I was but his age when he had given me a small land to work from.

"Things weren't easy then. Harland was known for growing some of the ripes vegetables and fruits, but only a few pieces of land were successful in doing so. Sir William Heart's dream was to purchase each land, determined to be the best that he could be." He went on to say.

I smiled as he walked over to the next picture, my father stood tall, his back to the camera as he dressed in suspenders, his black pants and boots laid caked in mud.

"New to the ways of farming and working a field, the young man was not so easily welcomed in the crowd of old men who had experience. He had to learn on his own that if left unattended his fields could be infested with bugs and rain could flood every bit of his good crop. Young William began to learn the hard way to push himself to do better."

I did not dare interrupt. My attention was fully focused on his words as he went about telling the history of my family in a well respected manner. I grew in awe to see how my father struggled to rise to the top, to become better and wiser at his job. I cherished every word and every photograph as he led me to the end of the hall. A picture of my mother and father's wedding was printed large and beautifully for all to see. They held one another the photograph displaying my mother's bright white dress.

She gaze out, her eyes held a strong expression while her gloved hands laid tenderly in his. My father looked in her direction, dressed in a tailored black suit, his hair fashioned to a side.

"Once his success finally reached a stable level, the young man now a grown man decided to wed his long time fiancee, Lady Rita Louve." Samuel explained.

My brother's were very much present in my mind as he led me into my own history and journey as a young boy to an adult. It painted me to see that there was only three pictures of the young boys I had grown to love and cherish. After Scarlett and I had wed for the second time my brother's had come from their studies to finally stay with my mother and father.

Elijah Heart and Isaac Heart had grown to be successful investors. They too had married and bore beautiful daughters and sons. That is all that was to say about them. The entire area focused purely on me. I felt myself grow tense as Samuel led me to the far end of large room and stood before a glass case.

I neared it with caution feeling my skin prickle with an edgy sensation.

"Here we have a pair of shoes the young Dathan Heart wore as a young boy. A pair of leather..."

"Samuel, you are needed at the front. I am so sorry to interrupt, Mr. Heart. I will do the best that I can to make sure he finishes giving you a tour." Said a woman. Samuel nodded and shook my hand one last time before he and the woman disappeared through the door.

My eyes moved back to the pair of shoes I had worn as a small boy. They were encased in glass, but never the less they were still caked in old mud and the many dents I had put into them. I could vaguely remember tying the laces to them.

"Dathan Heart Senior's shoes. As a young boy he loved to run around and play with his many cousins. As you can see the evidence of playing around mudd puddles is still seen today in his leathered brown shoes." I read.

It wasn't entirely a lie, I had played with my cousins on several occasions but it wasn't the reason why they were so muddy. I had often insisted in going with my father to the fields. The dried old mud on those shoes belonged to a field of onions I had often ran around in.

Looking around the large room so many things caught my attention. Not only did the room display my old leathered shoes but it also held many treasures such as pictures of me as a babe and as a small child. In another glass case were clothes I had worn at the age of six. The shirts were tainted yellow from age an the brown and black pants were faded. Some of the buttons were missing from the small coats on display as well.

Nearing a large round table I looked down to see the many pages I had writen on as a teenger in school. Grades were displayed and even an old tattered love note I had given a girl named Sara.

A chuckle escaped my lips as I recalled the shy brunette. Nothing had ever come of the attraction. In all honesty I would have never thought of Sara had it not been for this letter.

"Dathan Heart, you were one bloody fool." I muttered under my breath with a chuckle.

I felt a warmth envelope me as I finished seeing the rest of the things on display before moving to the next room. As I entered the cream colored painted walls of the next room I felt my heart stop. There before me behind large walls of glass stared back her wedding dress.

My eyes gathered tears as I cautiously stepped closer. My old suit too stood at her side, even the hat I had worn on that day. At the very bottom to a side were our shoes and wedding bands. I felt my throat shut as I walked up the the tall glass and placed a hand over it.

Closing my eyes I felt a tear spill as beautiful memories filled my head with that day. We had just moved into our new home and I had revealed to her the most beautiful gift. My heart raced to remember our night together, the night that brought us closer. I could still feel the warmth of her skin underneath my fingertips as I gently tugged the dress off her shoulders.

Turning from the display I wiped my tears and fought to regain my sanity. I couldn't break down in the middle of this room. If Samuel return I would look the fool weeping over a wedding dress. I needed a moment to remember that even though our old lives were gone we were here to build another.

With a light sigh I turned to look at our wedding clothes and took an even deeper breath. Her dress was still as white as ever, long and beautiful. Even her gloves has been placed on the mannequin along with her veil.

And so I proceeded to read our history, discovering that our first marriage was not mentioned and even Camille had been left out of the story. They had patched up our crazy love story into one big fairy tale. I was disappointed to realize they had painted a perfect portrait of me. Why? I did not have the least of clues, but deep down I wanted the real truth to be told.

Moving along to the next area of the museum I looked upon some of my old things such as combs I used for my hair, my old cologne bottles and even a pair of my pajamas were on display. So many pictures filled this side of the museum. I cherished each one as I looked into the eyes of my twin daughters and that of my son.

I felt my heart ache for them, I missed them dearly but I knew I had gotten to cherish them a little longer than she had. After her death my children had become closer to me. I had enjoyed five more years with them before I too was laid to rest.

Walking to the other side of the room I took in the many items of Scarlett's they had kept. There were many earrings and jewelry encased in glass. Her shoes and dresses were displayed in a separate room and in the center of those grand painted blue walls was the most cherished and adored piece of art she had ever done for me.

I felt my breath come in short as I stood before the canvas. I felt laughter escape me as I reached out to press my hand against the thick glass that protected the old painting.

"Beautiful." I whispered, as I took in every detail she had made. Every stoke of her brush had brought to life her old garden. She had done a wonderful job that even I was once again left speechless as I looked at it.

"Soon, very soon i'll have you in my arms." I whispered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.9K 1K 17
He promise you he will never leave you, He promise you he will love you till the end of his life, He promise you he will always be with you when his...
339 1 2
It was only for a brief moment but when their eyes met he couldn't help but gasped at the emptiness in those beautiful eyes. Instead of the heavy bea...
4.7K 179 24
He tasted like tequila and the fake name I gave him was Rose. Four years ago, I decided to get over one man, by getting under another. A single night...
1.5K 75 24
"Don't cry love. It's not your burden to bear." He pulled away, looking me in the eyes seriously. I paused for a moment, then embraced him...