All that is dark | ✓

By vividlycrimson18

"Soothe the devils in my head, love me to my death." In which a psychiatrist gets kidnapped by a serial kill... More

/ /
ANNOUNCEMENT
ACT 1 | LUX
1| meeting
2| red
3| dissection
4| patience
5| secrets
6| recklessness
7| dollhouse
8| scars
10| jealousy
11| anger
12| imago
13| blood
14| friend
15| truth
16| war
17| monster
18| chains
ACT II| AMOR
1| prisoner
2| memories
3| solitude
4| hallucinations
5| reunited
6| trust
7| trial
8| conscience
9| love
10| euphoria
11| roses
12| work
13| innocence
14| calm
15| before
16| the storm
ACT III| NOX
1| traitor
2| hide
3| seek
4| ghosts
5| lost
6| all that was
epilogue

9| apologies

19.5K 879 351
By vividlycrimson18

SHE WOKE UP ON her desk. The chill of the morning made her shiver as she drowsily looked around her office, noting that the night had passed through the window on her right. It wasn't that surprising, considering she had spent the whole night reading away. The books were stacked on her desk all around her, all widely varying in subject. It didn't matter, as long as she kept her mind busy she would study anything.

She yawned, stretching out. Thankfully she had gotten some sleep, even though it had probably been no more than an hour. Fatigue tried to pull her eyelids closed as she walked towards the bathroom, sinking away in a scalding hot bath until she couldn't feel her skin anymore. On her way to the prison she hummed along to the piano music in her car, somehow feeling like today was going to be a good day. She was walking through the prison halls with a book in hand when someone snatched it from her, frowning as he held it up.

"A history of arms and armor?" Dante said," what are you reading this for?"

"I was just curious," Helene said, glancing up at him," what are you doing here?"

Dante paused for a moment before scraping his throat to speak. "I'm supposed to be by your side."

"You're dutiful," she smiled, taking the book out of his hands as she absentmindedly glanced at the knives on the cover," it's an admirable characteristic."

"I wonder," he murmured," if I had been as dutiful as needed, I wouldn't have ended up here, wouldn't I?"

"And then you wouldn't have created this wonderful friendship with me," she chuckled.

"You mean I wouldn't have a insanely clever blonde psycho-analyzing me all the time," he corrected her.

"So you think I'm clever?" she said.

"I know you're clever," he replied," everyone does, it's why you're here. Your methods are a bit strange perhaps, but you're the one who has been able to stick with Parker the longest."

"I don't know if that's necessarily an achievement," she said," the fact that I've studied so long only to participate in mind games."

"Isn't that what the whole world is about anyway?" Dante said," at least you've studied ways to play along, all I'm doing really is improvising and hoping that I don't fuck everything up again."

"What's your relationship like with your mother?" Helene asked. He stopped walking at once, causing her to halt as well as she turned around to him, eyes wide. How had she slipped back into her patterns again without even noticing? "I'm sorry, you don't have to answer that. You're not my patient."

"It's fine," he said, shaking his head," I don't care about that. I mean, I do, I guess, but you shouldn't be apologizing." He anxiously rubbed his neck as he turned away. "Fuck, I'm bad at this. Anyway, I'm sorry."

"For what?" she said, even though she remembered her last words to him well.

"I didn't mean it," he said," when I told you I didn't like you. I was angry, at my mother, at this whole fucking place, at the serial killer they're treating better than the little boy who sold drugs as his only means to survive. This whole justice system makes me angry, but most of all, I make myself angry as well. So I'm sorry, for lashing out."

"Does that mean you like me now?" she asked, voice light.

"Yeah, I guess," he shrugged," I know we aren't friends, but we don't need to be. I'll have your back as your bodyguard here, I just want you to know that."

"I do know," she replied softly.

"Alright," he said, passing her as he started walking again," now let's go to that patient of yours."

"Alright," she repeated after him, following along.

It was only when they turned the corner that he spoke again, voice casual even though his body was tensed.

"My mother -" he said," she's strict, but she loves me. I know she does. That's the reason she's so strict to begin with, she says. I had learned to understand that, but my little sister hadn't."

"You have a little sister?" she said.

He breathed out before he spoke again, as if only air that was still unstained with his words would give him the courage to speak.

"I had a little sister."

"Helene! Thank God I'm finding you here!"

Her gaze snapped towards the director, who was walking over to them right before she could even reply to Dante. One gaze at her bodyguard's face told her he didn't want to talk about it, so she dropped the subject, keeping her attention on the director instead as he waved at her.

"I was just going over to Nathan Parker, sir," she said.

"Right," the director nodded," I've heard you had achieved quite a lot with him, I must say I'm happy. That's why I've been thinking about how it would be best for you to see some other patients as well, don't you think?"

"Didn't you initially just hire her for Parker?" Dante frowned," you should review the contract again if you're changing your terms so suddenly."

"It's fine," Helene said," I like to keep busy, so you can pass me their files."

"Great," the director grinned, shooting Dante a glare as he handed her the bag he had been carrying," it just so happens to be I already have them on hand."

She glanced at the heap of thick files inside the bag, almost losing her balance at the weight of it when the director pushed it in her hands. Dante's hand was already on her lower back before she could fall, steadying her. Before she could thank him he already had stepped back, his hand back by his side and his gaze evading hers. She offered him a brief smile, turning her gaze back to the director.

"I'll go to Nathan first," she said," he's waiting. Afterwards I'll review the files and check on those patients."

"Perfect!" the director beamed, patting her on the back," I knew I could depend on the prodigious doctor Amsel."

Dante scoffed, looking ready to insult the director again, but Helene pulled him along by the wrist before he could. She didn't have the energy to deescalate a fight before eight AM nor did she have his unwavering morals. Whatever option was the easiest was the one she chose, so it was fine like this. With all the sleepless night she had, she might as well spent them on other patients as well.

"You're still holding onto my wrist," Dante remarked as she stopped in front of the interrogation room.

"Right," she noticed, letting him go," you looked like you were about to hit him."

"I was," he said," I hate people like that, who only like you when you're of use to them. First he calls you Helene, but now you listen to him you're suddenly the prodigious doctor Amsel? He can shove his -"

"It's fine, Dante," she said," what does it matter?"

She expected him to protest again, argue with her about how she really should stand up more for herself, how she should care more. Instead his shoulders dropped ever so slightly as he shook his head, passing her then as he opened the door.

"You're right," he murmured," it doesn't."

Had all her pessimism finally caught up to him? Her heart felt heavy somehow for allowing her own problems to weigh Dante down, but she forced the thoughts out of her head. Later, she'd think about it later. There was no time or place for her to think about anything but Nathan Parker in this room, not when he'd be able to guess all her thoughts somehow.

As if knowing what she was thinking already, he smirked cockily at her when she entered, eyes wandering over her slowly.

"Is that scent your shampoo?" he said, leaning forward, as if he was going to spin her locks around his fingers," milk and honey?"

"It is," she said as she sat down," how have you been, Nathan?"

She placed the bag beside her, having forgotten to leave it in her office due to her conversation with Dante. Nathan's gaze flicked from her back towards the bag on the floor, something changing in his expression, as if he could see right through the cotton inside the files.

"What's that?" he said, voice sweet despite his cold eyes.

"Nothing of importance," she said.

"Don't lie to me," he said, smile widening," I thought you were my psychiatrist, Helene? When did I allow you to be able to see other criminals?"

How had he known? Never mind, it was no use questioning everything he knew, not when he apparently seemed to be able to follow her every move. She handed the bag to a guard, telling him to bring it outside, but Nathan's chains clanked against the table so loudly she snapped her gaze back towards him again.

"Helene," he said, hands clenched into fists and skin around the chains marred red from his violent movement," aren't you listening? You're mine."

"It's my job as a psychiatrist to see to multiple patients," she said.

"And it's my wish you only see to me," he said warmly," won't you fulfill it?"

"Nathan, I can't," she said," the director -"

She stopped before she could say anymore, already feeling the situation become dangerous before she noticed Nathan's expression.

"Bring the director here," he ordered to one of the guards.

"What?" the guard blinked, surprised by the tone," you're a prisoner, what makes you think -"

"Don," Nathan smiled, causing the guard to pale," you're really brave, you know, for cheating on your pregnant wife without any shame. Perhaps that's why you didn't hear me correctly. I said, bring the director here, before I kill everyone in this prison, starting with him."

"You're in chains," Dante said," what makes you think you can make threats?"

"I am in chains," Nathan said," and yet I'm still the most dangerous man in this building. I'll give you three minutes to bring him here."

"Or what?" Dante said, raising his eyebrows.

Nathan's expression was so warm for a moment it almost seemed like he was telling them it was going to be good weather today, his arms spreading wide as he looked around.

"Or I'll burn the whole fucking place down."

hi hello my lovely angels!! to celebrate me finally having a semi holiday (even though i'm supposed to be studying😔) i'll be updating four more chapters beside the one updated today the coming week! they'll be uploaded daily on inkitt from tuesday to friday, moving us forward a lot more towards the next arc (y'all know what's coming, our final destination is stockholm and unfortunately it's not the city.) anyway, love y'all, pray for me and my ecg exam friday the 15th & ramadan mubarak to everyone who partakes or has loved ones who does! kisses and hugs x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20 0 2
when you realize that you are immortal and your crimes goes unpunished... you become unhinged and borderline insane
30.1K 712 20
When a dangerous killer stumbles upon a man in 'his' forest, he decides to take it upon himself to take this man keep him captive.
14.8K 723 11
𝐌𝐀𝐅𝐈𝐀 𝐇𝐔𝐒𝐁𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐊𝐈𝐌 "𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗕𝗘𝗟𝗢𝗡𝗚𝗦 𝗧𝗢 𝗠𝗘"He says threatening the girl he just kidnapped a moment ago " She didn't even trie...
76.9K 5.3K 14
"If love could talk, hearts would never break." In which murder is mistaken for mercy, and love is mistaken for lies. #1 - madlove / psychopath #3...