Crime (h.s. au)

By curly_baby

When two strangers in be past collide in the present, the perfect crime could become a nightmare. More

prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Epilogue

Chapter Forty Eight

91 6 0
By curly_baby

Ava

"I can't contact her anywhere. I've tried every modeling agency in the city, her house, and I called hospitals. No one has seen Maria since her interview with Luis," Isaac explains, and I purse my lips. This is becoming so ungodly irritating; frustration creeping up on everyone.

"I am trying to find a way to see if she's applying for any positions," Harry says, and I look up a few hiring agencies in the area. None of them are really looking, but I'm hopeful one of these companies can have some indication as to when Ms. Leon is.

"The hair was matched to Maria. It's almost a positive that she's committed these crimes, unless she had someone else performing them right after sex," Isaac says, and I furrow my eyebrows when I read a particular bit of information.

"What?" Harry asks, and I pick up my phone. I dial Annabella's number and I wait for her to answer.

"Ava, I was just going to call you actually," she says, and I grab a pen.

"What were you going to say?" I ask, and I hear clicking on the other end of the phone. She's typing on her computer.

"There is a modeling agency hiring. Mario Escara is the agent," she tells me, and I nod my head.

"That's exactly what I was calling you about. Do you know if she's applied?" I ask, and she doesn't.

"I'm almost a hundred percent positive she would be. He's very good at his job and is looking for new people. He rarely does this," she explains, and I thank her.

"Any word on social media?" I wonder.

"Not at the moment. I'm still keeping close watch on it," she explains, and I thank her before hanging up the phone.

"What's up?" Isaac asks, and I look up at him.

"Mario Escara is looking for models. He's a very good agent and Maria will more than likely be one of the applicants," I share, and Harry grabs his notes.

"That's one of the names I have down as well," he tells me, and I smile over at him. He grins back and then I look to Isaac.

"Can you contact them and see when they are holding interviews?" I ask Isaac and he agrees.

He leaves the office and closes the door, my hand taking notes as I search through the database. I look for Mario Escara and find a clean criminal record.

If Maria is going after an agent, that could be even more dangerous. There's a potential for serious media and the last thing we need on our hands is another victim. Serial killers are dangerous and knowing that there is one walking the streets of New York is very unsettling.

Curiosity gets the best of me and I look into the model Maria had an altercation with a few years ago. I find her information and I dial her number, giving her a call.

"This is Penelope," she says as she answers.

"Hi Penelope, my name is Lieutenant Ava Nicks with the Manhattan Police Department. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?" I ask.

"Sure. What can I help you with?" she asks, and I take a look at the file.

"I'm curious to know your relation with Maria Leon," I state, and she snorts.

"She is not my friend. She hit me in a restaurant two years ago and I was an idiot who didn't press charges," she says, and I frown.

"Can you explain what caused the altercation?" I ask, trying to get as much information about Maria as I can.

"A few aspiring models decided to go out for drinks after a mock fashion show. Maria was talking about something and I started talking with another girl about a man I had been seeing," she starts, and I take a few notes.

"Well, Maria asked who I was seeing and when I had told her it was a manager at the agency, she grew angry," she states, and I raise an eyebrow.

"She claimed that I was only dating him for the job; that I was going to 'beat' the other girls at getting hired. She got so angry with me and I was trying to fight back. I had been dating him for months prior, before I even became interested in the job," she explains, and I nod my head.

"Maria was so upset and I tried to calm her down but she threw her water at me. Then I started getting angry at her and yelling for her to leave. Next thing I know I got punched in the face," she tells me, and I bite my lower lip.

"Have you heard if she's been with any other agencies?" I ask, and I'm curious if Maria's background check clears for her to even be hired at places such as designers and modelling agencies.

"She's tried so many but keeps getting turned down. In my opinion, she really didn't seem all too talented. I'm not just saying that; she really didn't have a natural way in the modelling industry," Penelope elaborates and I nod.

"I did hear she was seeing one of the designer's salesmen. Emmett Oliver, I believe. Which is unfortunate due to his death," she tells me, and I frown.

"Yes. Thank you for your time, Penelope," I tell her, and she hangs up.

I didn't realize Maria was dating Emmett. Perhaps their relationship started out with an ulterior motive, and it grew violent. With Luis Julio, it may have been a one night stand turned sour. It's still unknown if Maria even performed these heinous acts, but she's led us no other choice but to believe otherwise.

"Alright, I spoke with the assistant and I have information," Isaac tells us.

"So apparently they interviewed Maria Leon today," he says, and my eyebrows raise. It's good news to know she's not completely MIA, but I had wished we were able to catch her at the agency.

"She had struck up a conversation with Mario Escara after the interview and he invited her to his New Year's Eve party," Isaac tells us, and I watch Harry write down the information.

"Do you know where it is?" Harry asks, and Isaac gives him the place and time.

"There is a possibility that if Maria doesn't like the way the night ends, Mr. Escara may be a victim. That is, if Maria Leon is actually the killer," Isaac says, and I scrunch my lips.

"She's the only suspect we have. There's nothing drawing anyone else to the case. If our assumptions are correct, she is more than likely the killer," I explain, and the men nod.

Isaac goes out of the room and Harry closes the door behind him, his eyes meeting mine.

"I talked with the woman Maria assaulted last year. It apparently was out of anger due to the model dating the agency's manager," I explain, his lips pressing together.

"So she was angry another girl had a relationship with someone who could possibly give her an in to the agency?" he clarifies, and I nod my head.

"Sounds a bit hypocritical," I sigh, turning back to my computer. He snickers and I just smile, my attention turning to the computer. I look up anything about Mario Escara's party, reading through a few articles about prior ones. He always leaves with someone, and it's always a model.

My eyes scan through numerous articles, and I'm intrigued that each model he's slept with, is someone who has made it in the industry. I recognize a few names and I look into each of them. All were signed into Mr. Escara's agency and I bite my lower lip, knowing full well what the intentions of Maria Leon are. She's going to try to be the one to leave the party in the hopes of getting signed. I fear that if she doesn't get her way, she may place harm to yet another designer.

Yet, we still don't know if she's really the one doing this.

"I'm going to call Mario Escara," I say, and I look at Harry. He nods his head and I find the number to the agency, letting it ring until there's an answer.

"Mario Escara's office," the woman says.

"This is Lieutenant Nicks with the Manhattan Police Department. May I speak with Mr. Escara?" I ask, and the woman typing on the other end.

"He is busy until four today. I can schedule in then," she says, and I stop her.

"This is in regard to homicide case. I need to speak with him now," I state, and the woman clears her throat on the other end.

"One moment please," she says, putting me on hold. Harry smirks in the corner of my eyes, clearly amused at my assertiveness.

"Escara," a man states, my lips pressing together.

"Mr. Escara. This is Lieutenant Nicks with the Manhattan Police Department. I need to ask you a few questions," I say, and he allows it.

"Have you recently interviewed a model by the name of Maria Leon?" I start basic.

"Yes. She was in this morning," he explains, confirming what Isaac had informed us.

"Did you mention anything about going to your New Years Eve party?" I wonder, and he laughs on the other end.

"Look, I know the police have showed up every year, but I can assure you it's going to be under control this year," he explains, and I raise my eyebrow. I had no idea the police had shown up prior.

"Good to hear. Is Maria joining you?" I ask, and he confirms she is.

"I invite all those I have interest in," he explains.

"Thank you for your time. That is all," I say.

"Should I be concerned about her?" he wonders, and I bite my lip.

"No one has been able to reach her. We were only calling to make sure you interviewed her," I tell him, trying to skirt around the larger problem at hand.

"Understood. I appreciate the concern," he tells me, and I thank him. I hang up shortly and Harry looks at me.

"He said she'll be there. He has 'interest' in her, whatever that means," I tell him, and he purses his lips.

"How should we go about this?" he asks, and I grab my notepad.

"I have an idea," I suggest, beginning to write it down.

"Why don't we put two squad cars outside the building and follow them after they leave?" I explain, and he leans onto his desk. He props his elbows on the table and folds his hands.

"How will we know what car? With his status, he more than likely will have multiple to get away from crowds," he explains, and I mumble a curse. I forgot about that.

"We could send an officer in and he can radio us when they leave. They can tell us the car," I think, and he nods his head.

"That'll work. Once we get her into custody, she might be able to open up. Perhaps she'll crumble under pressure," he hopes, and I nod my head in agreement.

"I'm crossing my fingers this will work. There's a small amount of uncertainty that she's not the one, but I feel that she is," I explain, and he runs his hand through his hair.

"I know the chances of her not being the one are small, but with the industry being as cutthroat as it is, she may just do anything to get what she wants," he reminds me, and I turn my chair back to the laptop.

"Then we need to catch her in the act and make sure no harm comes to Mario Escara."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

919 137 15
Two families, battling two different life changing dilemmas, come together through the introduction of a mysterious stranger not everyone can see.
230K 8.6K 37
"Sometimes, when two worlds collide, a better one is created and they're both saved."
216 17 14
A heart wrenching love story loosely based off of a true life experience.
29 0 11
A teenage girl is caught between the man she's in love with a the new boy who comes into her life, but things aren't quite what they seem.