Double Booked | 509 Series Bo...

By tayhatesevery1

Practice makes perfect, and when you're fighting to be the best in your sport that is especially true. Ryder... More

Double Booked
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Goodbyes Suck Ass
Post Sledding Scene

Ryder's Birthday

51.6K 1K 733
By tayhatesevery1

"Sh Bray," Francesca scolds outside my bedroom door. "Don't wake him up."

"I thought we were waking him up?" Bray asks, the confusion in his voice evident.

I hear Stan laugh as Francesca lets out an annoyed huff. I woke up 20 minutes ago to an empty bed but wasn't surprised. I am sure Francesca woke up hours ago to continue her quest to make today my best birthday ever. In all fairness, I don't have much to compare it to, so the task is pretty easy but she has been obsessively planning for days anyways. After finals ended and everyone went home she began living at hockey house with me and the few guys who are still here. But the last few days she's been spending a lot of time at her apartment and I know she is doing birthday related things.

I sit up in bed with a smug look on my face as Stan counts down from 3 so they can all enter together. The door bursts open as all three of them stumble into the room with balloons and a cake screaming happy birthday, expecting me to be asleep.

"You woke him," Francesca accuses when she sees me sitting up. Even as she yells at Bray, she is wearing a bright smile that lights up the room. She definitely got up a while ago since she is already showered and wearing her Michigan hockey shirt, actually correction my shirt she stole, plus a pair of jean shorts.

"I woke up a little bit ago babe, on my own," I tell her as Bray flips her off behind her back. I give him a cold look but instantly soften as she climbs across the bed right into my arms.

She wastes no time in grabbing my face and kissing me like she would when no one is around. I have to bite back a groan as she pulls back way too soon. "Happy Birthday Ryder."

"Yeah happy birthday you old fart," Bray interrupts hopping into my bed too. Stan sits on the edge still holding the cake with candles almost completely melted away leaving wax all over the cake.

"I am 24 days older than you fuck face," I argue pushing him away from me.

"Which means you'll die first," Bray shoots back playfully.

Francesca's gasp pulls us from our typical teasing. "No he will live forever," she defends, wrapping her entire body tightly around me.

Stan interrupts before things take a turn and I give him a thankful smile. "Blow these out before the house burns down will ya," he instructs, shoving the cake in front of my face.

I blow out the candles as instructed and they all cheer like I am a kid. I must admit, I don't hate it. Normally I try to act my age or older. I want people to take me seriously the way my parents never do, but I don't need to act for these people. These are the people who will love me regardless, who will respect me no matter my choices, these are my ride or dies for life.

"Thank you all, seriously guys this is...it's great," I sigh contently. Today is already the best birthday ever and from the giddy smile on Francesca's face and the way she is bouncing around like a kid hopped up on sugar, I know it is just the start.

"I brought coffee," Parker yells from the first floor. Bray is gone from the room before I can even place the voice, clearly having already missed his boyfriend terribly. Thank god I will be with Francesca all summer because I couldn't imagine being away from her for more than a few days like they will be.

Maya's head peeks into the room, likely having arrived with Parker. "Happy birthday Ryder."

"Thanks Maya," I nod as she walks directly into Stan's arms. That alone is the best birthday present I could ask for. All those important to me are happy today and being the cause of all their happy reunions is the first time in a long time, potentially ever, I didn't feel like my birthday was an unwelcomed burden to others.

Parker and Bray come back upstairs followed by Luna and Tristian. "I've arrived," Luna announces dramatically.

"Where is my gift?" I question as she enters, hands completely empty.

Luna gestures to herself. "I am the gift? My presence in your sad little life is a present."

I roll my eyes even as I get up and hug Luna and everyone else who made the trip from wherever they were to be here today. "Thank you all, seriously this is... just thanks," I rush before hiding behind Francesca as if that will protect me from all of them seeing me be vulnerable.

She kisses my cheek knowing why I pulled her in front of me. She doesn't draw attention to it and instead moves the conversation along to get some attention off me.

Everyone settles into a spot as my first cake, Francesca makes sure to emphasis first, is passed around and we all take fork fulls out of it. Not sure why we didn't just cut it like normal people but then again none of us are normal so it seems to work. Everyone catches up even though finals only ended not even two weeks ago; but you'd think with the energy in my room right now it had been years since we'd all been together. Luna asks Bray when he goes to Philly. Stan asks Francesca about our trip last weekend to the twins' graduation. Maya and Parker are fascinated with something Tristian is saying. And I sit back taking it all in.

We spent hours talking until some commotion downstairs catches my attention. The house in the matter of a few minutes goes from quiet and serene to the typical chaos that you'd expect during the school year. "What the fuck?"

"Party time!" Francesca yells, jumping up. No one else is confused and they all make their way out of the room to join the rest of the noise downstairs.

"What?" I repeat.

"Oh come on you didn't think it would just be the 8 of us eating cake in your bed all day, did you?"

A smile takes over my face as I tackle her into a hug. "I fucking love you Beck."

"Go get dressed, birthday boy or we will be late to your party."

"Party?"

"Party," she confirms before pushing me into the closet to get dressed.

I get dressed into a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt with of course one of my many hats to round out the outfit. When I step out of the closet Francesca is sitting on the bed with the ladies, who are all trying to pull paper out of a gift bag. "Girls stop," she warns gently as she lifts them away from the bag.

"Girls, listen to mom," I add, taking Penelope and Sofie from her. Francesca smiles up at me and my heart does that thing where it clenches and skips a beat. I don't think I will ever not react to the way she looks at me.

She snaps out of her adoring stare watching me kiss the rats and release them on the bed, to shove the gift at me. "I hope you like it, you're really hard to shop for you know."

I can't help quickly pecking her lips before replying, "You could have gotten me nothing and it still would have been perfect butt."

She shrugs as I pull the paper from the bag and throw it onto the bed for the rats to play with. We both laugh as they go wild with it before refocusing on the gift I'm opening. I take a small box from the bag and open it. Inside is a gold chain with a small round pendant with a B on it.

"It's kind of stupid but you said you liked the song," she says referencing my favorite Taylor Swift song that Francesca didn't show me. There is a separate list for ones I found on my own versus ones she showed me because everything she shows me immediately becomes my new favorite thing.

"It isn't stupid at all, it's perfect."

"Promise?"

"Swear it," I say as I pull the chain from the box and put it on. I am not sure if she planned this but the chain is just long enough the pendant falls right over my heart. She stands on the bed and inspects it before tucking it safely into my shirt.

"Thank you Beck."

"I love you," she whispers before closing the little gap between us. Her soft lips move with mine as the world melts away. This is all I need really, all I will ever need. As long as I have her, healthy and safe in my arms, I will never need anything else.

Finally the kiss comes to an end and after a quick clean up of our room we start to make our way down to where everyone else is waiting, waiting to celebrate my birthday.

"Question?" I ask as I lock my bedroom door. Force of habit more than anything.

"Answer."

"Are we still going to get us both new skates next week? Bray wanted to come too and I forgot to ask you yesterday after we had our guys gym session."

"Oh." Francesca pauses and looks away from me. "I am not getting new skates anymore actually."

"But yours are trash," I remind her, confused with her change of heart.

"I am going to wait, I can't really afford them right now," she shrugs, trying to continue to casually walk down the stairs. I freeze looking down at the new gift around my neck. "Please don't tell me to return it," she begs. "I made the choice to buy it for you instead of getting new skates and I don't regret the decision so please."

I am not thrilled with her decision and my chest feels tight knowing I am the reason she won't get new skates but I keep my mouth shut. As much as I wanted to be treated like an adult and not have my decisions questioned I have to give her the same respect. But that doesn't mean I can't make sure she gets the skates anyways. My dad is still paying my imaginary rent for the summer which means I have money to spend.

I push operation figure skates to the back burner for the moment as we walk downstairs. Francesca will beat herself up if I am distracted over her on my birthday, though by now you would think she'd know that no matter what is going on she is always my top priority. Either way I tuck her under my arm and kiss the side of her head.

When we reach the bottom step I look around to see the house packed. Most of my team came back, a lot of the figure skaters too, even the seniors who graduated and have begun their post grad life are here today. The second they notice me they all begin to sing obnoxiously. 

I am overwhelmed with everyone who showed up today just for me. Spits runs over and tackles me into a wall as I stand back taking everything in. That will probably hurt my still injured ribs tomorrow. "Happy Birthday Capt!"

"I'm not team Captain anymore spit," I remind him.

"Yeah but I graduated so technically you're always Capt to me."

I can't argue, and also refuse to argue, with his logic. If being team captain taught me anything in the last year is that every hockey player has a few screws loose and sometimes it's better to just let it go.

"Alright everyone," Francesca yells, getting all the attention on her. She is standing on the coffee table and yet still it is hard to see her over all the tall hockey players taking up the room. "Does everyone know the address?"

Everyone says yes or shoots her a thumbs up or some other acknowledgement and she nods satisfied with their responses. "Perfect, if everyone wants to head over there now the party starts in," she pauses to look at the time, "15 minutes. Be there or be square fuckers!"

I cut through the crowd to her just as she hops from the coffee table. I don't even let her feet hit the ground before I swing her around and kiss her all over. "You are terrifying babe, it is such a turn on."

"Ew Carson," she laughs as I nip at her bottom lip. "Stop, we are going to be late."

"It's my party!"

"Sh, you won't want to miss a minute of this."

Before I can get a word in she is dragging me from the house out to Stans car. He just looks back at me and laughs at my confused look before putting the car in drive and heading to wherever this party is.

When we pull up I am out of the car before Stan even completely stops. "No way! Laser tag!"

The parking lot despite being full of a bunch of college students and graduates looks more like a playground. Everyone is running around chasing each other, laughing and screaming. Even those of them who had good normal childhoods still missed out and it's days like today that make up for that. No one talks about the sacrifices we made at young ages to be where we are but you don't end up playing for the best college hockey team in the country without making them. Today everyone's inner child has come out the same way it does when me and Bray go sledding or play tag.

Everyone rushes inside while Francesca steps up as our mom for the day, talking to a guy at the front counter. The place is huge and really cool but this nagging feeling begins to creep up when I think about how much this must have cost her. How many things she gave up to do this.

"What's wrong?" Stan asks, noticing my look.

"She spent too much money for all this," I shrug trying to push away the feeling eating at me. She can spend her money how she sees fit and I have to not be a huge hypocrite about it.

"Nah, she didn't," he says casually.

Yes she di-"

"She didn't pay for it. Actually no one did. My dad wants to buy a new franchise and let me pick a few to research. I am not sure this will be my final pick but the owner said we could have the place for the day so I could get a feel and determine if this is a sound investment."

I don't have words so instead I give Stan a quick hug. I am getting better with those, at least with the people I am most comfortable with. They still aren't as natural as hugging Francesca but I can tell they are less stiff just by the way my friends smile when I pull away.

Stan nods in understanding as Francesca herds us all like sheep to get the vests and guns and then some guy our age, who looks like he hates his life, goes over the rules. Knowing our group well enough Francesca sends out a text with her own rules.

Francesca: No biting, no kicking, no punching (Luna this means you). If you break the rules don't get caught because if we get kicked out I will personally come for you. Also, the birthday boy is still not fully medically cleared so no tackling  him (Luna still you).

Why are her threats such a turn on? I shake my head trying to not go down the road of dirty thoughts while surrounded by so many people as we are ushered into another room. People scatter throughout the large play area which is multiple levels as the lights flick off. As soon as they flick on the game begins and instant chaos follows.

I take off running and shooting wildly with everyone else. Some people are more strategic but the majority run around aimlessly shooting little lasers at anyone who isn't on their team. I am not sure who is winning, if there are even winners, but I do know everyone is having fun.

I jump over a half wall dramatically and find Luna. Francesca made sure we were on the same team which I have to admit was good thinking on her part. I can already tell one day she would be an incredible mom and it pains me to know I might never be able to give her that. "Hey Lu, I need help."

"Who do I look like, your fairy fucking godmother?"

"No cruella you don't, now shut up and come here." I drag Luna to a more secluded spot so I can pull out my phone without being spotted. "I am buying Beck new skates but I don't know anything about it so I was wondering if you'd help me. I would ask her but she would never let me do it so I have to go behind her back."

Luna softens substantially when I tell her my plan. "I can get all the information you need and order them and when you go to the store they should be ready. I know you know Jimmy too so I will just tell him you're paying for them when you pick them up."

"Thank you, Luna," I say, grateful for her help.

"For Fran, anytime." I nod toying with the new necklace. "She was so excited to buy you that you know."

"I know," I sigh looking down at it. The B catches the dim lights around us. B for Beck, Butt, Babe. Most people would wonder why she didn't get F for Francesca but B fits us better.

"Anyways, it's been fun Carson, but my homicidal ideations are raging and I have murders to commit."

"Well, that's terrifying," I say to just myself as she zips off quickly. I rejoin the game right behind her, stopping occasionally in different hiding spots to talk to people. We play for 2 hours straight but slowly people begin to get tired. The screams aren't as loud and the footsteps get slower. A final 10 minute warning sounds and we all try to make the final push to "win". Winning just means bragging rights but we are all so competitive that that alone is enough.

I find a spot above and just watch for a few minutes wanting to remember everything about today.The entire thing is incredible. Way more fun than I think it would have been in second grade. I didn't have people in my life in second grade like I do now.

I somehow end up hiding next to Francesca, who is out of breath from running around, for the final few minutes. "This was amazing, thank you Beck."

"I hope it was everything little Ryder wanted."

"So much better than he dreamed," I admit.

"Good," she smiles proudly. "Did they...," she trails off but I know what she's asking.

"Nah, but it's ok. I figured they wouldn't reach out for my birthday."

"Maybe they didn't but you are loved you know, by a lot of fucking people."

"I know." I look around as the time ends and all the overhead lights illuminate the large space. People come out of hiding and everyone is talking and laughing sharing stories about hiding places and people they "killed". Almost 50 people who all came here today, took time out of their lives to celebrate the day I was born like it's something special. I walk out of hiding holding Francesca's hand, joining the rest of the group. I do know I am loved and it will be hard to forget it after a day like today.

After the game finally comes to an end we eat pizza, really embracing the kids birthday theme of the day. Francesca leaves a little before me with a few people and the rest of us leave to go back to the house not long after.

When I walk into the house I get why she left first. Her and Maddie are slumped on the kitchen table but every inch of the first floor is covered in banners and streamers and other birthday decorations. There are even "gift bags" on the counter which I learn are just full of beer and Mayas brownies, which is why Francesca has been at her apartment so much the last few days.

The party picks up again a weird mix of a college frat party and a child's birthday party. Everyone is wearing birthday hats but WAP is playing from the speakers. Real fucking weird shit but I love every second of it. I don't once try to hide up in my room; no today I want to be right in the middle of it all.

There is a cake and when everyone sings to me I again hide behind Francesca as I rub my eyes. I didn't think I would get so emotional over everything about today but as I blow out my candles I have to fight back tears. Francesca made this the best birthday ever but it wasn't just her. Of course she is the ring leader but everyone else showed up today for me. People came back here just for my birthday and maybe a few months ago I would have convinced myself it wasn't me they came for but the party but I know better now. I mean something to these people in this room and they all mean something to me.

The party continues and I don't find alone time with Francesca until it is almost midnight and everyone, exhausted from laser tag, begins to leave or find a spot within the house to sleep.

"Hey," I greet as she gets changed for bed.

"Hi."

"You are the best," I remind her for the millionth time today.

"I know," she smiles, rising up on her tippy toes to kiss me.

"Brat," I tease as I walk her backwards toward the bed.

"Another B name," she laughs as I pick her up and her legs lock around my waist. "Wait," she yells, looking at the clock on the nightstand. It reads 11:59pm. "I need to get one more in. Happy Birthday Carson Ryder. I love you."

"I love you so much you have no idea," I confess in return before kissing her again. And just like that we continue what we were originally doing as I crawl into bed with her underneath me.

___________________________
Author's Note
Hey everyone I hope you enjoyed today bonus chapter! Next week I will begin posting the novella but before I start I would really appreciate feedback. For anyone who feels more comfortable leaving feedback anonymously there is a short survey on my profile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

127K 1.9K 26
It's Valerie's first year of Uni. She didn't even think she'd make it this far considering everything that has happened to her over the years. Luckil...
10.6K 166 17
Lydia and Anthony were figure skating partners for 7 years before Anthony decided he was done. Now in college, Anthony fulfills his true desire to be...
164K 4K 66
When Nadia Marsh; a cheerful and popular ice skater, is overtaken by a mystery illness, everything changes. When everyone around her is training for...
1.8M 57.5K 51
Highest rankings: Chicklit: #1 (11th May 2020) Soccer: #1 (21st June 2020) High school: #6 (22nd August 2020) Crush: #27 (22nd August 2020) Follow my...