**OLD DRAFT**Sworn: Book 2 of...

بواسطة TheDowny

Destiny is not guaranteed. It is not written. It is earned. It is lived. After leaving behind everything she... المزيد

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Watty's 2015
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Author's Note and Some Updates!
New Story
Authors Note

Chapter 2

6.3K 332 57
بواسطة TheDowny

Jade was brought the supplies for her desk that she asked for. When her food was brought up she filled her stomach and wrote three variations of a letter to Lander and Merek. In the end she kept out the details, and decided instead to ease their worries and tell them that she was safe and would meet up with them in person to explain everything just as soon as she was able. Jade folded the letter and then wiped down her sword while she waited.

Jade focused on the connection to Phantom and he accepted Jade consciousness easily and she closed her eyes. She couldn't see through his eyes, but their connection was growing stronger each day that Jade felt a little intimidated by it. She wondered what they would really be capable of if it continued to grow. From the emotions Jade could tell that Phantom wasn't so bored like he had been earlier. He was picking up new scents and keeping his eyes alert, so they were probably walking somewhere. Jade was surprised at how Phantom could feel humans emotions. Anyone they passed Phantom had this sense of whether they were friend or foe, or if someone was nervous or happy, angry or sad, anxious or calm. Jade wondered if all wolves were able to pick up on it like Phantom was. Maybe that's what makes them so invaluable; they can spot a threat in a crowd of people in just moments.

Jade kept the connection but pulled away so she didn't distract Phantom with her own emotions. She wanted to be at Reiner's side herself, but he had been right to let her rest. She had needed the few precious hours to gather herself. She felt better prepared now, like her feet were finally underneath her. When her clothes were finally brought up the two girls that had delivered them hung them up in her wardrobe. Jade waited impatiently for the girl to finish and then pulled off the robe and pulled on her familiar clothes. Jade looked at herself in the mirror that hung against inside of the wardrobe door, again she found she hardly recognized herself. Everything had been cleaned and polished and with Jade's hair and face clean and uniform Jade was shocked to realize that she looked like a Protector. And why shouldn't you? You're no different than them now, only a title separates you but that doesn't mean they are better.

Jade strapped the Katana to her waist and took a deep breath. Everything about her was different, the sword, her wolf, her horse. Nothing was like it should have been but Jade still found that she wouldn't trade any of it. She left her room to search out Reiner. With the connection to Phantom at the front of her mind she made her own way through the halls of the Palace. People dropped their conversations as they watched her pass, but Jade ignored them as any Protector would and kept walking. Using Phantoms connection to guide herself she got turned around only a handful of times, their connection continued to solidify the closer she got and soon she stood before a pair of heavy wood doors. Two royal guards stood in front of each and Jade slowed as she approached.

She recognized Leeson but he only gave her a passing glance without emotion and pulled open his door. The other guard remained like stone and didn't even look at Jade. She gave him only a curt nod of recognition and stepped into the room. Jade let the door close silently behind her and glanced around before she stepped forward. The room was warm and bright. The large glass doors were open to a small covered patio outside and the room was full of plants and flowers. Jade felt as though she were standing in a garden. In the middle of the room there were two plush couches and a couple of tall plush chairs with wide arms and elaborate embroidery. A small piano forte sat in the corner of the room, a few potted flowers were sitting on top of it and a small writing desk was nestled between two ivy plants making their way up a wooden stick that had been stuck in pot. The room was secluded and comforting to stand in, and Jade had no doubt that it was one of the queens' private parlors. She felt like she was invading, but she knew Leeson would not have allowed her to enter if she were not permitted. Reiner and the queen were sitting across from each other on the couches. A pot of tea sat on a long knee high table in front of them. They each turned when Jade entered. Phantom was sitting on the floor near the end of Reiner's couch; he didn't move but pricked his ears forward.

"You're majesties," Jade bowed deeply from the waist. "I apologize for my interruption. I can wait outside if it would please you."

The queen smiled warmly at Jade and Reiner stared, the cup of tea forgotten in his hand. Jade wasn't sure what was wrong but his face paled and he looked like someone had walked over his grave. She frowned slightly but the queen drew her attention away from him. "Not at all dear, Reiner and I were just having a mother and son chat, something that I'm afraid we don't get too often. But in fact we were just talking about you, please come sit and join us. You're wolf has been keeping us in good company but he's not much for conversation." The queens smile widened and Jade smiled back and approached. Reiner stood from his place on the couch and motioned for Jade to take his seat. Jade kept the surprise off her face as he took a seat in one of the chairs, and sat down. He's acting like I'm a lady of the court, not his guard. If another Protector had seen this they would be horrified.

The queen was wearing a soft yellow dress that at one time had probably matched her hair. It was loose and lacking elaborate embroidery. It was obvious to Jade that the queen was relaxing and taking a break from her duties. Jade glanced around at the plants and wondered of the queen took care of them herself as a hobby and distraction.

"Do you take an interest in botany Jade?" The queen asked and Jade snapped her attention back to her.

"Only in what I was taught in Felkor your majesty, I know very little except for some of those that have healing qualities, or those that are most dangerous."

The queen sipped at her tea. "Survival skills."

Jade nodded. "Yes exactly."

"As I told you my son and I were just discussing you," The queen said. Jade glanced at Reiner, he still looked a little pale but he looked better than he had a minute ago.

"Anything that I may help shed light on your majesty?" Jade asked folding her hands on her lap, she kept her back straight and said toward the edge of the couch. Phantom still hadn't moved.

She smiled. "He simply informed me that he had decided to keep you under his service. I don't believe I have to tell you what an honor that is. Or what that means."

"Mother..." Reiner complained softly but she smiled slightly and ignored her son. Jade knew the queen wasn't really threatening her, but more simply reminding Jade of who she was and what she was capable should she fail or betray him as he had been before.

Jade met the queens' gaze boldly. "You do not your majesty." The queen examined Jade and she sat unflinching. A mother was a dangerous person to have as an enemy and Jade had no wishes to get in her way.

"I said it before Jade and I will say it again. I like you," she leaned back on the couch with the cup of tea. "Felkorian's have always been an interest group you do not act like the rest of them. I'll admit that I am wary of your kind, they have held their secrets for a long time and it seems that they always have a strong wall built around themselves. I can respect secrets, but Felkor is within our borders you're still the king's people and I think you all tend to forget that."

"I cannot disagree with you your majesty," Jade replied. "I am proud of who I am and where I come from but that doesn't mean I am blind to our faults." Jade hesitated; she did not wish to overstep her boundaries or loyalties, both to her own bloodline and her queen.

The queen nodded and looked at Reiner. "Well then it is quite obvious you have made your decision Reiner, and your father and I go by what we said. We will not coddle you like a child, we've all made our mistakes, and you more so than most have learned the hard lesson."

"Of course mother, I wouldn't have asked if I didn't..." He swallowed hard looking intently at his tea and his mother simply nodded her understanding.

"I know," she said. "Now will you accept your birthday gift or not? Your father is still waiting for your answer. He wishes to be able to make the announcement at the ending feast."

Reiner sighed and finally looked at his mother; a small smile crept across his face. "Yes of course I'll accept. He hasn't really given me much choice."

His mother smiled. "He does this only to help you with your endeavors, he believes in your vision but you have to be the one to take it."

"So I've been told." Reiner reminded her.

"Be off with you then, allow your mother a few moments of peace." Jade stood and bowed to the queen and backed up toward the door. Phantom stood and joined her while she waited for Reiner. He stood from his chair then bent over and kissed his mother on the cheek.

"Thank you." He said to her sincerely.

She rested a hand on his cheek a moment. "Anything for you my son." The open display of affection was shocking to Jade. She knew the royal family was close, but she hadn't anticipated for them to be so openly affectionate. Jade felt for a moment that she may never truly understand the dynamics of a family.

Reiner walked up to Jade and knocked his knuckled against the door once and it swung up from the other side. Leeson stared straight again while he held the door for Reiner and her to pass through. Halfway down the hall he finally spoke up, "You look....rejuvenated." He said after a moment of consideration.

Jade wondered how poorly she had appeared before. "Thank you, I feel rejuvenated."

He cleared his throat. "I have a meeting to attend to then we can head to the tournament and watch some games before the feast tonight."

"You lead and I will follow sir. I am only here to ensure your safety."

"I know but Charles is always good about telling Thatcher the schedule for the day so he knows what to expect. I'd like to do the same."

Jade smiled lightly at him, "It's appreciated of course, but Reiner." Jade placed a hand on the princes' forearm and he paused in the hallway. No one was around except for the random posted guard and no one was paying attention to them. He looked Jade in the eye.

"I know we understand one another better after last night." He nodded showing his agreement, "but it will still take us some time to get used to one another. I think it would be best for both of us if we didn't try to compare each other to anyone else. I know that was a mistake that I made when Phantom bonded to me. I kept comparing him to a Great Wolf and what I knew from my experiences back in Felkor. Sometimes I still do, but when I accepted the fact that he was a Dire Wolf, and that he was my wolf things changed and we fell into our own pattern." Jade released Reiner's arm. "I know there are obvious things that we can't change, like rules of the court and proper procedures, but I think if we allow one another as much freedom to adjust it will be for the best."

Reiner's blue eyes darted back and forth between Jades as he studied her for a moment. He had shaved and Jade found that she felt his face was lacking something without it. She realized he seemed tamer here under the roof of the palace, when she had fought him in the field he had hints of a beard and his hair had been wild and unruly. But her he was clean shaved and his hair had been wetted and combed back at some point, though she noticed a few strands fell across his forehead that he hadn't bothered to push back into place. He wore a red silk neck tie to hide the bandage and cut that Jade had given him. His black jacked was buttoned and his tan trousers and boots were uniform and neat. For a man who didn't have attendants she was surprised at how put together he was.

"I think you might be right," he said finally. "I have this warm feeling that you and I will get along splendidly Jade."

"I have the same sneaking suspicion as well your majesty," Jade grinned and bowed deeply. Reiner groaned and rolled his eyes.

"You're worse than my siblings," he walked away from Jade while she stepped in place a couple of feet behind him chuckling.

Jade wasn't allowed into the meeting with Reiner, she caught only a brief glance of the man with a grey beard before Reiner shut the door behind him. Phantom had accompanied him, as was Jade's wish at Reiner's consent. She knew other Protectors left their sworn unguarded in places of the palace and other well-guarded areas. But Jade was reminded that Reiner had been betrayed by someone close and trusted, who was to say another attack wouldn't happen within the walls of the palace? If it did, Jade wasn't about to let Reiner be caught unguarded simple because she had trusted someone else to do her duty.

Jade rocked on her feet to stop them from falling asleep and looked around at the posted guards. She noticed they were not the royal guard, but members of the royal militia. Jade wasn't sure how the rankings worked within the palace, or how everything was organized with the military but she assumed that the royal guard was focused in the private quarters and around the king and queen. The meeting took less than an hour and when Reiner emerged and paused in the hallway Phantom stretched and yawned, showing his sharp teeth.

"Well that wasn't as horrible as I expected," he flashed a grin at Jade. "Shall we go have some fun finally?"

"It's your birthday," Jade reminded him and he grimaced.

"Yes I suppose it is," Reiner led them back up to his room so he could change into something less conspicuous and Jade sat down and stroked Phantom's ears.

When Reiner was ready they made their way out of the palace together. Taking a rather different route than Leeson had shown Jade before. Instead of taking back stairways and side hallways down through the kitchen, Reiner led the way down to the main doors of the palace. Where noble and Royalty pulled their carriages up to be dropped off. Jade kept glancing sideways at Reiner as they walked, he was dressed plainly in the clothes she had first met him in, which she thought suited him better. His neck tie was gone, revealing the bandage around his neck. His tunic was sleeveless but the cape that draped over his shoulders and flowed behind him kept him well covered. She noted that he also had armed himself again. There was a certain wrinkling between Reiner's eyebrows, and the slight tilt of a frown upon his lips that made Jade speak.

"Is there something bothering you Reiner? You've been quiet since your meeting early," Jade asked as gently as she could. She didn't wish to seem nosey or intrusive, but she remembered her mother's stories of serving a member of royalty. Jade remembered her mother saying how being a Protector had meant so much more that protecting from outward physical danger to the princess, it meant being able to protect her from herself and own thoughts just as much. Being a trusted ear and having someone to listen was something Reiner probably needed. She also knew it wasn't something to be pushed, it needed to develop naturally, but he needed to know she was there for him when that time came.

Reiner blinked couple of times and the hint of a frown vanished, and the mask of a prince washed over his features. Jade saw for the first time who Reiner was used to being in the court and in front of people, and she didn't like it. He didn't need to act or lie or play tricks while he was around Jade, but she knew she couldn't be offended, he was acting out of habit and instinct. In time, she knew it would be different, things would change.

"I'm fine, thank you though."

Jade smiled back and tried not to show that she wasn't convinced. "Of course."

When they left the private quarters of the palace the hallways quickly became more crowded. Jade motioned for Phantom to walk on the other side of Reiner. Protected on both side few stopped Reiner, though a couple of nobles did take pause to with the prince a happy birthday. Reiner wore his mask well. He smiled and waved, and said the customary things that were polite and moved through the halls with surprising efficiency. A life at court, Jade thought, I'm glad my life didn't bring me to this. Only through necessity has Reiner become so talented here. I'm far too brash and honest to thrive in such a place. I'd rather put a knife in someone's heart than stab someone in the back with the games of court.

Jade took a small breath as she watched the crowds and groups of people for any signs of threat. The people moved between rooms and halls with purpose though she assumed half of them came to court with nothing in particular to do except to hope for a chance to speak to the royal family or be invited to a big event. Such a waste of time. There were many girls Jade's age and younger standing around in beautiful dresses, they held fans and small glasses of wine and laughed artfully. It was fake, all of it a facade, these girls were trained for the court. Their whole lives depended on their act. They knew how to delicately laugh in just the right way to seem more attractive, knew how to make someone bleed out and become nothing with the right tip of words. They were meant to marry and bear children and rule a household. None of them could swing a sword and yet Jade knew they were just as dangerous as she, albeit in a very different way.

But through it all, a small smile still found its way onto Jade's lips. Protectors trained for the court life, knew all the customs and proper procedures. It was all mandated for their training and it was coming knowledge that Protectors were adequate in court, but Jade had an ace up her sleeve. Jade had cursed when her mother had given her lessons as a young girl, on top of everything else that Jade was already doing in her training her mother had taken particular care to teach Jade what she had learned being around royalty. Or as much as she could in the short time that she had with Jade before she had been murdered. But Jade, whether she wished to or not, remembered all those lessons. They had been bitter for Jade at one time, but now served as a memorial to her mother. When Jade become an orphan her court training continued. Nemroy tried to honor what his sister had been doing, and continued to be extensive with Jade though he had less knowledge of the court than Jade's mother. She was more prepared than most to be here, and that was something she wouldn't reveal to anyone. If the people of the royal court simply saw her as a simple Protector all the better. People tended to give things away without meaning to when they were talking down to someone.

Reiner kept his smile the whole way, and when they reached the front doors Jade's eyes widened despite herself. The doors were massive; made of dark beautiful hand crafted wood they stood as tall as the roof. The entrance hall was tall and open to receive the masses of people that stepped through the doors every day. There were more guards posted here, she noted, as well as stewards and servants and messengers. Messengers, with a start Jade touched the folded letter inside her tunic. She had forgotten about it. The daylight shone through and they stepped out into the light and onto the top of the steps Carriages and horses were being pulled around the half circle courtyard, wide enough to fit three carriages abreast. A large circular fountain with rearing horses spat water into the pool around their feet. Rainer paused at the fourth step while a man ran off to fetch Jade and Reiner's horses. Jade glanced around while Phantom sniffed something on the step. Everyone noticed Reiner and Jade standing on the step and many came and said hello and happy birthday. Reiner was charming and polite but he didn't let the conversations linger.

In the span of a couple of minutes Reiner must have been invited to dinner by five different mothers who she noticed, had very eligible daughters. Reiner was careful to be polite but not make any commitments with anyone, as was expected. Their horses were brought quickly and they descended the next couple of steps and swung into their saddle while two of the many footmen on duty held the reins. "Let get out of here," Reiner said just loud enough to Jade to hear, there was a bit of spark in his eyes when he mounted his horse, which was a young beautiful black gelding.

"After your lead," Jade smiled back and Reiner quickly maneuvered out of the courtyard. Jade could tell he had plenty of practice doing it. They rode out between the tall black open gates of the palace. The guards and militia posted all saluted as Reiner rode out and then they were on their way.

"I can finally breathe," Reiner said with great relief taking a deep breath of air outside the city. His mask had fallen away again the moment they had departed from the palace courtyard, the troubles of the day seem lifted from his shoulders. They rode slowly toward the tournament, taking their time and enjoying the fresh air and lack of people. Phantom loped beside them, stopping only to mark his territory on a spot on the outside wall.

"If you wanted to escape faster why didn't we take one of the side gates?" Jade asked curiously.

Reiner shook his head, "Gossip. It's the blood of the court I'm afraid and my parents need to see that I'm making an appearance and not disappearing entirely for this tournament. I needed people to see me and talk. It's important that everyone understands that nothing has changed, and that won't happen if I'm hidden away and sneaking out side gates." He looked at Jade then shrugged, messing up his hair as a he ran a hand through it a couple of times. "I'll say too, dressed as I was if I had been alone many less people would have spotted me. It's amazing what some plain clothes will do to hide a person, but I hadn't realized that with you and Phantom by my side people will be more inclined to look." Reiner glanced down at Phantom.

"My apologies that your safety comes at such a price, I assure you when can be invisible when we truly need to be," Jade joked.

"Oh I'm sure," Reiner assured her with a flash of a grin. The wind was making his hair wilder again and Jade found she preferred the prince relaxed and out in the open.

A pair of militia passed by without glancing at them, Jade noticed the crossbows slung over their backs as they cantered up the road toward the city. Kicking up dust from the worn trail, Reiner seemed pleased that they hadn't noticed or saluted him. Jade focused on the crossbows and a frowned as a thought came to life in her mind. She looked at Reiner and he caught her gaze and frowned back. "What is it?"

She chewed on her cheek a moment then asked, "When did the ambush happen to you Reiner?"

His frowned deepened, but it wasn't as icy as it had been last night. "About nine months ago now, why?" he asked.

"And there's no hint as to who tried to take your life, or who was behind the attacks?"

She could tell that Reiner had no desire to discuss it but saw little other choice. "No, the personal guard who turned on me never broke under the torture and were eventually executed for their treason. No one seemed to know who was responsible and the man who I had trusted with the information was killed before he could be questioned."

"And there haven't been any attacks or moves against your life since?" Jade asked curious.

Reiner shook his head. "No."

Jade looked away toward the coming tournament grounds, it didn't feel right, if they didn't want Reiner alive for a ransom, then why just the one attack? Surely if they wanted a prince dead there would have been more than one attempt on his life. But nine months had passed according to Reiner, and there had been nothing that he knew of.

"Jade?" Reiner asked. He was curious about the questions.

"Sorry sir, I'm just trying to better understand our situation here. If someone wants you dead then I believe there would be more than one attempt on your life."

"Obviously."

Jade was surprised, "Then you expect them to try again?"

"That's kind of the reason you're here," he offered a gentle smile. "I've been living here in the capital under my parents guard. But I have plans, and I will not be deterred because of a threat. Which is why I must push forward, and my parents wish to know who was responsible. It's a risk, but I also cannot live my life scared under my parent's roof."

"You're parents agreed to letting you be the bait?" She wondered what parent would offer their child up at such a risk.

"Yes and no. We assume there will be another attempt made on my life, but we don't know for sure. My parents can't expect me to remain hidden like a scared child and remain idle for so long. So we are doing the only logical thing."

"At that is?" Jade asked skeptically.

"We're moving forward."

Jade had more questions, as a million scenario trainings rolled through her head, but they were entering the tournament and Reiner's body language made it clear that he had had enough of the conversation. So she resolved to waiting for another time when she could find out more. She felt all at once even more ill prepared. She needed information, lots of information; she needed to know what was going on with the royal family and who might want the young prince dead, most of all she needed to understand exactly what kind of mess she had gotten herself into.

Reiner was in a far better mood as the day progressed. He bought the two of them small maple cakes from a gypsy and they watched the competition that Jade had originally entered. Already there were far less opponents as over half had been eliminated. Jade noticed that more people were watching the fights, seeing if there would be anyone of worth to hire on for jobs. When Reiner grew bored of the competition they moved to the jousting. He didn't go to the royal box to watch, but instead settled in with the normal crowd in one of the stadiums. Jade looked over and saw there were a couple members of his family sitting there, but not the king and queen.

"My parents attend randomly, but the people don't mind. They have enough entertainment than to worry about royalty showing up to every event. We make a big appearance on the last couple of days anyway." When he saw her looking Reiner leaned over and spoke in her ear over the roar of the crowd as a knight was knocked from his horse.

"Do any of you ever compete?" She asked as the crowd continued to cheer.

"Very rarely, the knights are sworn to my family, so they wouldn't risk openly harming any of us. We compete sometimes in the archery competitions but none of us are overly amazing with a bow though I'd say Aaron is probably the best of all of us, though when Louisa gets a bit older she might be able to give him a run for his money." Reiner clapped as a new pair of knights warmed their horses, riding along the rails and raising their Javelins in response to the crowd. Jade clapped along as well though partly distracted by Reiner's conversation.

"How old are your brothers?" she asked, she knew there was quite a gap between the siblings.

Reiner took a breath, "Theresa is the oldest at thirty-eight, she would have made an excellent queen but the throne will go Jack, he's thirty-five now. Then there's Aaron at thirty-three, Garrett at thirty, Charles is twenty-five, yours truly is now twenty-one, and dearest little sister Louisa is fifteen and quite ecstatic for her sixteenth birthday which is to be quite the festivity." He laughed though the sound was drowned by the crowd. Neither knight had succeeded in knocking the other off, though a lance had been shattered, points were given and a new lance as the knights turned to face each other again.

"It's amazing you remember any of that, I know I wouldn't be able to keep it straight."

Reiner shrugged, "It's easier when you get asked a lot at dinner parties by mothers trying to decide who they want their daughters to marry."

"You say that like you don't have a choice to say no," Jade clapped as another lance was shattered but no knight knocked from a horse.

Reiner shrugged and looked at Jade for a moment. "Theresa and Jack didn't have a choice, they are they eldest and they might have more power to the throne but they didn't have say on their life choices. They will serve their country. It's like I said, Theresa was born to be a queen but she was born a woman first. She got lucky, Marias is a good man whom she loves and would also make a good king. Jack was less lucky, he is first born male, so that means he'll be king." He paused and cheered a moment as a knight was finally knocked down and a winner declared. He waited for the first initial roar to die down before continuing. "I don't like to speak ill of family, Naomi is a pretty thing to be sure and loving enough to Jack, but she's no queen. She worries more about her horses than her future subjects. Jack will make a fine king but without a queen he will have a hard time on the throne after my parents. This isn't something public shared you understand, but Jack admitted to me once that he is tempted to pass the crown to Theresa and Marias when he becomes king. He's never wanted the throne, he'd rather command Theresa's armies if she were queen. But if Naomi's family caught wind they would start a war."

Jade's mouth dropped open slightly, Reiner spoke so casually of information that no doubt people would shed blood for. She knew that there were probably rumors about such things, there never seemed to be any secrets within the court. The court was a like a leaky bucket, there was always a hole for secrets to pass through.

"Naomi's family, they control Fishburn yes?" Jade asked.

"Unofficially, if he risked open war he could take full control of Fishburn, marrying his eldest daughter to the throne seemed the best way to peace but at the same time gave him a bit more power than anyone feels comfortable with. War between provinces is not something this country needs though so for now it solved the problem. However we'll see how long he's content with that, Lord Brooks is known to be power hungry, if he makes a move we'll have no choice but to snuff it out. He doesn't hold a great threat without a real army, but they hold great resources. If he decided to hold them captive we'd be forced to move by force and if another Lord or Lords decided to take the opportunity we would be at a greater disadvantage without or full army and resources." Jade rubbed the back of her neck, politics. She had no love for it, no patience for it, but whether she liked it or not it was something that affected everyone, even Jade. Reiner and Jade watched the jousting for an hour until Reiner wished to move onto the Archery, on the way he bought two small meat pies and handed one to Jade. She took half and gave it to Phantom who licked her hand clean as they walked.

"You're family does have one large advantage at least," Jade said to him as they watched the games. She had been thinking about Reiner had said.

"And what's that?" he asked curiously.

"The royal family is well loved, politics may rule the hearts of Nobles but it's the people that rule the land, and their hearts are with your family."

Reiner turned slightly in the tight standing space behind the archers. The crowd took little notice of them since Reiner had pulled up his hood to better hide his face. Jade caught his gaze, the blue eyes were bold and full of life but they searched Jade for a moment as a small smile crept into his features, making his straight lips fuller. "What a refreshingly simple view you have on things." Jade shrugged and turned away, suddenly embarrassed, he thinks I'm foolish. Reiner's hand reached out a gently touched the tip of her elbow. He barely made contact but it was enough to draw Jade's attention back. "I think its brilliant Jade. It's easy to get caught up in the details of things and forget to look at the large picture. We are here after all, to take care of our people."

"At that is why you are loved. I think all of you all are anomalies when it comes to the definition of royalty," Jade said and Reiner nodded his hand still at her elbow. He opened his mouth to say something else when something caught his attention over Jade's shoulder. His mouth snapped shut and his lips pressed tightly together. Quickly his hand snatched back and tugged on his hood.

"Let's get out of here, quick." Training took over and Jade didn't turn around to avoid bringing attention to herself, but rather turned her head just enough to catch a glimpse. Charles was approaching the archery grounds, but he wasn't dressed incognito, he was in full prince mode, a group of nobles and guards were with him. A could of girls dressed elaborately hung on his elbows and laughed at whatever we was saying. People moved out of their way as they approached. It was clear why Reiner didn't wish to be spotted.

Jade pulled her cloak over her own head, "Crouch down." Jade instructed him and he did so. The mass of people hid them from the group but Jade knew they would need a distraction to get out clear and free.

"How much money do you have left?" she asked, her mind working quickly, as was expected of her.

"Enough why?"

"Give me four silver coins," he stuffed his hand into his concealed purse and fished out the coins, quickly slapping them into her open palm.

"And here I thought I was paying you a generous amount." Jade grinned at him and stood up, motioning for Reiner to remain where he was. They gained a couple of weird looks from the people around them but everyone was too distracted by the archery and the arrival of Prince Charles to pay much attention. She turned on two men nearby; both wore cloaks and were around Jade's height. "Gentlemen, I will pay each of you two silver coins right now to pull up your hoods and run to the jousting ground as fast as you can and determine who is faster." Jade showed the coins.

"What?" They looked at each other confused.

"A race, to see who is faster, you must keep your hoods up and run as fast as you can to the jousting ground and you must go immediately when I say." She handed them to coins, "Deal?"

The men looked at each other and then nodded, they pulled on their hoods and Jade motioned for Reiner to stand. "Start making your way out of the crowd," Jade pointed to the other end of the archery grounds where the tents started up again and where there were moving people that they could get lost in. Reiner nodded and slowly started weaving his way through the people toward the opposite end. Jade turned to look where Charles was standing smiling and laughing but his eyes weren't on the competition, he was watching the crowd. Reiner's movement of escape caught his eyes but Jade pushed herself forward more so that Charles spotted her and Phantom. His grin split even bigger but Jade turned before he could call her over and she took a step back into the crowd. Jade watched as his eyes lost her in the crowd, then he called up two of the guard with him and pointed to where he had seen Jade. She watched as the guards slowly approached the crowd and started cutting a path to her. She turned to the two men. Phantom was shaking with anticipation from Jade's emotion and anticipation. "Ready?" She asked and the men nodded, pulling their hoods further down, "Go!"

The men pushed their way out of the crowd of people, sending up shouts of complaints from the spectators and the crowd slowly started to split before them when people realized they would get pushed down if they didn't move. They started making progress and Jade looked at Phantom, go. He bolted after them and as the men cleared the crowd and ran toward the jousting tournament, Phantom was lagging a few feet behind them. The guards caught the movement and turned to look at Charles. He was frowning and he called them back. He turned the group of nobles with him to follow after the two running men, whom he thought to be Reiner and Jade. Without Phantom, the plan wouldn't have worked. Jade kept her head bowed as she watched them go then slowly made her way out the other side of the crowd and then bolted after Reiner. She didn't want to leave him unprotected, but she had done what she needed to do to get him out.

He was standing inconspicuously near a tent and caught Jade's arm when she almost passed right by him. He lifted his head so she could see his shadowed face, he was grinning madly. "That was brilliant." They turned and both walked with the crowd, furthering themselves from Charles and his group. She reached out the Phantom to tell him to lose the crowd and make his way back to them without being followed. She could feel him peeling away and head toward the woods where he would make large loop back toward them, just in case Thatcher and his ghost wolf had any bright ideas of sniffing him out and following. Reiner was still grinning, his shoulders shook from laughter that he kept at bay, "That's the most fun I've had in a long time Jade, you really saved me back there. Charles doesn't have much apathy for me when he get gets caught up with court affairs. He usually tries to hunt me down to suffer along with him."

"I'm sorry. I don't help you blend in any better. Not with Phantom."

"Even without you I never stood against a chance against a determined Charles. He's got Thatcher and his Guardian to sniff me out for him. I can change my clothes and looks all I want but I cannot change my scent."

Jade knew a few tricks to masking a scent and tricking a nose, but instead of sharing she said, "That doesn't seem very loving."

"I do the same to him," he shrugged. "It's what brothers do."

Jade tried to imagine for a moment what it would be like if the roles were reversed, and she had seven siblings. She shook her head quickly; it was something that was simply beyond her comprehension, but there was a small part of her that suddenly missed her Uncle, she wondered if news had been sent back to Felkor of Jade's whereabouts in the Capital, and what Nemroy would think of it all. With a jolt she remembered the folded letter in her tunic, again she had forgotten. "Sir?"

"Yes Jade?" he didn't seem as annoyed as normal with her being formal.

"I have a message I'd like to send to some friends here at the tournaments, is there any way I could get it to them? They'll be worried if they don't hear something and I meant to get it to them sooner."

"Say no more." Reiner waved his hand then motioned for Jade to take the lead.

"Thank you."

Phantom finally returned when they reached Lander and Merek's campsite. He was wet and plastered with mud, his tongue hung happily out of one side of his mouth. From what Jade could discern he had been followed by Thatcher's wolf and had had a fun time leading him on a rabbit chase. Amateur, he seemed to say to Jade. She smiled and shook her head at him.

Reiner waited behind with Phantom by some tents to give her some privacy. It was the same as it had been when she had come to collect her things with Leeson, the campsite was empty. Jade resolved to leaving the letter on Landers pillow, she didn't have seal or any way of marking it at her own, so she simply had to trust that her words sounded like her own and that they would not worry until she could arrange for a time to meet them.

She returned to Reiner, "thank you again for taking the time to do this."

"Who are they?" he asked curiously, from here he couldn't see the tent that marked them as soldiers. Otherwise he might have had more questions.

So Jade simply said what was true, "Friends."

Reiner and Jade wandered around the tournament for as long as they were able. They watched entertainers and gypsies and shared jokes. Phantom kept a nose out for Charles and his group, only once did they have to dodge between tents when Phantom caught their scent. Reiner couldn't stop laughing when it happened; he was giddy that he was able to be so evasive with his brother, knowing how miserable he must have been. "If Charles had told me this trick with Protectors I would have hired one sooner."

"I'm not a Protector," Jade reminded him. "I'm not sure if Thatcher would do the same for Charles as I'm doing for you. It's not exactly in our training." Jade had a hard time imagining Thatcher being so jovial with Charles as she and Reiner had been.

Reiner laughed again. "Fair enough Jade, fair enough." He patted Phantom on the head a couple of times and promised him a treat later. Phantom seemed pleased by the attention, which surprised her, wolves were not domestic dogs and often tolerated very little touch from anyone other than their bonded. Phantom seemed to notice Jade's emotions and he tilted his head as if to say, so what?

Reiner finally led the way back to where they had tied off their horses, Jade approached Chance and stroked her soft nose a moment while Reiner tighten the girth on his saddle. "I suppose my freedom has finally come to an end," he said. "Duty calls."

Duty came in the form of a feast. Jade's clothes were still not finished so she simply changed into her other clean clothes and followed behind Reiner. He had changed into clothes more appropriate for dinner and dancing. He wore mostly black with a red vest and silver sash, Jade wondered if he ever grew tired of the colors but he made no note of it when they left his quarters. He had pushed back his hair and was freshly shaved. Jade wondered how long it took him to get used to attend to himself; she wondered if she should tell him he still had a bit of shaving soap behind his ear.

Jade stared at the white spec as they walked down the halls. Phantom pushed his nose her leg and she blinked and looked at him, he had been trying to gain her attention, she frowned, Jade realized she had been blocking him out a lot recently. Nervous. Was the word that came to Jade and she looked at Reiner again when she realized that Phantom was picking up on his emotions. She saw it now, in the way he ran his hands over his sash, smoothing out the wrinkles, and how he kept pushing back a stubborn piece of hair. He licked his lips.

Jade quickened her step and tugged on his wrist, tugging him into the next room they came across. Luckily for Jade it was an empty parlor with chairs and a card table, one of many throughout the palace. It was dark except for the failing light that came through a single narrow window on the other side of the room. The door closed behind them, Reiner yanked his hand free from Jade and quickly danced away from her. His eyes narrowed in the dimmer light but he was tense like a cat. Jade realized he didn't know her intentions, he had taken it as a threat out of instinct, out of fear. Jade took a step back showing him her hands and then did the next sensible thing, she drop to one knee and bowed. "Forgive me, I've startled you. I'm sorry." Phantom wined and went to Reiner gently licking the tips of his fingers, he was also asking forgiveness in his own way.

Reiner released a shaky breath and stroked Phantom once. "Stand up Jade, you look ridiculous," he said. Jade stood. "Can I ask why you've so forcefully dragged me into a dark room?" His eyebrows raised teasingly but Jade still sense his emotions from Phantom, his mask didn't work. She slowly approached, making sure her hands were visible to him, that he understood she would not harm him. Her finger gently brushed behind his ear wear his jaw bone curved into his neck and skull.

His voice came out barely a whisper, "Jade wha-"

"-soap," she said showing him her finger where there was a bit of white foam. His fingers went to wear she had just wiped the soap away, and she smiled.

"How embarrassing," he said. "Is there anything else amiss that I should be made aware of?"

Jade tilted her head and put a finger to her chin in mock evaluation, she nodded her head. "Yes, your neck tie is crooked." It wasn't but Jade kept up the façade. The tie was wrapped neatly around this neck multiple times and brought together with a small knot and then stuffed into the vest. Jade moved it back and forth lightly with her fingers, messing it up on purpose just to make it right again. She took a step back, "Much better."

Reiner flashed a smile. "You didn't need to pull me in here just for that."

"I didn't, I thought you might need just another moment to take a deep breath. Otherwise you may sweat through your shirt before the first dance." The smile slowly disappeared.

"You think I'm nervous?" he asked surprised.

"Are you?"

"Maybe," he shrugged. "I shouldn't be."

"I know what it's like to feel uneasy around your own kind."

"Ha! You? I doubt you're uneasy about anything," He leaned back against an arm of a sofa and rested his hands on either side of himself. Jade clasped her hands behind her back and shrugged.

"Just because you're born into something doesn't mean you belong."

Reiner studied her a moment. "Jade I want to tell you something...ask you something and I need you to be honest."

"Anything, sir."

"It's about what my mother said earlier, about my father gift to me." He licked his lips and looked away, his fingers rubbed patterns against the arm of the sofa.

"What about it?"

"Well I'm-" The door slammed open and Jade spun on her toes and had her Katana halfway unsheathed before she recognized Thatcher and his wolf. Thatcher's hand was on the hilt of his sword but they both relaxed at the same time and Jade eased the katana back into its sheath.

"Reiner!" Charles entered the room and approached his brother. Reiner stood up and Charles swung and arm over his shoulders and pushed a finger into his chest with his open hand. "I've been looking for you everywhere."

"You have?" Reiner instantly relaxed and grinned mischievously.

"All day, it's like you disappeared or something."

"I was at the tournament, you could have come found me big brother." Neither of them said what they wanted to say straight, it was a part of the game and Jade found herself smiling. Charles kept and arm on Reiner's shoulder, determined not to let him slip away. Thatcher and Jade followed behind, their wolves on opposite sides.

"That was a clever trick you had today," Thatcher said as they walked, next to him Jade felt wildly underdressed, she had no uniform. A small smirk was on Thatcher's lips but he kept his eyes on Charles and Jade turned her attention back to Reiner, the brothers stopped by a pair of large doors that were behind held open while a herald announced the two princes.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

They entered the great hall.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

4.6K 607 89
The Dragon court under the now ancient King Magnus is a dangerous and ruthless place to grow up. A fact Estella has learned in painful detail. It's h...
104K 1.4K 7
Awakening to find myself in a world teeming with magic, dragons, and fantastical wonders was like stepping into the pages of a novel - quite literall...
64.3K 4.4K 61
*Book 2 of the Destined Series* The clock is ticking for Ryleigh. Duty calls, and she knows she has to leave her mate and new-found friends to return...
10.2K 717 57
A Thousand year old Forest guardian has loved only one human woman but can never have her. She often slips away from him through death and there was...