Tales of Onoris (Book 1)

By RaphThegreat

"Darkness is rising in the continent of Onoris." Noble boy, Zarek Rheatonsey, the scarlet-eyed devil, is sent... More

Disclaimer
Map of Onoris
Prologue
Chapter 1: Castle In The Snow
Chapter 2: Tower of the Sacred Hand
Chapter 3: Ceremony Of The Sacred Hand
Chapter 4: HeolstorFlod Forest
Chapter 5: Apostles of Nekulla
Chapter 6
Chapter 7: Despair
Chapter 8: The Council
Chapter 9: Hunter-Assassin Regiment
Chapter 10: Reinhold's Manor (Part 1)
Chapter 11: Reinhold's Manor (Part 2)
Chapter 12: Mud and Blood Money (Part 1)
Chapter 13: An unexpected kiss
Chapter14: Mud and Blood Money (Part 2)
Chapter 16: A Familiar Face
Chapter 17: You'll rest when you're dead
Chapter 18: A New Mission
Chapter 19: Hell On Earth

Chapter 15: Mud and Blood Money (Part 3)

22 16 0
By RaphThegreat

Shackles were forced upon my hands and I could tell they negated my mana. They were very tightly put around my hands; my skin rubbed against the metal causing searing pain. I was brought closer to the man in charge. "You caused me a lot of trouble mage... expect it to be returned tenfold," he whispered into my ear. He stepped back and nodded at the man who held my arms. I was violently tugged and guided in the direction of a prison wagon. People stared at me and cursed, some even threw stones.

 If I told you I wasn't scared...I would be lying. When the soldier locked the door my heart sank. What if Shael couldn't find me? What if I would be tortured and maimed for information.? These are the thoughts that made my heart race. I took a deep breath. Shael was still free, and most likely on her way to free me from the prison, I was being carried to. It wasn't over for me yet.

The ride to the prison was somber. I kept my eyes peeled for any danger. I was in shackles but I would still fight, even if it cost me my life. The carriage arrived at a secondary gate deep in the city of Aquentia. The carriage now rode on a cobbled street I looked to my left and towering above us was the castle with the red roofs. People in very elegant clothing looked at me with scorn. The metallic scrape of a door opening was heard in front of me. The light was now gone blotted out by the gatehouse of the prison fort I entered.

The carriage stopped in the center of the bailey. Many Seledianon soldiers walked toward me. "Who would've thought we would be imprisoning a mage," one of the soldiers shouted. The cage was opened and I was dragged from the carriage and led by five guards down stone steps leading to a dark entrance. We walked down a dark hallway only lit by the torch the soldiers that accompanied me had in their hands. The ground was muddy and wet and sloshed. As we got deeper into the darkness, the scent of mildew became potent. Two flames that danced violently were lit at an entrance. The sound of groaning was low but still audible, and a very nasty stench almost made me reel.

 We entered, and prison cells were on each side. Prisoners groaned and cursed. The stench of sweat urine and shit was overwhelming. We reached the end of the hallway and turned to our right heading towards a wooden door. One of the Seledianon soldiers walked ahead and unlocked the door. Inside, was a single chair. The floor was made of stone with hay spread on the floor. To my right was a single torch holder with no torch to give the room some heat.

I sat down in the single wooden chair and tightly, my hands and legs were bound to it. At this point, I didn't have an escape planned, I believed in Shael. I don't know how she would get down here but I believed in her. The door was shut leaving me alone in this cold, dark, and stinking cell.

For hours I waited, shivering violently from the cold. They, for some reason, didn't take off my rose band and armor, and I left uncomfortably sitting. My arms began to feel weary and numbness was taking over. Outside my cell, I could hear the chatter of two soldiers that stood guard. They boasted about the women they encountered and had intercourse with. They suddenly went silent, as more voices began to overtake their conversation. "Shit!" One of the guards said. I could hear their armor shake as they stood at attention for someone who just arrived. The voice was familiar; it was the man with the red cloth tied on his intricately designed armor. "Is he in here?" The man said with a rough and elegant voice. "He is," one of the guards responded. "Ok then, open up!" He commanded. My heart raced as the light began to enter the room and the same man entered with a torch. He rests it in the torch holder before gesturing for someone to bring him something. A chair was handed to him and a guard entered after.

He took a seat in front of me, and a big smile was painted on his face. He sat and stared at me before speaking. "Would you like to tell me your name?" He asked.

I set my Jaw and looked to the wall to my right. I wasn't going to answer him. "If you refuse to answer my questions, you'll be only making it harder on yourself," he said.

"Why did you run, huh, do you have something to hide?" He said as he leaned forward.

I sucked in a breath and kept looking at the wall. I was giving a surprising and violent thump to my face that made my cheek sear with pain. I grunted.

"I could easily have you executed, now tell me, what were you planning, hmm?!"

"I'm hungry," I said trying to sound as defeated as possible.

"You're hungry, eh, then starve!" He arose from his seat and commanded for the door to be opened. The guard that accompanied him inside followed him out. The door was slammed shut. I spat out blood, I wanted to just cry, but I was strong and the training I received will help me get through this. Chatter began to reach my ear from the door, so I strained trying to hear what sick plans he would have for me.

It was very quiet but I could still hear. "Tonight! Abbadon is arriving, I will not tolerate anyone fouling up our trade with them, and If you want to get paid, I suggest you get as much information you can from him," the voice of the man who was previously in my room said.

 My mouth and eyes widened in shock. The stories my father told me about the brave and honorable soldiers of Selediano made me oblivious to the fact that our soldiers are human, and can be swayed by promises of wealth and power. My sadness turned to disappointment, and my disappointment into anger.

Minutes passed before the two soldiers entered my cell. One of the men carried a bucket filled with water and a cloth. The soldier with freed hands walked up to me and delivered a fierce backhand. Blood dripped from my nose as I began to see double. "Tell us where the girl that accompanied you is!" The soldier commanded.

I wanted to tell them something so I would be spared from any violent attacks but, I had nothing. "I don't know," I whispered.

The soldier sucked his teeth and snapped his fingers. The soldiers with the bucket and cloth walked up to me; the water sloshing around in the bucket as he did so. The soldier that questioned me, disappeared from my sight as he walked behind me. Out of the blue, my hair was tugged back violently making my head bend backward. The cloth was put on my face and it stinks of mildew and sweat. "This is your last chance, tell us where your buddy is and we'll stop all of this," he warned. 

"Wait! Wait wait," I muffledly shouted. The cloth was removed from my face. "You're smart, now, where is she?!"

I quickly concocted a lie. "Listen, I don't know where my accomplice is, but I will tell you what we were planning!"

"Go on!"

"We were planning an ambush. when the men arrived we were going to give a signal to our friends that are going to be waiting at the entrance to the city."

The soldier with the buckets stared intently. He nodded and walked out the door. "You're doing the Gods' work here mage," the man said as he stared.

Not soon after, the soldier reentered. My neck began to hurt from the position the man held it in, I gulped, nervous to speak to the man. "So, what are you going to do?"

The soldier who stood over me cracked a sinister smile. "No hard feelings, it's just business." Footsteps thundered towards me. "I gave you what you wanted, please!" I begged. The soldier laughed and dropped the cloth on my face. Water began to pour out and the feeling of fear was intense. It wasn't even a minute and I began to panic as the water stuck the cloth to my face. I gasped as the water entered my nose in full. I was panicking violently and being chained to the chair and not able to move made it worse. I tried to scream, but it was blotted out by the sound of water and laughter and the cloth. I was slowly fainting; my arms began to feel weak.

Finally, they stopped. The cloth was removed from my face and I was given a needed breath of fresh air. I stretched my neck as I gasped in and out. My heart was beating violently in my rib cage almost as if it was ready to break out.

The soldier who had the bucket exited the room leaving me a brief moment to think. Why didn't they remove the rose band that covered my eyes? They also left my armor on. Maybe they didn't think of me as much of a threat.

The man entered again with another bucket of water. "No time for you to relax mage, I have ten more buckets lined up outside."

My hair was yanked once more and the cloth was put back onto my face. This nightmare went on for, I don't know how long, but it went on for a while and I was beginning to feel exhausted. All I wanted now was a swift death, but the training I received made me hold on for dear life. I thought about how I could be in my father's garden eating nice meals with my mother and talking to Eva for long hours.

The cloth was removed from my face and I let out a big gasp for air. Did my life flash before my eyes? I thought as I gagged and coughed up water. My head was shoved and my torturers left the room laughing boisterously. I slumped myself trying to find as much comfort as I caught my breath.

I didn't know what time it was and every minute and hour that passed was beginning to feel hopeless. Every sound I heard outside sent stabs of fear throughout my body. It was a long time gone now and my torturers haven't returned. My cell was dark and cold, and I wanted to scream, but for the sake of my sanity, I bottled it in and began to count. I counted and counted until I fell asleep.

I was awakened by a loud metallic clang and muffled screams of men. The metallic clangs became louder as the sound got closer to my cell. I heard a man beg for mercy and soon after, a familiar voice. It was a brief silence before "Boom!" my door was blasted to splinters and a soldier flew in lifeless at my feet with eyes widened in horror.

Through the smoke, Shael appeared with blood on her face. My heart raced in excitement. I thought Shael had forgotten me, but... here she was. "Zarek! We have to hurry! She said with a hint of fear in her voice.

She ran to my legs and held the shackles in her hands. "Shael! You need a key!" I warned.

"Trust me!" She commanded. With that, she began to utter unintelligible words and without trouble, the shackles fell from my feet. She did the same to the ones on my arms. I got up but fell to my knees; my feet and arms felt like water. I shivered in desperation finally finding the strength to stand.

"Can you walk?" Shael asked concerned. I nodded, "Yes!"

She took the weapon that was wrapped around her body and handed it to me. "Good, take this those soldiers will be descending upon us soon."

We exited the cell and hastily ran through the hallway as prisoners screamed and banged on their cells like animals. Shael left a trail of destruction. Men lay on the ground with slit throats and arms missing from their bodies.

The exit was in front of us. It wasn't lit so I immediately realized that it was night. As we got closer to the stairs, I could hear the angry voices of soldiers. We reached the edge of the stairs and took a peak. The soldiers were readying to storm the underground prison. Men lined up with their weapons unsheathed.

Shael and I went down a couple of steps before engaging in conversation. "How are we getting out of here?" I asked Shael nervously.

Shael took another peak before answering. "I have an idea, but you will need to move quickly." She whispered. Runes began to appear on her hand. She stormed up the steps with her arms outstretched.

"There she is!" One of the soldiers shouted.

The wind began to surge and loudly Shael shouted, "Vile au!" Screams of men were heard along with metal clanging. I ran to the top of the stairs and Shael was already running towards the gate. I poured some mana into my legs and I followed right behind her. We ran onto an empty street. I began to feel faint.

As we got closer to the second gate, the few people that roamed screamed as they saw us approach. The guards that manned the second gate, shouted. "Halt!" We got closer and one of the mage soldiers was building up a firebolt ready to blast us to oblivion. I concentrated and mana began to concentrate in my fingertips. I outstretched my arms and cast a smoke spell blocking concealing us.

Through the smoke, the bright light of the firebolt got closer, illuminating the smoke. A sharp whistle was heard as it flew over our heads and exploded behind us shaking the ground; we emerged on the other side unscathed.

We hid in an abandoned distillery. The room we were hiding in had many barrels pilled facing each other. It was dark with the moon as our only source of light. Our chances of capturing Abbadon seemed low, and my will to carry on this mission was dissolving. But no matter how badly I wanted to give up...failure was not an option.

I tapped a tired Shael's shoulder. She rested on a barrel panting heavily. I whispered, "Shael, I have some information on the man we are going to kill."

She sat up with a tired grunt. "What do you know?"

"Well, I have a lot of information that was revealed, and it may or may not come as a surprise to you," I warned.

"What are you waiting for, spill it!" She commanded.

"Some if not most of the Seledianon soldiers of this city are working with the witch alliance"

She paused for a moment before answering. "You've got to be pulling my leg! I knew there was corruption in our nation, but not to the extent of working with the enemy."

"I get you, but I have something even bigger. I found out the name of the man who we are going to kill: Abbadon. And if we want to get him I suggest we move, now!" 

Shael and I concealed our faces with the shadow of our hoods and exited the distillery walking hastily to the Snoring fox tavern. We walked along main streets and sometimes backtracked when we encountered guards.

The streets were lit by lanterns that shined with a yellowish color. Persons were still on the street and avoided us when passing. We were approaching the corner that led to the tavern and my heart raced uncontrollably causing my hands to shiver.

The tavern had many persons out front drinking and chattering and using all manner of bad language. They used so many curse words that if a child were to hear them, they would've had an assortment of new vocabulary.

Our fast pace came to a stroll. I gave Shael a light tap with my elbow. "Are you ok?" I asked concerned over her silence. "I'm fine, let's just focus on the mission." She assured.

We passed the rowdy group that smelled strongly of liquor. With nervous steps we entered the tavern, it was filled with incoherent chatter and the smell of wine mixed with other intoxicating drinks that were heavy in the air, almost making me feel dizzy.

Shael and I took a vacant seat close to the door. We sat in very awkward and uncomfortable positions due to our swords hidden beneath our cloaks. Persons entered and exited, but none seemed to be the man we were looking for. Our concentration was interrupted when a waitress approached our table. Quickly, Shael changed her serious facial expression into a more approachable one.

"What can I get for you two?" The waitress asked.

I wasn't in the mode for any drinks, but we would look even more suspicious if we didn't order anything. "Ah, yes! I would like a glass of wine, please?"

The woman wrote on a piece of parchment. "Ok, and what would you like miss?"

"A cup of water would do me fine, please and thank you?" Shael responded.

The waitress nodded and walked toward the bar counter. She returned hastily with our drinks in hand, and I drank the wine from my glass heartily.

My heart began to beat fast as the thought of the men coming through the door at this moment played in my mind. I sat up in my chair, straightened my back, and took a deep breath.

For hours, we sat awaiting the witch soldiers' arrival. I began to chat with Shael to not seem suspicious. Sometimes a person would enter that seemed like the individual we looked for and we would look even more suspicious staring them down.

It was becoming even later and I was beginning to grow weary. Men were passed out on the ground sleeping in the filth they hurled. Surprisingly, the tavern was still bustling, but not as intense as before. Shael's head was hung low, and her eyes were opening and closing lazily. I had to nudge her many times for her to stay up.

I was startled when a man stood upon a table close to the bar counter in fine clothing, shouting; his voice drowning out everyone else's. "Everyone listen up! Today is my birthing day and I'm feeling generous... all drinks on me tonight!"

The tavern erupted in ear-splitting cheers and shouts for Joy. One man slurred. "May the gods be kind to a generous fellow such as you!"

I couldn't help but smile at the Joy everyone was having, but it was quickly ruined by a drunken man spilling some beer on my cloak.

This was becoming annoying. I was about to get up from my seat, when from the corner of my eyes. I saw many carriages lined up outside. My heart dropped at the sight. Cautiously, I pulled my seat from the table so I could have enough space to draw my weapon. With a light kick, I hit Shael's shin. She looked at me annoyed until I gave a fearful look at the window beside us. Shael's eyes widened. She put her hand underneath her cloak ready to draw her weapon–I shook my head trying to warn her.

About four men went in an unknown direction. While eight of them entered the tavern. One man from the entire bunch stood out to me. A tall and burly man wore a blue and red jacket and a white shirt underneath, and a silver chain that is partially hidden behind his collar. He wore very expensive leather pants and boots with lion faces on the knees. His hair was brown, lank, and greasy, and his goatee was filled with pieces of food.

My neck began to feel cold as the men entered the tavern. Instantly, the room became quiet, and fear became strong in the faces of the people. The man who was finely dressed stood up and greeted the burly fellow and his companions. "My friend, it's good to see you," He said. The men embraced each other.

I sat waiting and listening intently for the name: Abbadon to be called. Two tables in front of Shael and me. The men that accompanied the burly man, uprooted people from their seats.

The chatter began to return, but quietly. I leaned forward to Shael and whispered. "I need you to do something, are you up for it?" She nodded and whispered as well. "What is it?" I sighed before answering, I need you to go up to the bar counter and find out what their saying, do whatever you have to, so you get some information. I'm headed toward the alleyway."

Shael looked at the men and then to me and sighed. "Ok, I can do that." I nodded in confirmation and got up from my seat exiting the tavern. I took a brief pause and peeped through the window. Shael was now at the bar counter. She ordered something before turning her attention to the burly man and the man in fine clothing interrupting their conversation.

I made my way to the alleyway and was going to act under the guise of a drunken man. I took clumsy steps and slurred my words as I slowly walked to my destination. As I turned the corner my heart began to race. I walked and purposely missed some steps, getting myself into the act.

The alleyway was very dark. Wooden crates were pilled on the wall of the tavern, and a light shined from the window of the shack that was also connected to the tavern. I took a brief pause finding my courage before continuing. Suddenly, the door opened. I had a stab of fear, and my heartbeat was fast as the door opened. The four men walked out with crates in their hands. I stopped in my tracks when they noticed me. One of the men rests their crate on the ground before walking toward me rapidly.

"Hello, friends!" I slurred. "How are you doing this fine night!"

The man was a few inches taller than me, but he was mildly skinny but walked with the swagger of a fighter. He rests his hand on my shoulder before squeezing it tightly. "This isn't your lucky night mage, how unfortunate." He said mouth close to my ear.

"Come on sir, you don't have to be like that! Gimme a drink and I will walk away." I said still putting on my act.

He slowly unsheathed a serrated dagger from his pants. "Stay still for me would you?"

He drove the dagger at my stomach, but my reflexes kicked in. I removed his grasp from my shoulder and grabbed the hand that held the blade; slightly cutting my hand. I wanted to end the fight by killing them but I didn't know if they were the right people.

I pushed his hand away and took a few steps back. "Do not try that again sir, I will call the guards!" I warned.

The man stood wide-eyed before regaining his composure. "You should've stayed still mage! Now your death will be slow and painful."

The man charged at me. No runes appeared on his arm, he was probably confident he could best me. He did the same attack once more, driving his knife towards my face. My mind was clear and I was calm. I took a step forward. Swiftly, I slightly ducked and grab his arm that held the weapon. Like a snake crushing its prey, I wrapped my arm around his before breaking it. The man let out a blood-curdling scream. I quickly reached for my sword. I conjured mana into my arms to strengthen my attack; I could feel the mana strengthen my body. With a loud grunt, I brought my sword down on the man at a violent speed; my blade sinking deep into his neck. The blood gurgled in his throat as he dropped to his knees with shocked eyes.

With faces filled with surprise, the other three men looked on before their expressions turned to anger. The man close to me dropped his crate and broke the cover of it. I furrowed my brows, he broke the crate cover revealing many weapons and grabbing one for his personal use. This was all the proof I needed!

The three men took up many weapons from the broken crate. With angered screams, they charged at me. My heart raced; I never fought this many men and won.

Wildly, the first man swung at me. With my arms overhead, I blocked his attack that came from my left side. Just barely, I managed to block. Tightening my muscles, I swung towards his chest for a counter-attack rapidly. He was fast but I moved faster. My sword met his chest just grazing his skin.

His black tunic was now cut revealing his bleeding chest. He stepped back gritting his teeth and clutching his chest. He felt the sweet sting of my blade. Simultaneously, they attacked. The sword was stabbed towards my chest. I blocked again, returning the blow he threw at me, but he blocked as well. A man with a very scarred face attempted to shatter my knees with his hammer. I lifted my foot rapidly. Another came from my right and swung at my head. I ducked and twirled away. They were trying to surround me; I wouldn't allow them the chance.

I quickly looked back at the street, realizing I stand a better chance if I stand in this alleyway. I spread my legs and gripped my sword with both hands. Again they attacked. The man on my right leaped forward and struck at me. The attacks were now becoming troublesome, and the chances of getting hit were becoming very high.

With dangerous speed, they swung at me. I blocked and returned strikes but none were fatal. My foot was grazed but I stopped the full blow with my dagger. The elbow of the man from the right hit my face making blood seep from my nose. I blocked an overhead strike before being struck in the face by the pommel of the sword. A burst of light filled my vision briefly.

My neck was about to be impaled when in desperation, I swung wide and wildly. Making the men step back. I grit my teeth as the metallic taste of blood seeped into my mouth. I was on the verge of going berserk. I took a deep breath and regained my composure.

The man who wielded the hammer. Was now fuming. "Enough of this!" He said angrily. He threw his hammer at me but I easily dodged. He charged at me. Concentrating on my mana, I concentrated on the fire that was about to emerge from my hand. The man got closer and so did my magic, I stepped forward to meet his attack but not with my sword. As he struck, the fire emerged, and he received a fiery punch leaving a red fist imprint on his cheek and mouth. He grabbed his face as he retreated screaming in agony.

I sheathed my weapon and released a smoke spell. The men dashed towards me running in surprise and fear. I ran forward toward the wall using it to strengthen my leap. Judging where the men were I outstretched my arm hoping to grab one of them. Grabbed one of them I did. I pulled him to the ground as I unsheathed my dagger. I stabbed and stabbed who knows where, as the man screamed in agony beneath me.

My violent attack was halted when I barely managed to dodge a blade coming toward me. The smoke was beginning to clear, but it was still thick enough to conceal my movements. I ran to the wall waiting for one of the two men to approach. Through the smoke, I could see his feet moving carefully. Like a wolf hunting, its prey, I dashed for the man's throat.

The man dropped to his knees clutching his throat as he gasped for air. My hands were filled with blood making it mildly difficult to hold my dagger.

Finally, the smoke cleared, revealing a petrified man. I stood still waiting for him to make a move. But I waited in vain. The man ran for the exit dropping his weapon with a loud clang.

I held my dagger as if I was throwing a spear and with a grunt, I threw it at the man's back making him fall to the ground squirming in agony.

I dropped to my knees tired and on the verge of passing out. My nose felt soar along with my cheek. With a weary sigh, I arose. I walked with tired steps to the man ready to release him from his pain. I stopped in my tracks as I heard many footsteps approaching the alley. The men that accompanied the burly man were stopped at the entrance.

The men looked at the bodies, then at me. Their attention was diverted to the entrance of the tavern. It was surprisingly silent; except for the wind blowing, but it was silent. My heart raced as the burly man accompanied by Shael stopped at the entrance.

We stared at each other for what felt like an eternity. The silence was now broken by Abbadon speaking. "I don't know who you are, but death is what awaits you!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 279 44
Life as a Bishop can be brutally hard. Overcoming the loss of a loved one can be even harder. An unseen enemy lurks within Vysher, striking those in...
49 12 11
New chapters every week! All feedback really appreciated- In a realm shrouded by despair and impending doom, Inhel stood witness as his world faced...
225 35 34
"I Fear This Is Only The Beginning." The majestic world of AverDale is on the brink of war and extinction. A young girl called Kansas has been chosen...