Daughter of the Night [A Twis...

By Expecto_fandom89

[Malleus Draconia x reader] Y/N of House Umbra has a strange unique magic. It splits her into two people, one... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
C'est Fini!
Epilogue
A/N
A/N

Chapter 1

3.6K 107 24
By Expecto_fandom89

Y/N drummed her fingers on the surface of her desk, staring at the light of the flickering candle. It cast strange shadows on the walls of Y/N's room, and the girl smiled at the sight. Ballerinas danced across the stone, lions roared as circus masters passed, and phoenixes soared through the air. This had always been one of Y/N's favourite things to do as a child, forced to entertain herself in the long hours from dawn till dusk when her parents were too busy with their work to pay attention to their daughter. The candle shade had been a gift from her grandmother, enchanted to create shapes of beauty, depending on what Y/N wished to see.

Letting out a long sigh, Y/N set the lamp shade down on the edge of her desk and blew out the candle. She waved her hand towards the chandelier hanging from the ceiling and the light returned, flooding her room. Her mother would not be pleased if she came in and found that Y/N had not accomplished anything in the last three hours that she had spent in her room. But how could she when there were so many other, more enjoyable, things to do? She had spent the first two hours finishing up a book that she had started the day before, and after that, she had sat down at her desk hoping to get something accomplished, but had relented quickly and amused herself with her lampshade.

"We should get this done now."

Y/N glanced over her shoulder at her sizable queen-sized bed, draped with the colours of House Umbra. Sitting on the trunk at the bottom of the bed was a girl almost identical in appearance to her. The only difference was that she was wearing a gown of white and silver, and it seemed as though her entire body was glowing, hindering Y/N from distinguishing any real features on the girl's face.

"Or..." another figure appeared, stepping out of the shadows, "we could just ignore the woman."

Y/N smirked as she contemplated the advice of the second figure. It certainly was tempting to just ignore it, but if Y/N wanted this position on the royal council, she had to complete this by the end of the hour. As is, they might not permit her to join due to the clear lack of effort that she had put in. In all honesty, it was not she who wanted the position, but her mother and father. And they would be furious if they realised that Y/N had ignored what they wished.

She took the quill in hand and started to scratch out a request. She shifted away from the relaxed girl that she was when she was by her lonesome, and into the persona that she adorned whenever her parents, or other dignitaries, were around. The two other girls in the room stared over her shoulders, seeming to hover around Y/N.

"Nox. Luna. Please leave me be. I need to finish this, and you two aren't making it any easier."

"We aren't even here right now," Nox hissed, stepping away from Y/N. She disappeared a second later, quickly followed by her lighter counterpart.

Y/N's hand stilled over the parchment as she contemplated the unique magic that she had been born with. It was such an odd concept. To have magic that was unique to one person. One would think that magic was universally the same, but apparently, it wasn't. Y/N had been surprised when she discovered, as a little girl, that her parents didn't have two identical figures following them around, constantly invading their minds.

There was suddenly a knock on the door, and Y/N shot up, her chair almost falling over. She quickly scribbled out the last few words, taking care to keep her penmanship neat, and waved her hand over the parchment. After muttering a quick spell, she yelled for whoever was at her door to enter and quickly rolled up the parchment. She was just tying a ribbon around it as the door opened to reveal her mother and father, dressed in their elegant glory, accompanied by a duo of palace guards, and one of the many butlers.

"Mademoiselle," the butler said, bowing to Y/N. Y/N curtsied, cursing herself for not grabbing her fan. Her mother would tan her hands for that. As she curtsied, a strand of h/c hair tumbled into her vision and she let out a near-silent huff of breath that sent it back.

"Good day, sir," Y/N said, rising and folding her hands neatly across her stomach, taking care not to crease the scroll. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?"

"I have come for two reasons. The first being that scroll in your hands, which your mother sent me to collect, and the second being that I have been requested by my lord to present you with a letter." With an elegant sweep of his hand, he revealed the letter that had been tucked away in his breast pocket and handed it to Y/N. She took it and exchanged it with the one she was holding. She didn't miss the careful and calculated eyes of her parents that followed her form as she took a few steps back into her room.

"We shall leave you now, daughter," her mother said.

The group left Y/N's room, and as soon as she heard the click of the doors shutting, she flopped down onto her bed, letting out a long sigh of relief.

"What's the letter?" Nox was sitting next to Y/N, fiddling with one of the imaginary threads on her imaginary dress.

"Perhaps it is a romance letter," Luna swooned, flopping down next to Y/N.

"Doubtful," Y/N sighed. "It's from the prince."

"But-"

Both Nox and Y/N glared at Luna, shutting down any possible thoughts. Luna looked away and disappeared a second later, accompanied by Nox, as Y/N banished them both to the back of her mind. She was getting better at controlling her magic, but it was still difficult at times.

With the two gone, Y/N cracked the seal on the envelope and pulled out the letter

Dear Lady Y/N of House Umbra,

I hope this letter finds you well. It has been some time since we last spoke, so I hope that you are doing well.

As you are most likely aware, I shall be leaving this afternoon for Night Raven College on the Isle of Sages, along with Lilia and Silver Vanrouge, and Sebek Zigvolt. I am sure that you are well aware of this school, so I shall not waste time with small talk. I remember that you hated it when someone beat about the bush, rather than getting straight to the point. The reason that I am writing to you is to request for you accompany me this year to Night Raven College. I know that you have always dreamed of travelling beyond the kingdom and that you have not had that chance yet. I have already spoken with Headmaster Dire Crowley, and he said that he would be willing to accept you as a student if you come as my advisor.

If you wish to accompany me, please meet me outside the castle by the fountain at 3 o'clock this afternoon for our departure at 3:30. I hope to see you this afternoon.

Sincerely,

Prince Malleus of House Draconia, Heir to the Throne of the Briar Valley

Y/N shut the letter and sat up, her lips pursed in concentration. She did want to get out, at least for a little bit... but the prince would be there... Was she really willing to take that step so soon? True it had been a while since she had last seen him, but it still felt like only a few days ago that she was face to face with... her.

She shook her head. She was being ridiculous. It was a professional position. There was no reason for her to be worrying about it. It would be strictly professional... right?

Y/N glanced towards the floor-length mirror that hung on the door of her wardrobe. Slowly, she rose from the side of her bed and approached the pane of glass, staring at her reflection. Her hair was pinned up in the style that her mother preferred, her waist cinched in a tight corset, with black and indigo fabric that trickled down like a foaming waterfall. Y/N huffed and pulled up the top few layers of fabric, pursing her lips when she saw just how many layers of fabric were crowding her legs. At least he wouldn't make her dress so obscenely. Perhaps he might even allow her to wear trousers.

There was a knock on the door again and Y/N quickly dropped the fabric, smoothing it out with her gloved hands in a panic.

"Y/N? Are you still here?"

It was her mother.

Y/N turned to face her mother, her eyes narrowing when she saw that her mother was wearing only a simple black dress. There would only be about three layers of fabric in her mother's dress, unlike the mountains of tulle and silk coiled around her legs like a spider's web. Oh, how she desired her mother's dress.

"What did the letter say?" Her mother had picked it up before she could respond and Y/N rolled her eyes behind her mother's back. She always asked, but never waited for an answer.

"The prince," Y/N said, adjusting a clip in her hair. "He requested that I accompany him to Night Raven College this year as an advisor."

"Take it."

Y/N didn't bother saying that she was already planning on taking the position. Anything to get away from here.

"You will have to return home on the weekends to see Aloren but it would be a good experience for you."

"I agree."

"Well then, I shall leave you to pack your things. I shall have the footmen prepare the carriage to take you to the castle." Her mother went to leave, but she paused at the door and turned back, her eyes lingering on Y/N as she pulled at her cheeks.

"Daughter, I am sure that I don't have to remind you, but-"

"I know, Mother."

Y/N lightly patted her cheeks before standing up straight and holding her hands out. "Moon and stars divide from night." A tremor ran through her body and her mother winced as she watched. She never got used to seeing her daughter split into two individuals. It was almost eerie how similar they were to her daughter, but how incredibly different they were.

"Hello, Nox," Luna said, waving to Y/N's mother as she left the room.

"Luna." Nox's voice was deep and thick, rather than the gentle and airy tone of Luna's voice. She walked over to the wardrobe and started pulling out Y/N's clothing, throwing them over her shoulder to Luna, who was working to pull out the trunk.

"Make sure that you don't just take black clothes, dearest Nox." Luna flicked her hand and a snake of white light erupted from the tip of her finger. It glided over to the wardrobe and plucked a few lighter-coloured clothes, and pulled them over to the trunk.

"Well, black is the colour that we will be wearing the most at the school," Nox argued, letting out a huff as she dropped an armful of clothes into the trunk. She snapped her fingers and a cloud of dark smoke swam over to the dresser, pulling out shirts, trousers, skirts, and anything else that she thought Y/N might need.

At three-thirty, Y/N was taking her seat in the carriage, and five minutes later, she was watching as the familiar scenery of the Briar Valley melted away. The curtains had been drawn tightly shut over the windows - Y/N found this to be quite a dreary sight - and she gently lifted her hand to brush them aside. While the other four in the carriage seemed more than pleased to sit in the stifling tension, Y/N would have given nearly anything to be sitting outside the carriage with the driver, despite the torrential rain that was pounding the roof and sides of the dark carriage. Her mother would not have given her that choice and would have been furious if she had discovered that Y/N had ridden outside the carriage rather than inside.

"So, Lady Y/N. How have you been as of late?"

Y/N glanced away from the window to see Lilia Vanrouge smiling at her. He seemed to be the most at ease in the carriage, as he was currently leaning back against his seat, a cup of tea in one hand, and a silver spoon in the other.

She gave him a small smile and lowered her hand from the window, setting it down on the lap of her ebony dress. "I have been doing well. And you? How has life been treating you up at the castle?"

Lilia shrugged a surprisingly careless gesture and took a sip of his tea. "Same old, same old."

Y/N giggled and flicked her fan open, hiding her coy smirk behind it. "I suppose you would think that." She paused for a moment, her eyes twinkling with mischief. She could be free with Lilia. He would never tell her mother that she was acting rather un-ladylike. "Old man."

Lilia cracked a grin. "Yes, I must admit that I am getting on in years." He shifted in his seat and let out a mock groan, winking at Y/N.

She laughed again, but shut her fan and turned her attention to the window again as the conversation died. She could remember the happy times that she spent at the palace, all those years ago. The times that were filled with joy and laughter, before her mother had stolen her away to be homeschooled and raised to be the lady that she expected. That was when she stopped visiting the palace, and the friends that she still held closest to her heart.

The carriage fell silent once again, save for the sound of the cards that were being used by Sebek and Silver, and Y/N let out a long sigh. She pushed aside the curtain once more, watching as her home passed by. The large manor that stood atop a high hill, surrounded by the village that her mother and father governed. She had never left the safety of Briar Valley. The furthest she had ever gone was the pumpkin patch on the edge of the kingdom.

"Are you nervous?" A hand gently settled on the back of Y/N's and she jumped, whirling around to see the prince staring at her intently.

She shook her head and tried to scoot closer to the window. "No, Your Highness. I am excited about a new experience." She slowly pulled her hand away from her companion's and now rested it on the other side of her lap, the other one still holding the curtain back. She tried to continue watching the scenery, but her attention was focused elsewhere. Like the prince, who she could feel staring at her, the sigh that escaped his lips, and the way that she could feel him moving closer to her.

"Please, Y/N," Malleus breathed, his voice barely audible. "Please look at me."

Y/N silently refused, risking a glance at Lilia in hopes that he would save her, but he was more interested in the card game on the opposite side of the carriage. She looked back to the glass, gazing out at the passing farmland. A shiver ran down her spine as she felt Malleus' nails scratching the back of her neck, his breath hot on her neck, but she still did not look at him. Nor did she look at him when he gently touched her elbow, trying to coax her into looking at him.

"Y/N," he whispered again, closer this time.

Y/N still did nothing, fighting her urge to turn toward him.

Thankfully, Malleus soon relented and moved back to his side of the carriage, watching as Sebek and Silver fought over the value of the jester.

'Had I known that the tension would have been this bad, I would have requested Crowley to send me another carriage,' Y/N thought to herself sourly. This was more stressful than anything she had dealt with before. Quietly, she spread out the fan that her mother had given her and fluttered it in front of her face, trying to find some privacy in the tight confines of the carriage.

The afternoon soon turned to evening and Y/N stared up at the stars above, a wistful thought dancing in her mind. 'Oh, what I wouldn't give to fly with the stars.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

415K 14.2K 91
#1 in Disney twisted wonderland 10/6/2020 "Child, In this world we live in if you're a witch, Celestials want to kill you, People want to kill you...
43.9K 2K 43
Lucien Valentin, a self-proclaimed outcast, is now trying to expand his none-existing social circle. It's not too late to start socializing now that...
16.2K 378 71
Alerie Lewyn known by others yet forgotten, wakes up in the coffin at the prestigious school Night Raven College in Twisted Wonderland with no memory...
213K 6.8K 71
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: 'Magic Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?' Alice in Wonderland: 'Off with their heads!' Sleeping Bea...