Too Late To Say Goodbye | Tom...

By helpingthemind

~1923~ In which Tommy's life seems to be falling into place. Business is expanding, the family is thriving... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
87.
88.
89.
90.
91.
92.
93.
94.
95.
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.
101.
102.
103.
104.
105.
Author's Note

10.

12.3K 364 29
By helpingthemind

Bella has been working for Shelby Co. Limited for a few weeks now.

During that time she's learned a lot about the races and the alcohol distribution industry. Now having almost full responsibility over that part of the business.

She knew that there was other parts of the family she didn't know about, and it appears to her that Tommy doesn't want her to know. So she respected that. And Lizzie seemed to take care of that office work.

Within the last couple weeks, she's also basically moved into Tommy office with him.

First it started out with him constantly calling her in there to fill out papers, to them sharing conversations, to eventually her just staying in there, instead of going back and fourth.

She still hasn't told him about London, but for the time being it didn't seem like she has to.

So they both kept parts of their life's secret, never questioning the other.

Still she feels as if she's grown a friendship with the man. Throughout the days spent together, they would share thoughts and opinions with each other, growing their trust in the process.

Currently she was sitting at the small table in his office, filing through some paper work.

While Tommy sat at his desk doing the same, the only difference was that he was smoking as he did so.

They both liked the quiet of it. Just enjoying each other's company.

After going through the stack, she picked up the ones he needs to go through and sign.

Tommy's been noticing a lot about Bella, the more time spent with her as well.

He's noticed that she's gain a little weight since he met her, not in a bad way. she looked a lot healthier. He liked seeing her face with a little more color in it.

He's also noticed that she likes dressing up. She definitely has a rich sense of fashion. It was easy to tell that she spent quite some time in the city. But still he liked it, it blended well with the businesses appearance.

He noticed other things about her as well. Things like how she likes to tuck her hair behind her ears before reading a document. Or how she lightly bites her bottom lip when she gets stressed.

He also noticed that she hasn't had to stop to concentrate on her breathing in a few weeks.

He liked watching the girl, yearning to learn more about her.

Putting his pen down, he looked at her when he saw her making her way over from the corner of his eye.

Giving him a little smile, she handed the papers over,
"These are for you, when you're done I'll send them out."

He nodded as he started reading though them.

Bella stood, waiting patiently for him to do so. It was almost the end of the day, and this was her last task, so she didn't mind.

She started looking at the little horse statues he had placed on his desk.
Picking one up, and bringing it close to her face in order to see the details better.

"Those were a gift from Polly" Tommy told her

Moving her eyes up to him, she didn't realize he was watching her "they're beautiful"

He continued to watch, giving her a nod in thanks.

Bella continued "Polly came back to the house the other day. She was kind. Met Michael for the first time as well, I like their company."

"Mmmm that's good to hear peach." He spoke as if he barely even listened to what she said.
He was still looking at her as she placed the horse back onto the desk.

"You know as much as I enjoy not sleeping in hay anymore, I really do miss that horse of yours." She told him

"Do you ride?"he asked her

She looked back up at him with a confusion, "what?"

"Horses, I mean. Do you like to ride horse?"

A little blush came onto her face, shaking her head, "no, actually. I've never been on one before."

This surprised him, "would've thought you'd have a horse in that village of yours"

She lightly shook her head "no, me parents always wanted to get us one, but were never able to afford it,...then there wasn't much use for a horse up in London" she shrugged

Tommy paused for a second, then waved his hand at her, "alright then let's go see my horse peach, I'm sure he misses you too"

Bella's eyes lit up as she stood up straighter, "really?!"

This caused Tommy to smirk, "let me finish up this work here and then we'll go"

Bella nodded excitedly, she really did miss that horse, and she was looking forward to spending time with Tommy outside of the office again. So she went back over to her table, in order to get everything put away for the night.
Then sat down at it waiting patiently.

About Ten minutes pass and Tommy was just about to finish the last paper in the stack, when Lizzie came in to tell Tommy he had a phone call.

Sighing, he agreed to have her send it over. Lizzie nodded in response and then looked over to give Bella a smile in greeting, which was returned with a wave.

The office phone only rang once before Tommy picked it up, "Hello?"

Bella didn't really want to pry so she tried not to listen, but that only lasted until she heard the last part of the conversation.

"-alright Grace. Calm down, I'll be home shortly....yeah...I'll be there.....bye" and with that Tommy not so gently put the phone back down.

Resting his head over the back of his chair, he let out a loud sigh.

Bella stood up and started making her way over to him, stopping once she reached his side,
"That was Grace on the phone?"

Tommy still hasn't opened his eyes. The conversation shared between him and his fiancé irritated him. Now he's expected home, as Grace said he had to be there to put Charlie to bed that night.

He opened his eyes when he felt Bella's hand rest on his shoulder, rubbing it lightly.

She was looking down at him with a small forgiving smile on her face, "it's okay, go home tonight. Your family wants you there, we can go see Monaghan Boy another time."

Now Tommy really didn't want to go. Not only was he looking forward to seeing his horse, he was enjoying his time with Bella.

Seeing that sad little smile on her face made him feel guilty, but he knew she was right. There would always be another time.

"I'm sorry, peach. We'll go another time" he told he quietly

She nodded, with that same smile. "You tell that boy of yours I said goodnight. And I'll finish up here, so you get on your way."

With that Tommy stood up, and turned to face her. Looking at her he gave her a light squeeze on her arm, "thank you, Bell, you have a good night as well"

She nodded and started collecting all the papers on his desk, she'll figure out which ones need to be mail out tonight.

Tommy took his time putting his stuff together, prolonging his departure. But when the time came, he stopped right before the door and looked back at the girl.

She felt his eyes on her, and when she looked up she saw that she was right, giving him another reassuring smile, she waved him off "go on now, Charlie's getting tired"

At this Tommy gave her a small tight lipped grin, and nodded at her, before leaving out the door.

*****

As soon as he walked through the doors of his home, one of the maids came into the entry way to take his briefcase.

As he handed it over, he noticed Grace walking down the stairs.

So he took out his cigarette case, knowing whatever conversation laid ahead of him was going to give him a headache.

She walked right up to him, placing her hands on his shoulders and giving him a quick kiss.

"Hello Thomas"

He looked at her, "Hello Grace. Where's Charlie?"

Giving him a look of almost annoyance -why couldn't he ever ask about her- "he's up stairs playing in his room"

"Aye, so why don't we go get him ready for bed?" He asked her, trying his best to avoid what was coming

Pushing some distance between them so she can fully look at his face, "not yet. I was hoping we can talk first"

"What's there to talk about Grace?"

Now she was offended "I'm going to be your wife Thomas, yet I never see you. You come home after dark every night. And when you are home, You only ever pay attention to Charlie...we're suppose to be a family, yet it hardly feels that way." She spoke in her Irish accent

Tommy didn't say anything at first. He knew she was right, but still that didn't change his feelings towards the situation.

"There's business to be done"

Tossing her hands up in frustration "like what Thomas, what's got your mind so occupied at that office of yours?"

He couldn't say what really occupied his mind. So instead of staying bright grey eyes, he told her

"New business opportunities"

She didn't believe him. "Mmhmm, like what?"

Tommy sighed, just wanting his conversation to end. "Nothing you need to worry 'bout Grace"

Now it was her turn to let out a frustrated sigh. "Charlie's in his room. It's time for him to go to bed."

Spinning around she started walking back up the stairs and towards the bedroom.

Tommy took his as a sign that he got to put Charlie to bed by himself. He preferred it that way.

When he walked into the room, he saw his son sitting on the carpet playing with his toy trains.

Scooping him up he brought him over to the window in the room. "How's me boy doing?"

He knew he wouldn't get an actually response but still, he loved talking to him.

Charlie let out a little yawn and rested his head on his dads shoulder.

Tommy smiled at this "ready for bed?"

The boy was already in his PJ's, so there wasn't much else to do but lay him down.

As he did so, Tommy made sure he put him down in a comfortable position. "Good night Charlie..."

He paused thinking back on his day, feeling like he couldn't get away without saying it.

"peach says goodnight as well"

With a low sigh, he stood up and went to make his way out. Already dreading what was waiting for him in the other bedroom.

*****

Grace was ready for bed. Sitting up against the headboard, she wouldn't be sleeping yet. She still had something to get off her chest.

She stayed quiet as Tommy entered the room. Watching as he went over to the vanity, and started getting ready for bed himself.

Although she knew as soon as she fell asleep he'd be back downstairs in that office of his.

Tommy saw her glare through the mirror, "alright, out with it, what do you have to say?"

Scoffing, she went on "you really are something else Thomas Shelby...you know I appreciate everything you do for Charlie but...it appears when it comes to me it seems more like a chore."

Tommy turned around to face her, leaning back against the vanity "we're to be married Grace. You're the mother of my child"

"I know that Tom,.. but what I'm trying to ask is if your feelings are still the same...if you still want to marry me..."

Stepping closer to the bed. He didn't want to tell the truth, he didn't want to marry her.

He thought back to what Bella told him, maybe with some effort, he can learn to love her again, for Charlie's sake.

Reaching down, he rested his hand on her cheek, "we will marry. And I'll try to be around more for you and Charlie."

Grace smiled at this "that's all I wanted to hear," stretching a little she gave him a quick kiss "turn off the lights, let's go to sleep"

He did as he was told and slipped into bed beside her. She cuddled into his side, and within a few minutes she was asleep.

Not Tommy though. This whole night gave him a headache.

He started thinking about how it could've gone. He couldn't get the disappointed look on her face out of his head.

The thought left him uneasy. He wanted to rebuild this family, but he couldn't stop thinking about her.

She made him feel calm. Which was something not many people can do. In fact the only other person is Charlie.

So he fell asleep, imagining the the woman next to him wasn't blonde. But instead the raven haired girl back in Small Heath.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 37.3K 115
*UNDER EDITING* Imagines for your favourite Shelby family (and Alfie!)
25.2K 726 6
Summary: Thomas has come back from the war a different man and is moving up in the underworld as the head of the Peaky Blinders, but what happens whe...
300K 5.7K 76
They were once everything. They were once in charge. Now everything has changed. The Peaky Blinders were all arrested and thought to be put away...
134K 4.2K 65
On a train arrives a young woman. She's naive, she's kind, she's everything the city begs her not to be. When she meets Thomas Shelby, he is unlike a...