Troubled Mind | Bucky Barnes

By dreampovs

An enemies to lovers story. Alexi, a highly trained spy and ex-widow is on the run, turning to the only peop... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
BONUS (Part 9.5?)

Part 4

3.6K 120 18
By dreampovs

It was late in the afternoon when Alexi once again made her way down to the small garden in the grounds where she sat on the swing. She wasn't sure how long she had been there when Steve appeared at the garden entrance.

"Hey," he said. She nodded and smiled at him. "Mind if I sit?" he gestured to the seat next to her.

"Sure." She moved over to make room.

"Good spot to watch a sunset," he said looking at the colours spreading across the sky.

"Yeah. I like this swing. Reminds me of the one my grandpa had. You would always find him sitting on it looking out over the street." She paused to watch the sunset for a moment. "Do you remember your grandparents, Steve?"

"Yeah I do. Unfortunately, they and my parents died before the war."

"You know, you're famous in Hydra." Steve looked at her surprised by the change in conversation. "Sorry, I just assume you came to ask about my time with Hydra."

"How did you..." he started but she stopped him.

"...I was a spy for a lot of years, Captain Rogers, I know when I'm about to be interrogated." She smiled knowingly at him.

"I had to make sure," he explained.

"That I'm not here undercover, to infiltrate you. It's a fair question, I understand. I'm not." She paused searching for the words of how to explain her past. He could see her thinking and waited quietly until she continued. "When I was finally free of Dreykov, all those years ago, the first one to find me was a woman who told me I would be working for an organization that balanced peace and fought men like Dreykov. Everything they showed me after that fell in line with that story. It took me a long, long time to finally see the truth. By the time I discovered what was really going on, I was trapped. They brainwashed me. It had happened all over again. I was right back where I started. But I am never going back. And I'm not here to hurt anyone. I just want to be free."

After a short pause, contemplating what she told him, he looked in her eyes and said, "I believe you."

"Thank you." They both silently watched the sunset. Finally taking in a deep breath, she said "So, bringing a date to the party, Cap?" Her tone had changed completely, trying to lighten the seriousness of the mood. All her training to hide her emotions left her unable to be vulnerable for very long.

Steve laughed and shook his head. "No."

"Why not?" she exclaimed. "I'm sure there's women out there just dying to be taken out by Captain America, himself."

"Not a lot of time for that around here," he said.

"If I'm starting to learn one thing about living a real life, it's that you have to take advantage of every moment. Watch every sunset, you know?"

"I guess I forget that sometimes. Are you bringing a date?

Alexi laughed. "I got here about 4 days ago and haven't been allowed to leave so you guys are the only people I know."

"Well, if you want, we can go together....as friends," he added quickly.

"Hmm...what would that entail exactly?"

"We can go together. We'll hang out. You'll have someone to talk to. We can dance if you feel like dancing," said Steve.

"As friends?" she clarified.

"Of course."

"That sounds all right. But don't think you'll be getting a goodnight kiss, Captain."

Putting his hands up in surrender, Steve said, "I wouldn't dream of it."

She chuckled and nodded at him. "Ok, then. Deal."

"Good." He stood up to leave taking a few steps but stopped to turn back around. "You know, you and Bucky aren't so different."

Alexi looked up at Steve surprised by his comment. "We both involuntarily worked for Hydra. That's where the similarity ends."

"You have more in common than you think," he said.

"Steve, why are you telling me this?"

"Just putting in a good word for my best friend."

"And why would you do that?"

"I just want everyone in the house to get along."

"That's kind of you, Steve, but I'm not the one having a hard time being civil. He's just so angry around me."

"Maybe you remind him of who he was with Hydra."

"Well, I can't change his mind about me. Sounds like something he needs to work on."

"He is," he started, nodding in agreement. "He goes to a therapist once a week."

"He does?"

"He's got his weekly appointment with her right now. All I'm saying is don't be so hard on him. He's going through a lot."

"And I'm not?"

"Of course, you are, but you're much more mature than him," he smiled. "And someone has to be the bigger person. Something tells me that's you. See you inside." He turned down the path and disappeared in the trees.

----

That evening all the guys were sat around the theatre room about to watch The Godfather. A recommendation from Steve's list of movies he had to watch, no doubt recommended by Sam. Bucky had never seen it either.

"You've never seen The Godfather? Man, it's a classic" Clint was excited to watch as he was heading home the next day and never got to watch movies like this when he was with his kids. "So, how's our stray? I haven't seen her today?" He was referring to Alexi who had opted not to watch the movie.

"She and Natasha are upstairs, I think," Sam answered. "Did she say she was coming to the party on Saturday?"

"She is," Steve answered a little more quickly than he meant to causing everyone to look at him strangely. "Uh...I mean...we talked about it earlier. I said....we could go together. All...all of us. She felt awkward going alone."

Sam laughed. "Oh is that how it is?"

"Guys, It's not like that!" Steve looked to Bucky for sympathy and found none. Bucky had pulled out his phone, pretending to be engrossed by whatever the screen had to offer.

"Well, Steve, I don't blame you. The way she's talking she might not be here long," Sam started. "Got to secure that before it's too late." Knowing his best friend pretty well, he knew Steve wasn't serious about pursuing Alexi, but he couldn't help teasing and watching him get flustered.

Steve turned to Clint, "It really isn't like that."

Clint put his hands up and laughed "I'm staying out of it. You'll have to fill me in on the party drama later."

"You coming on Saturday, man?" Sam asked Bucky who hadn't said much all afternoon.

Bucky shrugged and grunted, "Not my thing."

"You used to love a good party," said Steve.

Bucky breathed out a small laugh "80 years ago, maybe. We'll see." 

They didn't press him any further. He was always in a mood after his therapy sessions. He looked up to see they had started the movie, but he was unable to concentrate on it. Something he had said in therapy was lingering in his mind. He had mentioned the presence of Alexi in the house, how it brought it up a lot of old memories of his time as the Winter Soldier and how she got on his nerves. Without realizing he had spent the better part of an hour talking about her and it wasn't until the last moment before his therapist said, "For someone who repeatedly claimed they don't care about this person, you noted in detail everything she's said and done for the past week. Are you sure it's indifference you're feeling?" Frustrated by those last words ringing in his mind, he got up during the movie and mindlessly walked upstairs.

----

Upstairs, Alexi was sitting in her room reading a book when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," she called to whoever was on the other side.

The door opened and Natasha popped her head in.

"Hey, what's up?" Alexi invited her in while Natasha took a seat on the edge of the bed.

"I wanted to update you on some progress we made with a few contacts the past coupe days. Turns out there were some rumors about an informant that may have some info on an underground Hydra base and guess where its located"

"Berlin?"

"Berlin," Natasha confirmed.

"So, what do we do?" Alexi asked eagerly.

"WE don't do anything. Steve and I are going to look into it." Natasha answered.

"I can be of use here. I'm not used to sitting these things out," Alexi pleaded.

"I know, but you're still too vulnerable at the moment. Until we can be sure you're no longer under their control, we don't want to risk it. It's for your own protection." Natasha looked at her sincerely. Alexi said nothing but looked upset and felt useless. "OK, now never mind all that. Let's talk about something fun. How are you getting along in the house?"

"Oh, um, it's great. Everyone seems ok with me being here for now. Well, almost everyone," she added with a small laugh.

"I think we've all noticed the tension between you and Bucky. What do you think of him?" Natasha asked.

Alexi scoffed. "He's rude, obnoxious, broody..."

Natasha looked at her knowingly. "But you like him?"

Confused by her question, Alexi said, "I just said he was obnoxious."

"So, no feelings for him then?" Natasha continued to push.

"Unless nausea a feeling?" Alexi replied, unamused.

Natasha laughed, "You have to admit, he's pretty good looking."

"Oh, don't get me wrong, he's super hot and all kinds of delicious, but then he opened his rude mouth and now he's kind of ugly." They both laughed.

Natasha, who was nearer the doorway, turned her head slightly thinking she heard someone approaching in the hallway. As the sound didn't continue, she decided she must have heard wrong and continued, "I heard a rumor that you're going to the party with Steve" she said with a smirk.

Understanding the look on Natasha's face, she laughed. "It's not like that. We're going as friends. I think he was just being nice and wanted me to feel included."

Natasha narrowed her eyes and hummed an "mmhmm". She looked like she was trying to read Alexi's mind and went on to say "Go easy on Steve at the party. He's...an innocent," said Natasha.

"I told you it's not like that." Alexi protested. "He's just being friendly. Apart from you, he might be the only other friend I have."

"Everyone likes you. Even Bucky. He's just...complicated. We're all going to help you. I promise."

Alexi felt the sincerity of her words. She looked up at Natasha and said "Thank you" in Russian. Then she added "You've changed, Natasha."

"How so?"

"When we were kids, I looked up to you, wanted to be like you. You were always so strong. Much stronger than me. I was never able to remove the emotion from it all. But you're different now. There's a light in your eyes that wasn't there back then. I think this life has made a positive impact on you."

Natasha was looking down, unable to look at her. "You know...all that time I was at S.H.I.E.L.D, it was really Hydra behind it all along. It's hard to know what good I did."

"I know." A moment passed in silence before Alexi went on. "What you have now, freedom to make your own choices. That's what I want."

"And you'll get it." Natasha said goodnight and left, closing the door behind her. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

205 42 18
Life has been wonderful since you and Bucky were married. Carol has grown into quite the young woman and is going on her own missions with the team...
140K 4.2K 33
When Director Fury seeks reinforcements for his Avengers team, Clint breaks a non-disclosure agreement and decides to bring in an old friend - Katta...
130K 4.6K 19
[COMPLETED 2014 // FOREVER REWRITING] After moving to the wondrous New York City, Alex Heart is skeptical. Aliens, giant lizards, electric blue men...
1.5K 46 16
Avengers Fan fic duh. lots of relationships and humor. you are the character but i had to give her a name. anyway it probably sucks but oh well have...