Tend To My Heart

By BingingsAnonymous

She takes care of everyone. He just wants to take care of her. Evangeline vowed to always make sure her broth... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
AUTHORS NOTE
50
51
52
53
54
EPILOGUE
THANKS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

27

11.6K 302 10
By BingingsAnonymous

Evangeline

      I seem to have a constant pattern of anxiety in moments exactly like this. Granted, I never expected anyone like me to have a moment like this let alone multiple.

My friends and twin brother stalked over, the boys trying to look intimidating and Maya giving me an apologetic look.

Tristan watched them, not even giving me a glance as he did so and I just felt that familiar feeling that two worlds I was unaware of were about to crash and burn.

"You made it" Thomas grinned, greeting Tristan as all males do in that 'bro' kind of way.

Cooper and Lucas did the same, only with more tension and glances over at me.

"Heard you finished your midterms already, I envy you dude" Cooper tried, hoping to break the tension.

"I was lucky enough that two of them were online assignments" Tristan chuckled.

Then a moment of silence washed over and I gulped, looking over at Maya who looked as if she were trying to brainstorm ideas. It was a long and uncomfortable silence that was expected and yet, still insufferable to sit through.

"I don't particularly like you, even more so hanging out with my sister, but I'm willing to squash the tension now for her sake. Considering we're in a bar, I thought I'd let that out before I consumed anymore alcohol and continued on with whatever the hell it is that's happening tonight" Lucas finally said and my anger nearly boiled to the brim.

Speaking about me as if I weren't around, as if I were to be some kind of possession to someone. I couldn't even find the words and based off my friends faces, neither could they.

Instead, I looked up at Tristan who didn't even break the intense staring contest he and Lucas were having while his jaw clenched and we all stood there processing the words, probably wondering what was going to be said next.

"I respect you because you're her brother, but I am here as a friend of hers. Consider it squashed and everything else is up to Evangeline" Tristan replied and the heat traveled from my neck up to my ears.

I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that my brother was practically challenging Tristan and Tristan was actually indulging as if I were some item that were to be shared fairly.

I was truly stunned, more than I can put into words.

"Whatever, just don't pull your usual bullshit with my sister and we shouldn't have any problems" Lucas summed up almost like a final warning and the rest of us couldn't help but watch it all unwind right before our eyes.

Tristan didn't say anything but something in his eyes must've assured my brother because the two finally broke their gaze.

"How about some shots?" Cooper sent me a look and I cleared my throat.

"Ye- yes, shots would be...needed" I mumbled and waved Sal over.

We ordered a round and faced one another, still basking in the awkwardness caused by the two idiots with alpha male complex's.

"What a great start to the night, now let's get wasted!" Maya cheered making us all cheers and throw the drinks back, cringing at the burning taste.

The rest of the night everyone drank their asses off.

Well, almost everyone. I had told Sal to give me water after my fourth or fifth one considering someone was going to have to herd these drunks back to the apartment.

"You aren't wasted at all" Tristan pointed a finger at me, a lazy smile on his lips and his cheeks glowing that crimson color.

"Drunk? No, I'm on a good buzz though" I smiled up at him.

"Lame" he grumbled, sipping the water I'd given him a few moments before and I turned to see the group attempting to play a round of pool.

I chuckled at the sight, Maya and Thomas yelling at Cooper and Lucas for swiping the eight ball right off of the table.

"Very unfair Evangeline, I was supposed to be laughing at you stumbling around all drunken or whatever" Tristan shook his head making me look back up at him with an amused smile.

"That's very unfortunate considering you took twice as many shots as I did" I sighed.

"We took the same am-" he paused to take another thought and I knew he'd catch on sooner than later.

"You sneaky girl" he smirked, leaning down a bit causing the usual warmth in my cheeks to grow.

"Someone has to make sure we get home alive" I told him with a proud smirk.

"Why's it always you?" He asked and for a moment, I wasn't so sure that was drunk Tristan, I'm almost certain it was just him, genuine and all.

"Why not?" I retorted a small smile and his eyes flickered between mine while his jaw tightened.

"V, it's time for those idiots to head home" Sals voice made the both of us straighten our posture and look over at him. The older man wore that look of disappointment as he stared past us with a shake of his head.

When Tristan and I turned around in our stools to follow his gaze, the group was practically leaning on each other for support, drunkenly mumbling the words of the song that played softly in the background of the bar.

I snorted at the sight before sliding off of my stool, Tristan grabbing my wrist before I could walk towards them.

"Are you alright to drive?" He asked and when I looked at him, even as he still sat in the stool, I had to look up just a bit.

"I'm not driving" I chuckled and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"It's a 15 minute walk" I explained with a light laugh.

"Oh..." was all he said and his grip loosened, my wrist growing cold.

"Care to join us for a night stroll?" I smirked, his eyes lighting up when I asked.

"An honor" he playfully bowed, sliding out of his stool and grabbing my coat along with his.

I grinned and gave him a playful courtesy in return before he slipped his coat on, holding mine up for me to put on as well. I blushed at the action but pushed my arms through the sleeves anyway, Tristan sliding the coat up to rest on my shoulders and the heat spread across my face. I caught a glimpse of Sal who was watching us silently, cleaning different glasses behind the counter.

The two of us walked over to the group, stifling our laughter when they were all swaying off beat with their eyes closed.

"Alright troops" I cleared my throat, making the four of them open their eyes and playfully salute me.

"March!" I commanded, the four of them stumbling towards the exit, waving drunk goodbyes to Sal.

"Don't let that hag Cammy see you! She'll have some neighborhood watch group walk you morons home!" Sal waved while Tristan looked at me with concern in his glossy eyes.

"She's usually in bed by 9, we just have to be really quiet about 5 minutes into our walk" I explained earning a skeptical look but he followed us anyway.

"So you've just always...been here, in this town?" Tristan asked as the brisk air hit our faces, the four drunks stumbling a few feet ahead of us.

"Uh yeah, pretty much" I told him, glancing around the town square with a nostalgic smile.

"I didn't even know this place was here" Tristan chuckled, taking a look around for himself.

"It's not a very popular place considering there isn't much to it" I shrugged but took pride in our town. It didn't need recognition and I was more than happy with the small world it's created, separated from the city and whatever else was out there.

"Seems quiet" He pointed out making me smile even more.

"It is..." was all I could say.

"It's nice" Tristan added and I could tell that the quiet in Emeralds Grove differed from the quiet he's used to in his huge apartment.

"Did you have a good time?" I asked him, hoping he didn't come all this way for nothing.

He looked down at me with that dimpled grin and nodded "yes, I have never felt so determined to win at darts than I do right now, where did she learn to throw like that?" He huffed, pointing at Maya.

I laughed and shrugged "not sure, she's undefeated to this day" I explained.

"I will strip her of that title" he swore making Thomas turn to look at us with a drunken grin.

"Not a chance pretty boy" he snorted making Tristans jaw drop open a bit.

"Brutal, your friends are absolutely brutal" he told me, unable to hide his smile.

"And you thought I was bad" I nudged him.

Before he could say anything our heads looked up after hearing that familiar voice.

"Vangie? Maya? Is that you kids down there?"

Shit, I must've not been paying attention.

"G-good evening Miss Cammy!" I waved to the old woman who's head was out of her window about three stories above us.

"Vangie it is 1 am, you kids alright?" She asked and the four in front of me had to compose themselves and try not to piss their pants laughing.

"Yes Miss Cammy, just out for a stroll!" Maya lazily waved her off and I nearly facepalmed.

"You're all coming from Sals aren't you? That old man will have you all stumbling into traffic with the drinks he serves you! Don't move! I'm going to call one of my friends from the towns old neighborhood watch to escort you all home!" She rambled, tucking herself back into her apartment.

I grabbed Tristan's hand and nodded "o-okay Miss Cammy, we'll be waiting right here!" I called before making a run for it behind my friends who did the same, dragging Tristan behind me.

"Old neighborhood watch?" Tristan asked in between breaths as we ran.

"Sal said some neighborhood watch, he didn't say it had to be one that was still active" I laughed, feeling him grip my hand tighter and take off, now being the one ahead a wide grin spread across his face too.

Those damn long legs.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98.9K 3.1K 34
"Love can be a cure, but also a curse. I know it too well, trust me." ><><><><><><>< Evangeline was trying...
285 80 23
Growing up in a toxic environment, sixteen-year-old Jay Foster has always had psychological problems, coupled with a quick temper. But one night some...
1.8K 99 44
"So what did you think of the assignment?" He persisted in getting an answer but Bailey had another conversation already in mind. "I noticed you loo...
4.7K 272 37
𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤 𝙞𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙛𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙤 𝙖 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙖 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙬𝙤𝙠𝙚 𝙪𝙥 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙗𝙚𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙮𝙚𝙙 𝙗𝙮 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙤𝙣𝙚...