Too Late To Say Goodbye | Tom...

By helpingthemind

~1923~ In which Tommy's life seems to be falling into place. Business is expanding, the family is thriving... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
87.
88.
89.
90.
91.
92.
93.
94.
95.
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.
101.
102.
103.
104.
105.
Author's Note

6.

13.5K 412 34
By helpingthemind

TW: mentions of abuse.

Once they reached the door. Tommy let go of her arm to unlock it.

Stepping into the house, He turned to her. "Stay 'ere, I'll be right back."

She wrapped her arms around herself as he made his way up stairs.

Taking a moment to look around. It was the first time she's ever been in this part of the house.

Straight ahead she was able to see the kitchen. And the doors leading into the betting room.

To her left was a small family room, it had a fire place, a coffee table and a couple couches. It was cozy.

She turned her head again once she heard Tommy on the stairs.

He changed out of his wet clothes, now he was wearing a simple white work shirt and black trousers. She liked how he looked outside of a suit. It made him look more boyish rather than a business man to be feared.

In his arms he held another set of clothes, it was the same thing, the only different was that the pants were brown instead of black.

He passed them over to her, "here, go put on some dry clothes. You can change in the first room on the right," he said gesturing towards the stairs "I'll get us some drinks, for when you're done"

Before he got the chance to go to the kitchen she stopped him with her hand on his elbow, turning around he saw her looking at him with a look in her eyes he couldn't quite place,
"Thank you, Tommy"

He slowly nodded and went to go make the drinks.

Once she found the room, she realized that this must've been Tommy's room.

It was simple just a bed in the corner, a dresser, a small vanity and a chair in the other corner.

It really didn't need anything else. And to be honest it's more than she's had in a long time.

Quickly changing out of her soggy clothes, she hung her dress up on the chair to dry.

Looking at herself in the mirror on the vanity she laughed a little.

The clothes were way too big on her. But they were really comfy. They also smelt like Tommy, she wasn't sure why, but that brought her comfort.

Clipping her long hair up, she made her way back down.

Walking into the living room she saw Tommy kneeling down, starting a fire. While two glasses of whiskey waited on the table in front of the couch.

Standing in the door way she cleared her throat in order to grab his attention.

He looked at her quickly, but had to do a double take. Seeing her in his clothes gave him a feeling he couldn't understand.
He's known this woman for just over a week and couldn't brush off the strange feelings she gave him.

"Better?" He asked her

"yes, much better" she nodded with a smile, walking over the the couch.

He followed after her, picking up the glasses and passing her one as he sat down next to her, and proceeded to lit a cigarette.

Looking at the fire as she sipped on her drink.
That was until she felt eyes on her.

She knew Tommy was looking at her, so she slowly turned to look him as well.

Once he caught her eye, he asked her what he's been wanting to know since he met her.

"Where have you been?...as in before Small Heath"

She looked down at her glass, "my story isn't for friendly conversation Tommy"

This only peaked his interest more,
"I don't care much for friendly conversations."

Flicking her eyes back up at him, she bit her lip in thought, not knowing what to say to him.

Seeing this he reached his hand out and gently rubbed his thumb against her lip, telling her to stop biting it. Connecting their eyes, Bella thought about everything he's done for her. She can at least try to be honest with him in return.

Starting to take a couple deep breaths, before Tommy spoke again.

"Why do you do that? Take the breaths?" He asked her gently. In the short time he's known her, he's noticed her doing it quite often.

Letting out the one she was holding, "it helps calm me nerves. I use to let them get the best of me, but someone taught me how to breathe in order to collect meself"

Tommy looked at her in curiosity, he's never heard of that before. "If telling me your past makes you nervous, you do 'Ave to"

Shaking her head, "no. You've been nothing but kind to me. Telling you how I got here is the least I can do"

Tommy sat patiently waiting for her. Watching as she took another breath.

"Well starting at the beginning, I had a pretty normal life. I grew up in a tiny village, not too far from here actually. I didn't mind it for a while. I'd spend most of me time with me brother, he was a couple years older than me but never left me behind."

This sparked Tommy's interest, "where is he now, peach?"

She gave him a sad look before taking a drink and continuing, "my dad and brother both went to the war, I lost them both to it. 1917 actually, I was 14 when they left and 16 when they died"

Tommy nodding in understanding, he knew the toll the war had on people. "I too was in the war, in the tunnels"

Bella's head snapped up, she had no idea.

Tommy urged her to continue her story, not wanting to talk about his time in the war, "it's okay peach, go on"

She looked at him for another second, making sure he really was okay, then continued her tale
"Growing up we'd spend a lot of time at church." She told him

"You believe in god peach? Didn't take ya for a church girl" he interrupted, getting more and more invested with every piece of information he found out.

Looking down at her drink, she shook her head no. Speaking so softly Tommy almost didn't hear her, "If god was real, he doesn't give a fuck about me."

Her words surprised Tommy. He's never heard her swear before and the tone she used showed how serious she was. He took another hit of his cigarette.

Looking up at him, "I use to believe in the lord. When I young....but when I was around 6 years old our church started fighting to get me and me brother into foster care, for child neglect, got the crown involved and everything..."

Tommy watched her in a way that told her he was listening. She hadn't talked about her past in a long time, but she felt a sense of protection around Tommy, so she continued,
"They found out me mum was using. Opium poppy actually. She was hooked on it. I know she was an addict but...she was still me mum and she just needed help....but that's not how they saw it and used it to take us away from me parents."

Tommy could tell that this was hard to talk about for her, so he reached out and placed his hand on top of hers.

She quickly turned her hand over to hold his. 

"I was in the church's custody for two years. Me brother and I. The father there...he..he was suppose to be a man of god but...the things he did...they did not reflect his beliefs"

It took Tommy a second to understand what she meant. When he did he took a drink of his whiskey and gave her hand a little squeeze.

Tommy wanted to express how angry this made him, he wanted to find out who the man was and make sure he got what he had coming.

But looking over at the girl. Watching her take her breaths in order control her nerves, he thought better of it. Letting her collect herself.

"After a few years, the crown agreed to give my parents custody back, under the condition that me dad had to be present....once we were home me brother never let me leave his sight and I was grateful for it...Dad got the help my mum needed. And she was good for a while. Until the war came along.
Both me father and brother left. My two protectors left me. I tried to stay strong for me Mum ...but it got a lot harder, right before me 17 birthday we got the news. Both of them had died in battle. First my brother and then a week later my father."

Bella took a break to wipe a tear that was about to fall. Letting out a pathetic laugh but she continued,
"After this my mother couldn't take it anymore, she started using again. And not long after we got the news, the crown wanted to send me back into the care of the church, since my father was no longer around.
But I refused to go back to that man, especially since this time I wouldn't even have me brother for comfort...So instead I fled. I left in the middle of the night. I left my mum, and haven't seen her since. Then ended up in London."

She paused before looked up at him "my time in London, was a dark place and I did things that I'm not proud of but don't regret them. If it meant protecting the people around me, I'd do anything for them...but I think that story is for a different time." She wrapped up the story of her past

Tommy was still holding her hand. He didn't want to push for more tonight. But at some point he needs to know what happened in London.

He wasn't sure why he said the next thing.

It might've been the drinks or the fact that she was just so vulnerable with him or maybe he just wanted to tell someone...or maybe he just wanted her to know.

"I don't love her."

That was not what Bella expected him to say.

In fact she was confused about what he was talking about. He must've seen the look on her face so he clarified.

"The woman I'm meant to marry, Charlie's mother. I don't lover her, at one point I did. But that's in the past."

She continued to look at him, "if that's true then why are you doing it?"

Tommy sighed and looked down. "Because it's what's right...Years ago she betrayed my family, lost all of our trust, including mine. then left, went to New York.
Just over a year ago she came back. I made a mistake by seeing her, but from it She gave me Charlie. And I could never regret Charlie."

Bella nodded her head taking this information in, "So you're doing it for your boy...tha-that's a very admirable thing to do."

"It doesn't feel admirable, but it's what's proper. She loves me, I think. And I thought maybe I could grow to love her again in time."

He paused for a moment.
"Have you ever been in love, peach?"

She looked down at theirs hands, fidgeting with his finger for a second.

"Yes...once..,but that feels like a life time ago now."

Bella took her hand out of his. At this he looked back up to her. He didn't want to let go. It felt like it was holding both of them together at that moment.

But then she put it on his cheek. "I think you're a very admirable man. And that little boy of yours is very lucky to have you as his father...Perhaps one day you'll be able to mend things with his mother."

Tommy just looked at her, he actually felt bad about what she said. She didn't know a lot about his life style.

"You speak too highly of me peach, you wouldn't be saying that if you knew some of the things I've done."

She actually laughed at this, removing her hand from his face, taking a sip.
"I can say the same to you. If you knew what happened in London,...I'm not as good of a person as you think I am."

There was a brief pause. What could this girl have possibly gotten involved with in London?

"You mean to tell me you're not a church man either Mr. Shelby?"

Now it was Tommy's turn to chuckle, snapping back into reality.

"I dont know if the Bible is true, but if it is,...then it's straight to hell for me"

Keeping a smirk on her face, "if that's the truth, then I'll be right behind you. But until then...
Til' death do us unite, Thomas Shelby"

Lifting her glass, waiting for him to do the same

Tommy smirked, shaking his head, but lifted his glass to hers

"Til' death do us unite, peach"

They drank to that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

725K 19.5K 67
after a night of violent pub fights, michael gray stumbles across a shivering midwife and offers her company after the delivery of a baby. [started...
457K 16.3K 43
๐ž๐ ๐จ ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐œ๐ค | โ in a fight they're malicious, around each other, they melt.โž โ”โ”โ” in which evelyn shelby falls for...
130K 2.9K 42
Emilia Weathers has worked for the Shelby family for years , but a family secret has started to draw a line between blood and money. [[ Thomas Shelby...
254K 8.6K 34
๐™–๐™ง๐™ง๐™ค๐™ฌ ๐™ค๐™› ๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ข๐™š โ€ข ๐™–๐™ก๐™จ๐™ค ๐™˜๐™–๐™ก๐™ก๐™š๐™™ ๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ข๐™š'๐™จ ๐™–๐™ง๐™ง๐™ค๐™ฌ, ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™˜๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™š๐™ฅ๐™ฉ ๐™ฅ๐™ค๐™จ๐™ž๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š "๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™š-๐™ฌ๐™–๐™ฎ ๐™™๐™ž๐™ง๐™š๐™˜...