Not Giving Into Fate

By a-girl-who-wishes

I was the daughter of Duke Solon, I thought I was the last child. My elder brother is following in my father'... More

1. Necklace of Rope and Needles
2. Morning Plans
3- Awkward Talks
5- An Unlikely Friend
6- A Lady in the Park
7- Family acting like a family
8- Meeting with the Masters
9- Book Club Initiation
10- The Trash Man Makes a Visit
11- The Memory Orb
12- Long Meetings
13- Dinner and Trial Plans
14. Day of the trial, part 1
15- Day of the Trial, part 2
16- Execution
17- Family Dinners
18- The Morning After
19- The Hunting Tournament
20-Hunting Tournament 2
21- The Grand Sorcerer
22- Rides with the Grand Sorcerer
23- A Surprising Sibling Brunch
24- The Substitute
25- The Opening of Doors
26- Tour of the Tower
27- The break- in
28- Night at the Opera
29- The First Day of Classes
30- Breaking His Curse
31- The Pope and his teas
32- The Bulnan Chief
33- My Coming of Age
34- The Bastard's Reveal

4- Missing Mage

1.1K 32 4
By a-girl-who-wishes

It's been four days since I've sent a letter to Milo and he has not responded. My pigeon returned with my letter unopened, but there was another letter attached to her leg. I took both and read the new letter, recognizing the seal. It was from Master Ofran, saying we will be having a meeting today.

I look at my calendar. It's been four days now since I've come back. I have a meeting today and I haven't met Milo yet. This is the second time he hasn't responded to me. My pigeon knows how to do her job, so it's Milo who is sending her back. But why? I need to speak with him and ask him to he an ally against Catherina.

I untie the letters and send them both to rest. I leave my study, knowing it'll take me time to get ready for the meeting.  It's early in the morning, the sun is just rising and I haven't slept. It doesn't matter how little sleep I got, I need to arrive early to speak privately with Milo.

I walk to my room, passing by Anna who is surprised to see me up. I instruct her to get me ready, saying I have business to attend to. Matilda comes in shortly after but I send her out to inform the butler to ready the carriage. I am quickly bathed and changed into my mage cloths, makeup concealing my under eyes. I haven't slept in two days. I curse my insomnia, wishing I could sleep normally.

I exit the house and see there are three carriages being set. I frown, not wanting to see my father. Luckily, he isn't here yet, just Elric. I walk forward and wait next to him while the riders get the horses aligned. Elric doesn't look at me, nor I at him.

"You're up early." He breaks the silence.

"I never slept." I state. I fan myself, bored with the waiting.

"Sister," He calls my name and I look up at him. He looks down at me. "Where are you off to?"

I look down at my outfit. I'm wearing my Head Mage robe. I have on the official robes of the Magic Tower, I wouldn't wear this anywhere else. I look back up at him, wondering if this is a joke. I shouldn't expect it, so I refrain from being sarcastic.

"I have a very important meeting. Why are you up early?" I ask, curious about him and if he's suddenly gained some humor. He has a straight face, completely serious, but then a twitch in his lip reveals the joke. I turn away from him and I feel his gaze leave.

"I have a meeting with the great duchies, all Captains are meeting today." He informs me.

"All? Doesn't Duke Driscol not leave the North?" I question, curious about the mysterious man. No one really knows how he looks like. He didn't show up at my royal wedding, ever elusive and almost creepy. He hasn't shown his face since his parents died almost a decade ago and when he supported the exiled Prince, everyone grew more interested.

"He comes and goes. While it is a journey, he uses the magical portal that allows him to travel across great areas." He informs me. I nod my head, that device is rare and extremely valuable.

"Yet he remains isolated from society. Why?" I ask, curious about my fiancé's cousin.

"Why do you care?" He asks me, voice sharp with growing anger. I stop fanning and look up at him, he doesn't look at me.

I suddenly remember that he also doesn't like Duke Driscol. They've fought a lot as young adolescents and that lasted until adulthood. I never cared much to hear about the many people Elric doesn't like, but I'm sure something stupid happened and my brother can hold a grudge. My brother can be quite petty, but I need him on my side.

"I'm just making conversation." I state curtly. He doesn't say anything, we both don't. As the carriages finish up, we are informed we can enter.

I see my usual guard- Maddox- standing by my carriage. I steel my disappointment. He works for Ivan. He sends Ivan updates on my life, where I'll be and who've I met with. I have to get him fired, but Elric will question why the sudden change. I'll have to come up with a way to get him away from me. I walk forward to my carriage and to the smiling guard.

"Sister," I pause from entering, holding my guard's hand. I look to Elric. "I am free tonight for dinner."

"Dinner?" I freeze at the deep voice. I look behind me and see my father walking towards us, somehow scaring the both of us with his silent presence.

I let go of my guard and turn to face him, curtsying and looking at his feet. "Good morning father." Elric greets our father with a bow, I echo him.

"Good morning. What is this I hear of dinner?" My father asks. I stand and look at him.

He has short hair, white hair, hair of the Solons. He looks at us with the green eyes we all share. While we all have the same dominant features of the green eyes and white hair, I look more like mom, Elric a carbon copy of our father when he was young.

I stare at the man that sent me to my death, the man that loved a stranger more than the kids he raised. I look into the green eyes that stared me down as I had the noose tightened around my neck. I still remember mouthing out a help to him, knowing he could see and he didn't do anything. The only emotion he gave was the closing of his eyes as the floor gave out under me.

I touch my neck, the vivid drop and sputtering before my death. I look away from him, breaking eye contact. I grip my skirt, hoping it hides my shaky hands. I can't show how I feel in front of him, he'll scorn me.

"Sister and I are having dinner together. Would you be able to attend?" Elric offers an invitation. I grit my teeth, not wanting to be with him. I'm not ready. I can't see him, it's too soon.

Father looks at me, wondering if Elric is lying. I clear my throat, ready to respond. "I invited him to dinner and he replied by saying when a day would be good to him."

"I will join. We'll eat tonight at 7, don't be late." Father orders before walking past us and getting into his carriage.

I look at Elric and he looks as shocked as I am. He has never once accepted our invitation to tea and meals when we were younger so we gave up. This was long before we were deep in the competition.

I nod my head and get inside my carriage, wanting to be alone. The door closes, Maddox following on horseback. I take a deep breath, fanning myself. I frown to tonight, a dinner with my family. I can't even remember the last time I've actually sat down with my father. Maybe when I was an older child. I sit with open legs and open arms, the cool summer morning fresh on my skin.

I can feel the guard's eyes on me. I keep my eyes closed, resting for a while. I sleep through the journey but after three hours, we've approached the Magic Tower.

Originally, the Magic Tower was just a single, circular building, hence the Tower. However, as mages were growing and the university started to hold students, many expansions have occurred. It now looms over me, a fantastic building that rivals the Palace.

My door opens and I get out. My guard clouds over me, always a close 2- step distance away. I see few people walking about, busy with whatever they do. School has not yet started, so mainly staff members who live on campus stay over the summer.

Most of the people I pass are staff members, people I have no connection with because they're in different departments. I am stopped by a few people. Normally, I would ignore them but I forced myself to stay in a small conversation. I am trying to get people to like me.

It took longer than I expected, but I finally had reached Milo's fancy office. I knocked but I heard no reply. I knock harder, calling out his name.

"Master Solon!" Someone calls out. I look to my left and Master Ofran (Master of Potions) walks towards me.

"Master Ofran, do you know where the Grand Sorcerer is?" I ask, needing to speak with him. He's a man a few years older than me, and he was a teacher of mine before becoming a Master. We both sit on the council seeing as we have the title Master. He's a good man, glasses resting on his nose and kind eyes sit behind them.

"Please, come with me for tea." Ofran puts his arm around my shoulders and forces me with him. I have no choice but to comply, but I look over my shoulder as he talks about issues he wants to bring up in the next meeting.

I enter his office and take a seat in his lounge area, ignoring how he was heading toward his desk. He coughs, but follows me. The door closes on its own and I cross my arms, sitting in front of him.

"Where is he?" I ask, knowing the good relationship they share. He should know where Milo is. Milo Lavigne is the Grand Sorcerer, holding more magic than anyone here. The second greatest is Ofran. Well, I unofficially have power thats's close to Ofran.

I've taken the official test, but I have not released my score, only Milo knows. Masters display their score to show strength and this allows them to build allies inside and outside the Tower. However, I do not have the luxury.

Currently I'm engaged to be the next Queen. While having a strong Queen is favorable, if I'm too powerful I will outshine the King and... I guess that won't do. So, I am forced to stay silent. However, many people know I'm powerful, stronger than most of the other Masters.

"That's why I called a meeting," He sits down and I follow. "He's been missing."

I frown at the news. "Missing? Since when?"

"He left almost a week ago."

I frown some more, that was before I came back. Around this time before I died, he never left the University- hell he never left the grounds. Why is he gone? What had changed since the past and now?

"What do you mean missing? Did you see him before he left?" I ask, curious on the young Grand Sorcerer's whereabouts.

"Yes," he rubs his forehead with worry. "I came over in the early morning for a question and saw him packing. He said he had to find 'her'. I tried asking who, but he wouldn't reply. He just left right after."

I frown, wondering if he's going to find Catherina. I fist my hands. No, he didn't like her in the past, surely it can't be her. So, who is the one he's looking for? Why did he leave everything for her? 

"Master Solon," Ofran calls my name and I look at him. "I need your help. Pamen wants Lavigne's position. He can't have it. At this meeting, I will be announcing his disappearance since that night. That buys us some time."

"Time for what?" I ask, knowing he has a plan in motion.

"If he doesn't return in 30 days, the title is transferred and there will be a rite ceremony." Ofran warns me. I bite my lip, not wanting to go through that terrible, rigorous trial again. I still have nightmares.

"So, we have to find him." I nod my head. "Send some scouts out to him."

"I have." Ofran shakes his head. "He's using magic to block himself from my signal. I've sent scouts and they have no clue. It's hard to find the most powerful being when he don't want to be found."

I sigh, knowing how difficult it is to deal with Milo. "Do you have any clues? I want to look in his office."

"You can look after the meeting, it's about to start soon. Solon, I need you on my side." Ofran pleads.

I nod my head. "Pamen can't get his hands on that title. And... I think I may know a person who can help us." I stand up and smooth out my robes. Ofran stands with me, guiding me out of his office. I see my guard standing outside and I dismiss him. He bows and leaves us.

Ofran and I walk to the council room at the center of the building. As we walk silently, we see more Masters. There's only six Masters who have achieved the title Sorcerer and one Grand Sorcerer.

When we all sit down in our prospective seats, the door closes but one seat remains empty. I look at the head of the table, Milo's disappearance now apparent.

I look at my peers. I oversee Ancient Magic. Feant looks over Charms, he is an old man who should be retired but he likes his job too much. Cappum looks over the Elemental magic, a young man my age who ingests too many herbs and his eyes are always red. Mablem is the Master of Healing, he's quiet, rarely talks and keeps to his books, much like me. Pamen oversees Battle Magic, a middle- aged man made of scars and burns. Ofran who is master of Potions stands up, clearing his throat.

"Good morning, thank you all for coming over. I know some of you travelled, so I thank you more for attending today's meeting. Now, for the agenda." Ofran coughs. "Grand Sorcerer Milo Lavigne has gone on a mission in an undisclosed area for an indeterminate amount of time. He left about a week ago. He told me he will be returning and anointed me his role until he returns."

"Master Ofran," Master Pamen stands up. "How can I be sure the Grand Sorcerer will even return? How can I trust you to tell the truth? How can I trust you to take his role for the short time?"

"Master Pamen," Ofran narrows his eyes. "I've sworn an oath to everyone here to be honest and work for the Magic Tower and magic herself. I assure you, it will be a losing battle if you try to call me dishonest in the name of magic."

Pamen coughs, looking around for help but everyone stays silent. "I never intended to say anything rude, I just worry about our future."

"Master Pamen," I speak. "If it pleases you, I will work with Master Ofran. I've worked closely to the Grand Sorcerer and often completed paperwork for him. I have no doubts that Master Ofran will succeed, but if it eases everyone's mind, I can assist him."

I look at everyone, making eye contact with steel eyes. I hold their eyes until they look away from me and then I finish with Feant. I can tell he's angry, hands fisted and jaw clenched. He stares me down, trying to act intimidating. I can't help but smirk, knowing that I share the Solon glare and everyone bows down. My smirk widens when Feant sits down on his seat with a scowl.

I look to Ofran who has a grateful smile. "I look forward to meeting with you in the near future. Now, next order of business. New recruits will be entering the Tower in a month and we need to..."

The rest of the meeting goes as normal as they usually go. It's about to be the end of the summer and during the early autumn, our recruits enter the school. However, the summer means we have to find people with an affinity to magic. For some unknown reason, our numbers have been decreasing. But, we still need to find students, so this is the first year we are opening up the school to those who aren't nobles or come from rich families. We are taking all magical people, no matter their background.

By the time the meeting ended, I walked to his office with Ofran. We had food given to us. When we were alone, I asked him more questions about Milo but he couldn't give me any more help. He did let me look over the reports of the scrying mages, seeing the lack of progress. Milo is a powerful sorcerer and he can hide his mana from the mages, an incredibly difficult thing to do.

"Master Solon," I look up from the reports. "Thank you for standing with me during the meeting, but Pamen is a powerful man."

"I think we all know I'm stronger than him. Besides, I am not scared of an old man like him." I flash a small smile and then look down, flipping to the last report.

"I don't mean to be rude," Ofran sits in front of me. I sigh and stop looking at the reports. "Why have you not taken the Mana Affinity Test? We all know how strong you are, you could have a higher rank, given more responsibility."

"That's exactly why." I confide with him, knowing that I no longer need to hide the truth. This life, I'm not holding back. "As you know, when I first entered the Academy there was a lot of issues regarding my family who stands in support of the Temple. Well, if I took the test, there would be more issues. The son of the Solon family is the Captain for the Temple Knights. The daughter of the Solon family is an incredibly powerful figure on the council of the Magic Tower, the same daughter is engaged to the Crown Prince. No, it would cause too many issues on all sides. Royal family will be threatened, so will the Temple. The Tower is strong institution, but we don't have enough people. Nobles will take sides, people will be pressured... it's better this way." I force a smile.

"I implore you to not hold back anymore. We're friends and if that happens... we will have your back." Ofran gives me an honest smile. I smile back at him.

"Thank you. I- I think I want to change my life." I set the stack of reports next to me. "I feel like I always limited myself for my family, the way my father taught me how. I don't have friends with nobles my age, during the Academy I know people avoided me because of my father when I first came. When that died down, I still didn't have anyone."

"I mean, we still became friends, you, me and Milo."

I nod my head. "Yeah, I- I'm grateful. I want to be more bold, not hold myself back because if my father hates me or ignores me... I don't care anymore. When there is another test, I will take it."

"I look forward to seeing your results." Ofran smiles.

I stand, dusting off my robes. "I have a friend who might be able to help us find Milo. He's hiding his mana, so we have to find him through regular means. I know just a guy who knows everything about everything. I'll report to you any news."

"Please keep me updated. I'll be here." He stands and I nod. I nod my head and leave his room. It's now the early afternoon, the meetings are draining. Having spent the entire day with the Masters, it reminds me why I stay in my own house- avoiding unnecessary drama. I would love nothing more than to return home, but I need to meet up with an old friend.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7M 303K 125
Falling into the fiery hell she created must've been the perfect way for her to die. The other woman would then become the heroine that saved the tow...
20.5K 815 51
My name is Princess Annebelle Kinston. My mom and dad rule this kingdom. My brother is to be the next ruler and my sister after him. No one likes the...
48.1K 1.6K 49
She lead a rather tragic life. The black sheep of her family due to her lack of affinity for fire. Her affinity was quite the opposite. Water in fac...
295 3 1
I live in a world where I am nameless. I live in a world where I do not matter except or unless I am owned by someone. I do not have rights, freedoms...