Donovan(Ongoing)

By Penglowy

DARK ROMANCE -Boma is a freshman who is used to staying out of trouble while Donovan, an epitome of danger is... More

1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31

4

9.2K 227 47
By Penglowy

Boma sat across from Hilda as they had lunch in the cafeteria the next day.

As Hilda ate, Boma picked at her food. Occasionally, she would stare at the ring on her finger. It reminded her of Donovan. She didn't like it. But she was scared of removing it, because of his warning.

"Try and stop worrying," Hilda advised. "Eat your food."

"I just can't."

"I warned you not to go there. Now you've ended up getting noticed by a fraternity guy. And the worst of it is that you got a point one? Do you know how serious this is?"

"Would you stop giving me the 'I told you so' lecture? If you want me to apologize a thousand times, I would."

"Look, I'm sorry. I just want you to be fine."

"Scolding me and telling me not to worry at the same time, without offering a solution is not so good for me."

"I'm not talking this way because there is no solution."

Boma's eyes lighted up with hope at her friend's words.

"Do you have a solution?"

"Relax. As a year two student, I know some things. My course mate is a cultist. I have consulted him and the solution is simple."

Boma listened earnestly. She wanted to be free of the problem as soon as possible.

"Well?" She prompted.

"He said we need to pay homage. He said sometimes, Point ones can pick a girl. If she doesn't want the relationship, she can pay homage to the point one and he would let her go?"

"How do I pay homage to him?"

"They don't like being denied, so in matters like this, if you already have a boyfriend, he would be the one to pay homage but since you're single, you will have to do it yourself."

"How is the homage paid?"

"You will give him an offering. It has to be some gift like a bottle of wine, something good. Maybe a wristwatch but it has to be of some value. Not too cheap."

"But you know I don't have money. My parents are struggling after a bad investment."

"I know. We are in the same boat but I will support you. After now we'll get wine and a wristwatch so we can send it through a presenter."

"A presenter?"

"It has to be presented by someone from another fraternity. They consider outsiders doing this, an insult. It will spark trouble."

"Gosh, this is serious."

"I know, but it will pass, don't worry."

"Thank you so much. But is this a guarantee that he will let me go?"

"Sure."

"Okay. Now I can eat."

"Good." Hilda encouraged.

After their meal, they left campus and entered the city. They shopped for wine and a wristwatch which cost them half of their allowances. Then they packaged it properly in their room. After they put everything in a fancy bag, Hilda hugged her comfortingly. "Don't worry, everything will be alright." She said.

Later, Hilda's course mate arrived and took the bag. Hilda introduced him as Harold. She also said she just started dating Harold. The two girls joined him in his car. He was a friendly-faced guy. As he drove off the campus, he was somewhat withdrawn.

"Did she tell you that this is not a guaranty?" Harold asked Boma. His question renewed her anxiety as she stared at him, perplexed.

"Harold you can't kill her hope like that." Hilda gently chided Harold.

"It's better she knows the truth." Harold pointed out.

Boma bowed her head and buried her face in the palm of her hands.

"I'm sorry." Hilda apologized. "I just didn't want you to worry." she further explained.

"It's okay." Boma managed to reply. "It's better to try than give up."

"That's the spirit." Harold encouraged and kept driving.

It was a silent drive after that as the atmosphere in the car was melancholy.

Minutes later, they arrived at an estate with security at the gate.

The place was where most of the rich students lived.

The security let them in and they parked in the general parking lot.

Harold made them wait in the car as he approached one of the apartments.

She could recognize a couple of guys who had taken her to Donovan. They were conversing outside with one of them smoking.

They watched as after a few words Harold was allowed into the house.

Boma waited anxiously as Hilda kept encouraging her to calm down.

After a while, Harold returned. The bag was not in his hand, so they were hopeful that the gift had been accepted.

Harold got into the car and sighed as they looked at him hopefully.

"I'm sorry." He said to Boma. "He received the homage, but practically told me not to bother with this issue anymore."

Boma's face fell. "What do I do now?"

"I don't know," Harold responded. "On the bright side, as his girl, you will be protected. No one will touch or harass you."

"I just want to be free."

"This school is rough. Every girl needs protection. Some girls practically seek cultists out, just to be protected. It is just survival instincts."

"Why is the school like this?" Boma could not understand it.

"That's government schools for you. If you want a school without threats, you have to attend a private institution. They are more expensive. But I am sure you already know that."

"So why did you become a cultist?" Boma asked.

"Simple. To belong somewhere. To have some sort of protection."

"Is everyone in this school a cultist?"

He laughed. "No. And not all people get in trouble with cultists. It's just unfortunate that you're in this situation."

"If I were to take my chances, what's my final solution?"

"Leaving school. Probably relocating."

"I don't have the means to do all that. Maybe I should tell my parents."

"I don't recommend that. It will get them in trouble. This thing runs beyond campus. All your parents will do is inform campus security. Donovan's father is a top government official. His uncle is the Dean. Everyone would rather be in his good books. His mother is a protocol officer in the State Government House. He practically owns the school. That's why his fraternity tops every other cult group. Even some of the lecturers and administration staff belong to his fraternity. The fraternity is also involved in politics. I don't want to go into all that."

Hearing all these, Boma buried her face in her hands again and started crying. All Harold and Hilda could do was console her and calm her down.

Later, around 10:00 pm, in the room, Hilda grabbed her books and headed for the door.

"I'm going for all-night reading," she informed Boma who lay awake on her bunk, staring at the ceiling.

The school had a lecture hall that was open every night. Students would go there and read till dawn, some falling asleep and waking up to continue reading. Students loved it as it was motivating.

"Have a good study," Boma told her.

"Thanks. But are you sure you won't join me?"

"No. I just want to rest."

"Okay. Don't think too much."

"I will try. Take care."

As soon as Hilda left the room, Boma's phone rang. Her heart skipped a beat for no just cause. Upon checking she saw that she was getting her first call from Donovan. Maybe that was what triggered her fear. It was his aura even though he was far from her.

She refused to pick up the call, even though she knew she could not keep ignoring it. A second call followed immediately. Reluctantly, she received it.

"Hello." Her voice came out unsteady because of her fear of him.

"Where were you?" His voice filled the phone, dark, sensual, and unnerving.

"I was- I am in the hostel in my room."

"Okay. So why didn't you pick the first call?"

"I- the phone was on silent. I didn't see it early."

"Why did you keep it on silent mode?"

"I usually do that when I am about to go to bed."

"Don't do that again until you hear from me before going to bed, okay?"

"Okay."

"And always make sure your phone is close to you. Missed calls get me angry, alright?"

"Okay."

"Good. So I got your homage today. I'm sure you were given the result."

"Yes."

"Great. It's a no. Don't send another homage again. Don't even think about involving anyone in this anymore. You don't want to see my bad side. I'm not going to hurt you. I know you're scared, but I promise, you will come to like me. I will protect you. I will care for you, financially and by other means necessary. All I need from you is your submission. Okay?"

Boma stayed silent.

"Did I just say something?" He asked, his voice still low, but forceful.

"Okay." She responded.

"I want to see you tomorrow after your class, so we can get better acquainted and you can learn what I expect from you."

"Okay."

"Meanwhile, how come someone else's boyfriend came with your homage?"

"He- um-" Boma was confused about how to explain herself.

"I thought you said you had a boyfriend?" He pressed.

"Well, I-"

"Think twice before lying to me again, Sweetheart. Are we clear?"

"Yes."

"So?"

"I don't- I don't have a boyfriend."

"So why did you lie to me?"

"Because I was afraid. I am afraid of you."

"Remember that when next you're about to lie to me. I am not a monster. But I can be depending on your attitude. Is that understood?"

"Yes."

"I will see you tomorrow. From your course timetable here, I see you will be free by two. I will be free too, so you're going to meet me at the Zoom cafeteria for lunch. Don't be late. Alright?"

"Okay."

"Dress well. You represent me now."

"I don't have clothes that suit your taste." She managed to bite out.

"Fine. We'll go shopping then. Sleep tight, baby."

He ended the call without waiting for her response.

Alone in the room, she curled herself into the sheets and cried softly into her pillow. She was glad that her friend was not there. It gave her room to mourn her situation to her satisfaction as she dreaded the coming day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 80 34
Camellia has a dark past. It's why she is the way she is. She has walls up for a reason and she has no intention of tearing the down. She loves...
1K 26 4
❛ 𝖲𝖮𝖬𝖤𝖳𝖧𝖨𝖭' 𝖣𝖨𝖥𝖥𝖤𝖱𝖤𝖭𝖳 𝖠𝖡𝖮𝖴𝖳 𝖸𝖮𝖴. ❜ ᥫ᭡▐ 𝗌𝗒𝗇𝗈𝗉𝗌𝗂𝗌 ; making your imagination ...
133K 3K 43
Alena starts her freshman year at the University of Hellia, a prestigious school for people gifted with supernatural abilities. When a prophecy conne...