ᴅᴇᴇᴘᴇʀ

By sawvvy

❝She was like a perfect paradise, tearing at its seam.❞ To everyone, Chimdi Gentry lived the perfect life wit... More

Preface
Character Aesthetics
Prologue
Interlude
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
Interlude
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
Interlude
53
55
Interlude
Epilogue
Sufface

54

183 78 3
By sawvvy

Monsters did not always
Hide in the shadows,
Sometimes, they were the
All too familiar shadows, themselves.

__

When Chimdi was nothing but an innocent, albeit scared child, who looked at the world through an infant's eyes, she'd thought monsters looked hideous like they'd illustrated in the story books Antni read her at night.

Monsters who hid inside wardropes, under the bed and table at night. With red eyes, scaly green skins and sharp claws...

Time and age changed all that.

She learned that they lived in the same world as her, breathed the same air with her and were human who she came across everyday.

However, what she didn't realize even as she grew, was that monsters weren't only humans. That they could pretend to love you just the way the moon loves the sun.

"Of all the impromptu plans I've been making today," an amused voice sang out, sashaying into the room. "I'd say yours is the highlight of them all."

Chills crept up Chimdi's spines as she stared at the voice addressing her, in nothing but a black sweatpant and cotton shirt, but still managed to look elegant in them.

It all fell into place. Everything.

The She Farouq had mentioned.

The name the boy couldn't utter because he was too steeped in fear to do so.

The woman that had promised him everything in exchange for everything.

It had been her mother all these while?

"Mum?"

The woman sent her a glare that could cut through steel.

"Don't call me that!"

Chimdi recoiled.

Staring at the elegant woman, Chimdi discovered something else in the bolt of revelation she was receiving.

Ginika Gentry's eyes.

They were like hollow pits.

Cold. Dark. Empty.

And as the woman smiled, her smile came out like a stretch of skin on her lips.

It held no emotions.

No anger, no pity... Nothing.

It was like she was dead.

And that sent chills racing down Chimdi's spine.

The skinny girl breathed in as her heart began to beat loudly. The fear was sipping into her skin and based on human instinct, she was left to decide which way to go.

Fight or flight?

But as she tried to move, she discovered one more thing that had her stilling, as everything finally registered.

She'd been abducted.

By her own mother.

Her hands were bound together at her back, so tight that she was unable to move, as pain sliced through her joint.

Alarmed, she looked around, they were inside a dilapidated building.

All they had as company were large cobwebs, decaying wood and cricket sounds.

Not even her friends were with her.

That sent another bolt of fear inside her.

What had she done with her friends?

And TJ?

Her heart almost lurched out of her throat at the thought of her boyfriend and her friends.

She should have listened when they told her not to continue their totally reckless venture. No no, she shook her head. She shouldn't have jumped into the car in the first place, she should have let everything go and leave the rest to the cops.

If she had, she wouldn't have been abducted and her friends wouldn't have been in danger.

But then, she thought of Farouq. Farouq and his story. Farouq being abducted. The pure look of terror on his face-

A pained growl snapped her back to reality after what sounded like a splash.

Instinctively, she turned to see what spurred such sound and behold, to her utter horror she found a helpless looking Farouq, a wet mess and strapped to a chair.

She gulped as she took everything in. The boy was having a coughing fit as a dirty bucket was held in Ginika's hand.

Chimdi's guess was that Ginika had emptied the contents of the bucket on the poor boy.

And to that, she felt the icy caress of dread on her skin, filling her mind... She never thought, not even in a million years did she think that her Mother would go back to being a monster.

She thought those days were over. Ginika had told her that herself. They were finally comfortable. They had enough money... There was no need for the horrible life she once lived.

But then again, she heard the woman's threatening voice in her head. It was still evergreen in her memory.

With just a click, I'll make your life a living hell.

She shook off the haunting words as she took in the sight before her.

Farouq had stopped coughing as he now stared brazenly at her Mother. An unapologetic look gracing his face.

Chimdi saw him glance her way before he faced Ginika. "She finally found out didn't she?"

Ginika's palm landed on the boy's cheek in a hard collision much to Chimdi's horror.

"I told you to keep your mouth shut!" The older woman gritted out in pure fury.

Farouq wasn't fazed one bit. "It could have happened sooner or later. Even without you ordering to have my head on a spike. She deserves to know the truth!"

Ginika snorted. "Why? Because you finally grew a conscience? You thought you could do things your own way now that your sick old grandmother has passed on."

Farouq's jaw clenched in pure sizzling anger as he glared daggers Ginika's way. "Don't you dare talk about Mama in such manner."

A chuckle left Ginika's lips as she circled the boy, her manicured fingers tapping lightly on his shoulder. "Your Mama? The same woman I gave the chance to get a taste of luxury?" She scoffed. "I believe I have all right to talk about her however I damn well please!"

Chimdi could practically see fumes leave the boy's ears as he struggled with his bound hands.

Ginika, as if glorying in his struggles clucked her tongue in amusement. "I gave you everything you ever wished for Farouq. Money? Fame? The perfect life? You just had one little task but you went ahead and ruined a perfectly laid plan!" Another slap landed on the boy's face, earning him a bursted lips.

He let out a pained cough, a smile curving his lips. "I don't regret my actions one bit." He declared, before looking over at a very terrified and confused chimdi. "Dee deserves to know the kind of monster she calls Mother." Ginika snorted. "A Mother who is willing to put her daughter's life in danger for the sake of money." Farouq shook his head in disbelief. Remorse clouding his entire facial features. "I can't believe I was in cahoots with you G."

Ginika snorted again, sorting a seat on the now discarded bucket, which was turned upside down. "Did you have same thought three years ago when you took all I had to offer you?"

Chimdi was beginning to get her head around what was happening, slowly.

Farouq shook off her words as he looked pleadingly at Chimdi. "I didn't have a choice and I know I have no excuse, but I regret every decision I made that night. I hurt you," he winced. "Ella... I hurt a lot of people and I'm never going to live that down-"

Chimdi's eyes widened at the mention of Ella. "What's happening?"

Ginika rolled her eyes. "I've never met a slower child."

"The night of the 2017 ANTT award," he began cautiously. "Everything I did, kissing you, flirting with you and framing you... It was all instigated by G."

Chimdi couldn't believe her ears. No, she thought as she stared between Farouq and her Mother. They had to be playing a game or maybe, pulling a prank on her.

She didn't believe that all the trolling she had to go through, the hate comments, the sometimes physical assault from Ella's fans... Everything that had happened to her the last three years had been curtesy of her Mother.

"Mum?" She said, feeling the tears have a free course down her cheeks in minutes as she faced Ginika, waiting for her to refute the claim. And deem Farouq a liar.

But all she got was a bored expression etched on her face, staring between her and Farouq.

"Please tell me that he's lying!" She pleaded. "Mum-"

"Don't call me Mum!" Ginika finally snapped. Her voice bearing a coldness that sent chills down Chimdi's spine. "I told you not to call me that!"

Chimdi recoiled, staring at the woman in horror as she finally stood.

"Don't act like I didn't do it all for you! Everything I did." She hit her chest firmly. "I did it for you! Do you realize how much fame you gained as a result of that scandal? You weren't some local sensation anymore." She inhaled dreamingly. "It made you a fucking A-list model! That was the first time you got invited to Paris by top designers as a guest baby. I made you all that and you dare act like I handed you to the devil?"

Chimdi's fury knew no bounds. "Did you ever think of all that I was going through?" She snapped. "That was one of the hardest period of my life! Did you ever stop to think that I was living in hell?"

The elegant woman rolled her eyes. "Stop overreacting. You've gone through worse and you know it."

Chimdi went numb as everything came back to her. Everything Ginika made her do, everything she went through... Right from when she couldn't decipher right from wrong. They weren't for her best interest at all. All of them had cruel intentions woven into them one way or another.

"Mum, how could you say that!"

"I told you to stop calling me fucking Mum!" The woman screamed, startling everyone in the room.

She marched angrily to where Chimdi sat on the floor. "I told you," she gritted out, callously taking Chimdi's face into her hand. "Not to call me that! I could never birth a child like you!"

Chimdi winced in pain at the impact of her words, feeling tears cloud her eyes. She was indeed, living a nightmare.

She shook her head in denial as tears ran down her cheeks. This had to be a bad dream that she was bound to wake up from- she had to wake up from. "No, no." She whimpered, almost crawling after Ginika who let her go with a shove.

"No?" The woman glared at her with nothing but hate apparent on her face. "No?  You still think you can make choices after you killed your own Mother?"

Chimdi shrunk were she sat, feeling like a bucket of cold water had been dumped on her. Same time she heard a shocked gasp from Farouq who now seemed so insignificant in the room.

What was her Mother talking about? She knew Ginika could be twisted, cynical even, in many ways and she'd accepted such fate, but hearing her say things like that put a knife through her soul.

"What are you talking about?" She asked, her eyes following Ginika's every movement.

The livid woman continued glaring at her. "You took my sister away from me. My bestfriend, my only family," For once, Chimdi saw hurt flicker in the woman's eyes. "If only she hadn't kept you. You, the result of the darkest moment of her life. She could've gotten rid of you and every trace of your rapist of a father," Chimdi's breath hitched in her throat. "But she'd refused. She'd kept you and had died while giving birth to the seed of a fucking rapist!"

Chimdi couldn't believe her ears. She could feel her breathing become a hard task for her as the words left Ginika's lips. Every one of them. It couldn't be.

She shook her head vehemently, it couldn't be. She can't be- she couldn't even let herself finish the words.

"What?" Ginika taunted bitterly. "Are you startled? I'd kept you, even after you had taken the only person I had in my life. I gave you everything, irrespective of how you came to be and you dare complain? Do you know what it feels like to have your own twin go through the hands of a rapist, get knocked up by said rapist! But still decided to keep said child!" Ginika screamed.

"Jesus G!" Farouq screamed, as his heart broke at the sight before him. "Stop it will you! Can't you see the state that she is in?!"

However, the fuming woman glared at him. "Get him away from my presence." She ordered.

Immediately, two hefty men, the same ones Chimdi had seen abducting Farouq came and carried him away.

Ginika then turned to face Chimdi who was a writhing mess on the floor. Her breathing laboured, as she battled to breath properly.

"You see, how you feel now," she squatted just before Chimdi. "Is a tip of the iceberg compared to how Onyedika felt the night you were conceived and the same night she gave her life for you. Never forget that-"

"Dee!" Chimdi heard the distant but familiar voice as it drew near.

"Oh my God Dee!" Antni screamed in alarm, taking the skinny girl into her arms. "What have you done G?!"

The slender woman shrugged. "Just telling her the truth. She deserves to know."

"Ginika!" Antni screamed, offering soothing words to Chimdi. "How could you!?"

Standing up, Ginika turned to face Antni, an unbothered look on her face. "You came right on time. Did you bring it with you?"

Antni threw her a glare before facing Chimdi, whose breathing was returning back to normal, slowly. "Dee. Baby, stay with me okay?"

Slowly, Chimdi felt her breath even out and that was when she realized she was in the arms of Antni.

Antni, the one person she'd rejected her calls on her way to this dreadful place.

"I'm sorry." She managed to let out, tears filling her eyes as she stared at her godmother's concerned face.

For once, the older woman's face barely had any make up. An evidence that she'd practically hurried over to come to her.

Chimdi felt regret fill her entire being. She could have received the call and wouldn't be in such state. If only she'd set aside her pettiness.

"It's okay love. It's okay." Antni reassured soothingly. "I'm here now. It's okay."

"Now, for the next course!" Ginika called out, gaining their attention. "Antni, hand over the flash drive and I'll let everyone go like nothing happened."

Antni aimed another glare her way. "I told you not to hurt her Ginika!"

"I kept to my words." She smiled. "I didn't lay a single finger on her. And besides, she found me herself and for a totally different reason."

"Farouq." Antni said simply. "The press release and the victim girl. That was your work right?"

Ginika shrugged casually, making herself comfortable on the upturned bucket again. "He got what he deserved. You can ask him, he won't say he didn't see that coming."

Antni and Chimdi stared at her in disbelief.

They couldn't say that they can't believe Ginika was acting such way. There was always something dark about the woman, like a dark uncertain cloud. The things she'd done to Chimdi, her overall decisions... This part had been there all along, slowly, unfurling it's wings.

"Is that why you told her about Onyedika? I thought we talked about it?!" Antni sounded mad. But Chimdi was too weak to ask questions.

She focused on figuring out a way to leave the dreaded place first.

"I told you, she had to find out. She's no longer a child." Ginika stretched out her palm. "Where's my flash drive Antni?"

Antni stared on defiantly. "Let the kids out of here first."

The elegant woman scoffed. "I knew you would result to cheap tricks." She cocked her head at Chimdi, who still laid weak and helpless in Antni's  arm. "Is she well enough to hear me?"

"Ginika! Just let the kids go! You can't have them witnessing this!"

Chimdi was lost as they continued to argue. She didn't know what was happening. Seriously, everything had been like a nightmare and she didn't know what the next revelation would be.

Ginika smiled cynically. "Chimdi." She called. "Since dear Aunty Antni won't do things my way, why don't you tell her to hand over what she has, while I'm asking nicely?"

Chimdi, feeling strong enough, sat up. Glancing between Antni and Ginika in utter confusion.

"What's going on?"

Antni smiled, shaking her head dismissively. "Nothing Dee." She turned to Ginika. "Let the kids go for Christ sake!"

Ginika shook her head, a new sadistic humor lighting up her eyes. "I warned you. Get him inside."

Immediately, Chimdi witnessed, in utter horror as an equally bound TJ was dragged in. She let out a sob at the sight of him, with a cut across his cheeks which she guessed was the result of the shattered glass in the car moments ago.

"TJ!" She let out. Feeling every shade of horrible as he offered her a warm smile.

She couldn't help but put the blame on herself. Everything was all on her. TJ being here, Jiki and Omoshola too. If only she'd listened to them. If only she'd just listened...

"Hey," she heard TJ's reassuring voice. "I'm okay. Don't cry."

"Awwwn," Ginika cooed amusedly before laughing. "As much as I'd love to see you two get cosy and cheesy, time's not on my side."

"Ginika!" Antni almost screamed. "Please, let's not do this. Send the kids home."

"I warned you Antni. Hand over my flash drive."

Antni shook her head. "I can't."

Chimdi and TJ stared at Antni in confusion. "What flashdrive Antni?

The slender woman smiled. "Hand over the flash drive Antni or risk letting this kids know it's content."

"G please. Let's not do this," she briefly glanced at Chimdi. "She's been hurt alot already."

"And I'm suggesting we stop her from getting hurt by doing this peacefully."

"Ginika..." Antni warned.

"What the hell is going on?" TJ had to ask.

"I've said it a lot, but still, I warned you."        A sweet smile appeared on Ginika's face as she looked at TJ. "Would you like to know the content of the precious flashdrive? I'm not sure you'd want to be with your sweet little girl friend after learning the truth."

"Ginika please. Let's be reasonable." Antni pleaded further.

"That was me being reasonable when I asked nicely Antni." Ginika snapped, before turning to face a confused TJ and then Chimdi. "Has Chimdi ever told you all about her nightmares."

Suddenly, Chimdi went still.

With just a click, I'll make your life a living hell. Those words. Words that had reduced her into docility several times.

She couldn't believe she was going to relive everything. She shook her head. "No no, please. Mum no."

The words left her mouth before she could stop it. And before she could take it back, Ginika's glare had hardened.

"All about the filthy things she did?"

Shutting her eyes, Chimdi willed everything to go away.

Just pure and young. What I need.

No no! She couldn't shake them off as Ginika's voice filled her ears, her senses.

"She would act all innocent and pure. But she'd done worse dear," Ginika clicked her tongue. "Some bad things that are irrevocable."

I made you, I decide what to do with you!

Chimdi couldn't control them. Those words, those darn incidents... They came overflowing in her memory like a broken tap.

"No please! No!!" She screamed, same time she heard TJ shout her name in alarm. "Stop please."

"Ginika! I'm begging in the name of God." Chimdi heard Antni's voice plead, on her behalf.

"Has she?" Ginika continued to taunt. "Our little sex doll. It's a wonder she didn't break,  ehn kitten?"

"Ginika! Please for the love of God, there's no flashdrive!! It's been destroyed!"

"Dee! Babe?!"

All Chimdi could hear was a cacophony of sound as she was steeped in what seemed like infinite pain. Her chest began constricting again, her head feeling so light her vision was becoming wary.

Now spread for me.

Chimdi was dragged into oblivion.

__

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.4K 2.6K 39
What is your spec? I mean those qualities you desire your future partner to possess? Definitely not being way below in the social ladder right? Espec...
126K 12.8K 36
As I drifted into my own land of dreams, I was slightly pulled back by a sound coming from the door. I didn't pay close attention and was unsure so I...
34K 7K 47
Started- May 07 2020 Completed- July 26 2020 Highest Rankings #1 in lekki (4/08/2020) #1 naija stars (5/08/2020) #5 in secondary school(17/07/2020) #...
73.6K 16K 31
Tiana Dakoba isn't who everyone thought she was. To everyone, the mere sight of her oozed confidence and pride. She was the "It" girl. But no one kne...