The Flames of Elisira

By JessSolanki

All her life seventeen year old Seraphina has lived in the village of Copperfin in Elisira, but she wants mor... More

Chapter 1 - Something Fishy
Chapter 2 - Dunderton
Chapter 3 - There is always light
Chapter 4 - A Whole New World
Chapter 5 - Elisira's Academy of the Meanest
Chapter 6 - A Friendship Forged
Chapter 7 - The Fire in Her
Chapter 08 - The Hollow
Chapter 9 - We Don't Judge......Or Maybe We Do
Chapter 10: So We're Famous Now?
Chapter 11 - The Meeting
Chapter 12: A Ray of Hope
Chapter 13: The Fight
Chapter 14: A Failed Attempt at Jealousy
Chapter 15: A Scar-ry Tale
Chapter 17- Birthday Wishes
Chapter 18 - New Arrival
Chapter 19- Moon and Water

Chapter 16: The Clueless Friend

31 4 15
By JessSolanki

''Seraphina, watch out!'' Someone yelled from behind her. 

Just as she turned on her heels, a blow landed on her causing her to lose her footing and fall to the ground. She clutched her side and grunted in pain from the impact.

''Get up! Get up!'' Another voice shouted from her left. ''Seraphina get your sorry behind up, now!''

The sun was setting and its bright orange rays were shining right into her eyes. Her attacker, who was still standing, came at her once again. Only this time they tried to stomp their foot down on her stomach, but she saw it coming and rolled out of the way just seconds before the impact.

''Yes!! Yes!!'' Another cheer came from her left.

''You think she will win this one?'' She heard a muscular voice from somewhere behind her.

''You can bet your abilities she will,'' another masculine voice, only deeper, replied.

Seraphina smirked at the conversation Caspian and Atlas were having behind her, before focusing her attention on her opponent. All she saw was a gust of wind and a flash of silver hair before she was punched in the gut again.

''Come on, at least give me something, you bloody misfit! A punch maybe! A kick will do too! Or are you too weak to do that?!''

Daphne Stokes appeared in her line of vision as she doubled over in pain. Her words struck a cord and fire raged inside of Seraphina.

''Sera, what are you doing?'' Hyacinth yelled. ''She will win!''

Hyacinth's word fueled her rage even more.

''Atlas is betting on her, isn't he?'' Thyra whispered to Caspian who was standing beside her and Hyacinth.

''Of course he is,'' the young mage snorted.

''Things don't look good.'' Hyacinth bit her fingers nails out of stress. ''If Daphne keeps on punching her like this, Sera will end up in the infirmary.''

Seraphina and Daphne circled each other, catching their breath and waiting for the other one to attack. Seraphina's different colored eyes flickered from left to right as she waited for the exact moment to attack.

A gust of wind blew causing hair from her already lose braid to blow around. She heard someone suck in a breath behind her, but ignored it. 

At first she thought the wind was one of Daphne's tricks, but even the other girl herself looked surprised by it.

Not wanting to waste any more time than she already had, Seraphina dug her feet in the ground, balled her hands into fists, and with a war cry she never knew she could emit, ran towards the silver haired girl.

Daphne had a similar idea in mind as she too ran towards her opponent. Both girls met halfway and managed to land a solid punch each before falling back.

Seraphina fell on her back, holding her bruised lip, cursing the other girl.

''Sera you need to finish this now!'' 

She heard Hyacinth's voice loud and clear behind her. That's when she realized how close to the circle border she had fallen. Gods, Daphne was strong.

''We should all be headed back to the castle. It is almost time for dinner now.'' Professor Ryker's voice boomed over the training grounds. ''Do you both wish to forfeit and call it a draw?''

''Hell, no!"' Seraphina yelled as she got up and dusted herself off. ''We end this, now!''

Daphne did not say a word, but at the speed she was coming towards Seraphina, gave the combat professor his answer.

''Finish it!'' Thyra whispered harshly in her ear and pushed her further inside the circle.

This time she was ready, and when Daphne swung her hand to punch her in the face, Seraphina quickly dodged it. She saw an opening, and before the other girl could do anything about it, she started raining punches on her.

Cheers and shouts erupted from behind her. And if nothing else, that gave her the adrenaline rush she needed. Yelling a yell, she had only seen come out of the drunken bastards at Varog's favorite whore house, she lifted Daphne by the shoulders, heaved her high and threw her across the ground, right outside the chalk circle Ryker had drawn.

Silence reigned around the training ground as every gaze was focused on Daphne's crumpled up form on the ground. They all waited with bated breath. The only sound heard was Seraphina's heavy breathing as she gasped for air.

Ryker cautiously made his way to where Daphne was thrown. He held is hand up, signaling everyone to stand still. Seraphina inched closer to her friends. Her heart beating faster and faster by the second as she waited for the professor's word.

Surely she hadn't killed her. She was not that strong, she couldn't kill someone like Daphne. But then again, why wasn't the girl moving?

She's not dead.

A voice in her head said. The very same voice she had heard before. Only this was the first time it had spoken to her since her arrival at the academy a month ago.

Seraphina whipped her head around to look for the owner of the voice, but found Atlas standing directly behind her. His form dangerously close to her. His jaw and fists were clenched, like he was ready to protect her from any harm.

She fought back the shiver that run up her spine when their eyes met and quickly looked away.

''She's not dead.'' He repeated the same words as the voice inside her head.

''I never thought she was.'' She replied monotonously.

''Your heartrate states otherwise.''

And even though she was not facing him, Seraphina betted on Daphne's life that the arrogant, pompous prick was smirking. She chose to not say anything more and ignored him as she waited for professor Ryker, who seemed to be taking longer than necessary.

After what seemed like an eternity, he lifted the girl in his arms and turned to face the class. ''She is alive. Although she has a few broken ribs.'' He then faced Seraphina. ''You did quite a number on her, Ms. Fleming.''

Everyone waited for the professor to take Daphne to the infirmary. As soon as he was out of sight the chattering and the whispering began.

''Did you see?'' someone close to them whispered.

''Did you see what she did to her?''

''She almost killed her.'' Someone else said.

All eyes were on her. Everyone pointed at and talked about her. Her heart started beating even faster than before. Her ears were ringing, mixed with all the whispers and chatters.

Thyra however, who over time had gotten used to the whispering and pointing, grabbed her hand and pulled her away. Hyacinth and the boys followed closely.

''Trust Daphne to make you look like the bad guy. As if she wasn't laying it on you for the past half hour or so,'' she grumbled.

''You really had us there in the first half Seraphina,'' Caspian chimed in. ''We thought you'd lose.''

''Not me.'' Atlas quickly added. ''I knew you'd win.''

''Umm, thanks, I guess,'' she said as they made their way up to their dorms.

''Are you sure you will be okay?'' Atlas stopped her and pointed at her bruised lip. ''Maybe I can help?'' he then smirked.

Seraphina noticed his eyes sparkling with mischief and scoffed. ''No thanks. Hyacinth has herbs stashed around the room. She'll sort me out.''

''As you wish. I'll see you at dinner,'' and both the boys disappeared around the corner.

''What was that all about?'' Thyra asked as the three girls walked in to their room, making sure to lock the door behind them.

''Beats me.'' Seraphina shook her head. ''Just weeks ago he was ignoring me like a plague and now he's concerned for me?'' she snorted.

''Have you ever thought that maybe he, you know....uh....maybe he fancies you?''

Hyacinth decided she had had enough of the tension between her friend and Atlas and thought to just say it out upfront. Thyra's eyes widened in horror as she glared at her friend from her bed and shook her head at her.

Over the course of the one month that Seraphina had been here, and watching her interactions with Atlas during that time, Thyra had come to a conclusion of what her friend meant to the werewolf prince.

Although she was not sure about it at first. She had spent most of her time in the library going through all the books she could find on werewolves and their behaviors, after which she studied Atlas carefully. When she was completely sure of it, she had pulled Hyacinth aside last week and let her in on her research and findings.

''Oh gods!'' the blonde girl had shouted in glee. ''Are you sure?''

''More than sure,'' she had said. ''The next time we are all together, watch him closely.''

Seraphina, who was clueless about the whole thing, had continued adjusting to her life at the academy. She practiced on her abilities every time they had a free period. She had even started to pay more attention to her combat classes, hence the reason she was able to defeat Daphne today in their mock duel, even though she had had her fair share of beatings.

''He likes me?!'' she scoffed again and winced from the pain on her lower lip. ''Have you completely lost it?!"'

''Sera, I'm just saying maybe he-''

''Maybe he nothing, Hyacinth!" She raised her hand and stopped the poor girl from talking. This time ignoring the pain. ''This is Atlas Van Volkenburg you're talking about. He doesn't fancy me. He is just trying to mess with me. I have seen how he ogles other girls and flirts with them. That is not a type of person to fancy!''

''But-''

''Besides, I have better things to do instead of worry about who likes me and does not.''

''And yet you see him flirt with and ogle other girls.'' Thyra grumbled.

Seraphina huffed in annoyance, grabbed her clothes and walked in to their shared bathroom, slamming the door shut.

''Must you always have the final say?'' Hyacinth shook her head.

''Must you always not?'' the other girl cocked an eyebrow at her.

***

After freshening up, the three girls went down for dinner at the grand hall, each one of them kept to themselves, until Seraphina finally spoke up.

''I'm going to do it today.''

''What?'' Hyacinth immediately asked, thanking the gods that at least someone had talked. The silence between them was killing her.

''I'm going ask Atlas about his trip with Ms. Greeves and Ryker.''

''You've been saying that for weeks now, and yet every time you get close to saying it, you cower away,'' Thyra said blatantly.

''She's right you know.'' Hyacinth pursed her lips and nodded. ''You do cower away.''

Seraphina stopped in her tracks and turned to glare at her friends. ''I'm not a coward!''

''I didn't say you were.'' Thyra gave her a bored look . ''Look, I don't know what it is that makes you give up at the last minute, but don't let it affect you today.''

''She's right.'' Hyacinth added. ''I mean, what's the worst that could happen?''

''I mean, I could ask Professor Syrana or Ryker now that they're back, but I can bet my best cloak they will not give me what I want.''

''But Atlas will.'' Thyra smirked and nodded suggestively. Hyacinth chuckled as she quickly caught on to the other girls' meaning. Seraphina still remained clueless.

''Yes, yes he will.'' She looked at her friends with determination. ''Tonight I will get what I want.''

''Oh yes, you will.'' Thyra could no longer hide the grin on her face. Hyacinth nudged her in the ribs but even she was failing to holding in her laughter.

''Did you really have to?'' the blonde girl whispered to her as their clueless friend walked ahead of them, determination in her steps.

''Oh come on, she practically handed it to me on a silver platter. Did you seriously expect me to just drop it?''

''Okay fine, I get the gist,'' Hyacinth rolled her eyes playfully. ''But I seriously hope she manages to get something out of him.''

Thyra's eyebrow quirked up again and she smirked at her other friend now. ''Really?''

''Stop it, will you?!' Hyacinth punched her arm. ''You know that's not how I meant it!"

''Okay fine, it's getting old anyways.''

''You know, I'm worried about Sera,'' Hyacinth said. ''I think Atlas makes her feel some type of way.''

''I think so too.'' Thyra hummed in agreement. ''But she is scared. Especially after what happened with Timmy.''

''It's Timothy.''

''Who cares, he is old news anyway.''

''One can only imagine how Atlas is coping,'' Hyacinth said softly as she eyed the werewolf prince on their table.

''That's Caspian's problem not ours. Now let's go, I'm starving.''

As they two girls approached their table, the other three had already started on their meals.

''What took you both so long?'' Seraphina took a bite out of her bread. ''I thought you were right behind me.''

''There were too many people.''

''Thyra, we came late as usual.'' Seraphina looked around just to confirm. '' The hall is half empty.''

''Half full if you ask me.'' she replied flatly.

''Gods, should have known you'd say something like that.''

The other girl simply smirked and followed Hyacinth to get their food.

''So, how are you coping with the all the whispers and rumors?'' Caspian asked Seraphina.

''Rumors? What rumors?'' She looked shocked. She knew about the whispers but now there were rumors too?

''You haven't heard?'' Atlas looked at her in concern. If it were up to him, he would have silenced every single person who dared to speak ill of her, but sadly, killing was not an option here at the academy.

''Obviously not!'' Seraphina snapped at him. She immediately realized how rude she sounded and apologized. ''Sorry.'' She mumbled quietly, but Atlas heard her loud and clear.

''So rumor has it- '' Caspian began, ''- that you had every intention of killing Daphne and that you held back until the last moment to make a show of it.''

''WHAT!" her hand hit the table hard, causing the knives and forks to rattle. ''That is absurd! I had no such intention!''

''Relax, okay. We know.'' Atlas said, trying to calm her down as well as his wolf who was up and snarling. They didn't like seeing her this agitated and angry.

''Sera!'' Hyacinth put her plate down and immediately put a hand on her friends' shoulder. ''Calm down, look.'' She pointed down at her other hand. Small flames of fire had already begun to form around her fingertips.

''You're not helping your case by blasting out like this.'' Thyra joined them. ''You'll simply add fuel to the already raging fire. Look around you, people are watching.''

Caspian smirked at Thyra's obvious play of the words and winked at her when their eyes met. She simply scoffed and looked away.

Seraphina sighed deeply and relaxed a little. The flames on her fingertips died and the others at the table relaxed too. ''Who started these rumors?''

''My best guess is Ilia or Marina,'' Caspian mused and glanced at Atlas.

''I will handle Marina. You just don't react, okay?'' he looked at Seraphina. He was really tempted to grab her hand and hold her close. To talk to her, to tell her that as long as he was there, no one would be able to touch a hair on her head, but he held back, and gods did it take a lot of willpower for him to do so.

She was not ready yet. She was still figuring her life out and he would not dump this on her. At least not now.

To his surprise she actually agreed to what he said and simply nodded. ''Thank you.''

''My pleasure,'' he smiled at her. Not smirk, but actually smiled. ''Now, eat.''

''You don't have to tell me that twice,'' she grinned at him and bit into her meat, trying to suppress the shiver she felt run through her when he said it like that.

Caspian, Thyra and Hyacinth all exchanged gleeful glances. The fact that these two actually agreed on something was progress.

How long that would last, only the gods knew.

***

There you have it!

Hope you guys liked the chapter.

Please vote and leave your comments in the section below.

-Jessica.S

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.2K 1.5K 33
"She was the spark of the revolution, and chasing embers is impossible once the fire begins to burn." - For all of her life, Ember Matthew's horizons...
4.2K 312 30
"Let them come," he growled to his warriors. "You may try to go against the tide, but in the end, the tide is rising...I am the tide, and I will be y...
62.8K 1.8K 59
All her life, Seraphina has been hidden away in the enchanted forest with her guardian, Calla. The result of a secret relationship between the daught...
222K 7.4K 23
Canthopia, it's a world where every single person has a power. The people acquire these powers only after they turn 19 and after. But sometimes, in s...