OVERCAST ▕⃝⃤ Regulus Black

By lovettvalley

The sun watched Phoibe Evadine by day but at nightfall the moon learnt all of her secrets. And the one she wa... More

- - - - ࿐໋₊ CAST LIST
~PART ONE ~
Chapter One - THE LESTRANGE MANOR
Chapter Two - GUILTY
Chapter Three - NOT FUN
Chapter Four - THE FRONT PAGE
Chapter Five - KISS WITH A FIST
Chapter Six - THE INVITATION
Chapter Eight - THE WEDDING
Chapter Nine - THE RECEPTION
Chapter Ten - THE MONA LISA
Chapter Eleven - I DARE YOU
Chapter Twelve - RUN
Chapter Thirteen - REGGIE
Chapter Fourteen - DON'T LOOK
Chapter Fifteen - TOO CURIOUS
Chapter Sixteen - MAYBE
Chapter Seventeen - HYPOTHETICALLY
Chapter Eighteen - THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS
Chapter Nineteen - IT WAS NEVER HATE
Chapter Twenty - FRIENDS
Chapter Twenty One - DISTRACTED
Chapter Twenty Two - AMORTENTIA AND THE TRUTH

Chapter Seven - TRUCE

1.5K 62 104
By lovettvalley

*✮ . . ° ☆ . °¸ . • ✮ . • °:. ₊ ° . ☆ . . ° .•

࿐໋₊Chapter Seven ₊˚.༄
TRUCE

song guide ♬ queen ~ shawn mendes

*✮ .. ° ☆ . °¸ . • ✮ . • °:. ₊ ° . ☆ .  . ° .•

Regulus Black was beyond frustrated sitting at the desk of his temporary chambers in the Lestrange Manor. He was exasperated because he could not figure out how to mend the silly Muggle device he had broken by accident when scaring Phoibe Evadine in her precious meadow a few days before. Normally, Regulus would not have cared about breaking such a thing but recognising his brothers initials carved into the plastic he had collected the pieces in an attempt to repair it. It was a hopeless attempt however because Regulus had not a clue on earth what any of the fractured pieces did. If he was able to use his wand he would have simply cast a repairing charm but he would not be allowed to use magic for another two weeks until entering the grounds of Hogwarts for a new school year.

If only he was of age.

If he was able to use magic outside of school Regulus liked to believe a lot of his problems would disappear. Though he was reminded that would not be the case as he stared at his hands. He was sure his punishments would turn harsher when he would finally have a means to defend himself, just so his mother could establish power of him once more. Regulus' knuckles were almost healed though, he could not say the same for Kreacher's injuries.

Despite it being almost a week since he had hurt the elf, Kreacher's wounds had not been improving much, even with the healing potion Regulus and Pandora had brewed together and given him.

And then his thoughts fell to Phoibe Evadine. He had always been quite good at potions, but never as talented as her, in fact she seemed to be rather exceptional at everything which frustrated Regulus to no end. It seemed hardly fair that academics came so naturally to her. He supposed that was a perk of being a know it all Ravenclaw, as annoying as they were at least they possessed knowledge.

Maybe he had done something wrong when brewing the potion that Phoibe could have spotted? Regulus pushed the thought far away. He could not be thinking of Phoibe Evadine when he had to repair his brother's... Well... Whatever Muggle contraption he was looking at. But how?

Three knocks on his door sounded and Regulus scrambled to hide the broken item before it swung open. He hid his displeasure well as his mother entered the room.

"I think it's time you and I had a discussion." She stated.

"About what mother?" He asked. Her tone had been calm and not as tight as usual which Regulus found rare.

"I want to tell you that there is hope for you yet."

His eyebrows furrowed as she moved closer to stand by his desk.

"I thought Bellatrix may have been right about you. That you were weak and worthless trying to spare the creature, that stupid house elf."

Regulus bit his tongue surpressing his emerging disagreement.

"But you've proved yourself in a different way. You have clearly been thinking about the future of this family."

"I have..." It came out as a half question half statement in his confusion of whatever his mother seemed to be hinting at.

"Courting Miss Evadine was a wise decision. Perfectly strategic. Her father will be running for Minister himself soon which you must be aware of. And to be connected to a family with such influence over the Ministry would be very beneficial to us."

"Right." Regulus agreed. Did his mother really think so much about rising up the ranks of the wizarding social ladder in her free time? Apparently so, and she had assumed her son to be doing the same.

"I suppose what I am trying to say is that you are not turning into a disappointment like your brother." She placed a hand to his shoulder that was clearly a gesture to show some kind of affection.

Sadly, it had felt foreign to him. He had craved some kind of approval from her for so long.

"I am satisfied that you are thinking seriously about our family and your place in this world." She continued. And just as quickly as the contact had been made her hand disappeared back to her side as she continued back to the doorway of his chambers before stopping one last time.

"Treat Miss Evadine with respect, capture her to be yours and you may still salvage some pride yet." Walburga said before leaving him alone.

Regulus blinked a few times. Had that really just happened? All this time, all it had taken for his mother to show any kind of contentment towards him in recent years had been to falsely declare he was courting a high society member's daughter?

A sickness settled into his stomach. Would it really be right to continue such a charade to his mother with out informing Phoibe herself? Regulus knew he could please his mother by lying about courting the young witch. After all, the first few months of courting in pure blood society were tedious slow, and formal but, knowing he would have to eventually bring Phoibe to family diners and occasions, he knew the truth would come to light quickly.

Unless he could actually get her to play along?

No the idea was ridiculous. Besides, even if he did find her unpleasant and loud he figured nobody deserved to be forced to endure his parents.

But maybe if she was already in attendance of the Lestrange wedding she would be open to calling a truce and pretending to like him just for a little while? If she was already being forced to be around his parents then he might as well take the opportunity to make his mother... Happy was not the fitting word.

Appeased. Yes that suited a little better. The word happy seemed a little too exaggerating.

But how could he get Phoibe to agree to such a thing? It was no secret she held particular type of distain for him.

And then an even sicker feeling settled into his stomach.

He would have to talk to her.

⭒⭒⭒

Regulus Black ventured out that afternoon knowing exactly where Phoibe Evadine would be in her beloved meadow. He was unsurprised to find her tending to the rose bush, that did not look in good shape, and that he had accidentally fell into with her a few days before. Well accidentally was not quite the truth... Regulus thought to himself. She was the one who had punched him causing Regulus to trip. He unintentionally took her down in his tumble. So really it was her fault. If she had never have punched him her little rose bush would have never looked as awful as it did now.

Regulus wondered why she even bothered to care for it still with its branches all askew and barely any undamaged petal in sight. Still, she seemed cheerful to do so all the same, even if it was a lost cause. After all, she was smiling, a sight that made the young wizard a little uncomfortable. He often thought if Phoibe Evadine ever directed a smile at him he would combust out of awkwardness. Because truly, why would she ever show her irritatingly straight teeth in his direction? He had come to learn in the years that she had spent flirting Peyton Greengrass that Phoibe would spare the blonde boy a kind smile that belonged to no other. It seemed deceitful to Regulus to save one particular expression for one particular person. Why couldn't she smile at everyone that way rather than concealing it most of the time, only to be worn at certain moments?

The soft breeze tugged lightly at the ends of Phoibe's hair causing it to rise and fall like the waves against the shore and previous memories of it lapped Regulus' mind. He had observed that Phoibe had a habit of combing through her long brown hair when speaking to Peyton Greengrass too, as if she was constantly primping herself to look better for him. Though Regulus wondered if it was some kind of trick to get a wizard to want to run his fingers through her locks. He had seen her do it so many times that he was curious about how it felt. It was just so impractically long and Regulus thought the best idea would be for her to get a hair cut. It was the only solution. Then he would not be forced to stare at her delicate hands as they raked through the chestnut strands almost everyday at Hogwarts, especially when he was forced to sit behind her in transfiguration.

Ah yes she was unbearable in that class. Always talking, always raising her hand a little to high. It was so clear she was trying hard for the approval of her teachers. Regulus hated it, how she spoke and how people clung to her every word, even if her theories and opinions were wildly intriguing and thoughtful. Truthfully, Regulus had never debated certain subjects with himself before until she had shed light on them in class.

So maybe she was offering a lot intellectually, but so could he, yet no one dared listened to his thoughts apart from Proffesor Flitwick perhaps as Regulus had always been a favourite for charms. But it was not like Phoibe would ever listen to what he had to say. She probably thought Regulus' only opinions consisted of the demise of Muggleborns which had once been true. But then his brother had left, and he started to read all the Muggle books Sirius had abandoned in attempt to feel close to him again.

Regulus was offered a new world perspective he had not considered before. He wanted to know if Phoibe shared his opinions too after spotting her reading a lot of the same tales at breakfast in the Great Hall most mornings.

But that did not mean Regulus could bare her still. No it meant quite the opposite.

Her smile was irritating, her hair was irritating, her words were irritating.

Every single part of Phoibe Evadine was infuriating.

Maybe he should not confront her now. Regulus thought as he made a move to turn back but snapped a twig in the process which caught the attention of the brunette.

"Who's there?" She stood up and when Phoibe received no response she decided to abandon the rose bush pulling out her wand cautiously. She was getting closer to where he was hiding behind the thick oak tree and it would not shield his presence for much longer.

Intending to give himself up, he stepped forward breaking another thin fallen branch though not coming into sight completely yet.

"If- if you come any closer I'll hex you!" Phoibe pointed her wand in his direction her arm shaking slightly.

"And what get expelled for using magic outside of school? Are you sure your even in Ravenclaw Roses?" Regulus fully revealed himself.

"Didn't I tell you not to sneak up on young witches!" Phoibe exclaimed and though her voice sounded confident her face flushed and the grip on her wand loosened momentarily. With her being caught off guard, Regulus leaned forward plucking it from her hands.

"Hey give that back!" She lunged forward and the boy easily dodged with his quick seeker reflexes. He slipped the wand into the inside of his waist coat. She attempted to grasp it a few more times but Regulus was too fast.

"I just want to talk and then I'll give you back your wand and leave you be."

Phoibe sighed feeling defeated giving in to his request crossing her arms. "What do you want?"

"I want to call a truce."

"What?" Phoibe almost laughed at the prospect.

"I know you don't want me to be your escort to the wedding, believe me I'm not thrilled about it either- "

"Excuse me?"

"Incase you haven't noticed your presence isn't actually desirable for me."

"Likewise." Phoibe gritted.

"Look all I'm asking is for civility for one day. The whole wedding will be a lot less painful if we're not at each others throats." Regulus explained.

"You have a lot of nerve. Why on earth would I ever want to make you feel more comfortable?" Phoibe scorned.

"It would ease the tension between you and your parents, as well as mine. My mother is very determined to see us together." Regulus replied honestly.

She looked caught off guard by his truthfulness. Silence elapsed them for a few moments.

"I'll only agree to this ridiculous request if you tell me how you hurt your hands." She finally spoke.

Regulus self consciously drew them behind his back out of sight. "Why do you care?"

"I don't I'm just curious."

"Curiousity killed the cat." He warned

"That's a Muggle saying is it not?"

Regulus chose not to acknowledge her statement.

"Just tell me what happened and I will be the best fake date you could ever wish for. I will have to take regular vomiting breaks though for obvious reasons as your close proximity will plague me."

She looked as though she was expecting him make a retort but none came.

"I'm not telling you Evadine." Regulus said simply instead as he shook his head. The flashes of the pain he caused Kreacher unwillingly entered his mind. He already hated himself for it and did not need to give Phoibe yet another reason to hate him too.

"Well I don't give up easily. So you're going to tell me eventually."

"Yes I've noticed how annoyingly stubborn you are." He said dryly. "Maybe that's why little Peyton Greengrass decided he didn't like you anymore."

Silence once more.

It felt lethal after a minute or so, unbearable even. Regulus Black hated it when Phoibe Evadine did talk, she was overdramatic, animated and loud so he had not anticipated the quietness of the meadow to be worse.

Maybe it was because he was forced to look at her and as he awaited some kind of response he was also forced to take in everything about her he often tried to distract himself from.

Regulus expected her to bite back. Why hadn't she punched him or cursed him out with words like their usual volley of tense conversation had caused so far? Was that water gathering into her silvery eyes clouding them to be grey?

"Never talk to me again. And good luck explaining to your mother why I won't be coming to the wedding." Phoibe said nothing else, she did nothing else except turn away briskly starting to leave the meadow.

Regulus wanted to call out, to tell her to stop and that maybe he was even... Sorry? But no words came. He watched her figure fade into the distance.

Phoibe had not even cared that she left her wand behind in his waistcoat still.

⭒⭒⭒

Regulus Black sat at his desk for the second time that day pieces of a broken Muggle contraption scattered in front of him only this time he had figured out what to do with them.

It was a long shot but he figured the only person he could entrust with repairing such a device who had the means to do so was his cousin Andromeda. He had spent a few years being jealous of her family connection with Sirius that had only gotten stronger over the years as his one started with his brother started to dissipate. Regulus had also spent a few years utterly repulsed by her decision to marry the Muggle born wizard, Ted Tonks. Finally, he had spent a few years out of contact with her since then.

Regulus knew she would mostly likely burst into hysterics at his request, and the fact that he was even requesting for a Muggle item to be repaired at all. He hoped the mention of Sirius would sway her into helping him as he signed his parchment. The young wizard then gathered up the pieces of the Muggle contraption wrapping them up into a parcel before attached the letter. Unclasping the catch on his owls cage it exited, the soaring creature ruffled and stretched out its feathers to prepare for the journey a head. The jet black owl took the string of the parcel between its talons lifting it into the air as his flapped its wings escaping the manor through the open window.

Now Regulus would just have to wait for a reply.

He stood deciding to go find Pandora in the manor. He had been feeling guilty about still possessing Phoibe Evadine's wand and decided it would be best to give it to the blonde to return it to her. He found Pandora in the library accompanied by a cup of tea.

"You don't happen to have another mug?" Regulus had never been a fan of drinking tea but since he had met Pandora she had encouraged the habit. Eventually, he surrendered to the drink as Pandora knew how to make it just right. However, it could never replace a cup of warm coffee.

"I do actually." She dragged out a small table from beside her that rested a tea tray on its top. She began pouring the drink for him before handing him the hot mug. "I had a feeling you'd join me."

"Is Kreacher doing any better?" He asked. Regulus had refrained from seeing the elf too often fearing that if he did he would suffer a worse fate.

"Not much difference I'm afraid." She said apologetically and Regulus frowned.

Pandora reached out her hand placing it over his comfortingly. As much as he wanted to pull away not being used to such affection he simply smiled back at her. He knew Pandora was tactile and did not want to hurt her feelings especially when she was trying to make him feel better. She patted his hand once more before letting go.

"I've thought about taking him to St Mungo's." Regulus spoke. "But I don't think I could get away with flooing to London."

"Yes your mother is very strict." Pandora added. "But I'm sure Kreacher will recover soon enough."

"Not fast enough though."

"You care so much for him." She commented but not in a way that made Regulus feel wrong about it like his mother had done on previous occasions. Pandora made it sound like a compliment and something to be proud of which he appreciated.

"Well he was kind of my first friend..." Regulus murmured a little embarrassed. "He knows all my secrets, and exactly how my family works, he just understands me."

"That's adorable." Pandora gushed. "I'm really sure he will be better soon you are taking good care of him."

"Well I couldn't do it with out you so thank you." Regulus said gratefully.

"Maybe you could do something for me if you're feeling so grateful?"

"Is Pandora Lestrange asking me for a favour?"

"Yes though I'm not sure you'll like it..."

"What is it?" He questioned suspiciously. Pandora was usually too polite to ask anything of anyone.

"Well I was thinking maybe if you were a little nicer to Phoibe she might- "

"Nope." He cut her off.

"Reg don't be so sour." Pandora's lips turned down.

"I'm not. She wants nothing to do with me and I want nothing to do with her."

"But maybe if you gave her a chance?"

"Like she would take it." Regulus rolled his eyes. "Besides I really don't think she'll even be coming to the wedding at this rate and it's not like we'll have to spend time together at hogwarts-"

"What do you mean?"

It was then that the topaz at the end of Phoibe Evadine's wand caught in the daylight peaking out from the inside of Regulus' waistcoat. Pandora recognised the gem.

"What did you do?"

"Why do I have to have done something? Why can't it have been little Miss Perfect's fault?" Regulus trying to distance himself from the topic dropped his head back to look at the ceiling.

"Because Phoibe would never trust you with something as simple as a flobber worm let alone her wand." The young witch got up and reached over to pull it from his waistcoat. "So what did you do?" She dangled Phoibe's wand into his face and his attention landed on her once more.

"Nothing I just took it to make her listen to me and then we argued and then she stormed off."

"That's it?" Pandora questioned sensing there was a little more to the story.

"And... She may or may not have left crying..."

"What did you say!" The blonde's mouth dropped open.

"I just said that she was annoying and that's probably why Greengrass didn't like her anymore."

"Oh Reg that was not the right thing to say to her at all..." Pandora sighed. Regulus was saddened to find she held a little disappointment in her features as she sunk back into her own chair.

"Why not? It's not my fault he never wrote her back after they kissed." The information had escaped his mouth more bitterly than he intended.

"Peyton did actually, he told her he liked her and everything. And then she found out he kissed Talia Abbot a few days after his confession. Estelle told me about it." The blonde explained clearly feeling bad for her best friend.

"Well that makes him the twat not me." Regulus stated. "But I wouldn't have said it if I had known Pan, I'm not that cruel."

"Yes well now Phoibe probably thinks you are."

"That's not my fault."

"I know." Pandora agreed letting out another deep breath. "I just know that if she got to know you she wouldn't hate you at all."

Something about this statement warmed Regulus from the inside and he allowed a smile to grace his lips.

Soon after the comment the subject of conversation changed as they decided to talk about the the oncoming school year and its possibilities.

An hour later he had bid Pandora goodbye ready to retire to his own chambers. As he trailed along the echoing halls it was not hard to hear the hisses and hushed voices from a room at the end of the walkway. Regulus crept forward quietly.

"Walburga, you cannot entertain these ideas any longer." He made out his mother and father through the crack in the door that was left ajar.

"I will do as I please. Need I remind you that our entire family is built from my efforts." His mother stated threateningly.

"You were not born into the House of Black." His father spat. "I am a rightful heir. You are here because this is where you were placed by your parents, into a marriage with me. I have let you play games and scheme to your heart's desire for many years but I will not let you ruin our only son any further."

Regulus chest was always pierced by statements where his parents no longer acknowledged that Sirius had once been their son too. But he supposed it was hypocritical when he barely acknowledged Sirius to be a brother either nowadays however, that was for differing reasons than his parents.

"He is my son, you have done nothing! Nothing to mould the boy into a man. He treated that elf with respect even though it is a piece of scum beneath us. I am the one who has made him stronger over the years. The one to truly instil our beliefs into him. What have you ever done? All you do is drink your time away to relive the past." Her words were cutting but true to a certain extent, Regulus' father often picked up a decanter to drown his sorrows in a if it was some kind of pensive showing him memories of the past.

"Yes well that's where I prefer to be! You were not who I wanted. When we were young I remember the only thing I liked about you was your ambition. You used to thrill me but now it has spiralled out of control..."

His father paused and Regulus could see that he was clearly considering whether to speak the next words as he leaned over his desk, head dropping down to stare at the floor.

"You can't promise our son to the Dark Lord. It is a vow you cannot come back from, that Regulus cannot come back from."

The raven haired boy's body grew numb. The only aspect he could still feel about his being was his heart begining to pump adrenaline through his body, hammering excruciatingly against his rib cage so hard he thought it may crack. A lump settled into his throat.

"Regulus will make a fine servant to the Dark Lord." Walburga declared fiercely.

His father finally managed to look up again at his mother. "He will die. This war will only become more serious and our only son will die. Then who will carry on the Black family name you care so much more for?"

"We will speak of this no longer." Walburga hissed an Regulus withdrew from his hiding spot quickly taking refuge in the open room across the hall to conceal himself once more.

His mother had pledged his alliance to the Dark Lord at fifteen with out his knowledge.

He dreaded the day when he would have to follow through with her promise.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

214K 10.2K 86
↬ in which Regulus and Rune find out that broken pieces still fit together. **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚ Academic rivals. Everyone knew they were that. The hat...
10.2K 423 30
Y/n has been best friends with the mauraders since first year, and she couldn't have asked for a better group of friends. But one day, third year, w...
5.7K 367 12
𝒐. where regulus black has a one-night stand with his best friend's crush. ━━━ ❛ if something goes terribly wrong, find me on the other si...
239K 5.9K 39
Y/N Pettigrew is abused by her parents, and all she wants is to be friends with her brother's friends. However, the Marauders seem a little too self...