Ice-Bound Promise [Wattys 202...

By JanGoesWriting

[Book Five of the "Patrons' World" series.] In the snow blasted wastes, far to the west, Únik, a woman with a... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44

33

78 12 0
By JanGoesWriting

33

Curling around the end of the mountains, they began to see signs of civilisation. Farms dotted the snow covered landscape, with wide open fields filled with cattle, sheep and goats. A road appeared, raised up to alleviate travelling through the snows, that weaved a lazy trail towards the coast and Star Harbour.

Únik had started getting used to riding, though she doubted she would ever become comfortable atop a horse. Last night, Bohyiris hadn't even had to heal her aching backside, as he had done for several nights. Ylthara had kept up steady streams of conversations with them all, but never pushed Únik to choose a side. Her, or her sister, Hatyara.

It was as though Ylthara could tell the quandary the two sisters had left Únik in. Únik appreciated that. Hatyara, despite her abrasive nature, had shown Únik what it was like to have a friend and now, Ylthara did the same. One or the other manipulated Únik, however. One lied about their intentions and nothing Ylthara had done could decisively change that question. She was friendly, but friendly people could hide their true selves.

Every morning and evening, Ylthara would take the time to meditate, holding the star-shaped pendant, until she almost collapsed in exhaustion, stating which direction Hatyara now headed. Únik had watched her every time, seeing the sadness and the pain it brought and, in recent attempts, Ylthara's hand would reach behind her neck to her brand.

"How does that work?" Still riding stiff-backed, Únik held the reins in a more natural position, now, keeping pace with Ylthara. "You sit and think for a while and know where Hatyara is. I've never heard magic like it."

"It's old magic. Lost after the last Upheaval, recovered by father after many years of searching." Looking across, Ylthara saw Únik's questioning look. "No, he didn't say everything in his last words, only that Hatyara had Ice Magic, that she would kill Vraniik and make them pay. Everything else, we found in his journals."

"This 'Ice-bound promise', though, it causes you pain, but not Hatyara." Únik saw Barsa bounding back to the line of horses upon the road, snow trapped atop his nose. She had allowed him far more free rein than usual on this part of the journey. "Or, at least, she never showed it."

Ylthara's hand rose to her neck, without thinking, and touched the brand. Her fingers flinched as though the slightest touch stung and Únik noticed the brand looked a little inflamed. She looked around, seeing Bohyiris behind, and raised an eyebrow to him. He shook his head, frowning. He could do nothing for Ylthara.

"The court mages ... adapted the magic. I am bound to Hatyara's binding, by way of the branding iron itself." Taking the chain and pendant from inside her armour, Ylthara held it before her eyes. Her fingers closed around the pendant before returning it. "My promise is to stop Hatyara from killing King Vraniik, the pain reminds me that I am failing. The closer she gets to fulfilling her promise, the more painful my brand becomes."

"That's horrific." Eyes flickering towards Ylthara's neck, Únik almost whispered to herself.

She couldn't imagine putting herself through that. Whether Ylthara had told the truth and she wanted to stop Hatyara to keep the peace, or to kill Hatyara to break that peace, causing herself pain to facilitate either seemed too extreme. Though Ylthara's connection meant she knew where Hatyara was, it seemed to make it worthwhile for the Ice-Kin Storm Mage.

Regardless, Únik had made it her goal, her promise, if you will, that she would do everything in her power to stop the sisters killing each other. It seemed pathetic in comparison. A quest to save two lives, as opposed to the fate of two nations, but it was all that Únik could do. She had no other reason to remain with Ylthara and her reduced company of warriors.

She thought about Shihiri and what the Fae thought of it all. Of course, Shihiri did not have Ylthara's side of the quarrel to base an opinion upon. The Fae girl had seemed to only care about being along for the journey. She didn't show any other reason, or care, beyond that. Would Shihiri choose a side?

The Fae had had a tempestuous relationship with Hatyara from their very first meeting, though had appeared to change towards a more friendly, amused annoyance as the days had worn on. To the point where Hatyara had moved to Shihiri for protection, instead of Únik. At the time, Únik had not thought much of that.

Shihiri was, by a great margin, far better able to protect anyone than Únik. She was a fighter, never worried about who, or what, she fought, as long as she won. Únik, on the other hand, was, and always would be, a scavenger, in so far above her head, she could almost feel herself drowning at the mere thought of fighting. Yet, now, Únik had to wonder about Hatyara's intent.

A few days before, she would have dismissed these thoughts without hesitation. Now, they turned in her mind, unable to reconcile what she knew and what she heard. She could understand Hatyara hiding her Ice-Mage abilities, up to a point, but the fact she had not confided in Únik bothered her. It came down to more questions and how much the Ice-Kin had kept to herself.

Ahead, Únik could see a loaded cart, drawn by two great, strong horses, fur falling over their hooves like cuffs upon a fancy shirt. Ylthara drew everyone to the side to allow the cart to pass and Únik saw another man, younger, sat amongst the goods, short bow in hand, arrow nocked.

"Good day. Have either of you, perchance, seen an Ice-Kin girl and a Fae companion pass this way?" Resting both hands upon her saddle, Ylthara gave both men an easy smile. "The Ice-Kin is my sister and I miss her greatly."

"Can't say as I've seen such a pair. How about you, Humbod?" Turning upon his seat, the older man addressed the one with the bow. The younger man shrugged his shoulders in reply. "I'd take that as a 'no', ladyship. There's a town, not two miles hence. Others there may have word of your sister."

"My thanks, anyway." Turning her horse to continue along the road, Ylthara paused, adjusting herself in her saddle to look back. "Have a care if you pass the mountains. A caravan came across a Snow Wyrm. All lost. There may be more of the beasts about. And a bow will do little to save you."

A grin and a wink at the younger man caused him to look at his bow and then back towards Ylthara. He gave another shrug and made a poor attempt at a salute, in thanks for the warning, as the cart trundled and rattled on its way. Soon, both cart and men fell far into the distance, their big horses carrying them at good speed.

"A town sounds good for my weary bones, Ylthara!" A woman's voice rang out from among the warriors, followed by other voices in agreement.

"Very well, we'll spend the night. You've all grown soft!" Laughing, Ylthara gave her horse a tap in the flanks and set off down the road towards the town. She looked across as Únik caught up. "As far as I can tell, we've almost caught up with Hatyara. A night in a warm bed won't lose us much time."

"Don't be so sure." Hatyara alone, Únik could see Ylthara catching her. With Shihiri by her side? Not nearly as likely. "She may surprise you."

"Everything my sister has done has surprised me." The amusement dropped from Ylthara's face. She chewed upon her lip for a second before continuing. "I'm giving you a chance. One chance to talk to her and to stop this madness. That's it. If she doesn't listen to you ..."

"You'll kill your own sister." The Ice-Kin had said as much, more than once. It seemed Ylthara tried more to convince herself than Únik. "I don't know if she'll listen to me. I don't know if you're lying to me. All I know is that, if I can help it, I won't allow anyone to die. I've seen too much of that for any lifetime."

Ylthara seemed to accept that and lapsed into silence as they continued on. Únik spoke the truth. What she didn't say was that she had seen too much death the moment her daughter's head had cracked against the table. She had seen too much when her fingers had gripped the throat of her husband. Since meeting Hatyara, and then Ylthara, there seemed a constant stream of death and she had had enough of it.

She needed to end this without bloodshed. Feeling that like she had never felt anything before, it gripped her to her very soul. She couldn't take any more death. She needed peace, as the two nations of Hagragng and Alharai needed peace and, whichever of the two sisters sought to end that peace, Únik would find a way to stop them.

-+-

The town seemed not much more than a village, compared to Shalbruk. Low, one-story houses gathered around a central square where the inhabitants had tried to create a cobbled area that saw the most use. That appeared to have happened years ago, now, as the cobbles upon the square looked worn, aged and dishevelled with many cobbles now missing, the holes filled by dirty snow.

Únik almost laughed at the thought that she now considered this town 'small'. Before setting off on this journey, she had seen only one town larger, and that by only a few houses. Since then, she had seen Shalbruk. She had seen the remains of a great city that sprawled for miles. Now, more worldly, if only by a small amount, Únik realised towns came in all sizes. As large as the inhabitants needed them to be.

Stables sat at the edge of the town and Ylthara paid the stable master for one night. With an irritated, pointed finger, the stable master indicated the town's only inn, a hundred yards away. With black-shafted spear in hand, Únik prepared to follow Ylthara and the other warriors.

"Hold up!" Laying a hand on Únik's arm, the stable master pointed towards Barsa. "They'll not take your dog. I'll take care of him, if you like. For a ... small fee. Say, five Bones?"

With a sigh, Únik reached into her money pouch, tinkling the remaining coins around with her finger until she sorted five copper coins from the rest, slapping them into the man's outstretched hand. She saw the man stow away the coins, looking at Barsa with an appraising eye.

"Barsa! Guard!" She pointed towards the horses of the party, all tied up within the stable stalls.

With a disgruntled whine, Barsa moved to the centre of the horses, turned about in a circle several times before settling down, his dark eyes watching the stable master, ears pricked. The stable master grunted, rubbing the stubble on his face before turning back to Únik. He gave a quiet chuckle, nodding to himself.

Catching up to the party, she found them streaming into the inn. Ylthara, as Únik had come to expect, allowed the others entry first, including Únik, before entering herself. Inside, the inn seemed simple, yet warm. A large fire sat at one side, thick logs blazing away, spitting flaring sparks up the stone chimney.

Únik joined the others milling about, warming hands upon the flames as they waited for Ylthara to negotiate terms for the night. Looking over, Únik saw much shaking of heads, hands waving and fingers pointing towards the group. Únik had a good idea what the problem was. Too few rooms for such a large party and, when Ylthara returned, Únik was at once proven correct.

"There's only four rooms available. You lot, divide up. Únik, you're with me." Without waiting for a response, Ylthara picked up her bags and turned towards the rear of the inn.

With all the rooms on one floor, it didn't take long to find theirs. Ylthara had taken the smallest room for herself and Únik, leaving the larger rooms for the others to share amongst themselves. Closing the door once Únik had entered, Ylthara dropped her bags to the floor and dropped onto the single bed with a sigh.

"There's only one bed?" Únik shuffled her feet by the door. After a few seconds, she leaned her spear against the wall and moved an extra foot into the room, gripping the strap of her bag. "I'm on the floor, then?"

"Don't be stupid! We can get two on here." Ylthara's hand slapped the mattress beside her, sending dust floating into the air. "We'll be fine. Besides, I can't rack with the people under my command. You sharing with me means I don't feel awful taking the whole room for myself."

"It's just I ... I'm not exactly small." Once more, her feet shuffled. She pulled the bag's strap over her head and clenched it to her body, self-conscious. "I'll sleep on the floor. It'll be fine."

"You will not! What makes you think you're too big for the bed? We can snuggle up and warm each other." Waving a hand to disperse the dust, that still lingered in the air, Ylthara then brushed her hands together, grimacing. "That's for later, anyway. We've got an hour or so before I make everyone sleep. We need a drink!"

"I'm not interested in women!" The words blurted from her mouth. Únik had remembered Shihiri's wandering hands as she had pushed coins into her dress and the look the Fae had given her. She didn't expect Ylthara making the same wicked smile.

"My, my." Standing, Ylthara looked Únik up and down and began to pout. Then a grin appeared on her face and she laughed. "Neither am I. Now that's clear, can we have a drink and sleep together as friends?"

Clapping Únik on the shoulder, Ylthara took the bag from Únik's hands, dropping it to the floor. Grabbing Únik's hand, the Ice-Kin led the way back to the common room, where the others had started trailing back after stashing their belongings in their rooms. Slapping a handful of silver Claws on the counter, Ylthara asked the innkeeper to give them drinks and to keep them coming.

It soon became clear that 'an hour or so' was the lowest estimate of how long they would drink. The entire group of warriors drank as though their lives depended upon it and, Únik had to admit after the past few days, perhaps they were right. Things became raucous, then bawdy, then angry. Several arm-wrestling matches ensued and one fight.

As her eyes forced themselves open in the morning, Únik found herself and Ylthara naked under the covers of the bed, arms and legs entwined, the Ice-Kin snoring like a sailor. Shuffling backwards, she made a quick touch between her legs which told Únik nothing. She didn't feel as though she had had sex, though she had never slept with a woman, so how that would feel, she couldn't know. She didn't feel wet, at least.

Slipping from beneath the covers, Únik gathered up her things and began to dress. She needed to  see if anywhere had any warmer clothing. She missed her furs and the clothing from Uriok, though nice and comfortable, were a little thin for this part of the world. As she dressed, she looked at her own body, realising she had lost more weight, especially around her waist, but eating little and moving a lot would do that for anyone.

With boots in hand, Únik opened the door as slow as she could, hoping that the old hinges wouldn't squeak. She heard a snort come from the bed and her head snapped around. Ylthara kicked her legs a couple of times, turned over, face down and pulled the pillow tight to her head, leaving her entire, bare back on display. The blue skin of the the Ice-Kin was not flawless, with numerous scars in sight, but she still looked magnificent.

Shaking her head, Únik slipped out of the door, tip-toeing until she reached the common area where she sat down as she put on her boots, memories of the night before flashing before her eyes and, happily, none of it as crude as her imagination had thought up. She told the innkeeper to inform Ylthara she would return and stepped out into the crisp morning air.

People were already about their business in the town, Guhugng, she remembered the innkeeper calling it, and she joined in the lines of moving people. In the cold light of day, the town seemed no larger than it had the night before, though the day's light had brought into sharp focus the decay of the place. It seemed a town on the verge of failing, with many houses boarded up and only a few shops and merchant stalls available for shopping.

Finding the only place that sold clothing, she handed over a good few silver Claws in order to purchase the best, warmest clothing they had. Good, thick leather breeches, a thick cotton shirt and a leather jacket with wool lining, collar and cuffs. Her boots did not need replacing, though she found nowhere that sold footwear, anyway. Satisfied, she turned about to return to the inn, her old Uriok-style clothes under her arm, tied with string.

Stopping, she realised she needed to check on Barsa. To make sure her hound was fine and that he had not, by complete accident, bitten the stable master. She need not have worried, even from this distance, she could see the dog standing with the horses, tail whipping back and forth as she approached.

Reaching him, she crouched down, accepting the loving attention of his tongue upon her face. She even laughed as one of his great paws lifted, planting itself square on top of her nose. Ruffling his fur on his neck and chest, she realised she no longer treated him as a working dog, but as a pet. She didn't mind that, but it would prove difficult retraining him when they returned to Tracis' Midden.

"Don't turn around." The words hissed into her ear and a knife slipped around her neck to touch cold metal against her skin.

And Barsa hadn't even warned her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.7K 3.4K 88
RUMPELSTILTSKIN RETELLING. "I challenge you to find my name, princess. Three tries." Light flickers beneath the recesses of his mask, the wooden fan...
64.8K 10.9K 122
🌟WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST 🌟WATTYS 2023 FANS CHOICE AWARDS NOMINEE 🌟WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST 🌟Editor's Pick (Reading Radar) Feb 2024 🌟 Featured Wattpa...
1.6K 74 12
A Necromancer without a soulmate A Crown Prince plagued with nightmarish visions A Mage unable to let go of the past ** Diya, the Crown Prince's b...
3.6K 331 28
[Book One of the "Patrons' World" series.] The war is over! The Three Kings found their ancient mystical weapons and defeated the Lord of Shadows. Fo...