Wake Up Call

By VictoriaAshleyAuthor

A broken girl... Twenty years old and I'd finally had enough. I couldn't take anymore, so I packed up my thin... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
Wake Up 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21

CHAPTER 19

441K 5.6K 879
By VictoriaAshleyAuthor

JACE

I awake in the middle of the night to Avery running her hands over my face.

Smiling, I sit up and grab her hands, kissing them. "What's wrong, baby?"

"Nothing," she whispers. "I just..."

"You can tell me," I whisper, while rolling her over and positioning myself between her spread legs. "Please."

She closes her eyes and lets out a small, satisfied breath, when I lean in and gently kiss her neck. "I've just been thinking about you..."

Smiling against her neck, I tangle my hands into her hair. "I like the sound of that," I whisper. "What about me?"

Wrapping her arms tightly around my neck, she hesitates a few moments, before speaking. "I keep trying to picture my life without you and every scenario without you in it, hurts like hell. I can't breathe when I think about never seeing you again. That's how I know..."

Her words trail off as I lean in and gently kiss her lips. "I'd never leave you. I can't stay for more than a few hours. I promise you that."

"I love you," she blurts out. "That's how I know I love you."

My heart stops as soon as the words leave her lips. I wasn't expecting to hurt and feel so damn good at the same time.

Cupping her face, I desperately bring her lips to mine, licking them for access. She instantly parts her lips, moaning as I kiss her deeper than I've ever kissed her before.

I've been saving this kiss for this exact moment. The moment that she saved my heart and brought me back to life.

"I love you so fucking much," I whisper against her lips. "More than you'll ever know."

"I'll try my best to know," she whispers back. "I promise, Jace."

💋 💋 💋

Avery

Sitting at the kitchen table, I can't stop smiling from the memories of last night. I have to admit; it was the best night of my entire life. Jace made sure to show me all night, just how him loving me felt.

"Jace," I whisper, looking up at him, eating his food beside me.

Jace looks up from his plate and reaches for my hand, softly running his fingers over mine and smiling. "Are you feeling okay?" he questions.

I nod my head, even though I hate to have to tell him this. "I have a new apartment," I blurt out, my heart racing. "I signed a lease, before I knew this what would happen."

Jace's eyes widen as a look of hurt crosses his once relaxed face, before turning his head away, taking a deep breath.

My heart drops as I watch him. He looks hurt.

The room is silent.

I don't know what to say. We both sit here looking down at our plates, until Jackie enters the kitchen wearing a fitted black suit.

She looks back and forth between the both of us and then leans against the counter. "Well, everyone seems a little out of it today," she mumbles. "What's going on?"

Jace gives me a weak smile before looking up at his sister and motioning for her to join us at the table. "Everything's fine." He squeezes my hand and pulls my chair closer to his. "You look nice today, Jackie. Do you have some special plans we don't know about," he questions, trying to sound excited.

He's right. She looks great. Her black suit fits her perfectly and her is hair pulled back into a tight bun, with a loose strand of hair hanging perfectly around her face. She looks very professional. She's quite beautiful.

She flashes us a huge smile and digs into her food. "I'm going job hunting today and then I have a dentist appointment. It's a start." She shoves a forkful of eggs into her mouth and then slams back her whole mug of tea. "I'm really nervous, but excited at the same time." She sits back in her seat. "I've been doing a lot of thinking and I'm ready to change my life. Joe has kept me back for so long and I haven't even experienced life yet." She looks over at Jace and reaches for his shoulder. "I can't do this without you, little brother. I really need your help." Her eyes water as her bottom lip begins to quiver.

She really does need his help. She needs it much more than I do now. Maybe me getting the apartment is perfect timing for them to repair their relationship. Jace's place is only big enough for two people and at the moment, Jackie is the one that needs him the most.

Jace wraps his arms around his sister and pulls her in close for a hug. The sight makes my eyes water. Jace is the greatest and most loving person I've ever met.

Jackie and I are both lucky to have him in our lives.

"Jackie," I say with a slight smile.

Jackie peers over Jace's shoulder and smiles back. "Yeah."

"I'm moving out today. My old room will be empty if you'd like it." I glance over at Jace and he nods his head in approval.

"I have enough money saved up that I can buy a new bed and a few other things to get me started. You should take my old room and be close to Jace." I pause. "You guys need each other."

Jackie's eyes fall down to Jace's shoulders before she pulls away and looks Jace in the eye. "I don't know. I don't want you guys to think Avery has to move just to make room for me." Her face scrunches up as a tear falls down her cheek. "I can't-"

"It's not like that. I'd let you stay no matter what," he says firmly. "I would have been perfectly fine on the couch or in Avery's room." He looks over at me and smiles. "Avery just needs to be on her own for a bit. She's been working really hard to get on her feet and now is her chance to do that. It's not a problem, Jackie."

Looking at Jackie, I suddenly get the urge to reach out and give her a hug. She feels like a big part of me now. Maybe it's because she's the biggest part of Jace. I want Jace and everything that comes with him.

I stand up from my chair, pushing it under the table, before walking over to Jackie. I look down at her and then slowly bend down and wrap my arms around her. Her hands feel stiff for a moment before she squeezes me close to her and rubs my back. "I'm so happy you're here with Jace."

Jackie grabs both of my arms and looks me in the eye. "You have no idea how happy I am to be back. Jace is the only place I've ever really felt safe at. He took care of the whole family for so long. He's the glue that holds us together." She turns her head away and squeezes my arms. "I lost that for a long time. Don't let that happen to you."

We both look over at Jace to see him staring in shock at the both of us. To be honest, I'm in shock myself. I've never really felt the need to hug anyone in my life before.

Jace has changed me. Love has changed me. The feeling scares the living crap out of me. I never wanted to feel I need someone to be happy. Or that I need someone to be close to. Now, even the thought of being out of Jace's arms breaks my heart into a million pieces.

Jace clears his throat and then stands up from the table. "Well ladies. I'll do these dishes." He kisses Jackie on the forehead. "Good luck." Then he walks over, grabs my face and presses his lips to my cheek. "Go and get ready so I can buy you a few things for this apartment of yours." He smiles and then looks down at the ground, his eyes looking sad.

I just stand there staring as Jackie walks out of the kitchen and Jace stands in front of the sink with his back toward me.

In just a few hours, I'll be on my own, in my own apartment, and with two decent jobs. No more crappy apartment or job as a stripper. I feel... normal for once and alive. More alive than I've ever felt.

"Avery."

The sound of Jace's voice breaks me from my thoughts.

I shake my head and look up. "Huh?"

He chuckles at my expression and turns off the sink. "Are you alright?" He walks over and lightly rubs my shoulders. "Are you going to get dressed or do you need another day of rest?"

I place my hands on his bare chest and take a deep breath. His skin feels so soft and warm against my bare hands. It makes me want to lose myself in him. "No." I shake my head. "No, I'm fine. I told the landlord I'd show up today with the deposit and first month's rent."

Jace runs his hands up my arms, lightly tickling me, as he smiles. "It's okay, Avery. You don't have to be upset or worried," he breathes. "At first I was sad that you're leaving, but now that I've had time for it to all sink in; I realize it's a good thing for you. We can still be together anytime we want. It's all just a part of a new beginning for you. One you've needed for so long."

I swallow hard and stifle back tears. He always has a way of making me feel as ease. "I know, but-"

"No buts," he cuts in. "Everything is going to be... perfect." He presses his lips to my forehead and then kisses all the way down to my lips. "I promise. Now go get dressed."

💋 💋 💋

An hour later, we're standing inside of a small furniture store, about twenty minutes away from Jace's place.

Jace holds my hand, while taking me around the store and showing me the various couches and beds they have on display.

The prices seem to be fairly decent for the quality they offer, but I am overwhelmed. I don't even know where to start.

"This is nice. It almost looks like ours... I mean mine." His words stop my heart as we both stand here looking at each other.

Jace coughs and pulls my arm, bringing me over to stand in front of a black leather sectional. He is right. It's almost identical to his. It's beautiful and I can't help but to want it.

"I love it." My eyes wander over the leather couch before setting on the price tag. "Thirteen hundred dollars. No, I can't." I shake my head back and forth and step away. "That's way too expensive."

Jace runs his hand over the arm of the couch and smiles, before waving one of the workers over. "I think this one is actually better than mine and you deserve better."

Me fighting him at the furniture store is no use, and he ends up paying for the things that I couldn't afford. When Jace has his mind set on things, he really doesn't give up for crap.

We arrive at my empty apartment, forty minutes later, with a 42-inch TV, a black coffee table, a glass entertainment center and little black dresser. The couch and the queen-sized bed will arrive within the next hour.

The excitement is starting to set in and I can't help but to smile.

Jace and I both look around the small apartment, checking out the rooms. The living room is complete with cream shag carpet, burgundy shades and black windowsills and trim. It's the perfect size to fit all my new furniture in it. It actually feels like a home. Especially with Jace standing next to me.

Jace runs his hand along the freshly painted wall and smiles. "This place is perfect. I really like it." He pulls up the shade and looks out the window. "I might even spend most of my time here. It's... cozy."

I laugh and reach for Jace's hand. It feels good to see that Jace approves of my new place. "I really like it here. It seems peaceful. It's like having my own place for the very first time. The last apartment never felt like home." I run my hand over Jace's chest and grin. "I'm just not so sure I should allow boys into my first place."

Jace chuckles as he grips my hips and hoists me off the ground. "I'm not just any boy." He smirks. "At least, I'd like to not think so."

I reach out and cup Jace's face, the same way he always cups mine. "Trust me. You're not just any boy." I roughly press my lips against his, desperate to get a taste of his sweet mouth. Everything about Jace is sweet. "You're the boy."

He squeezes me tightly, while walking us into the kitchen, stopping in front of the stove, before setting me down on top of it. Our lips don't separate as he wraps my legs around his waist, pressing his crotch into my inner thigh. It sends chills all through my heated body and makes me want to rip his clothing off right here.

He has a way of turning me on, I can't even begin to explain.

Jace roughly bites my lip, while pulling my jacket off and tossing it down onto the white linoleum flooring. Things are getting heated and I want nothing more than to be with him. "I want-"

We both stop and look up in shock as Jackie comes strolling into the kitchen holding a huge box. She just eyes us both, with raised eyebrows and laughs. "Well... a little help."

Jace snaps out of the stare and playfully runs his hand through his hair. "Of course. Sorry," he says. He gives me an apologetic smile before pulling away from me and grabbing the box from Jackie's arms. "How did you know where Avery's apartment was? Did you have any luck on the job search?" he questions. "And what's all of this stuff?"

Jackie walks over and grabs my arm, helping me down from the stove. "Dex stopped over looking for you two. I told him you were helping Avery move into her new apartment." She grins and walks over to the box. "No luck yet, though on the job. I hope to hear back soon," she answers with a smile. "I went through some of mom's old dishes that she never really used, along with some other kitchenware."

She reaches into the box and pulls out a toaster. "I found, a toaster, a can opener, some plates, silverware and her old microwave is in the car." She reaches back into the box. "Oh and I even went and picked up a four pack of these purple cups." She smiles holding up the cups. "Purple is my favorite color."

Jace walks over toward the door and shakes his head in disbelief. "Where did you find all of this stuff?"

Jackie laughs and gives him dumbfounded look. "In your basement. You don't remember storing mom's things down there?"

"I forgot." Jace gives Jackie a grateful look and walks outside to fetch the microwave.

I just watch Jackie as she continues to pull things from out of the box. I can't believe she's treating me so much like family. It makes me feel... good. "Thank you, Jackie." I grin and start helping her put the things away. "You really didn't have to."

Jackie brushes a strand of hair behind her ear and smiles. "Anything for family." She looks at me, making me feel like crying, before she opens the fridge and frowns. "You don't have anything in here. We're going to have to get you some groceries later. We'll just order pizza for lunch."

I nod my head, not knowing what to say. A smile creeps over my face as Jace enters the kitchen, holding the microwave. "Thank you, both," I beam.

Jace sets the microwave on the black countertop and then watches as Jackie grabs my arm and pulls me with her. "Show me around your new place."

I walk her through the living room and then into the decent sized bedroom. The bedroom is pretty much painted the same as the living room, except the carpet is a bright shade of white. It also has a walk in closet that is big enough to fit a single bed in and still has room. It's even bigger than the room I had at Jace's.

I love it.

Jackie nods her head and crosses her arms. "I like this place. Maybe one day, I'll come and take this place from you." She pauses and gives me a sad smile. "After I'm stronger of course. I can't manage to live alone right now. Joe had a very strong influence."

I reach out and gently grab her arm. "It'll happen one day. You just have to be strong." I surprise, even myself with my words of encouragement.

Less than two months ago, I was the one in dire need of help. Now I'm the one trying to give someone else the hope I never had.

Jackie lets out a small laugh and then reaches out to hug me. "I know. I realized that, after seeing my brother and you at the bowling alley that day. I saw how happy you guys made each other and I missed being that happy. It made me miss my little brother." She smiles and then heads for the door. "Let's see this bathroom of yours. Is it just as nice as the rest?"

She doesn't even wait for me to answer before she takes off, strolling to the bathroom. I follow close behind her as she steps into the bathroom and runs her hand over the glass door that surrounds the shower. She nods her head in approval and then steps over to the oval sink. She reaches above her and screws in the fourth light bulb that doesn't seem to shine as bright as the rest.

When the light flickers and then brightens up, she grins and waves her hand in front of it. "All fixed."

"The couch and bed are here."

Jackie and I both laugh and then walk into the living room together. It takes the movers a total of twenty-five minutes before they have both the bed and the couch set up and ready for use. It's slowly coming together before my eyes and I can't help but to feel happy.

Jace walks the movers outside and thanks them both for their help before handing them each a ten-dollar bill.

Jackie and I both go into the living room and sit on the couch as Jace starts putting the entertainment center together. I have to admit, he looks masculine and sexy, down on the floor putting my table together. I could sit here and watch him all damn day.

Finally, Jace glances up from the table and looks over at Jackie. "Why don't you take Avery to the store and get her some stuff to put into the fridge. I'll order a couple of pizzas and everything should be ready before you two return."

Jackie stands up from the couch and grabs my hand. "Perfect. We'll be back in thirty."

Jace stands up from the floor and drops his tools. Then he walks over and grabs me by the waist. "You girls take care of each other." He presses his lips against mine and then playfully slaps my ass. "Have fun."

We arrive back at the apartment with soda, bread, butter, milk, cheese and a few frozen boxes of chicken.

It isn't much, but it's all I really need to get me through the next day or two. After work tomorrow, I'll have to go and get a few more things for the house.

Jackie walks in front of me the whole time, pushing the door open for me and holding it open. I step inside to see Dex, Stacy and Jace all standing in the kitchen. The counter is covered with plates, cups, napkins and pizza boxes.

It makes me smile to see everyone.

I toss the bags onto the empty space on the counter and laugh. I'm completely surprised. "Whoa, where did you come from?"

Stacy grins and bounces over to me. "I love your new place. Now we'll have to start hanging out more." She leans in and gives me a hug. "It'll not be as awkward as me trying to invite myself to the boss' house." She laughs and looks over at Jace.

Jace just shakes his head and smiles. "I didn't realize the boss was so big and scary."

Dex slaps Jace on the back and laughs. "Trust me... you're not, bro." Then he walks over to stand in front of me. "This apartment is great. I'm glad you decided on this one."

I look around the place at everyone standing around chatting and smile. "Me too," I say. "I really owe a lot of thanks to you. You helped me in more ways than you know." I turn around to look at everyone. "All of you have helped me more than you even know. Thank you."

Jace grabs me by the waist, then gently rubs away the tear I didn't even noticed had fallen. "You're so special. You're special to all of us." He runs a finger over my lip, while biting his own. "I-"

"I love you," I cut him off. "I really, truly love you." My heart races, as I look him in the eye, in shock that I found the courage to say those words again.

He almost looks shocked.

It's true though. I love him. I know that now. A big part of me had even known for a while. I was just too afraid to admit it.

Jace cups my face with trembling hands as he pulls my face close to his. "I love you too," he whispers. "More than you'll ever know."

I tangle my hands through his hair and pull his lips to mine.

Suddenly, I hear whistling, clapping and shouting from behind us, followed by laughter.

"About damn time." Stacy laughs. "Holy shit! I never thought I'd witness Jace in love."

Dex pats Jace on the back and then looks over at me. "I knew it, bro. I knew it." He smiles and then grabs a slice of pizza. "I could tell from the very first day I met Avery."

Jace just shakes his head and laughs at our friends. Everyone has something to say except for Jackie. That's when I notice she isn't even in the room. I tilt my head at Jace and get ready to question where she's gone. "Where-"

My words are cut short when I hear barking coming from right outside the kitchen door. I give Jace a questionable look and then reach for the door handle.

Jace just smiles and looks up toward the ceiling as if everything is normal.

The door swings open to Jackie standing there with a beautiful Siberian husky in her arms. She looks up at me and then hands me the puppy. "Look what I found in the back of Jace's car," she laughs. "Weird, huh?"

I take the puppy in my arms and look behind me at Jace. "Holy shit! What is this?" I ask, amazed. I've never had a dog or any other kind of pet before.

Jace smirks and walks over to stand next to me. He reaches out and rubs the puppy's head before kissing my cheek. "I can't let my woman be alone, when I'm not around. I want you to always feel wanted and needed. Just like you are."

I set my lip into a pout and rub the dog's soft fur. It looks up at me with beautiful baby blues and whines.

"I don't know what to say." I set the puppy down in the kitchen and it takes off running around in excitement while taking turns being sure to jump up on everyone. The sight makes me giggle. It's so playful and free. "Thank you, Jace."

Jace grabs for a slice of pizza and hands it to me. "You're welcome." He grins and then grabs a slice for himself. "Go look in that closet." He points over to the closet, next to the pantry and then takes a bite of his pizza.

I look around at everyone as they all stare at me. "Okay," I say nervously. I walk over to the closet and pull the door open. The bottom shelf is full of puppy food, puppy treats and puppy toys. Then right above that, are the puppy dishes and leashes. They're all blue.

"A boy," I say with a laugh. "Thank you. Thank you for all of this. You didn't have to do this, Jace."

Jace walks over and reaches up on the top shelf. "That's not all." He smiles as he pulls down a huge puppy bed and hands it to me. "He needs somewhere to sleep as well."

I look down at the soft bed, smile, and then set it down next to the fridge. "What's his name?"

Jace looks down at the puppy that is now jumping all over Stacey, jumping on her as she pets him. Then he looks back over at me, leaning against the fridge. "What do you want it to be?"

I point to myself and shake my head. "I can't name him. You-"

He grabs my hand and places it on his chest. Then he runs his hand over my face and sucks his bottom lip in. "He's yours. You name him."

I look down at my new puppy and laugh as he comes running over to me, slipping across the floor in the process. "Look at you. You're so darn cute." I crouch down and pick him up as he licks the side of my face. "Lucky. That'll be your name because I'm lucky to have all of this." I wave my arms out in front of me and end up falling back as Lucky jumps at me.

Jace bends down next to us and pats Lucky's head. "Lucky," he pauses. "I like that name."

"Lucky," Jackie calls.

Lucky glances behind him, but doesn't make a move.

Jace stands up and watches as Lucky plops down in front of his feet. He shrugs his shoulders and smiles at Jackie. "Well... it'll take him a little time to get used to his name."

Jackie waves a dismissive hand at Jace and then reaches for her cell. "I'll be right back," she says nonchalantly.

I just stand back and watch as everyone enjoys each other's company, laughing and telling stories. It's an amazing feeling and things are starting to feel complete.

I feel complete for the first time in my life...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9M 179K 64
Cal Jackson's new life as a rockstar fails to account for one thing: the existence of the girl he loves. ***** "What are you thinking about?" she ask...
397 33 15
She wanted to know what pain was, silly little girl just open the dictionary look up the word pain and watch as your life plays like a movie. Watch a...
50.4K 1.3K 22
[ SLOWLY EDITING - COMPLETED ] ***WARNING: I WROTE THIS WHEN I WAS 12 YEARS OLD. PROCEED WITH CAUTION {CONSTRUCTION} Clarissa Morgenstern is off on a...
594 42 24
I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as he stared across the table at me. I could seriously drown in his eyes. He was intoxicatingly attractive and he...